Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Oscar Wild posted:

Numbers go up. Inflows of cash. What are you going to do, hold cash or bonds? Where are you getting any yield?

It's crazy and there will be a correction but I am not smart enough to know how, when, or why.

This is the argument that has been made forever now (and it’s probably correct) but it’s literally a slight rewording of the greater fool theory

Solice Kirsk posted:

Held SOLY for a month and got out today with a slick ~10% gain. And because I did that watch it explode to the moon tomorrow...

You done hosed up, goon

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Apple is currently #1 shorted stocks now, sources say

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
That has to be $ value, which is no big deal really

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

No one knows this. But a lot analysts and experts and whathaveyou are getting louder with their warnings about a big correction.

Me, I don't really care. I'll never sell anyway (outside of a swing trade here and there) and I kinda want low prices everywhere so I can top up my existing positions for cheap.

All other asset classes are also pretty over-valued, too. There's just too much capital in the world.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Yep battle between appl and tesla! Both up 100% this year!

I am still down 6% on my position

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Man Musk posted:

I picked a bad month to begin building a position on SPY welp
We’re up 2.8% in 2 weeks. That seems really good?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Held SOLY for a month and got out today with a slick ~10% gain. And because I did that watch it explode to the moon tomorrow...

Thanks for taking a hit for the team.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thanks for taking a hit for the team.

:tipshat: All I ask is that you guys remember me when you're flying around in your fleet of blimps.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

greasyhands posted:

This is the argument that has been made forever now (and it’s probably correct) but it’s literally a slight rewording of the greater fool theory

You done hosed up, goon

I agree, but I'm also not going to stand in front of a train. A person can argue about rational valuations and stay in cash or follow the momentum until it stops. Then a person may get burned but hopefully they have stops in place.

It's really weird, and uncomfortable thinking that a massive correction could happen just to get to historically reasonable valuations.

The Fed could cool it off by raising rates but without inflation, I just dont see it. The market is drunk and the punch bowl is bottomless.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

We’re up 2.8% in 2 weeks. That seems really good?

it's really really good, but would rather be averaging down not up 😨

can't imagine the next opportunity it will get cheaper outside of a human-made geopolitical event, though, maybe need a different boring index

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MSFT was up 60% in 2019 wtf how did that happen? Is it purely due to Azure?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I have 1000 $220 Jan 17 QQQ calls average $.056 and 50 $300 Dec 31 SPY puts average $1.36 going into the Fed/trade deal/liquidity crisis and tbh I feel like there’s no way this could go tits up

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I am trying to cash out now and I am moving the market and can’t do it

Anyway I made $12000 on this net the Friday before Christmas and today I want to kill myself

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Solice Kirsk posted:

Don’t look.... it’s better if you don’t look...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Anyway I made $12000 on this net the Friday before Christmas and today I want to kill myself
Because... the puts became worthless?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I wish I had bought more of these Feb 21 $95c on SBUX.

Also, here we go SOLY.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
This market is simply absurd.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I sold my SOLY last week bc it hadn’t done anything for months.

:suicide:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Josh Lyman posted:

I sold my SOLY last week bc it hadn’t done anything for months.

:suicide:

I'm afraid to do a stop because it's so thinly traded.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Like I’ve said from the beginning, SOLY is the kind of thing that goes all at once. You have to have patience, today is nothing relative to what this thing can do.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
How does one estimate an upper bound on something like SOLY, or any similar company in this phase of their lifecycle?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

MetaJew posted:

How does one estimate an upper bound on something like SOLY, or any similar company in this phase of their lifecycle?

The upper bound on companies like this is always The Moon

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

MetaJew posted:

Look at what the product does, look at the current addressable market... estimate future addressable market. Think tattoo removal might be a big industry going forward? Looking around at 20-somethings and their full sleeve tattoos, I sure do. It apparently works on scars and cellulite too... coolsculpt sold for $2bil to allergen and some of the same people are involved in this. *if* this starts to pan out, it would almost certainly be sold. I’d say pie in the sky valuation might be $3bil, but if it sold for $750mil early on I’d be super happy

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 17, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Sorry, I didn't know I was on Wallstreetbets.

So what you're saying is there is still room to buy more SOLY and hope people actually want to remove their tattoos. (My DD is following Suicide Girls on IG and none of them are getting tattoos removed.)

With my DD in mind, if a company comes out with a plastic surgery device to quickly repair gauged ear piercings, I can see that mooning.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

MetaJew posted:

Sorry, I didn't know I was on Wallstreetbets.

So what you're saying is there is still room to buy more SOLY and hope people actually want to remove their tattoos. (My DD is following Suicide Girls on IG and none of them are getting tattoos removed.)

With my DD in mind, if a company comes out with a plastic surgery device to quickly repair gauged ear piercings, I can see that mooning.

Are suicide girls still a thing? Anyways, yes there’s lots of room to buy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Every company can potentially sell to the entire world, so upper bounding speculative stocks is real dumb, especially when simply identifying a market to do so. Check for the capability to deliver based on past performance, and (most important) with speculative stocks-- have an exit strategy.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I mean it's not that big of a stretch to say that the number of people getting their tattoos removed would increase as the number of people who get tattoos increases.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

UnfurledSails posted:

I mean it's not that big of a stretch to say that the number of people getting their tattoos removed would increase as the number of people who get tattoos increases.

And if, say, someone developed a method that didn’t take 10 visits over a year or more....

edit: buying some jan24 AMD 49 puts at .28

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 17, 2020

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

jokes posted:

Every company can potentially sell to the entire world, so upper bounding speculative stocks is real dumb, especially when simply identifying a market to do so. Check for the capability to deliver based on past performance, and (most important) with speculative stocks-- have an exit strategy.

This is not really true... a tattoo removal company isn’t going to sell services to people without tattoos... so it’s entirely possible to estimate what could be the market if you assume 10% share... 20% etc. obviously it’s highly variable, but acting like it’s impossible is silly

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 18, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Those types of estimates are always 100% bullshit, but this type of extremely simplistic thinking is how the stock market works. So just go with your gut estimate, there's no need for any type of accuracy to make successful investment decisions.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Lambert posted:

Those types of estimates are always 100% bullshit, but this type of extremely simplistic thinking is how the stock market works. So just go with your gut estimate, there's no need for any type of accuracy to make successful investment decisions.

They absolutely are not 100% bullshit, they’re frequently wrong but that’s part of most models. This is a verifiable thing, just because you want it to be true doesn’t mean it is

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's obviously bullshit, but doesn't mean you can't base investment decision on it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

greasyhands posted:

Don’t look.... it’s better if you don’t look...

:homebrew:

But hey! At least I'm in cash! Honestly only had about $1000 invested in SOLY, so I'm not too upset...still....

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

greasyhands posted:

How is this market even possible? Just relentlessly up, valuations are super stretched and earnings are stagnant at best
You all saw how high the crypto-currencies got? No reason why equities cannot achieve the same, ridiculous pricing levels, as equities are even better than crypto since there are real assets behind stocks - well, maybe half the time there are real assets, at least.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I feel like as long as the Fed keeps increasing the money supply, valuations are going to go up and it's just not going to make sense.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

bollig posted:

I feel like as long as the Fed keeps increasing the money supply, valuations are going to go up and it's just not going to make sense.

Not to mention corresponding fiscal policy accommodative to capital appreciation.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Another take: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/01/18/in-the-stock-market-its-become-apple-microsoft-and-alphabet-vs-everyone-else.html

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

This market is relentlessly up *ignores entirety of 2018 and most of 2019*

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Returns over the last five years are almost exactly the historical average of 10%

FEEEEDDDD!!!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

paternity suitor posted:

This market is relentlessly up *ignores entirety of 2018 and most of 2019*

*ignores every single indicator such as PEG, simple P/E l, EV/EBITDA, P/S, stagnant earnings growth but skyrocketing market, CAPE ratio higher than its been at any time except the 2 biggest bubbles in history (and 2009 isn’t even in the calculation anymore), fed driven liquidity, the simple fact that this is the longest bull market in history by quite a margin in a moderate, at best, growth economy.* “but average historical returns, it’s all very normal*smug*”

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It turns out if you slash corporate tax rates, valuations will go up in the absence of any change in profitability.