Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah let's bum rush the main plot and track down the Courser.

Then we can see how long we last before the level curve kills us.

Exactly, about time we did it. Find the Courser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Percy goes to track down the Courser that Mama Murphy had a vision about.

Here's another weapon for the list of great perks on lovely 10mm automatics. At level 47 he should really be finding some better legendaries.

Here's a good example of the dangerous creatures that appear at high levels: A Glowing Deathclaw wandering around in the Boston ruins.

Percy uses some Jet and kills it with fifteen shots in the belly.

His Pipboy radio picks up the teleporter triangulation signal from a Courser that just dropped in on the Commonwealth.

This signal leads through a small Raider base, which won't be a problem for this hardened fighter.

Dogmeat does what he does best, grabbing a raider to stop him from being able to shoot.

The Courser's signal leads to Greenetech Genetics, which is full of slaughtered Gunners. A firefight is still happening on the upper floors.

Percy blasts his way upstairs, hoping to join the ongoing battle.

A Gunner with a missile launcher was one of the only real threats, but dies before firing a missile at the new intruder.

Level 48 perk: +1 Agility (Now 6)

Percy arrives at a room where the remaining Gunners are trying to make a last stand. He slaughters them all.

The Courser is torturing and killing the Gunners, trying to make them reveal the password to a locked room.

Percy uses the code that the Sight revealed to Mama.

The courser chokes out "how did you-" and then drops dead.

There's a locked-up Synth asking Percy to set her free so she can go live a new life free from the Institute. Some of the Gunners who captured her are still alive, tied up by the Courser, but they aren't talking to Percy.

Should he free the Synth or leave her?

Should he free the Gunners or kill them?

Should he return to Virgil for the teleporter plans, track down the lost Brotherhood patrol, or keep exploring in the northeast Commonwealth

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Free the Synth, kill the Gunners, and return to Virgil.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

BisbyWorl posted:

yeah this

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Free the gunners & the Synth and track down the brotherhood patrol.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

This. Percy is hardcore now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Percy frees the Synth girl and she prepares to make a new life in hiding.

She's not impressed by his boasting. Percy's a nice guy, why do cute girls never like him?

Anyway, he executes the helpless Gunners and moves on.

At Diamond City, Percy discovers that his new bartering skills reduce the price of .45 bullets from 5 caps each to 4. He's now hauling around about 50 pounds of bullets because no one has enough caps to trade him for all his scrap, and bullets and chems are two of the lightest valuables available.

He tells Dr. Amari a slightly embellished account of his latest adventure.

Amari recommends going to the Railroad because they're the only ones who can decode the chip. Percy hasn't met them yet, but he has killed everything along their Freedom Trail.

In Survival Mode, it takes months for enemy locations to be reset. This means Percy has wiped out most of the enemies in downtown Boston, like the cat named Tibbles who drove the Stephens Island Wren to extinction.

The Railroad's password is "RAILROAD". Keeping out the illiterate stops most of the Commonwealth's bad guys from breaking in to their hideout.

Heavily armed agents confront Percy as soon as he steps through the door.

Percy admits that Amari told him how to find the Railroad, and explains why he's there. He doesn't mention that he killed the courser with a code from an old woman tripped out on chems.

One of their spies vouches for Percy's story, and the Railroad agrees to decode the Courser chip.

Percy checks out the secret headquarters and overhears the agents talking about the latest attack on another safehouse.

After a minute of tapping on a keyboard, Tinker Tom cracks the code and gives Percy the information he needs.

On the way back to Virgil, Percy sees a group of raiders blow themselves up while trying to fight a pack of dogs.

One of them is a legendary rabid mongrel, which takes a chunk out of Percy's arm before he kills it. Good thing being bit by a rabid animal can be cured with a single Stimpak.

Outside Diamond City, Percy sees two albino mongrels, which are even tougher than rabid ones. He has the advantage at long range, and kills them before they can come close.

He takes a slightly different route into the Glowing Sea, in order to see more sights while enjoying the benefits of Lorenso's serum.

A prewar church is sunken into a pile of rubble.

The place is utterly filled with ghouls, and Percy uses them for target practice.

Level 49 perk: Commando 5
This is the final automatic weapon damage upgrade, making the Overseer's Guardian deal double its default damage and giving each shot a 6% chance of staggering an enemy.

Another loving legendary 10mm. It seems every special weapon Percy finds is a pistol or a blunt object. The Overseer's Guardian is so good that few weapons are actually better, but it would be cool to find an actual upgrade like a poisonous automatic shotgun.

In a cave he finds a dead Raider with a suit of Power Armor. He removes the Fusion Core and moves on.

The basement of a Super Duper Mart is full of feral ghouls. Evidently these people tried to stockpile food and take shelter from the reactor meltdown, but the radiation got to them.

Even in the Glowing Sea, Percy heals so well that he spends most of the time at full health with no radiation at all.

Virgil had doubted that Percy could kill a Courser, but Percy shows him the decoded numbers from the Railroad.

The Super Mutant scientist has drawn up plans for a teleporter to hijack the Institute's relay and get inside. Unfortunately, he has no fine motor control and his only writing implement is a pencil.

In order to build this, Percy will need help from either the Minutemen, the Railroad, or the Brotherhood of Steel. The latter two will probably want something from him first in exchange.

He says goodbye and then goes for a marathon run out of the radioactive swamp.

A Legendary Alpha Deathclaw roars at Percy from a short distance away, but he kills it quickly with a hit of Jet and some bullets in the chest.

He also get surprised by a glowing deathclaw he thought was already dead, but easily shoots that one as well.

This building just outside the Glowing Sea is full of traps and heavily irradiated, which means it probably contains some great stuff. But Percy can't pick the lock on the door.

Outside Diamond City, Percy trades more of his loot for a big pile of caps and ammo.

Should Percy get help with his teleporter from the Minutemen, the Railroad, the Brotherhood, or go exploring?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Percy should go to the minute men. Firstly they introduced chem grandma so that's always good.

Secondly they are currently unintentionally guarding Percy's collection.

Thirdly, every single time we have worked with the railroad we have died.. So gently caress that.

Forthly the brotherhood is full of power armour fetishists which Percy is not a fan of.

And finally the minute men do not judge his flagrant disregard for his own health that is his chem use.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, let's go with the Minutemen.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Minutemen

Malah
May 18, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Percy triumphantly returns to Sanctuary with the teleporter plans. To their credit, the people here have been collecting scrap for a while so he won't need to personally chop up the cars and tires for spare parts.

Preston tells Percy to show the plans to Sturges the handyman.

The old Minuteman leader is mostly concerned with taking back the fortress called the Castle, which was said to have been destroyed by a sea monster.

Sturges gives Percy a list of spare parts he'll need to build the transmitter: A sensor module, a military-grade circuit board, and a biometric scanner. Sensor modules are rare and occasionally found in toolboxes, military-grade circuit boards are found in all kinds of turrets and robots, and biometric scanners are found in higher-level turrets and robots. Sturges suggests two nearby sites to find the sensor and circuit board, and a distant hospital which should have a biometric scanner.

Scrap dealers sometimes sell these items, but Percy has no such luck.

Drinking Buddy has made it to Sanctuary, and he has a couple ice-cold Nuka-Cola Quantums. This amazing drink heals 65 HP per second for 45 seconds, because it counts as a chem so its healing duration is greatly increased. Even stimpaks only heal 21 HP per second for 30 seconds. Percy gives the robot 5 more Quantums to chill for him.

Sturges suggested searching the satellite station near Sanctuary for a sensor module. It's occupied by a couple raiders, who haven't even cleared the bodies from the time Percy killed Ack-Ack's gang here.

One down, two to go.

Dogmeat encounters the land-mine covered mole rat that lives in the area, and the armoured mutt simply absorbs the explosion.

A Deathclaw is attacking the defenceless settlers at Tenpines Bluff. Percy kills it.

Kelly the brahmin seller is still in the area, so Percy buys a mutant cow for the settlers. Maybe next time a Deathclaw attacks, it'll eat the brahmin instead of trying to eat the people.

The National Guard training yard is still free of ghouls, so Percy has no trouble finding a military-grade circuit board.

There's an armoury that he hadn't noticed last time. Percy walks in, waltzes through the traps, and finds a nice stockpile of ammo and weapons.

The armoury even contains the best Power Armor in the world, a prototype model released just before the bombs fell.

Suddenly, Percy gets attacked by an extremely dangerous Annihilator Sentry Bot. He uses Jet to help blow it up.

Being an advanced robot, it was even carrying a Biometric Scanner. Percy's found everything he needs!

The device to teleport into the Institute is ready. Should Percy crack the greatest mystery in the Commonwealth, or find the lost Brotherhood patrol, or retake Fort Independence for the Minutemen?

Before he leaves Sanctuary, should he give more chems to Mama Murphy or no?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I say retake the Castle; I think it's a genuinely fun mission.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Give Mama Murphy a treat

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Let's enter the Institute after giving Mama Murphy more chems.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

CommissarMega posted:

I say retake the Castle; I think it's a genuinely fun mission.

RudeCat posted:

Give Mama Murphy a treat

Both of these are fine ideas. As much as I'd like to not see Percy die to random stuff and get the main story done before it all disappears in an instant, I want to see what this castle thing is about.

By the way, is that power armor the stuff from Fallout 2's splash screen? It looks familiar. (I never played it personally, but I've seen some of it.)

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

Let's enter the Institute after giving Mama Murphy more chems.

This.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Let's go check out this Castle. And, gently caress it - let's pump grandma full of drugs! This can't go wrong!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The Flying Twybil posted:

Both of these are fine ideas. As much as I'd like to not see Percy die to random stuff and get the main story done before it all disappears in an instant, I want to see what this castle thing is about.

By the way, is that power armor the stuff from Fallout 2's splash screen? It looks familiar. (I never played it personally, but I've seen some of it.)

Kinda. The bad guys on F2 have Advanced Powered Armour, and fan theories were that it was a post-war development but Bethesda placed it here as a wartime prototype.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
One thing I have been meaning to ask about America in general, not just the Fallout setting: Is Boston a major industrial centre IRL? Maybe it's just me, but there seem to be a lot more industrial buildings in Fo4 compared to other Fallouts. I thought it was places like Michigan, Chicago and Pittsburgh that had America's big industry, with Boston being an economic instead of industrial place. Sorry, I'm a dirty foreigner and don't know much about American geography.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

One thing I have been meaning to ask about America in general, not just the Fallout setting: Is Boston a major industrial centre IRL? Maybe it's just me, but there seem to be a lot more industrial buildings in Fo4 compared to other Fallouts. I thought it was places like Michigan, Chicago and Pittsburgh that had America's big industry, with Boston being an economic instead of industrial place. Sorry, I'm a dirty foreigner and don't know much about American geography.

Not in modern times, no.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CommissarMega posted:

It really isn't... but it used to be. Back in the day big swathes of New England were dotted with "mill towns," which were dominated by paper mills or other early industrial centers the way a factory town is dominated by the factory. It's not entirely inconceivable that in Fallout's timeline, many of those areas were revitalized with factories instead of just being allowed to slide into decay and general shittiness the way most of the mill towns have actually fared.

(It's also worth noting how little of Fallout 4's map is actually 'Boston' - Boston itself is a very small city, but all the surrounding areas that make up the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area are basically folded into the region in the popular consciousness, which is why my in-laws keep saying I live 'in Boston' even though my home is off the west edge of the game map but if you try telling someone from Cambridge that they're in Boston they will probably mock you incessantly. FO4's scale is strange. Heck, Sanctuary Hills is in RL Concord for crying out loud)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Percy goes to give some more chems to his most trusted source of advice.

And whether you want it or not... You're gonna have to decide which ways of life keep going in the Commonwealth... and which end...

The safest way to reach the Castle is to get to the coast and swim. Percy does that, and helps the Brotherhood kill some Super Mutants along the way.

The shortest path to the coast involves passing a raider camp that Percy hasn't seen yet.

Ow. Although Percy can't set off land mines, one raider shoots the mine he's standing next to and deals a crippling injury. I was wrong about Ice-Cold Nuka Quantum - it actually heals 6.5 HP per second for 450 seconds, so it's not a super-stimpak, just a nice bit of passive healing for use in battles.

Percy gets his revenge on these raiders.

Level 50 perk: Nerd Rage 3 (Level 50, 10 Intelligence)
This slightly increases Percy's damage resistance and output during Nerd Rage, and heals him slightly for every kill he makes.

Along the coast, he finds a couple of wastelanders living in a boat. It's a smart strategy, seeing how raiders and Super Mutants can't swim. They're understandably nervous when a heavily armed stranger boards their vessel, so Percy just swims on.

The Brotherhood seems friendly with Percy now - he no longer has to worry about their Vertibirds trying to shoot him.

Dogmeat finds a teddy bear and starts playing with it, adorably trying to tear it to pieces.

Preston and his tiny squad of Minutemen are waiting outside the Castle.

This soldier understands Percy's favourite tactics. Charge!

Fort Independence is crawling with mirelurks, but Percy has enough firepower to obliterate them in a couple shots. He activates a killing spree early in the fight, and frantically kills as many mutant crabs as possible for that sweet XP.

Then he has to clear out the caches of eggs, which involves smashing each one individually (slow) or firing into the egg clutches on full automatic (expedient!).

While Percy is smashing the eggs, he hears a terrible roar. A Mirelurk Queen is crawling out of the ocean to attack - this must be the fabled sea monster that destroyed the fort once before.

The General has battled these monsters before, and he knows what to do. He huffs some Jet to help his aim, then shoots the creature in the face with eight bullets.

The Minutemen have retaken The Castle, and now Preston wants to fix up their radio so they can broadcast this news to the whole Commonwealth.

The radio has another skill magazine for Percy - one that could come in handy if he ever finds some Overdrive.

The Minutemen arm themselves with flamers and missile launchers from the fortress's armoury while Percy repairs the radio.

Radio Freedom is broadcasting the return of the Minutemen! What's next for General Percy? Enter the Institute, find the lost Brotherhood patrol, or start working for the Railroad?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Enter the Institute.

Firstly because Percy is or man. With him we can make this work.

No to the brotherhood as they don't or won't like our drugs.

No to the railroad as it is literal suicide based on past characters.

..... But can we visit the Dunwich mines first?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

We're on a roll so far, I say we try to get this done with and enter the Institute.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I bet The Institute is full of drugs!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

..... But can we visit the Dunwich mines first?

Percy already did that, in this update.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

Percy already did that, in this update.

Ah my mistake.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm starting to get a sinking feeling Jet might be a tad overpowered

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Enter the Institute.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yeah it's time to find whoever is in charge of this Institute and give a piece of your mind. In the form of high velocity lead.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Percy leaves Fort Independence, hops into the sea, and begins the swim back to Sanctuary. Thank God for that Wasteland Survival Guide that makes him swim 25% faster.

Pickman is still doing work killing raiders in Boston.

Percy sees a yao guai eating a dead scavver, and shoots it in the head.

Level 51 perk: Medic 4
This makes Stimpaks heal 100% of Percy's health, and speeds them up to take only 15 seconds. Thanks to the Medicine bobblehead, it's actually a total healing of 110%, very useful if Percy is still taking damage in battle.

Sturges is ready to send Percy through the teleporter. He gives him a holotape to use on an Institute computer to scan their network for information.

A hose breaks and starts spewing smoke all over the device, but the relay works and teleports Percy away.

As soon as he arrives in the Institute, a mysterious voice starts talking to him over the intercom.

I wondered if you might make it here. You're quite resourceful. I am known as Father; the Institute is under my guidance. I know why you're here. I'd like to discuss things with you, face-to-face. Please, step into the elevator.

I can only imagine what you've heard, what you think of us. I'd like to show you that you may have... the wrong impression. Welcome to the Institute. This is the reality of the Institute. This place, these people, the work we do. Decades of research, countless experiments and trials... A shared vision of how science can help shape the future. It has never been easy, and our actions are often misinterpreted by those above ground. Someday, perhaps, we can show them what we've accomplished. But for now, we must remain underground. There's too much at stake here to risk it all. As you've seen, things above are... unstable. I'd like to talk to you about what we can do... for everyone.

Percy enters a room with a child trapped in a locked room. The man known as Father enters and uses a Synth shutdown code on the child, then turns to talk to Percy.

The hardened pre-war soldier isn't impressed by the cleanroom sterility and bright lights of the Institute.

Father tells Percy that he was once from the same vault, kidnapped by the Institute to provide unmutated DNA in order to grow perfect Synths.

Percy has personally witnessed people attacked by their Synth clones, and entire towns wiped out for defying the Institute.

The Institute's leader mocks the Minutemen, saying that failure to protect the Commonwealth is just as bad as deliberately attacking it. He denies that the Institute was behind the massacre of the Commonwealth Provisional Government. He explains that the Institute plans to save humanity by creating enough Synths to rebuild the world, hence their motto: Mankind Redefined. Finally, Father gives Percy clearance to explore the Institute and meet all of the department heads to learn more about what they do.

First, Percy uses Sturges' holotape to scan the network.

Allie Filmore explains how she provides electricity to meet the Institute's constant growing demand.

Clayton Holdren makes food for the cafeteria and has a pet project to create perfect Synth gorillas.

Percy begins taking everything that isn't nailed down, because Institute tools are made of lightweight aluminum and worth a few caps each to Commonwealth scrappers.

He notices a locked door to the area where Virgil once worked, and lets himself in with a bobby pin and a screwdriver.

The abandoned lab is defended by some fast-firing machine gun turrets, which aren't much of a problem.

A Legendary Assaultron Dominator is a problem, but this one gave itself away by speaking as soon as it detected Percy.

He takes a dose of Jet, the robot turns invisible, but he's able to locate and shoot it.

Travelling through the lab, he finds a dead Super Mutant locked in with a toy truck and a dead housecat.

Finally, he enters the chamber where Super Mutants are grown in huge vats for some reason. A nearby terminal belonging to Dr. Virgil laments the pointlessness of the program, and describes his plan to escape the Institute.

Percy takes the experimental cure for Super Mutant syndrome and returns to the Institute, where no one noticed his bit of burglary.

Dr. Li (a returning character from Fallout 3) is terse and wants to get on with her work, but she modifies Percy's Pipboy to let him teleport into the Institute from anywhere in the Commonwealth. This is useful in Survival mode, because normal fast-travel is disabled.

Justin Ayo hates and distrusts Synths, constantly wondering when one of them will try to defect.

These overly trusting eggheads gave Percy free access to their armoury and weapons salesman. Perhaps the Institute will find itself a little short on ammo at some point.

Percy buys a legendary automatic Plasma Rifle. It's not quite as powerful as the Overseer's Guardian, but it's lightweight and more accurate. Unfortunately, the shots move much slower so it's bad against moving targets, but it may have a niche in short-range combat.

The chem-addled fighter accidentally huffs some Jet before returning to Father.

The Institute wants Percy to use a recall code to recapture a rogue Synth that now commands a large raider gang.

Percy teleports back to the CIT ruins near Diamond City.

He runs back to Sanctuary and gives Sturges the files scanned from the Institute's network.

Level 52 perk: Agility +1 (Now 7)
Having taken the important level 49-50 perks, Percy can again work on looking through a scope longer and reloading faster.

Drinking Buddy has chilled five more Nuka Cola Quantums. They remain ice cold even while being carried around the Commonwealth for several days.

Nordick posted:

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling Jet might be a tad overpowered

It's true that I use it as a bit of "I win" button in every potentially difficult fight. I normally don't use chems in Fallout 4 (because I didn't bother remembering all the different effects), but Percy is a druggie because I saw the suggestion and thought it would be fun to try. Jet seems much stronger than usual because we're seeing a character who is fully tuned to maximize chem use, with four perks dedicated to making Jet last longer, and a lousy piece of chest armour because it's the only one that gives the fantastic 50% increase to chem duration. With that said, if people think it's dragging the run down, Percy could stop using Jet or keep taking all the chems.

Perhaps he can give Mama Murphy drugs for guidance, or not.

Should Percy talk to Preston about fighting the Institute, help the Institute retrieve a Synth, bring the cure to Virgil, or wander around the Commonwealth for a while?

Chamale fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 21, 2020

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Keep using drugs, because DARE was a loving lie and winners do use them.

Likewise, keep giving Mama Murphy drugs, the party never stops in Sanctuary.

And let's fight the Institute, since we're already in the area.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

All of these suggestions.

Mostly because that's how Percy roles.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

BisbyWorl posted:

Thirded because the stuff in our comic books assured us that the future would be more awesome than the Institute's lameness.

This'll teach them to not use the proper source material for designing a hidden laboratory.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Percy returns to Mama Murphy to get more help from the Sight.

This time, she wants an injection of pure Psycho.

I see a land marked up, like a great experiment. Each test a new beginning. Each sacrifice an acceptable loss.

Then, her heart can't take it, and she keels over dead.

Sturges is sad, Marcy is angry that Percy has taken out their source of the Sight, and Jun Long is traumatized at losing another person he knew. Preston is still making the long walk back from the Castle, so Percy has some time to kill before seeing him.

Percy finds a Wasteland Survival Guide in a nearby cabin. Taking less damage from melee attacks could come in very handy at some point.

He tests out his new toy from the Institute by blowing away some ghouls in an abandoned farm Preston wanted him to secure.

The farm has an excellent Wasteland Survival Guide that doubles the meat he can butcher from every creature.

Next, he fights the raiders stashing a huge pile of food at the Federal Rations Stockpile. Raiders are so weak compared to Percy that they hardly register as a threat any more.

This Facepaint Fundamentals magazine has no appeal to Percy, but he collects it anyway.

He helps the Brotherhood fight some Gunners, but their Vertibird catches fire. Percy knows how flimsy the drat things are, and stays far away.

He spots a Super Mutant Behemoth, and doesn't even need Jet to kill it with his Overseer's Guardian.

Next, he sneaks up on a Synth and prepares to ambush it, before remembering that he's on good terms with the Institute and wandering Synths serve him now.

Percy talks to Preston, who doesn't have anything to say about the world-changing importance of Percy becoming one of the only people in Commonwealth history to voluntarily enter the Institute.
There was another settlement quest that Preston gave to Percy weeks ago, so he goes to do that in the hopes of spurring some help from the Minutemen.

Percy teleports to the Institute then back out, since the CIT ruins are on the way.

The settlers want Percy to do some routine raider murder at a nearby racetrack.

As he approaches, he hears the booming voice of an announcer breathlessly describing a close race over the loudspeakers.

The track is full of racing robots! Percy shoots the Assaultron first to make sure it can't fight back.

Level 53 perk: Agility +1 (Now 8)

Then, with a killing spree activated, he quickly slaughters all the Raiders and Triggermen who were there to watch the race.

The commentator had a lockpicking magazine, not that Percy needs the help.

Percy returns to the grateful settlers, then does his teleportation trick to speed his return to Sanctuary.

Preston is thankful, and then tells Percy about another settlement that needs his help. Percy tries to bring up the Institute, or ask what to do about them, or tell Preston that the Minutemen have enough settlements and should really do something about the high-tech robot superlab buried beneath the Commonwealth, but he just can't form the words.

Remember four updates ago, when Percy was allowed to enter the Railroad? Desdemona, their leader, said that Percy was the first ever outsider given the privilege of entering their headquarters. Apparently, Percy was supposed to verbally acknowledge that by speaking to Desdemona before leaving. He didn't, so now the Railroad can never trust him no matter what, and a peaceful resolution to the Commonwealth's conflict is now impossible.

So! Should Percy join the Institute and kill some Railroad fuckers, or join the Brotherhood and kill some Institute fuckers?

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Brotherhood!

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Man, they were really phoning it in when they wrote some of Mama Murphy's prophecies, huh? "I see you surrounded by outstretched hands. Everyone needs your help..." Yeah no poo poo lady, this is a Bethesda game. "If you side with the Institute, you will wind up doing shady science-y things...!" Real fuckin' mind-bender, that one.

Go Brotherhood I suppose.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I dislike the Institute slightly less than the Brotherhood, so go with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Institute. They are nerds after all. Percy will fit in.