Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

I've got a new itch bundle/sale on! It's my Last Quarter Moon Sale (covering the time between the last quarter moon and new moon, every moon phase cycle). Normally it's just for Over the Moon, my 2-player PbP dating comedy-horror game, but this time it also includes From Sea to Shining Sea, my GMless game of sci-fi gonzo journalistic trips on the dark side of the moon! They're 25% off individually ($3.75 and $7.50 respectively), or 33% off in the $10 bundle.

FStSS also got a hell of a review for the Sandy Pug Game Awards:

https://twitter.com/AdiraSlattery/status/1217843001621450756

The sale will end on the new moon, so approximately a week from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Lemon-Lime posted:

Good time with friends is better than time spent with friends that is made mediocre by playing a bad game. Just spend your time with friends doing something else instead.

This is tricky when the friends all want to play that game. It is doubly tricky when the reason they want that is not that they all individually like it but because it is the group’s found compromise, or Abilene Paradox.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's the direct opposite of a system in which the fighter is interesting.

Okay, then answer the question...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay, then answer the question...

4E, obviously.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemon-Lime posted:

4E, obviously.

Comeon quit trolling and answer the question :cheeky:

I'm about to start a new game with some friends and I'm honestly interested in looking at new systems, I'm DMing and they've said they kinda trust me since they're not as experienced.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

4e Brawler Fighter is seriously one of the most fun classes ever made, hands down. I’m having problems even thinking of competition. Maybe a Bound in The Spire? I haven’t gotten to actually play it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Okay well I'm not about to make everybody else play 4th just so the fighter class isn't bad. I'd rather simply not have any fighters in the party.

4th is really the best answer?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay well I'm not about to make everybody else play 4th just so the fighter class isn't bad. I'd rather simply not have any fighters in the party.

What’s wrong with 4th Edition (Or Spire)?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

I am a major 4e fan and partisan but it's hard to recommend coming in cold, right now. It's really hard to give someone a list of "buy these books but also the giant errata document."

It unironically is the best at what you need, but it's tough as a real-life recommendation right now. Well, without :filez: at least.

You can look at Dungeon Crawl Classics for a great Fighter class, but there's not a wealth of other good recommendations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zaphod42 posted:

It's a good game, Zaphod.

Well, as good as D&D gets.

(don't play D&D)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

What’s wrong with 4th Edition (Or Spire)?

Everybody I know hates it so I'm real surprised this thread is super big on it apparently?

It makes all classes feel extremely same-y. It also feels like a videogame. You just get buttons to push. Its great for teaching people new to D&D how to play, but just feels bland.

My favorite system is D10 White Wolf so I was planning on running a game of Mage, I love the improvised spellcasting and overall I find D10 is real easy to pick up for newbies. But I was planning on ending the campaign after a bit and then switching to either Pathfinder or maybe 5th.

Splicer posted:

It's a good game, Zaphod.

Well, as good as D&D gets.

(don't play D&D)

Hmm.

I mean, I fully asked that question intending to get a non-D&D answer... I'm confused why everybody was like "haha fighters are so bad in 5th!" and then I'm like "hey so what's a good system" and then... crickets?

What do you guys play? That should be a reasonable question...

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
All this 4E love is making me really excited to start playtesting my 4E-total-conversion of Lancer when my group wraps up Torchbearer in the spring.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Oh... oh no

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody I know hates it so I'm real surprised this thread is super big on it apparently?

It makes all classes feel extremely same-y. It also feels like a videogame. You just get buttons to push. Its great for teaching people new to D&D how to play, but just feels bland.

My favorite system is D10 White Wolf so I was planning on running a game of Mage, I love the improvised spellcasting and overall I find D10 is real easy to pick up for newbies. But I was planning on ending the campaign after a bit and then switching to either Pathfinder or maybe 5th.

Hmm.

I mean, I fully asked that question intending to get a non-D&D answer... I'm confused why everybody was like "haha fighters are so bad in 5th!" and then I'm like "hey so what's a good system" and then... crickets?

Any particular setting type you want? Crunch level?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Please stop trolling by reposting 12 year old memes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zaphod, this is how this particular edition war goes:

Zaphod42 posted:

It makes all classes feel extremely same-y.
It makes classes balanced by using compatible mechanics for all of them. In actual play, they do not feel samey.

quote:

It also feels like a videogame. You just get buttons to push.
RPGs have a lot to learn from video games. Having every player getting lots of buttons to push is cool and good. Also, every single one of those buttons you push is open to re-flavoring; D&D 4e is the most flavor-supporting D&D ever made, because mechanics are not so tightly coupled to prosaic descriptions.

quote:

Its great for teaching people new to D&D how to play,
It is not that, actually, that's one of it's huge failings. No D&D game has ever been good at it, really.

quote:

but just feels bland.
you're doing it wrong

If I may suggest, don't respond to those comments I just made, regardless of whether you agree or disagree. We've had this conversation here in TG for a decade, nobody has anything new to say about it. If you're not into 4e that's totally fine, there are other games.

Do you need to have lots of magic? Interesting fighters are easiest to have in games where there aren't spellcasters inevitably getting to do far more to affect the outcomes of encounters and adventures. Low-magic and no-magic fantasy settings may be better. Alternatively, consider playing a game that has no fighter class at all.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Zaphod42 posted:

Hmm.

So the core answer to this question is that 4e is the game that a lot of people here play. I’ve not found that the classes play very similarly in practice, despite using a common lexicon of keywords and technical language. It goes a lot farther to empower the players to make useful and interesting choices, especially as their characters level up, regardless of class.

In the general “D&D-like,” DCC and SotDL are solid choices and fairly popular, though I’d extend Lancer as an option, though it’s a mech game so some of its thematics are quite different.

Moving further afield, popular games tend to PbtA or PbtA-derived, though Dungeon World implements too many D&Disms to really be recommended. If you’re looking for a fantasy adventure PbtA game, then Fellowship is a good choice. If your people are looking for something a bit more crimey, then Blades in the Dark could be a solid choice, but I’d personally lean in support of Spire.

Belonging Outside Belonging games, meanwhile, tend to be a bit more heavy on the feels and light on the fighting, so it might not be a good fit for a group looking for something more traditional. The same could be said for the my personal favorite engine of choice, the Firebrands engine, but it’s real good.

Luke Crane’s games (Torchbearer, Burning Wheel, Mouse Guard, etc.) might be worth looking into for a more crunch experience, as might Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying. Finally, I’d recommend taking a look at Genesys games. There’s definitely some flaws at work there (people in particularly find fault with the bespoke dice and difficulty adjudicating mixed results), but it still generates interesting play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also look into modiphius' 2d20 system for something more familiar to D&D players, but with a particular focus on fighter combat without super deep minis-on-a-grid tactical combats, e.g. Conan. But in Conan you are not gonna play a swiss army knife wizard.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The real crux of the issue, and the real reason why a lot of the game design and board game nerds tend to flock towards 4e, is that every version of Dungeons and Dragons, including every retroclone and heartbreaker, quietly operates under the assumption that once combat breaks out the game needs to immediately transition into a tabletop skirmish game. D&D was (and is) a game made by and for wargaming nerds, not by actors or storytellers. If you don't want a game that makes those assumptions, you don't actually want to be playing Dungeons and Dragons and should be playing something else.

If you DO want something that makes those assumptions, then it's really loving difficult to justify playing anything other than the system that has the best combat, and from a game design perspective it's really loving difficult to justify playing anything other than 4e. That it "feels like a video game" is missing the point, because it's supposed to feel like you're playing a game, because you're playing a game that's supposed to feel like a game.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Speaking of TTRPGs and video games, what’s that Legacy game that’s clearly just Castlevania but also incredibly good? I highly recommend that one too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

If I may suggest, don't respond to those comments I just made, regardless of whether you agree or disagree. We've had this conversation here in TG for a decade, nobody has anything new to say about it. If you're not into 4e that's totally fine, there are other games.

If I may suggest.... maybe don't obsessively break that down line by line if you yourself recognize its not worth having the argument. Dumping all those counterarguments and then demanding you get the last word and I not respond is a pretty weak move. Someone asked "what's wrong with 4th?" So I gave a quick answer. But all I was wanting to know was what systems y'all play and what systems y'all think fighters are good in. If 4th is the only answer, so be it.

Leperflesh posted:

Do you need to have lots of magic? Interesting fighters are easiest to have in games where there aren't spellcasters inevitably getting to do far more to affect the outcomes of encounters and adventures. Low-magic and no-magic fantasy settings may be better. Alternatively, consider playing a game that has no fighter class at all.

Not necessarily, but I find that magic systems can be one of the most expressive tools for roleplaying. I haven't played the Conan game though, but I am potentially down for minis-on-a-grid tactics so maybe I'll look that up next.

A bummer if it doesn't have magic (makes sense for the setting) but then I'm all about house rules and have even made up my own systems and rulebooks before, so I could always change that myself. Course, its a lot less likely to be well balanced if I do that :cheeky:

Y'all are kinda jumping to conclusions here. Relax.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 18, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Not necessarily, but I find that magic systems can be one of the most expressive tools for roleplaying. I haven't played the Conan game though, but I am potentially down for minis-on-a-grid tactics so maybe I'll look that up next.

Conan is specifically not minis-on-a-grid; it uses a zones mechanic that means you can get away without minis at all for most fights.

quote:

Y'all are kinda jumping to conclusions here. Relax.
you dropped a grenade in the thread, and I'll grant you you didn't know you were doing it, but nonetheless, there's the grenade.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

you dropped a grenade in the thread, and I'll grant you you didn't know you were doing it, but nonetheless, there's the grenade.

Someone asked. Me thinks you doth protest too much :)

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Someone asked. Me thinks you doth protest too much :)

Weird how you choose to only engage with this argument rather than say... the big list of potential games that I provided you.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

So I gave a quick answer.

Amazing how disingenuous you can be.

Meinberg posted:

Speaking of TTRPGs and video games, what’s that Legacy game that’s clearly just Castlevania but also incredibly good? I highly recommend that one too.

:yeah: https://ufopress.co.uk/product/rhapsody/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Meinberg posted:

Weird how you choose to only engage with this argument rather than say... the big list of potential games that I provided you.

This is strangely hostile. I read everything you wrote. Sorry I didn't respond personally and thank you???

Lemon-Lime posted:

gently caress right off Lemon-Lime

This is what I said, verbatim

Zaphod42 posted:

I literally wrote a single line about it. I spent more time talking about D10 than 4th.

Ironically, you're the one being disengenous

Lemon-Lime posted:

Please stop trolling by reposting 12 year old memes.

Please hit the ignore button and never talk to me again, I never want to speak with you. Ever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

:yeah: https://ufopress.co.uk/product/rhapsody/

Rhapsody of Blood is so hecking good! I need to dig into Voidheart Symphony some more soon, the modern day version with some tarot symbolism added in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Has anybody played Kids on Bikes or Overlight? Those were the last 2 new systems I was curious about.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I apologize for contributing to the slapfighting.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Zaphod42 posted:

Has anybody played Kids on Bikes or Overlight? Those were the last 2 new systems I was curious about.

Kids on Bikes is serviceable but not very engaging. Tales from the Loop is a much more thematic and in-depth implementation of the same ideas.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

This is strangely hostile. I read everything you wrote. Sorry I didn't respond personally and thank you???

gently caress right off Lemon-Lime

This is what I said, verbatim

I literally wrote a single line about it. I spent more time talking about D10 than 4th.

Ironically, you're the one being disengenous

Please hit the ignore button and never talk to me again, I never want to speak with you. Ever.
You posted a "best of" list of one-liner edition war stuff that has been repeated ad nauseam and isn't accurate. Leperflesh wasn't exactly arguing with you or trying to get any kind of last word - he was telling you exactly what the argument would turn into, and recommending against trying to rehash a 'debate' all the regulars here mocked and got sick of many years ago.

And you're getting really touchy and aggressive about it and it's kinda weird.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
The year is 2053 and in the center of a packed, silent stadium sit two men at a table.

The first man says, "It was like a video game."

The second man says, "Video games are good."

The first man says, "Every class is the same."

The second man says, "It is balanced."

No one remembers what any of it means but every year they carry on performing the ritual.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I'm with Froghammer: if you want to play D&D, 4e is the best edition. If you don't want to play 4e, you don't actually want to play D&D.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I will reiterate that LANCER is a very good D&D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

You posted a "best of" list of one-liner edition war stuff that has been repeated ad nauseam and isn't accurate. Leperflesh wasn't exactly arguing with you or trying to get any kind of last word - he was telling you exactly what the argument would turn into, and recommending against trying to rehash a 'debate' all the regulars here mocked and got sick of many years ago.

And you're getting really touchy and aggressive about it and it's kinda weird.

I was asked why I don't like 4th and posted my legit feelings from having played it and what I've heard other people say. If that's a "best of" ... okay? Doesn't that make sense that you'd hear common criticisms? Shouldn't be that crazy.

Leperflesh is fine. I just thought it was worth pointing out that if he didn't want to have the argument, he shouldn't have the argument at all. That seems like a reasonable point. Quoting and responding to each point line by line is continuing the argument, and demanding it stop after you have the last word is, like I said, kinda lame. Either we talk about it or we don't. But if Leperflesh was the only person who responded it'd be a different conversation.

Let it go, we've already moved on.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 18, 2020

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I (and a lot of people who post in this corner of SA) spent a literal loving decade talking about 4e in various forums and having to listen and attempt to respond to various permutations of "4e is bad because X", only to have X turn out to be bellyfeel over and over and over again.

If you wanna know why people respond negatively to "4e is like a videogame", that's why.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

13th Age is pretty great if you can't do 4e because that well has been poisoned.

It's got its shortcomings, but it still stands out in an overcrowded field.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I’m sorry everyone, I was hoping this wouldn’t go the way it always goes. I thought that was over, but now I see it will never end.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Joe Slowboat posted:

I’m sorry everyone, I was hoping this wouldn’t go the way it always goes. I thought that was over, but now I see it will never end.
Edition war...edition war never changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TheArchimage posted:

I'm with Froghammer: if you want to play D&D, 4e is the best edition. If you don't want to play 4e, you don't actually want to play D&D.

I dunno, I'd argue that Basic is also pretty good