Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Somehow I ended up with a ethereum mining program on my PC that appeared in task manager as "winservices". I think I caught it during ill-advised sexual relations with a particularly shady pirate copy of Borderlands 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

buglord posted:

BTC ruining GPU prices broke my brain so much that every time I see this thread get bumped I reflectively go “oh god” but luckily it appears that it’s still unprofitable to use consumer GPUs to mine them?

e: what’s that magic number that convinces folks to buy as much GPUs they can grab?
GPU mining of Bitcoin has not been viable for some time, it's ASICs or bust now. GPU mining is still viable for altcoins that use different algorithms and haven't had ASICs developed yet.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
And luckily there is a steady stream of those as the GPU farmers move to the next profitable coin

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
CNN wrote a fluff piece on btc today and won’t let me link it through the app. Figures

The best investment of the decade turned $1 into $90,000

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/17/investing/best-worst-investments-decade-bitcoin/index.html

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 18, 2019

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
so, uh, the kraken crypto exchange. one of the few remaining actual-dollar exchanges in the US.

let me tell you: the 100% best bit of this crypto journalist gig, is when someone sends me the poo poo.

say after me: holy alleged poo poo.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

divabot posted:

so, uh, the kraken crypto exchange. one of the few remaining actual-dollar exchanges in the US.

let me tell you: the 100% best bit of this crypto journalist gig, is when someone sends me the poo poo.

say after me: holy alleged poo poo.

I know you're excited but I see this and I'm like "yeah, looks about right".

If it was an article about how this crypto startup is totally legit, conforms to all rules and regulations and never misuses client funds THAT'S when I'll sit up and take notice. Because it's probably bullshit lol. I mean, what crypto company hasn't ended in this kind of shenanigans

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Play posted:

I know you're excited but I see this and I'm like "yeah, looks about right".

If it was an article about how this crypto startup is totally legit, conforms to all rules and regulations and never misuses client funds THAT'S when I'll sit up and take notice. Because it's probably bullshit lol. I mean, what crypto company hasn't ended in this kind of shenanigans
I think only Coinbase?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

did something happen to gemini

that's the winklevoss twins

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Put this directly into my veins.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Motronic posted:

Put this directly into my veins.

also read the actual court doc, there's the tawdry poo poo I didn't bother summarising

sleeping with company officers so as to violate SEC rules, etc

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I see many are worried about this current decline in value of bitcoin. I understand your fears, but this is nothing to be concerned about as I'm going to explain.

You might not be aware of it, but westerners celebrate a holiday called Christmas next week. Christmas is the biggest western holiday and is a time when westerners gather with their families. This means many westerners are traveling home. Bitcoin is popular among westerners, so naturally they cash out to afford tickets for their flight home which affects the price as we've seen.

There's nothing to worry about. As soon they're done celebrating Christmas they will buy back bitcoin again and it will be restored to its normal values.

I see this a perfect moment to accumulate before the upcoming bitcoin halving! I cannot lose!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I see many are worried about this current decline in value of bitcoin. I understand your fears, but this is nothing to be concerned about as I'm going to explain.

You might not be aware of it, but westerners celebrate a holiday called Christmas next week. Christmas is the biggest western holiday and is a time when westerners gather with their families. This means many westerners are traveling home. Bitcoin is popular among westerners, so naturally they cash out to afford tickets for their flight home which affects the price as we've seen.

There's nothing to worry about. As soon they're done celebrating Christmas they will buy back bitcoin again and it will be restored to its normal values.

I see this a perfect moment to accumulate before the upcoming bitcoin halving! I cannot lose!

Wow, I didn't know that once Christmas is over, I will get back the money I spent on airline tickets! Why did no one tell me about this?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheCryptoDog/status/1204798115930230784?s=19

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Gobbeldygook posted:

GPU mining of Bitcoin has not been viable for some time, it's ASICs or bust now. GPU mining is still viable for altcoins that use different algorithms and haven't had ASICs developed yet.

I mean aren’t most of the altcoins value tied to how well bitcoin is doing?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

buglord posted:

I mean aren’t most of the altcoins value tied to how well bitcoin is doing?
Yes, when Bitcoin crashes it takes every shitcoin proportionally down with it except for Tether.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

ymgve posted:

Wow, I didn't know that once Christmas is over, I will get back the money I spent on airline tickets! Why did no one tell me about this?

No, chargebacks!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/AmbitiousMotion/status/1205247009806008320

another poignant look at bitcoins in 2019

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Wow that bounced back fast. Disappointing, I was hoping to see 5k.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dumb question. Occasionally when I watch a Twitch stream I’ll see the streamer thank a viewer for donating “ten bits” or whatever. Does this have anything to do with bitcoin, crypto at all or is it some kind of video game fun bux that’s completely unrelated to the BTC variety of fun bux?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Are there any butt threads on any of the main or sub forums other than this one?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

DerekSmartymans posted:

Are there any butt threads on any of the main or sub forums other than this one?
The yospos one is p. funny:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904417&pagenumber=14&perpage=40

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Zwabu posted:

Dumb question. Occasionally when I watch a Twitch stream I’ll see the streamer thank a viewer for donating “ten bits” or whatever. Does this have anything to do with bitcoin, crypto at all or is it some kind of video game fun bux that’s completely unrelated to the BTC variety of fun bux?

Bits, coins, fruits, tokens, handjobs and SuperLikes(tm) are all the various tokens you can buy and dole out in micropayments to various streamers. Get 5k bits with a Twitch SuperPrime sub (only $29.85 a month), and support your favorite streamers! (5k bits cashout value is roughly $4).

There are a few *coin based streaming sites, but they're about as skeezy as you'd expect, and at least one was shuttered for apparently hosting 'actresses of unverifiable age' doing camwhore shows.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zwabu posted:

It's a lot like Tether, in that a company unilaterally creates it out of nothing, says it's worth money, lets you give them money to buy it, but the average joe can't actually turn it back into money themselves.

It has nothing to do with bitcoin or any sort of cryptocurrency.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Someday hopefully soon, D2JSP forum gold will be worth more than Bitcoin (again).

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Video game fun bux. Every 1 bit donated = 1 cent in the streamer's pocket. There used to be a system where people could watch ads to get bits, but I'm not sure that's still live. Donating money through a third party site (ie stream elements) is more efficient, but a lot of twitch streamers prefer bit donations because there's no risk of chargebacks.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ben Garrison said buttcoin.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at Science Friday still having one buttcoiner calling in and going "its THEFUTURE!!!!"

(god I remember last year or two where they got a few coinerz before the crash)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hmm...number go up. I thought it was supposed to go down this time of year?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

somebody please pm me when it's time to buy

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

poverty goat posted:

somebody please pm me when it's time to buy

Isn’t it always time to buy. Buttcoins are always going to end up at the moon.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

CNN wrote a fluff piece on btc today and won’t let me link it through the app. Figures

The best investment of the decade turned $1 into $90,000

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/17/investing/best-worst-investments-decade-bitcoin/index.html

low key lol that this article's primary source is the Bofa report

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Waltzing Along posted:

Hmm...number go up. I thought it was supposed to go down this time of year?

Well gee, that can only be explained as organic demand due to Chinese New Years.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Number go up, number go down.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

TheBizzness posted:

Number go up, number go down.

:wrong:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

the bitcoin price has always gone up

when it appeared to go down, that was just the rest of the world's monetary systems being revalued to the current number of available bitcoins

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's just doing 100% organic stair step movements.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
why don’t any of the anti bitcoin weirdos post graphs that actually use Ligma?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterSchiff/status/1218911797626847234

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here