Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

sleepy gary posted:

Worked in Venice :v:

And Atlanta, though not for water, to allow a trendy place for white people to come back into the city post white flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Where else am I going to chain my motorcycle?

That’s more than 400 pounds though?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

crazypeltast52 posted:

That’s more than 400 pounds though?

Not really, not compared to a much larger block of cement.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Just build a house with a concrete foundation that extends 15 feet above ground

ask and you shall recieve

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=25651

https://goo.gl/maps/UAyaxD27jyZ15akV7

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Also useful for anti-elephant defenses!

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011
We call them Queenslanders here, and they're one of my favorites types of home.

https://traditionalqueenslanders.com.au/why-build-with-us/history-of-the-queenslander/

If I had endless amounts of money I would definitely buy one of the pre-war Queenslanders that are still around. You know, if I had a million dollars lying around.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canyoneer posted:

I still don't know the backstory to this :(

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Splicer posted:

I still don't know the backstory to this :(

Multi-page derail about a chunk of concrete with a piece of chain being used as a motorcycle theft deterrent and all the debate and discussion around said chunk of building material and the impracticality of that particular application :eng101:

And of course it's eternal persistence as a thread joke notwithstanding

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

coupedeville posted:

Multi-page derail about a chunk of concrete with a piece of chain being used as a motorcycle theft deterrent and all the debate and discussion around said chunk of building material and the impracticality of that particular application :eng101:

Well the whole point of the concrete lump was to be hard to move, so it's not surprising that it has stayed in the thread so long.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ashcans posted:

Well the whole point of the concrete lump was to be hard to move, so it's not surprising that it has stayed in the thread so long.

It's several hundred pounds so you're going to be hard-pressed to find a buyer

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Only like 3 things have ever happened in DIY so the memes get pretty stale. Plug socket overkill, insulated stairs, cut beams, missing toilet, concrete block. Missing any?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

coupedeville posted:

The main thrust of the argument was over whether it was really four hundred pounds and how that would be impractically large and take several bags of concrete.

A photo was provided and would you look at that, the dimensions check out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=119#post442930815

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Only like 3 things have ever happened in DIY so the memes get pretty stale. Plug socket overkill, insulated stairs, cut beams, missing toilet, concrete block. Missing any?

The only thing stale here is you, old man

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Ken's House of Theseus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“We are like sailors who must rebuild their ship on the open sea, never able to dismantle it in dry-dock and to reconstruct it there out of the best materials. Where a beam is taken away a new one must at once be put there, and for this the rest of the ship is used as support. In this way, by using the old beams and driftwood the ship can be shaped entirely anew, but only by gradual reconstruction.”

― Otto Neurath

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Tiny safe inside a safe. (hope it's not still probateable!)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Was the Hawaii Yoga studio originally a DIY thread? If so that's the funniest thing ever produced.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Was Zipline of Death DIY or GBS?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Basement pool was pretty great.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Zipline was GBS and I wish the old pics were saved before the guy realized the structure was a lawsuit waiting to happen

FYAD thread "goons are stupid as hell" was really good

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The main thrust of the argument was over whether it was really four hundred pounds and how that would be impractically large and take several bags of concrete.

A photo was provided and would you look at that, the dimensions check out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=119#post442930815

Proteus Jones posted:

Jesus, as much as I'm in awe that the motorcycle anchor de-rail has gone on so long, can everyone stop sperging about the weight. If you don't believe him just up and say "I don't believe it weighs that much" But no, Goons gotta ask leading question like Perry loving Mason thinking they can trap Nemesis into some sort of self-incrimination like any of it matters.

Proteus channelling the depths of my soul after 16 years on this godforsaken website.

extravadanza posted:

Basement pool was pretty great.

Ah yes.

Bad Munki posted:

The only thing stale here is you, old man

:bahgawd:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ashcans posted:

Also useful for anti-elephant defenses!

I prefer to encourage elephant migration in my home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5D3BwZOlCo

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Cape May's Coastal Battery #223 has you covered

canyoneer posted:

Just park it on your boat.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Only like 3 things have ever happened in DIY so the memes get pretty stale. Plug socket overkill, insulated stairs, cut engineered beams, missing toilet, concrete block. Missing any?
even worse because of course solid wood beams would still have most of their structural integrity from losing the top 1/3 unlike an engineered beam

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Jaded Burnout posted:

As noted, Ken's House, Safe In A Safe, and Tenant Basement Pool.

As not yet noted, Mismatched Windows, Shed Pipe :grovertoot:, McMansion Hell, and the AvE youtuber phrases.

That feels like it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

This boat seems pretty solid.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

HardDiskD posted:

This boat seems pretty solid.

It's pretty much gone now.
http://concreteships.org/ships/ww1/atlantus/death.html

If you're going to chain you motorcycle to a concrete block, be sure to take erosion into account.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This year's McGingerbread Hell winners have been announced!

First place:

the Pete Buttigieg sign makes it

My favorite:

the HOA might not like that pink garage though

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FogHelmut posted:

I've seen a concrete boat in Ft. Walton Beach that is still floating!
https://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20180227/concrete-boat-nearing-its-100th-berthday

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I prefer to encourage elephant migration in my home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5D3BwZOlCo

How "ripe" are those mangoes...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
This one made me actually laugh out loud when it popped up.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Pete sign on the winner is :discourse:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

there wolf posted:

It looks like it's screaming. A++ would eat

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

there wolf posted:

Thought that was the model home from Arrested Development for a moment.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to hide all that steel in the concrete? It's so annoying to cut through!"

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I'm the c clamp right next to the pillar, you know, just in case

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Plastik posted:

As noted, Ken's House, Safe In A Safe, and Tenant Basement Pool.

As not yet noted, Mismatched Windows, Shed Pipe :grovertoot:, McMansion Hell, and the AvE youtuber phrases.

That feels like it.

Was My Roomate Built an Apartment In Our Apartment* there or in GBS? I think I've only ever seen it after it got Goldmined.

* May not be real thread title

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Was My Roomate Built an Apartment In Our Apartment* there or in GBS? I think I've only ever seen it after it got Goldmined.

* May not be real thread title

IIRC that was in e/n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

(Also here's an edit)