Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It drops food production by 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

alex314 posted:

It drops food production by 1.

It was only a guess :shrug:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
A eunuch produces 2 food and causes a 10% salary increase on everyone. Some of them might have powerful titles to compensate though, I haven't looked at the Emperor yet.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Started as Liu Cheng in the 190 start date. Rushed Chang An and am now the Prime Minister by turn 10 :toot:

Don't really know what to do now, keep picking on Dong Zhuo?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

As an inexperienced player, I really liked Sun Jian's 182 start location - you get the basic tutorial fights, then spend several turns slapping down event-generated bands of pirates, and then have vast areas of unclaimed lands to hoover up while the north burns with rebellion. Though I didn't have much to fight and got a little bored by 188, so I started marching my army north to get into some fights just as the Emperor ate it and the empire fell apart into factions so I could finally start my "gently caress you" war with my neighbor. But you have lots of time to build up your provinces before the Royal Rumble starts, which I like.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Asehujiko posted:

WTF is wrong with He Jin's army, why does he move at 1/3rd of the speed of everybody else? Three times now I've slowly lumbered up to a YT settlement, only to end up assisting some other rear end in a top hat who overtook my army. Also not digging the emperor's play style of having 30 lovely courtiers who's only possible interactions are distributing their skill points that they'll never use and voting the worst one of them off the island to replace them with some other lovely courtier who so happens to have a red marker instead of a green one next to their name.

Is it possible you have a spy in the army? They can tank your movement I believe

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spent way too many turns just getting the emperors income positive. Man is playing him suffering. How do you annex with political influence? Is it just a click and march affair like with the Yellow Turbans?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
playing as the emperor seems p. chill?

even on legendary difficulty, it seems like you can just chill in your home base while your vassals/warlords deal with the yellow turbans

just like in the romance/history, the yellow turbans get put down relatively easily

the only thing you really have to worry about is maintaining the balance wrt the eunuchs, dynasty, and warlords

also the eunuchs are a necessary evil as they provide you with badly needed food and basically everybody else in the mandate of heaven scenario is food-poor, so you can't really make up for that loss without the eunuchs

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Just reduce the size of your capital by one and assign members of your court to boost food production, food is pretty easy to deal with.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
All the preview videos I watched I saw Liu Hong being pretty simple difficultly-wise.

Lu Zhi on the other hand? Boy is that an uphill battle at all times.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Love to be the southernmost Zhang brother defending against every stack heading north while my 2 brothers expand freely.

Jesus the beginning is a slog for Zhang Liang, at least he's good for all these defensive battles. There's no way for me to expand until my brothers are able to take the east and west of me. In one turn my single army stack had to defend against 3 enemy stacks, almost made it through them but my generals started getting dropped in the 3rd battle.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
enjoying mandate of heaven but I started as the Prince of Chen and it kinda felt like, there wasnt that much to do? I just kind of sat around for the first 20ish turns, not super engaging.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Feel very confused by how to play Three Kingdoms in general. My experience so far has been playing Cao Cao and immediately getting into some kind of horrible thunderdome situation where I get owned by every loving rear end in a top hat neighbor I have and only being able to afford one full stack.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Liu Bei is great in Mandate of Heaven. You start with just him (no Peach buddies) and no land, doing small quests to keep the peace, fighting small Looter bands and such. Then eventually you get given a city that is right on the front lines of the Mandate war, so you're constantly fighting off armies and dealing with rebellions (so much Fervor). It's a lot of fun juggling all that with your ~1 army

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SunAndSpring posted:

Feel very confused by how to play Three Kingdoms in general. My experience so far has been playing Cao Cao and immediately getting into some kind of horrible thunderdome situation where I get owned by every loving rear end in a top hat neighbor I have and only being able to afford one full stack.

Gongsun Zan is a pretty good new player start, he’s off in a nice corner. Cao Cao starts right up in the poo poo

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Dammit, I got the Alliance bug where I can't interact with the enemy Alliance in diplomacy again.

Also Lu Zhi's books would be cooler if the game kept track of my progress accurately.

And it's such a ridiculous bloodbath up there. I've got the level 10 faction leader book.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Just reduce the size of your capital by one and assign members of your court to boost food production, food is pretty easy to deal with.

Yeah I just did that on the very first turn. Such an obvious solution to the problem.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I was half hoping they would have liu bei do a sandle making minigame for the first couple turns as a way to generate some cash.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Losing the ability to alter my army in any way sure is an enormous bug.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Beat the campaign with both the Han and and Zhang Bao. Not really happy with it compared to the pretty great base game, neither of the two seem materially different and the campaigns are super short.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah it's over before it has even begun and the AI warlords don't really put up much of a challenge. You knock 2-3 doomstacks and then the game just resolves itself.

Having a very similar experience playing as Dong Zhou.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Is it possible you have a spy in the army? They can tank your movement I believe

Who would He Jin by spying for? He's the only named character in the army, the other two slots are taken by captains that I can't replace either.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Asehujiko posted:

Who would He Jin by spying for? He's the only named character in the army, the other two slots are taken by captains that I can't replace either.

Oh ok yea if he other two are captains they can’t be spies. He Jin isn’t spying, I don’t think characters who start in your faction can be spies.

Bugged out maybe

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Kong Rong has thrown all five dragon units at me. This would take 38-or-so reforms minimum when barely over 23 years have passed + Kong Rong spawning later anyway. Taking his big fat imperial city, I see he's got every single building maxed out. And as far as I can tell every other settlement is as well. He bugged.

Tao Qian, for whatever reason, isn't actually tagged as a Governor in MoH and can declare as emperor.

Asehujiko posted:

WTF is wrong with He Jin's army, why does he move at 1/3rd of the speed of everybody else? Three times now I've slowly lumbered up to a YT settlement, only to end up assisting some other rear end in a top hat who overtook my army. Also not digging the emperor's play style of having 30 lovely courtiers who's only possible interactions are distributing their skill points that they'll never use and voting the worst one of them off the island to replace them with some other lovely courtier who so happens to have a red marker instead of a green one next to their name.

The only ideas I've had are that somewhat randomly ending a turn in enemy domain will cut your movement down. Certain units can also cut down movement range but I doubt you replaced the Imperial army for trebs.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

This Emperor escaping your court is a new feature right? Because boy does it feel bad and sucky to have the emperor flee your court, join your biggest enemy faction (taking the Han with them) whilst also imposing a public order/satisfaction penalty on you arbitrarily (with no option to try to prevent it).

I managed to hit Duke by turn 16 so I'm sceptical that I wasn't prestigious enough as the game claimed :v:

Maybe this is doomsaying, but the game to me has felt less fun with every major content drop released so far. I'm starting to get very worried about this multiple startdate plan because everything outside of the base experience plays and feels half-baked. If the next DLC isn't just a straight base campaign upgrade I'll probably skip it.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 18, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think it's pretty brilliant tbh. Having a very fun playthrough as Liu Biao, consolidating and tending to the south while North China just goes completely to poo poo. It's 196 and the Turbans own everything north of the Yellow River and are moving into Shandong and Shanxi (Shaanxi?). Dong Zhou has taken the emperor but Liu Cong is still kicking despite the odds

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's incredibly buggy but it's lots of fun and everything is utter chaos at all times.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does 3 Kingdoms play closer to Shogun 2 or Warhammer? Does it also have the endgame problem that Warhammer has where one or two nations become superpowered and furball out of control?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 19, 2020

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Closer to shogun I think but with a lot of QOL improvements.

End game is still imperium based but you will have 3 kingdoms with allies and maybe a minor power or two left at the end duking it out.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does 3 Kingdoms play closer to Shogun 2 or Warhammer? Does it also have the endgame problem that Warhammer has where one or two nations become superpowered and furball out of control?

No in this one three kingdoms become super powered and furball out of control.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

yikes! posted:

No in this one three kingdoms become super powered and furball out of control.

Except for that short while after release where Yuan Shao was vassalizing 3/4 of the map.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I keep forgetting all the times I see 3 kingdoms where 2 are large and 1 is in the corner.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Third World Reagan posted:

I keep forgetting all the times I see 3 kingdoms where 2 are large and 1 is in the corner.

I guess it kinda fits.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Vichan posted:

I guess it kinda fits.

Why is southeast China depicted as abandoned in the game?

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Dramicus posted:

I think it's to be filled out a bit in the future when the Nanman come out.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

VietCampo posted:

I think it's to be filled out a bit in the future when the Nanman come out.

Next DLC will have a start date where Sun Ce's conquests are prominent so I expect people like Yan Baihu, Liu Yong and Wang Lang to fill out that area a bit.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Dramicus posted:

The southern parts of China were dominated by tribes and Han only had nominal control over those areas. Wu's greatest strides were in peacefully cooperating with them to extend their reach.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

McTimmy posted:

The southern parts of China were dominated by tribes and Han only had nominal control over those areas. Wu's greatest strides were in peacefully cooperating with them to extend their reach.

I see, cool to know, thanks.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Just noticed that the English announcer takes a big audible breath for Liu Bei's faction selection speech on the 190 startdate. Just found it funny :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Just noticed that the English announcer takes a big audible breath for Liu Bei's faction selection speech on the 190 startdate. Just found it funny :v:

She's just in awe of Liu Bei's benevolence.