Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Use mason jars! They’re cheap, available everywhere and impenetrable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My pantry is quite small, just a tall thin cupboard with shelves, so I need light stackable tubs really that are going to be easy to move around. My cornflour is in a mason jar though and that is absolutely fine as is my potato starch which is stored in an old vegemite tub!

I have found ground zero, a packet of fine semolina that was in a thick plastic resealable packet.

Helith fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 15, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are there any particular fine mesh strainers y’all would recommend? Or are they all pretty much the same?

I’d like something with a really really fine strain for tiny fruit seeds, and my dad is trying to run some homemade eggnog through a cheese cloth to get some spice particles out of it (:shrug:). I’m thinking the finer the strain, the better.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I. M. Gei posted:

Are there any particular fine mesh strainers y’all would recommend? Or are they all pretty much the same?

I’d like something with a really really fine strain for tiny fruit seeds, and my dad is trying to run some homemade eggnog through a cheese cloth to get some spice particles out of it (:shrug:). I’m thinking the finer the strain, the better.

something like this should be great for that. Alternatively you can go for a fine mesh chinois but they're pretty bulky and only better than the sieve I posted earlier if you're doing very large batches (and the sieve is slightly finer mesh). Pro tip with the chinois is to use a 2oz ladle to push stuff through.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

Fine mesh strainers vary wildly in how fine they are, and some will let seeds through and others won't. There's no measuring standard for them so you kinda gotta eyeball them in person

If he bought "cheese cloth" at a grocery the holes are huge. It's much finer to use butter muslin
https://www.amazon.com/Butter-Muslin-2-sq-yards/dp/B004QISGIA/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=butter+muslin&qid=1579291623&sr=8-8

edit: also sieves like Verisimilidude posted

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I use a nut milk bag for filtering my shrub syrups and it works pretty well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

couldcareless posted:

I use a nut milk bag for filtering my shrub syrups and it works pretty well.

These are also good with homemade yogurt to hang it and turn it into either greek yogurt or labneh

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

I. M. Gei posted:

Strainers are less one size fits all than you'd think. I own an oxo 6" fine mesh strainer and it's nice for rinsing rice and would filter out most seeds I'm aware of besides maybe strawberry seeds.

I also own one of these for when I want to get stupid with stock:
https://www.amazon.com/Matfer-17360...ps%2C134&sr=8-4

That one is as fine as I've seen.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

At our house the moths seemed to be getting into screw top containers that had loose O rings and or clip on lids. Just ended up buying some pheromone traps and cleaning the lids of everything before opening or closing to make sure eggs don't accidentally fall inside and we haven't had a problem in a year or so. Though obviously the second we get complacent they'll come back with a vengeance.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Pasta roller recommendations?
I thought I'd get the Kitchen Aid pasta attachment, but it's$140 on sale ($250 retail). I see motorized rollers that cost about $100, and manual rollers that cost around $50.

I've never made my own pasta before. I think I want a motorized one, so I can use both hands to manage the dough.

Any recommendations?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bagheera posted:

I thought I'd get the Kitchen Aid pasta attachment, but it's$140 on sale ($250 retail). I see motorized rollers that cost about $100, and manual rollers that cost around $50.

I've never made my own pasta before. I think I want a motorized one, so I can use both hands to manage the dough.

Any recommendations?

If you just want the roller and are willing to cut it by hand, the Kitchenaid one is $64 and there's an awful lot you can do without cutters (this is what i did and i don't really regret it, but also I'm not someone that wants to make like a lot of spaghetti or fettucine)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bagheera posted:

Any recommendations?

You want a Marcato Atlas 150. Marcato is pretty much the gold standard of pasta cutters.

https://www.amazon.com/Marcato-8320...ps%2C192&sr=8-2

I have one of these and it kicks rear end. Also homemade pasta is loving delicious, I just started making it and I am never going back to storebought.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Also homemade pasta is loving delicious, I just started making it and I am never going back to storebought.

Having said that, keep a few boxes in your pantry just in case you need to throw together a quick dinner. My personal compromise these days is that I shouldn't be eating pasta, so if I'm going to I need to earn it by making it, but sometimes its late and you need to eat something now.

But yes that is a great pasta roller and what you should be aiming for if you can swing the price. I keep it on a watch list at all times on Amazon so I can grab it as a gift if it goes on sale.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use this ripoff mercato one and it works just fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
OK, I used my mom‘s Benriner mandoline and now I see why so many home cooks, even experienced ones, cut themselves on this thing. The guard rail is so shallow! I’ve been using a Bron for seven or eight years and never nicked myself even once and was even proud of myself for being such a safety expert when really it was probably the fact that the Bron has a deep guard rail

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

OK, I used my mom‘s Benriner mandoline and now I see why so many home cooks, even experienced ones, cut themselves on this thing. The guard rail is so shallow! I’ve been using a Bron for seven or eight years and never nicked myself even once and was even proud of myself for being such a safety expert when really it was probably the fact that the Bron has a deep guard rail

I'm not sure what I'm more confused about, how you managed to cut yourself there or how you managed to keep the cut shallow enough it only needs a small bandage that isn't completely soaked through.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have a ben and definitely feel like I'm playing with a loaded gun every time.

absolutely do not try to maximize using all the material I'm cutting

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

I have a ben and definitely feel like I'm playing with a loaded gun every time.

absolutely do not try to maximize using all the material I'm cutting

After two close calls and one lost tip of a finger I bought a pair of those cut proof gloves.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I hold veggies like a microphone figuring that the pressure of the bottom of my hand against the guard rail would give me fair warning about the blade’s proximity. Unfortunately I did not notice that the bottom of my hand has a saddlebag that sticks out, and with the shallow guard rail of the benriner I took off a paper thin slice

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I didn’t even risk it. Asked for the benriner for Christmas along with the cut-resistant gloves.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Steve Yun posted:

I hold veggies like a microphone figuring that the pressure of the bottom of my hand against the guard rail would give me fair warning about the blade’s proximity. Unfortunately I did not notice that the bottom of my hand has a saddlebag that sticks out, and with the shallow guard rail of the benriner I took off a paper thin slice

Holy poo poo you're suicidal, lol.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno, isn’t holding a carrot like a pencil more dangerous since your fingers are sticking out towards the blade? I figured it was like the “make a claw when cutting with a knife” principle

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, isn’t holding a carrot like a pencil more dangerous since your fingers are sticking out towards the blade? I figured it was like the “make a claw when cutting with a knife” principle

i don't know if that's quite how i do it but the "pencil" is a lot closer to being right than the "microphone" which is completely insane. when you get closer to the end of whatever you're doing, people generally will use mostly their fingertips and try to keep them out of the way as much as possible

this is why all common mandoline injuries are "just cut the tip of my finger" rather than "somehow cut the side of my hand"

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 20, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got the Aroma rice cooker and I kinda like it. I've only made rice once so far, but the steamer functionality is nice. You can set steam time and it won't count down till the water is actually boiling/steaming. My old cooker I just kinda had to guess or keep an eye on it if I wanted an accurate steam time.

Is there an electric kettle and french press worth paying a bit more for?

I recently broke my sorta cheap ikea french press and then just replaced it with a super cheap 10$ from my grocery store. It works fine but I do wonder if I can do a little better, or if there is really any variableness on french presses beyond capacity? As for electric kettle, I just have a cheapo mostly plastic thing that's done the job for years, but I've been tempted to get one of those sorts that has like, the dock sort of design.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

captkirk posted:

After two close calls and one lost tip of a finger I bought a pair of those cut proof gloves.

i have those and still managed to cut a fingat once (because i chose not to wear them!). i'm dumb as poo poo.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

I recently broke my sorta cheap ikea french press and then just replaced it with a super cheap 10$ from my grocery store. It works fine but I do wonder if I can do a little better, or if there is really any variableness on french presses beyond capacity? As for electric kettle, I just have a cheapo mostly plastic thing that's done the job for years, but I've been tempted to get one of those sorts that has like, the dock sort of design.

If you ever make tea, look at getting one with a programmable temperature control; if you make fancy pourover, a gooseneck is nice. I picked up an OXO Brew Pourover Kettle and it's probably the cheapest kettle with all these features.

(Also check out the coffee thread :ssh:)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I got the Aroma rice cooker and I kinda like it. I've only made rice once so far, but the steamer functionality is nice. You can set steam time and it won't count down till the water is actually boiling/steaming. My old cooker I just kinda had to guess or keep an eye on it if I wanted an accurate steam time.

in terms of the cheaper end, I had an electric kettle like this that worked great. no fancy gooseneck for pourover coffee and no direct temperature control, but for $15 a steel one that lifts off a dock is a big upgrade from an all-in-one plastic kettle

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 20, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
E: I was gonna link the electric kettle someone bought for me a few years back and then I looked at the reviews and most of the top ones were charred remains of my electric kettle. I might also be in the market for one.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 20, 2020

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Canuck-Errant posted:

If you ever make tea, look at getting one with a programmable temperature control; if you make fancy pourover, a gooseneck is nice. I picked up an OXO Brew Pourover Kettle and it's probably the cheapest kettle with all these features.

(Also check out the coffee thread :ssh:)

I got one of those for brewing tea at work, it’s pretty nice (if moderately pricey compared to basic models). It has very fine temperature control, you turn the knob in 1 F increments (or presumably 1 C if you do that). It also has an integral stopwatch, a keep-warm setting, and stainless build (except for some silicone on the thermometer I believe).

Some of the reviews mentioned rust, so I’ve been pretty careful of letting it dry between boilings.

It also uses the power in kind of a weird way. Near the end of the heating it will use pulse width modulation to slow the heating and approach the target temp. So when I first ran it in my apartment, there was a noticeable light flickering as it pulsed the heater at like 5 hertz. I’m not sure if that’s good or not.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Steve Yun posted:

I got myself with a mandoline last night, GDI. I was making potato chips and I cut a chunk of my thumb off on the second to last potato. I had been switching to use the plastic guard when they got small, but I apparently cut it too close (haha) on this one. All bandaged up and regrowing. I think I'll buy some cut proof gloves, because the mandoline is a useful tool but all it takes is a split second of inattention.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I bought a fancy Chefman kettle at Target last year on a whim(This One on Amazon).

I love the variable temperature and that it comes off of the base, but it's too big for me and I never use the tea basket or steep timer because you've got to make a shitload of tea to even use the basket. If you find yourself making 1.5L of tea often, though, it's perfect.

E: Also the increments on the side drive me crazy because it goes 0.6L, 0.9L, 1.2L instead of more sensical numbers like 0.5, 1, 1.25

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 20, 2020

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have this kettle for making pourover. It’s only 1 liter, but that’s enough to fill my 8 cup Chemex. Looks like it’s currently on sale for $50 on amazon.

Note: I had a kettle from Bonavita before that broke a couple years in and they wouldn’t replace it out of warranty. I’ve had the current kettle for 2.5 years and it’s been reliable.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nephzinho posted:

Having said that, keep a few boxes in your pantry just in case you need to throw together a quick dinner. My personal compromise these days is that I shouldn't be eating pasta, so if I'm going to I need to earn it by making it, but sometimes its late and you need to eat something now.

I COULD keep a few boxes of store-bought pasta just in case...

... or I could make my own, dry it on the pasta drying rack I got, and keep that instead. :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
immersion blender recommendations?

i had a cuisinart csb-76 but the blade portion froze up and i cant seem to find a replacement blade for less than buying a whole new unit.

it seems like a lot of products on amazon that come with the extra attachments that chop veggies or a whisk, but those accessories seem to have a lot of complaints.

i have a vitamix so im not sure i need a high powered immersion blender

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I bought a cheap immersion blender that came with the chopper (awesome) and whisk (never use it). The blender works great. The chopper is made of brittle plastic.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I got the Cuisinart on sale at Costco a few months ago. Chopper, whisk, container for chopping in. The whisk makes whipped cream a breeze but I doubt I'll use it for much else.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

immersion blender recommendations?

i had a cuisinart csb-76 but the blade portion froze up and i cant seem to find a replacement blade for less than buying a whole new unit.

it seems like a lot of products on amazon that come with the extra attachments that chop veggies or a whisk, but those accessories seem to have a lot of complaints.

i have a vitamix so im not sure i need a high powered immersion blender

I've had a $20 cuisinart for years. It didn't come with any other attachments, but if it died tomorrow I'd probably just buy whatever the current model from them is.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Nephzinho posted:

I've had a $20 cuisinart for years. It didn't come with any other attachments, but if it died tomorrow I'd probably just buy whatever the current model from them is.

Same. I had a fancy pants cordless one once but it died after like 3 years. Go with a cheap cuisinart.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Moronic relative literally set my toaster on fire. I don't know how.

I'm going to replace it with something do I go for a toaster or toaster oven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Toaster oven no question. The nicer the better. I promise if you have the counterspace you will not regret it.