Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cool, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
I was making my own dough for years, I found a good recipe in my bread maker book that came out really nice so I stuck with it, but lately I found this Italian import shop/restaurant that opened a few years ago by us that sells dough in a bag, made fresh every day. $1.75 per bag that makes a perfect 14" pizza or whatever else you want to make with it like bread sticks, calzone, pepperoni rolls.

I even tried a Detroit style deep dish with this dough that came out OK although I dont have a good steel pan for this, maybe I should try cast iron? Its also a pain in the rear end to form the dough into a 9x13 rectangle as its so elastic and you have to oil the pan bottom, so you can see how this causes a problem. Any tips for deep dish? I really like the Detroit style with crispy edges and the crispy cheese on the edges it makes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
kenjis cast iron or Detroit style pizza are good starting points

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

You can also get a big slab of steel from your local metal distributor place. I got an 18x18x0.5" for like $30. Have to season it (I soaked mine it white vinegar for like 2 days to strip it) then I washed it with clean water real well and oiled it down. Thing works awesome but its basically a plate of tank armor so it is heavy as all hell (I think somewhere around 60 pounds)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Please, my pizza... it's very sick

So yeah, I made that weird pizza thing from the last page. And, it's honestly really good. I'd make it again. Lots of surface area for crispy bits on the outside, and the inside's not all gooey like I was worried it might be. Glad to be here on the bold new frontier of meaty cheese bread.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I知 gonna have to ask that you post a recipe for that right now tia

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

RandomPauI posted:

There's a pizza based dish called Party Bread, it's basically a calzone thats cut into strips before being baked, with the strips of dough and filling weaved together. It looks and tasted good. I made one inspired by turkey sandwiches. But it was so loaded with dairy that my stomach protested. Oh well. Here is the original recipe for Italian Party Bread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DPCIlGloJA

I just followed the recipe from the video, using the same pizza dough recipe I normally make for, uh, pizza.

I did forget the peppers and have to squeeze a couple in after it was shaped, and the bites with those in them are pretty tasty and go well with the other flavors, so I'd recommend not forgetting those when you make it.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
New year, new pizzas!

Margherita

Pepperoni

Pickled onions

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm going to try making a stromboli today, should I use a baking sheet or pizza steel?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Anyone got some reccomendations for cheese type for Detroit style? I just bought a Lloyd's pan and want to experiment but I feel like my normal mozz that I use on NY style isn't appropriate?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think half and half jack and low moisture mozz would work just fine for Detroit style. Also good call on that pan, it is so so good.

e: Just as a suggestion for the detroit pies, I don't think the recipes necessarily call for much olive oil in the pan itself under the dough, but use a few REAL healthy glugs. I've never made one with the specific kind of cheese called out in the Detroit recipe (Brick), so idk that you get the same fat and oil dripping effect that lets the crust fry up crispy on the bottom without that. So long as you have plenty of olive oil in there though, you'll get a perfectly golden crisp bottomed crust for sure.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 17, 2020

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
My boy Chef John (Food Wishes) uses 2 parts Monterey Jack to 1 part cheddar as a stand-in for brick cheese.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

cr0y posted:

Anyone got some reccomendations for cheese type for Detroit style? I just bought a Lloyd's pan and want to experiment but I feel like my normal mozz that I use on NY style isn't appropriate?

I have heard that a few of the real famous Detroit pizza places use a blend of Mozz, Provolone, and Munster. I have no idea on the ratio though, maybe 50/25/25 or 40/30/30.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have recommendations for a recipe using a sourdough starter? I知 using my oven with a baking steel, so probably no neopolitan recipes since I can only get to 600 degrees on the steel, but I知 looking to try anything.

I normally just do NY style cheese pizzas, but I致e been keeping a starter active for the last few months for bread.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just do the exact same thing you would with 66% hydration bread. That already fits your schedule rather then trying some pizzaforums recipe.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So first go around with the detroit style experiment went....sorta ok. I ended up just making some garlic breadstick things because i wanted to experiment with crust. I noticed that placing the pan on the middle rack in my (gas) oven left the bottom of the crust under-done. Should I be putting the pan closer to the bottom? I am assuming with the burner being at the bottom that would put more heat underneath? I actually got it to finally toast up by placing the pan directly on the floor of the oven but am not sure what the proper strategy is. My laser thermometer registered the floor of the oven as "HIGH!" which means it was over 800 degrees which I think might be too hot to start with (burning the crust before the top is baked. More science is required.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you could always but a baking stone or steel in the oven while preheating and put the pizza pan on it

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So second try. It turned out nothing like Detroit style to due me being an impatient bitch and not letting the dough rise enough (I just used my emergency quick dough recipe) so it ended up like a dense pan pizza. That being said it was drat tasty and I really am enjoying the pan.

PICS!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That black edge... I want to just eat that

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Hell yeah. That's beautiful.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Want!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

cr0y posted:

So first go around with the detroit style experiment went....sorta ok. I ended up just making some garlic breadstick things because i wanted to experiment with crust. I noticed that placing the pan on the middle rack in my (gas) oven left the bottom of the crust under-done. Should I be putting the pan closer to the bottom? I am assuming with the burner being at the bottom that would put more heat underneath? I actually got it to finally toast up by placing the pan directly on the floor of the oven but am not sure what the proper strategy is. My laser thermometer registered the floor of the oven as "HIGH!" which means it was over 800 degrees which I think might be too hot to start with (burning the crust before the top is baked. More science is required.

I cook mine with the pan resting directly on the pre heated pizza steel, it makes a fabulously crisp crust on the bottom.

Your cheese pics look loving great.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

I cook mine with the pan resting directly on the pre heated pizza steel, it makes a fabulously crisp crust on the bottom.

Your cheese pics look loving great.

What temp? I did the above one at 475 and occasionally dropped it on the floor of the oven because the bottom wasn't toasting up. It worked out ok but it was a pain in the rear end. Using my pizza steel sounds like a really good idea.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

made a few pizzas over the weekend

white pizza with feta, parmigiano reggiano and mozzarella

sopressa and mozzarella

spicy sopressa and mozzarella

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I made cast iron pies last night using this recipe from Serious Eats:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

It turned out amazing but I want to figure out how to get my cheese to melt into a continuous sheet rather than melting in clumps.

Is it how fine I shred it? How I spread it over the dough? Is straight up mozzarella from the cheese aisle fine or do I need to go to the artisan cheese cooler in the deli and get something "aged"?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think i usually go with a mix of mozz and pepperjack when i use that recipe but you shouldn't need to buy fancy cheese, just look for full fat, low moisture mozz. i use this one and get it at winco for 3-4 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/Frigo-Mozzarella-Cheese-16-oz/dp/B000QCNRJI/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I love how the whole thing just slides out of the pan. The crust is so dang good.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

cr0y posted:

What temp? I did the above one at 475 and occasionally dropped it on the floor of the oven because the bottom wasn't toasting up. It worked out ok but it was a pain in the rear end. Using my pizza steel sounds like a really good idea.

525 is good if your oven will go that high.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I made cast iron pies last night using this recipe from Serious Eats:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

Another question is what kind of yeast do I use for this recipe? I can't find the SAF stuff the recipe recommends but I've been using Fleischmanns ActiveDry because it's what I have. Unfortunately the dough never seems to get huge like the recipe warns. Even after 12-15 hours it only rose like 2x the size.

What am I doing wrong? Should the water be warmer?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

since you're using AD are you activating the yeast?

imho find some instant even if not SAF and never look back

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think I figured it out. I was mis-measuring the water and not using enough.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did you use liquid ounces for the water

you might try using lukewarm water, around 90 degrees

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

did you use liquid ounces for the water

you might try using lukewarm water, around 90 degrees

I actually did both of those things this time and it's working out way better.

As I'm sure most folks know, 8 dry ounces and 8 fluid ounces are not the same goddamn thing.

E: yeah after letting it rise overnight, this dough got fuckin YUGE.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 25, 2020

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

After seeing those detroit style Pizza, had to give it a go.

Think it needs a little more oil and cooking time but nearly there...

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Jamsta posted:

After seeing those detroit style Pizza, had to give it a go.

Think it needs a little more oil and cooking time but nearly there...

Would crush that pizza.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I can't find the SAF stuff the recipe recommends
You can get SAF on Amazon

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

nwin posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a recipe using a sourdough starter? I知 using my oven with a baking steel, so probably no neopolitan recipes since I can only get to 600 degrees on the steel, but I知 looking to try anything.

I normally just do NY style cheese pizzas, but I致e been keeping a starter active for the last few months for bread.

My wife and I use the King Arthur recipe for sourdough pizza crust and it's been working really well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I actually did both of those things this time and it's working out way better.

As I'm sure most folks know, 8 dry ounces and 8 fluid ounces are not the same goddamn thing.

E: yeah after letting it rise overnight, this dough got fuckin YUGE.

With water, 8 ounces dry or fluid are pretty much the same thing. Certainly not enough of a difference to make your yeast not activate.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

With water, 8 ounces dry or fluid are pretty much the same thing. Certainly not enough of a difference to make your yeast not activate.

Eh, I poured "a cup" of water into an OXO fluid ounces vessel and it was enough that adding it in made a world of a difference in the rising process.

The dough ended up way more sticky but it didn't necessarily cook up all that differently. Maybe it was a little less tough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Submitted for the approval of the pizzagoon society, I call this shroomza