Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The end of Return of the King almost seems like a troll, the way each possible ending fades out for a few seconds before fading back in with something else.

The length of the ending is excessive if you watch just that movie, but it feels about right for the end of the trilogy of movies. By the time you've been through nine hours of hobbits, it feels like they deserve a bit of a long send-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gort posted:

The length of the ending is excessive if you watch just that movie, but it feels about right for the end of the trilogy of movies. By the time you've been through nine hours of hobbits, it feels like they deserve a bit of a long send-off.

well, mission loving accomplished.

Count me in as feeling like it ended 15 times. It was the best of the trilogy but my god I was ready to leave

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I was one of those people who was annoyed that they left out the Scouring of the Shire which, to me, is near to being the point of the whole thing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Imagined posted:

I was one of those people who was annoyed that they left out the Scouring of the Shire which, to me, is near to being the point of the whole thing.

:same:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I'll sit through any number of endings to hear Annie Lennox sing "Into the West", poo poo is dope. I sing it to my son at bedtime.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
To be fair, they saved up an ending by not having one in fellowship, so as a whole the trilogy had just the right amount of endings.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The thing about The Lord of the Rings is that it was written as one volume, broken up internally into six books, but meant to be published whole. The publisher broke it up into three volumes somewhat arbitrarily, and Tolkien didn't even name them. In fact, he particularly disliked the name 'The Return of the King' for being a spoiler.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Imagined posted:

I think it's the one change that Tolkien really would have taken issue with. He always insisted that Sauron wasn't Hitler, and that was true: LOTR was much more of a metaphor for the Great War. The Shire is Britain outside the cities, Frodo is a young officer from the gentleman class and Sam is his batman, an aide-cum-manservant who would typically have worked on his master's estate in some capacity. Saruman in this metaphor is industrialised warfare, as destructive to the people using it as to their enemies. The Scouring of the Shire was inspired not by the war but by his return from war to a Britain that had been changed permanently by the industrialisation required to fight that war. To Tolkien this was giving the victory to Saruman in exchange for beating Sauron, and the Scouring is his wish that things hadn't changed in that way.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jedit posted:

LOTR was much more of a metaphor for the Great War.

No it isn't.

JRR Tolkien posted:

As for any inner meaning or ‘message’, it has in the intention of the author none. It is neither allegorical nor topical. . . But I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence.

quote:

The Scouring of the Shire was inspired not by the war but by his return from war to a Britain that had been changed permanently by the industrialisation required to fight that war.

No it wasn't.

JRR Tolkien posted:

it has been supposed by some that ‘The Scouring of the Shire’ reflects the situation in England at the time when I was finishing my tale. It does not. It is an essential part of the plot, foreseen from the outset, though in the event modified by the character of Saruman as developed in the story without, need I say, any allegorical significance or contemporary political reference whatsoever. It has indeed some basis in experience, though slender (for the economic situation was entirely different), and much further back. The country in which I lived in childhood was being shabbily destroyed before I was ten, in days when motor-cars were rare objects (I had never seen one) and men were still building suburban railways. Recently I saw in a paper a picture of the last decrepitude of the once thriving corn-mill beside its pool that long ago seemed to me so important. I never liked the looks of the Young miller, but his father, the Old miller, had a black beard, and he was not named Sandyman.

https://whistlinginthewind.org/2019/02/20/the-scouring-of-the-shire-is-the-opposite-of-what-people-think-it-is/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Never take an author at their word when they explain what their work is "really about".

In Tolkien's books the lion isn't literally Jesus, but there's still clear inspiration/metaphor etc. even if he wasn't conscious of it at the time. No one writes in a vacuum.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sassassin posted:

Never take an author at their word when they explain what their work is "really about".

In Tolkien's books the lion isn't literally Jesus, but there's still clear inspiration/metaphor etc. even if he wasn't conscious of it at the time. No one writes in a vacuum.

The lion was in CS Lewis's books, and it literally was Jesus.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I love that The Magicians has a Narnia and it is integral to the plot of the show

Part of me wishes they'd just called it Narnia, but I also understand that would involve leveling some very malicious accusations at CS Lewis

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
from what I understand, tolkien got p salty about the blatant 1:1 historical comparisons to recent wars bc lotr was primarily a catholic metaphor not a war metaphor, with a heaping helping of 'gently caress industrialization' thrown in bc a simple humble life is best (bc again: catholic values)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think it's just a situation where a guy was immersed in a certain period of significant human history and of course had very strong feelings about it, so it would be very tough for that to not leak into his work at least in some way. Doesn't mean he was doing it purposefully or that there are any real 1:1 comparisons in the story.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Tolkein disliked allegory but was well aware that an author's life experience/culture will inevitably inform the work. To expand on the quote Imagined posted

Tolkein posted:

I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author. An author cannot of course remain wholly unaffected by his experience, but the ways in which a story-germ uses the soil of experience are extremely complex, and attempts to define the process are at best guesses from evidence that is inadequate and ambiguous.

Allegory is deliberate, coding and symbolism not necessarily.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Where's my Nextwave TV show at Disney?

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

The end of Return of the King almost seems like a troll, the way each possible ending fades out for a few seconds before fading back in with something else.

I saw it in theaters and it was about 1am when we got to the end. I was extremely tired and definitely trolled by the false endings.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Someone once suggested sitting down and watching all three Lord of the Rings films in a row and I told them they were out of their loving mind. Then they clarified that they meant the extended editions so I hit them with a brick.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Someone once suggested sitting down and watching all three Lord of the Rings films in a row and I told them they were out of their loving mind. Then they clarified that they meant the extended editions so I hit them with a brick.

It's something that would've been possible in my 20s but I'm in my mid-30s now and I just don't have the stamina. Once I get into the third hour of a movie my eyes start to get very heavy and by hour 4 it's nap time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I think I did that back in highschool? But it was less watching them and more they played on a second tv while I played videogames

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I've tried it. I faltered halfway through The Two Towers.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
You fools. You do it over the course of three days or three weekends, never all at once.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I marathoned the extended edition in my early twenties, with food breaks. It was a fun way to spend a day with some pals. I don't think I could do it again though.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I've watched all the extended editions in a row three times because I really, REALLY loved those movies when they came out and also because I'm a huge moron I guess

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I saw the first two in theaters and a decent chunk or the third one when it was on TV one time.

I have no urge to watch them again even though I liked them a lot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I couldn't even watch a marathon of just the third Hobbit movie without nodding off.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Veib posted:

I've watched all the extended editions in a row three times because I really, REALLY loved those movies when they came out and also because I'm a huge moron I guess

It's an annual party event at my house, we call it the Hobbit Bowl and serve multiple courses of baked goods.

Very few people stick around for the full day though.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I couldn't even watch a marathon of just the third Hobbit movie without nodding off.

That's because that movie is absolute poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's literally a quarter of what we supposed to be the end of part 2 and more than two hours if filler that was added in reshoots.

Also the entire endless chase at the end of part 2 was the same.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Veib posted:

Big same. I was also a bachelor in my 20s with more time than sense.

I still took a few hours of intermissions for lunch and dinner. And thinking back I did tune the gently caress out for big stretches of ROTK. It did have some really weak moments, eg they went full Ninjagolas.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Return of the King, why did Tyrion, Tanis, and Hidalgo get off of the Boat and risk their lives fighting when they had an army of cursed Ghosts lead by Captain Barbossa to kill all of the orcs?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The best part of the Hobbit films is the special features on the extended editions. They're something like 60 hours.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Oswald Kesselpot posted:

Return of the King, why did Tyrion, Tanis, and Hidalgo get off of the Boat and risk their lives fighting when they had an army of cursed Ghosts lead by Captain Barbossa to kill all of the orcs?

I thought it was interesting that they showed the dead literally fighting, sweeping in like a wave. In the book I think they say the dead "need no other weapon than fear".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Oswald Kesselpot posted:

Because they're dumbasses

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Never saw any hobbit movie from start to go finish but from the clips I’ve seen it’s amazing they had 5 times the budget and made the films looks worse than the LOTR

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Time for ten more pages of everyone's extremely cold Lord of the Rings takes!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

packetmantis posted:

Time for ten more pages of everyone's extremely cold Lord of the Rings takes!

Be the change you want to see in the thread

The fact that none of the physical releases of Avatar the Last Airbender have the popup trivia tracks that aired on the Nicktoons Network reruns

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Just finished watching the new Dracula series, and while there were plenty rational irritating moments that stood out there's one part thats completely irrational but still made me incredibly annoyed.

When Dracula is texting Lucy, he's being clever and sends her a vampire emoji. You know, the one with fangs and a cape. The emoji thats based on Dracula, the book, which quite clearly wasn't a thing in the world of this series where Dracula really exists. And the book couldn't have appeared as something inspired by real events, because half of its cast pops up with names unchanged in the present day.

:drac:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Clearly in that universe it's based off of Stephenie Meyer's hit book series about an immortal European noble who preys on young high school girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Prince Andrew wore a cape?