Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gridlocked posted:

Hey goons, thank you for keeping the thread alive. I obviously haven't been around providing updates this last week. This is mostly because I've been out of it with other stuff, was hoping to return to it this week but

a) Rains are the big news ATM

b) I am dealing with some non-fire related issues that are leaving me feeling a bit rough and not in the mood for much, let alone digging up news stories.

Again thanks to everyone who is keeping this issue in the goon-public eye.

Stay safe, bro. You know we've got your back.

McSpanky posted:

You folks have interesting problems

TinderAus had to include a "I have a pouch yes/no" button after all the complaints

Edit: as I was hitting the 'post' button I was chanting "Don't be a snype, don't be a snype" and welp, here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh great, first it was alligators running loose and now we've got a flood of pissed-off funnelwebs
hahahaha poo poo

it'll be a great season for redbacks too, all their predators are dead or fled

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the fish kills will also spark a mosquito plague across most of the country

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’ve picked up some mozzie bites already the past couple days in north shore Sydney in the rain. Mozzies love me unfortunately.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

RandomPauI posted:

If the koalas didn't want chlamydia they shouldn't have had sex out of wedlock.

It’s illegal to marry a koala you sick gently caress

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
french island burning is a tragedy, they just released a bunch of captive-bred eastern barred bandicoots there :(

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the gold coast has always been a rainy place, and within our lifetimes they would have had as much rain as they've had now, every day, over the course of several weeks, without flooding. this is the effect of clearing right before our eyes. the soil can no longer absorb the water quickly enough because all the trees that used to suck it up are gone, it gets waterlogged, and so it overflows

this is where the new normal effect comes into play. it almost feels normal for the gold coast to flood. it's not normal. the gold coast used to be much wetter and still never flooded - remind all the boomers you know of that, most of them probably have childhood road trip memories

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the environmental situation in that part of the world is about to go insane, i hope you all understand that. this is a disaster beyond anything we've ever seen in this country, and we're only just getting the first aftershocks like the fish kills and the floods. if you live in the north nsw-south queensland, or have loved ones there, you need to start thinking seriously about your emergency plans

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Aren't we only half-way through fire season, anyway?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

nankeen posted:

the gold coast has always been a rainy place, and within our lifetimes they would have had as much rain as they've had now, every day, over the course of several weeks, without flooding. this is the effect of clearing right before our eyes. the soil can no longer absorb the water quickly enough because all the trees that used to suck it up are gone, it gets waterlogged, and so it overflows

this is where the new normal effect comes into play. it almost feels normal for the gold coast to flood. it's not normal. the gold coast used to be much wetter and still never flooded - remind all the boomers you know of that, most of them probably have childhood road trip memories

The level of cretinous development deals directly responsible for human deaths and unquantifiable ecological devastation on the Gold Coast specifically that will probably never come to light is daunting to think about. In the context of this specific post the flood plains that have all served as a natural overflow have been built up on and the shittiest suburbs of the gold coast are built over them. The canal system theoretically should work to replace them but in heavy rain systems like the one we just got you see the man made pipes to carry it to the ocean that run through a bunch of public parks get overloaded and suddenly every park that isn’t directly on the beach floods. It’s unreal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-01-18/assassin-spider-extinct-kangaroo-island/11876294

Only known habitat of a small spider species is devastated and scientists are worried that it's extinct now.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I truely believe if you could quantifiably measure the corruption of a local council in a satisfactory way the GCCC would clearly top the list. They don’t even get on the radar in SEQ for scandals that actually break the courier mail but I’m convinced this is only more evidence of their deep seated poisonous enmity to their residents bc only the most evil assholes could truely succeed at corruption on the level and scale they clearly have with the resources they have available to them and not be detected by news Corp

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I truely believe if you could quantifiably measure the corruption of a local council in a satisfactory way the GCCC would clearly top the list. They don’t even get on the radar in SEQ for scandals that actually break the courier mail but I’m convinced this is only more evidence of their deep seated poisonous enmity to their residents bc only the most evil assholes could truely succeed at corruption on the level and scale they clearly have with the resources they have available to them and not be detected by news Corp
they are pretty spectacularly corrupt lmao, newcastle city council would be high up on that list too but they desperately wish they could get away with the poo poo that gcc does

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
whatever happens over the next few years, whatever tragedies befall us, one thing you can always remember: a whole lot of very evil people are losing a shitload of money

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hyperlynx posted:

Aren't we only half-way through fire season, anyway?

In Victoria Feb and March are usually the worst months, so sadly still got plenty of time left

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

That’s always been the case.
There’s a lady one a local Facebook page currently advocating for the removal of all gum trees so they can be replaced with European trees and agapanthus. She’s getting roundly roasted in the comments

But.... kookaburra sits in the old gum tree

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

You Am I posted:

In Victoria Feb and March are usually the worst months, so sadly still got plenty of time left

do any rfs or sciencey goons have a good write-up or explanation for why different states typically have different fire seasons? I've lived in the subtropics all my life so I'm very used to november/december being the worst and then the rain hits and its usually fine after that but SA and VIC weather is so loving weird and such a different climate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Took a photo of Melbourne a week or so back to show a friend online how things were, and figured I'd share it here too. This is from around 8pm, when it got pretty loving bad (and yes I was wearing a mask at the time). You can juuuust make out the Moon over one of the buildings in the distance.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

If the koalas didn't want chlamydia they shouldn't have had sex out of wedlock.

Armadillos in the US carry leprosy. :( Peaceful fuzzy critters just can't win.
My rain wish is used up. Now I'm hoping you guys get some new vaccines and improved infrastructure.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
$50 more American for your safety on behalf of my partner. Good luck to all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Scomo and shillsong can't take credit for the rain in nsw because I washed my car the day before the storm hit so I'm taking credit.

My building uses a recycled water system

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://ab.co/2TBZhbD

Aerial photos showing the damage to our wonderful landscape :(

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The legend of Nelligen has spoken
https://www.newyorker.com/news/as-told-to/the-firefighter-whose-denunciation-of-australias-prime-minister-made-him-a-folk-hero

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

A couple of weeks earlier, the Prime Minister commented that Rural Fire Service members enjoy going out and fighting fires. He’s just got no understanding of what it’s all about. We don’t enjoy fighting bushfires and saving people’s homes. We do it because we have to. He’s got no understanding of what real people in Australia go through. And he doesn’t care anyway. Any real man would never have left the country while his country was in turmoil

king of Australians

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

And we got storm rain at least a month early compared to the last couple of years (I know because get reminded when clearing a storm drain of leaves and other detrius washed down the hill from my neighbours).

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
some pretty wild weather in Melbourne currently. We've had a thunderstom, complete with hail & big winds. Just hope the lightning doesn't cause any issues and the water gets where it needs to be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

slothrop posted:

some pretty wild weather in Melbourne currently. We've had a thunderstom, complete with hail & big winds. Just hope the lightning doesn't cause any issues and the water gets where it needs to be.

We just got a bit of hail as the rain started to come in. They were big little fuckers too.

edit: Oh wait, here comes more :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 19, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We just got a bit of hail as the rain started to come in. They were big little fuckers too.

edit: Oh wait, here comes more :stare:.

Here's a photo I snagged off FB:

The thunderstorms are going to be even worse tomorrow and the BOM has released a flood warning for areas which were affected by bushfires

quote:

Significant portions of the catchments in the flood watch area have been affected by bushfires which will result in faster and stronger river responses to rainfall. Areas not affected by fires are generally dry and little runoff is expected with forecast rainfall.

During Sunday, widespread rainfall totals of 5-20 mm are expected, with isolated totals of up to 50-60 mm due to thunderstorms. On Monday, additional widespread totals of 10-30 mm are forecast in the flood watch area, with isolated totals of up to 60-80 mm.

Heavy rainfall will increase the potential for localised flooding, landslides and debris across roads in fire affected areas. Rainfall runoff into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.

Edit:

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV21035.shtml

The CBD, Caulfield, Glen Waverley, Frankston and Seaford will be getting smashed by more giant hailstones right about now, Altona, Williamstown and Tyabb are gonna cop it in about 20 to 30 minutes.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 19, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The thunderstorms are going to be even worse tomorrow and the BOM has released a flood warning for areas which were affected by bushfires

Edit:

The CBD, Caulfield, Glen Waverley, Frankston and Seaford will be getting smashed by more giant hailstones right about now, Altona, Williamstown and Tyabb are gonna cop it in about 20 to 30 minutes.

I can personally confirm that there were hailstones that size. A fair number of them too, stay safe if you're in the path either storm, it's a real wet one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

very weird. I didnt even realize there was a thunderstorm and I was on the north side of the cbd.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Synthbuttrange posted:

very weird. I didnt even realize there was a thunderstorm and I was on the north side of the cbd.

If you draw a line directly north from the CBD the storms have pretty much stayed on the right hand side of that and not touched the left hand side. I'm on the north side of the CBD as well and we've been hearing a lot of thunder but have hardly seen any rain at all.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.loop.shtml#skip

Edit: over 700 incidents listed at http://emergency.vic.gov.au that's a lot of poo poo hitting a lot of fans :aaa:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Edit:

I'm in St.Kilda right now... the storm swept down south of us. We got a sprinkle but that's it. Don't know about the following burst but nothing so far.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Snagged from FB again:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If you draw a line directly north from the CBD the storms have pretty much stayed on the right hand side of that and not touched the left hand side. I'm on the north side of the CBD as well and we've been hearing a lot of thunder but have hardly seen any rain at all.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.loop.shtml#skip

Edit: over 700 incidents listed at http://emergency.vic.gov.au that's a lot of poo poo hitting a lot of fans :aaa:

Most of them are "other", so probably power out or minor things. I'm not at all surprised at all the house flooding calls though, a shitload of rain rolled right on through. Kew and Glen Iris seem to have copped the worst of it by the looks of things, and judging by the patterning I'd wager there's a street or two fairly submerged right now in those suburbs.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are any major roadways threatened with being flooded out or rock/mudslide out?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I'm in Kew and power's been out since I last posted - so about 3pm. Makes you realise how much you rely on it and how annoying it would be if it was out for a few days. Going to take the dog out for a walk and hope it's on when we get back, otherwise it's ubereats for dinner :(

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Snagged from FB again:

Holy poo poo. I keep waiting for the news footage of Max Von Sydow's fu-manchu-moustachioed face appearing in your skies.
"
...and now I gotta mash up some Paul Parker footage with "juuuust a maaan/with a man's courage" from that theme song

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Over 1000 incidents reported for Vic now

If you zoom in on the map you can see the path the heaviest part the hailstorm followed, coming in at Warrandyte, moving west into Heidelberg and Doncaster, turning south at Kew along through Camberwell and Malvern into Caulfield.

If you zoom in even further in any of those spots the incident map looks like this:

That's not even all of them, the incidents with blue + check marks have several reported incidents if you zoom in closer

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

My parents shed got hosed up by the hail, and I heard a window break at my place but wasn't my car at least.

A friend's got no power still :(

At least the smoke's gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just read the article about Paul from Nelligen, it reminds me of WW1 to be honest. You have people on the ground doing their utmost while the people in charge just don't give a gently caress it seems. I hope you guys stay angry and get some real changes done.