Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Play video games? :wtc:
ikr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ok, not disappointed.

y didnt u reverse the cover and take your pic on the correct side so it would show up better

V - I very much stand by my opinion on Torchlight 2; the UI is categorically inferior to the 360 version of TL1, and it's missing key features like respeccing, and combining gems.
Otherwise... I mean it's still playable, just know what you're getting into.
I can't see the sale price since I've already bought it, but if it's under ten, give it a shot.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 18, 2020

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Any other non D3 ARPGs that are good? I heard Torchlight 2 wasn't great. What about Titan Quest on switch if I haven't really ever played it?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Waffle! posted:

"So what the gently caress's goin' on?"

Kingpin's coming to Switch, that's what the gently caress.
:thunk:

Also, daaaaaaaaaamn, I got the Satisfye grip because I'm going on a trip next weekend and y'all weren't kidding. This thing definitely makes the system feel beefier in handheld mode.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Rageaholic posted:

:thunk:

Also, daaaaaaaaaamn, I got the Satisfye grip because I'm going on a trip next weekend and y'all weren't kidding. This thing definitely makes the system feel beefier in handheld mode.

Best purchase ever for switch

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Dev just confirmed that the fun and cool game programming tool SmileBASIC will be getting an English release “not too long from now”. :toot:

https://twitter.com/notohoho/status/1218337312376901633?s=20

If you’re unfamiliar it’s very neat even if you’re not the programming type because you can download other people’s games.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

Any other non D3 ARPGs that are good? I heard Torchlight 2 wasn't great. What about Titan Quest on switch if I haven't really ever played it?

titan quest is reaaaal dated these days, at least on PC

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

What cable do I need to buy in order to connect my switch to a set of Logitech z906 speakers?

My current setup is that my PC connects to the speakers 5.1 surround sound ports, and my switch connects to my PC monitor directly through the otherwise-unused HDMI input, but this means it's limited to using the lovely tinny-sounding monitor speakers. Some googling around had led me to believe that I won't be able to get 5.1 surround to connect to the Switch through the PC, but I'm happy to settle for stereo sound through the speakers since it has to be better than what I have currently. The sound quality from the Switch itself when in handheld mode is better than the PC monitor sound.

...or is there a sneaky workaround so that I can get 5.1 surround on both my Switch and my PC? So far all I've found are reddit or neogaf posts saying I can't.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Chin Strap posted:

Titan Quest is dated like it was mentioned before, AND it doesn't run very well on Switch. I would recommend you avoid it.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Cactus posted:

What cable do I need to buy in order to connect my switch to a set of Logitech z906 speakers?

My current setup is that my PC connects to the speakers 5.1 surround sound ports, and my switch connects to my PC monitor directly through the otherwise-unused HDMI input, but this means it's limited to using the lovely tinny-sounding monitor speakers. Some googling around had led me to believe that I won't be able to get 5.1 surround to connect to the Switch through the PC, but I'm happy to settle for stereo sound through the speakers since it has to be better than what I have currently. The sound quality from the Switch itself when in handheld mode is better than the PC monitor sound.

...or is there a sneaky workaround so that I can get 5.1 surround on both my Switch and my PC? So far all I've found are reddit or neogaf posts saying I can't.
Your monitor doesn't have a headphone jack output or anything?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cactus posted:

I think a HDMI audio extractor should work, you could run the optical signal from the extractor to one of the speakers digital inputs and I'm pretty sure 5.1 will work that way.

Something like: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Audio-Stereo-Extractor-Converter/dp/B07KRWYN4R

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

E2M2 posted:

Your monitor doesn't have a headphone jack output or anything?

Oh poo poo yeah so it has. Lol at me for not noticing this. I can plug the monitor into the stereo inputs directly, thought I was going to have to mess with splitters and all sorts.

edit: didn't refresh, but that looks interesting ^^ might give it a try.

edit 2: went for this one in the end, in-case I end up getting a PS5 down the line. Or borrowing my brothers PS4. I want to play dad of war and TLoU2.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 18, 2020

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It was honestly a genius move. Get a studio to make good games, the sell them once you receive the omens that they will never make another good game.

The interesting part was when they sold to MS the employees were like "yeah, finally we're free of Nintendo's clutches and can make what we want and Microsoft is giving us full freedom!", and then they started to slowly realize that maybe Nintendo's influence is why they made such good games in the first place. This article kind of talks about that: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-08-who-killed-rare

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rare's first game for Nintendo was 1987's Slalom. They've now been with Microsoft longer than they were with Nintendo (not counting the handful of games they finished and Microsoft published on GBA/DS after they sold)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Just give me Blast Corps and no one has to get hurt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Original_Z posted:

The interesting part was when they sold to MS the employees were like "yeah, finally we're free of Nintendo's clutches and can make what we want and Microsoft is giving us full freedom!", and then they started to slowly realize that maybe Nintendo's influence is why they made such good games in the first place. This article kind of talks about that: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-08-who-killed-rare

Silicon Knights and David Doak openly despised Nintendo expecting them to do draconian things like keep to a project plan and finish features before slapping new ideas onto a game when making Eternal Darkness (and presumably while making MGS: Twin Snakes as well).

And then they made Too Human.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waffle! posted:

Just give me Viva Piñata 3 and no one has to get hurt.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Silicon Knights and David Doak openly despised Nintendo expecting them to do draconian things like keep to a project plan and finish features before slapping new ideas onto a game when making Eternal Darkness (and presumably while making MGS: Twin Snakes as well).

And then they made Too Human.

They mentioned this on the Crate & Crowbar podcast this week: how has there not been an Eternal Dartkness Sanity's Requiem remaster/remake/re-imagining/sequel yet? Who has the rights to it?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cactus posted:

They mentioned this on the Crate & Crowbar podcast this week: how has there not been an Eternal Dartkness Sanity's Requiem remaster/remake/re-imagining/sequel yet? Who has the rights to it?

Some Eternal Darkness assets showed up in Smash Bros. Ultimate as spirits so I suppose Nintendo still owns it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Waffle! posted:

I always think I'll enjoy blast corps but then argh! That dump truck where you need to Tokyo Drift and slam your backside into buildings is some loving insane gameplay ("insane" not in a positive or negative sense, but as in not sound of mind).

Half of the game is spent trying to make a truck slide in reverse. Who thought of this

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The dump truck is the best part

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Polo-Rican posted:

I always think I'll enjoy blast corps but then argh! That dump truck where you need to Tokyo Drift and slam your backside into buildings is some loving insane gameplay ("insane" not in a positive or negative sense, but as in not sound of mind).

Half of the game is spent trying to make a truck slide in reverse. Who thought of this

The wonky controls make the speedrun just that much more impressive.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

How is the Street Fighter collection on Switch. I spent about 2 years playing Third Strike against a guy way better than me nightly while I was working overnight in a call center, so its by far my favorite Street Fighter. I know I missed the sale, but is it worth the asking price for it or should I wait for the next sale?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Waffle! posted:

Man, Blast Corps was one of those games that I always saw at Hollywood Video and wanted to rent it. I eventually rented it, and hated it, but it stayed on those shelves for so long that it always caught my eye when looking for a rental. I don't think I ever played it outside of that rental.

Also I always called it Blast Corpse because I didn't know that's not how you pronounced Corps.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

It was actually the first game I got with my n64 back in the day. I have no idea why/how.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffle! posted:

I remember really wanting to play this game, it looked cool. Years later I heard that it actually wasn't a good game. I actually have Blast Corps now too, but have yet to touch it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Blast Corps is cool and good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

Blast Corps is cool and good.

Unique too. There hasn’t really been any game like it since.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

explosivo posted:

Man, Blast Corps was one of those games that I always saw at Hollywood Video and wanted to rent it. I eventually rented it, and hated it, but it stayed on those shelves for so long that it always caught my eye when looking for a rental. I don't think I ever played it outside of that rental.

Also I always called it Blast Corpse because I didn't know that's not how you pronounced Corps.

Even though I've long since learned how to pronounce it correctly whenever I see 'Blast Corps' I read it as Corpse. Brains be weird.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Protip: The less you know about Maitetsu: Pure Station, the better. It was one of this week's eShop releases.

Buy a Senran Kagura game. It's much higher class. Or maybe that dungeon crawler where they grow their boobs, Omega Labyrinth.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

that new dbz game doesn't look fantastic but I still might like buying a copy if it came to switch then selling once I had my fun

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

haha holy moly the game as it is has ~around 46gb~ of data to install

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

As a fan of Xenoverse 2, the Kakarot game looks a little undercooked.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

loudog999 posted:

How is the Street Fighter collection on Switch. I spent about 2 years playing Third Strike against a guy way better than me nightly while I was working overnight in a call center, so its by far my favorite Street Fighter. I know I missed the sale, but is it worth the asking price for it or should I wait for the next sale?

The emulation is good, but it depends on your controller situation. Joycons are not well suited for SF at all, I have a ton of trouble pulling off even fireballs reliably on those sticks, and there's no way to map all three punch/kick buttons which makes certain specials a massive pain in the arse.

The online multiplayer is also basically a ghost town.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Polo-Rican posted:

Dude I am soooo with you on this. Exactly.

edit: Are there Blast Corps spirits in SSBU? That would get me off my rear end to collect them all.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Checking in to say that Unexplored got a big discount. It's a brilliant roguelike with puzzle elements randomized between multiple floors.
I never got too far on pc because it wasn't terribly optimized for a 2d indie game and the fog effects killed my admittedly terrible rig.

Edit: downloaded. This port is a bit of a turd.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 18, 2020

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What are some tips for Disgaea 5?

I’ve played 1-3 before. I just like to get through the story and don’t do the level 9999 stuff.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know the idea of Rare Replay coming to switch is very pleasing. I know the switch can run most of it. But can it run all of it? Aren't there some 360 games in the collection? Would the switch be able to emulate those? Perhaps an edited Rare Replay would work.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dehry posted:

Protip: The less you know about Maitetsu: Pure Station, the better. It was one of this week's eShop releases.

Buy a Senran Kagura game. It's much higher class. Or maybe that dungeon crawler where they grow their boobs, Omega Labyrinth.

How about none of the above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Some Eternal Darkness assets showed up in Smash Bros. Ultimate as spirits so I suppose Nintendo still owns it.

Like, can you even imagine how utterly terrifying this game could be made to be with todays tech and existing in a post-Amnesia & Alien Isolation world? And that's without even bringing VR into the equation...