Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It is! lol, I thought about just asking you instead of posting in here, guess I could have. Thank you! Everything I searched for brought up The Warren instead of this, which isn't surprising since they share a lot of little stylistic things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m having trouble finding a short story that I think I originally found linked on the forums somewhere. It’s about a person walking down the street of a city and suddenly being in like a facade of a city, where no doors are openable and they can see shadows of people in the windows but they never communicate or leave the buildings. The main character spends years in this place and encounters other people like his/herself who also got lost in it but their encounters are vague and mostly just wondering about the place they’re in and how they got there or how to get out. It’s not really scary, just kind of unsettling. The main character eventually rounds a corner and comes back to the real world and mentions how there’s always roads or alleys you can go down that might lead you to the strange purgatory place at random. I can’t seem to string together the correct words to find it on google

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Aesop Poprock posted:

I’m having trouble finding a short story that I think I originally found linked on the forums somewhere. It’s about a person walking down the street of a city and suddenly being in like a facade of a city, where no doors are openable and they can see shadows of people in the windows but they never communicate or leave the buildings. The main character spends years in this place and encounters other people like his/herself who also got lost in it but their encounters are vague and mostly just wondering about the place they’re in and how they got there or how to get out. It’s not really scary, just kind of unsettling. The main character eventually rounds a corner and comes back to the real world and mentions how there’s always roads or alleys you can go down that might lead you to the strange purgatory place at random. I can’t seem to string together the correct words to find it on google

That's not The Backrooms, is it?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Isn’t that an issue of The Sandman? Something from Worlds End maybe?

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman:_Worlds%27_End#(%2351)_%22A_Tale_of_Two_Cities%22

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I looked up Backrooms and nah it wasn’t a creepy pasta, it wasn’t like a scary story just a “where am I and what’s going on” portrayal of being in this parallel world where there’s other lost people but it doesn’t really focus on them. Could have been like a metaphor for depression or something similar. I remember it being presented like a long form article on the internet but I don’t know if that’s my memory rewriting things.

And no it wasn’t Sandman, I have the three big leather omnibuses of that I’ve read over and over again. I love the Worlds End parts

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

could be something by Paul Auster maybe?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The library between worlds from the Magicians?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Beerdeer posted:

The library between worlds from the Magicians?

You mean the neitherlands?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looked up a bunch of stuff by Aister, thanks for the suggestion. Doesn’t seem to fit.

And nah, it was a stand alone short story. Nothing is supernatural about it except it’s like a parallel version of the real world in a city where doors don’t open and the people in the windows don’t respond/seem to know the people trapped in the city exist. Like I said, it’s super vaguely described. It never mentions the main character entering a building or having to survive, it’s just wandering through the streets of this inescapable city, interacting with other people in passing (who aren’t fleshed our characters and just have little bits of information about the world to pass along) and eventually turning a corner and re-entering normal reality.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fwiw, I feel like I've read it too but I couldn't say where or when.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Novel set to pre-historic Britain. An elderly couple who live in a village laid out like a rabbit's warren, with underground tunnels. There is a fog? or something that has given everyone partial amnesia. The elderly couple set out the find their grown up son, who they haven't had contact with for decades, but they don't remember what caused the rift between them. On their journey they come across a sort of early Christian, heretical cult. Something about a monster and a young boy?

Sorry, this is really fuzzy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BattyKiara posted:

Novel set to pre-historic Britain. An elderly couple who live in a village laid out like a rabbit's warren, with underground tunnels. There is a fog? or something that has given everyone partial amnesia. The elderly couple set out the find their grown up son, who they haven't had contact with for decades, but they don't remember what caused the rift between them. On their journey they come across a sort of early Christian, heretical cult. Something about a monster and a young boy?

Sorry, this is really fuzzy.
Most of it sounds like The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.
As does the fuzziness, come to think of it.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
That's it. Thank you! :)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Asking for a friend. He thinks this was a graphic novel but not sure. Early to mid 90s. A man has a fantasy world as a child, but grows out of it. As an adult he falls ill and is drawn back into his fantasy world. Because he's all old and jaded, so is the world, and they're at war. That's literally all he's got. I could think of several series with a bit like this that matches (A Game of You in Sandman for example) but nothing that made him go AHA THAT'S IT.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kingdom of the Wicked by Edginton and D'Israeli?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Runcible Cat posted:

Kingdom of the Wicked by Edginton and D'Israeli?

Hahah yeah that's the one, thank you. He is bowled over, flabberghasted and overwhlemed with joy to have his 25-year question answered. I know this thread, so I'm more "yeah, this is normal, this is what they do".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sanford posted:

Hahah yeah that's the one, thank you. He is bowled over, flabberghasted and overwhlemed with joy to have his 25-year question answered. I know this thread, so I'm more "yeah, this is normal, this is what they do".

Giving myself a high-five right now!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Ok, got one I told people about and I said I'd try to find the name of it, but all Google gives me is news articles about people who woke up from comas.

So I think the book was a collection of short-ish stories all told from the perspective of a 12 year old boy. At the start of this story he buys his crush a perfume he thinks she'd like called Australis to give her for Christmas, something happens (a bike accident?) and when the story picks up again he's now in his 20s or 30s and just woken up from a coma.

In the prior stories his friend often talks about how he is visited by a version of himself from the future before he goes to bed at night and they just have interesting conversations. So in the story he finds his friend now an adult, he did build the time machine, does use it to go back in time to chat to his prior self and I think they use the time machine to keep the accident that left him in a coma from happening?

I'm pretty sure the book was Australian, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was by Paul Jennings, Morris Gleitzman or Andy Griffiths.

(I would have read this in the late 90s or early 00's).

... Or maybe I hallucinated this book (unlikely, I'm not that creative).

froglet fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 23, 2020

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

froglet posted:

In the prior stories his friend often talks about how he is visited by a version of himself from the future before he goes to bed at night and they just have interesting conversations. So in the story he finds his friend now an adult, he did build the time machine, does use it to go back in time to chat to his prior self and I think they use the time machine to keep the accident that left him in a coma from happening?

I'm pretty sure the book was Australian, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was by Paul Jennings, Morris Gleitzman or Andy Griffiths.

(I would have read this in the late 90s or early 00's).
I remember this as being a tad darker than Gleitzman etc - I thought Tim Winton, but just did a quick scan through of his bibliography - it wasn't 'Lockie Leonard; Scumbuster' was it?

The accident that caused the coma was the main character and friend (Egg, if Lockie Leonard) had a plan to build a winged bicycle and fly it off the roof to impress the love interest. Just before the launch, a main-character-from-the-future shows up and gives the main character a tail/rudder assembly and mentions he did similar stuff when he was a kid, and you can easily spin out and crash if you don't have a steering method.

Man, I dug through about 500 books on various 'best Australian YA fiction' lists trying to find out for you, and I gotta say holy hell Isobelle Carmody and Gary Crew were killing it back in the 90's!

Edit: Got it! John Larkin, Growing Payne (1996)

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 24, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I recall reading a short story in school which was a satire of the idea that money is a sign of virtue. The protagonist undertook a bunch of schemes that made money, but provided no value to society. I believe one particular scheme was that the city was so overrun with stray cats that it offered a bounty, so he deliberately bred cats so that he could cut their tails off and turn them in for the bounty.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Isolationist posted:

I remember this as being a tad darker than Gleitzman etc - I thought Tim Winton, but just did a quick scan through of his bibliography - it wasn't 'Lockie Leonard; Scumbuster' was it?

I wasn't the requester, but I'm disappointed that you weren't right the first time. The idea of the Lockie Leonard series going off the rails, to the point where he's travelling through time, is hilarious.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Isolationist posted:

The accident that caused the coma was the main character and friend (Egg, if Lockie Leonard) had a plan to build a winged bicycle and fly it off the roof to impress the love interest. Just before the launch, a main-character-from-the-future shows up and gives the main character a tail/rudder assembly and mentions he did similar stuff when he was a kid, and you can easily spin out and crash if you don't have a steering method.

Man, I dug through about 500 books on various 'best Australian YA fiction' lists trying to find out for you, and I gotta say holy hell Isobelle Carmody and Gary Crew were killing it back in the 90's!

Edit: Got it! John Larkin, Growing Payne (1996)

Holy poo poo, you are amazing at this.

uvar posted:

I wasn't the requester, but I'm disappointed that you weren't right the first time. The idea of the Lockie Leonard series going off the rails, to the point where he's travelling through time, is hilarious.

Yeah, that would have been very funny.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

I have two. One was a Moon goddess coming to earth and falling in love with a human. It was written in the 80's. It was practical and not science-fictiony or silly. The other was a guy in CA who had a lot of money, he had a dietician fill his fridge every week with food, but he was not happy. A sink hole appeared in his lawn. The end of the book has him on a raft waving to cameras.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bippie Mishap posted:

I have two. One was a Moon goddess coming to earth and falling in love with a human. It was written in the 80's. It was practical and not science-fictiony or silly. The other was a guy in CA who had a lot of money, he had a dietician fill his fridge every week with food, but he was not happy. A sink hole appeared in his lawn. The end of the book has him on a raft waving to cameras.

Was the first one Lunatics by Bradley Denton? (Which, admittedly, is a bit silly in a Tom Robbins sort of way.)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I have 2 books/series which I probably read 15-20 years ago and bug me because I can't remember them fully:

1. A Fantasy, maybe YA, book about an evil dark lord who is brought back to life using his magic gem, but he comes back less powerful and fairly chill. Wanting to be more evil he ends up bringing his younger self from the past who, after helping out for a bit, eventually fights him. Younger evil lord snaps off the rezzed version's hand before ripping the magic gem out of his chest. There's also some heroes who want to stop the dark lord(s), but all I can remember is barbarian hero meets rogue hero when he has been strung up to hang and given a rusty sickle to try to cut himself down with before he strangles.

2. This was a 3 book series and the titles went something like Soldier's war/General's war/Emperor's war, but searching those only finds real history books. It was about fantasy Germany or Napoleonic France invading fantasy Russia it goes badly for them and they are defeated. There was also a strangler-cult in fantasy Russia. The protagonist starts out as a soldier, rises to be a general, but then is betrayed by the king and cast out before finally defeating him and becoming the Emperor, I think.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
#1 sounds familiar. Was the evil dark lord dude ruler of some swampy country with orcs?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

2. This was a 3 book series and the titles went something like Soldier's war/General's war/Emperor's war, but searching those only finds real history books. It was about fantasy Germany or Napoleonic France invading fantasy Russia it goes badly for them and they are defeated. There was also a strangler-cult in fantasy Russia. The protagonist starts out as a soldier, rises to be a general, but then is betrayed by the king and cast out before finally defeating him and becoming the Emperor, I think.
Some elements of that seem a lot like Django Wexler's Shadow Campaigns series, maybe check that out?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

#1 sounds familiar. Was the evil dark lord dude ruler of some swampy country with orcs?

No idea, although I think his minons were more gobliny than orcish.

anilEhilated posted:

Some elements of that seem a lot like Django Wexler's Shadow Campaigns series, maybe check that out?

Nope, although I enjoyed this series too.

threedaycrash
Sep 24, 2004

I have been trying to track down a short story/novella that I read a few years ago to no avail. The story centered around a crazy drive in theater that started out as nothing too special but ended up having multiple screens and playing all sorts of movies. It attracted all sorts of bikers and weirdos and sounded like a punk's dream. The local holy rollers decide to mount a campaign against it and managed to not only shut it down but have it demolished with the intent to build a nice new church on the site. I want to say the drive was named The Zone or something like that but in a last move of defiance it swallows up the townspeople that worked so hard to destroy it. The whole thing had a very 80's vibe to it and I know it doesn't sound like a horror story but it really ramped up at the end. I've tried googling The Zone, drive-in theater, and even threw in the detail of the chili the owner is famous for since it gets mentioned frequently in the story but have had no luck. Help?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

threedaycrash posted:

I have been trying to track down a short story/novella that I read a few years ago to no avail. The story centered around a crazy drive in theater that started out as nothing too special but ended up having multiple screens and playing all sorts of movies. It attracted all sorts of bikers and weirdos and sounded like a punk's dream. The local holy rollers decide to mount a campaign against it and managed to not only shut it down but have it demolished with the intent to build a nice new church on the site. I want to say the drive was named The Zone or something like that but in a last move of defiance it swallows up the townspeople that worked so hard to destroy it. The whole thing had a very 80's vibe to it and I know it doesn't sound like a horror story but it really ramped up at the end. I've tried googling The Zone, drive-in theater, and even threw in the detail of the chili the owner is famous for since it gets mentioned frequently in the story but have had no luck. Help?

EDIT: wrong forum sorry

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Skyscraper posted:

EDIT: wrong forum sorry

"wrong screen" :tipshat:

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

threedaycrash posted:

Wild stab in the dark, but it's not The Drive-In by Joe R. Lansdale is it?

threedaycrash
Sep 24, 2004

No unfortunately.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

threedaycrash posted:

Pilgrims to the Cathedral by Mark Arnold. It's the final story in David Schow's Silver Scream anthology. You, uh, may be underselling the ending.

threedaycrash
Sep 24, 2004

I am dramatically underselling it I know. Thank you so much!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Gotta admit that I'm now super curious how "and then the drive-in achieved sentience and consumed an entire drat town" is underselling anything.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Can't find that story online anywhere :(

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah nothing online and the cheapest copy I can find is $20 after shipping. Way to tease us all you bastards

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

threedaycrash posted:

I am dramatically underselling it I know. Thank you so much!

Glad to help (and apologies for the tease, everyone). I can take or leave most splatterpunk stuff, but the sheer ... zeal of that story is something to behold. From what I've gathered, Schow is still trying to get an ebook published. Here's a good write-up: http://toomuchhorrorfiction.blogspot.com/2010/03/hooray-for-horrorwood-silver-scream.html

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
just tell me what happens at the end of the loving story dude