Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1218313076564484099

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1218315199377264640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

generic one posted:

He was just on Ari Melber’s show taking about how abuse of power isn’t an impeachable offense. Guessing that’s what he’s gonna present as a “witness”. He also pressed back on being a member of the legal team.

Yeah I just caught the tail end of it. His argument on it all fell apart with the least bit of push back from Ari so he might not actually make it to the Senate.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Djarum posted:

Yeah I just caught the tail end of it. His argument on it all fell apart with the least bit of push back from Ari so he might not actually make it to the Senate.

I got the feeling he was basically saying, yes, Trump abused his power, but it doesn’t matter because that’s not impeachable? It was pretty crazy. Flies in the face of how they’ve been trying to frame it (i.e. a PERFECT CALL, no quid quo pro, no abuse of power), so it’s either a new strategy, or you’re right and soon we’re gonna hear the administration announce Dersh ain’t on the team anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

generic one posted:

I got the feeling he was basically saying, yes, Trump abused his power, but it doesn’t matter because that’s not impeachable? It was pretty crazy. Flies in the face of how they’ve been trying to frame it (i.e. a PERFECT CALL, no quid quo pro, no abuse of power), so it’s either a new strategy, or you’re right and soon we’re gonna hear the administration announce Dersh ain’t on the team anymore.

basicaly its a contest between trump wanting everything perfect and the other shitfucks trying to push "well he hosed up or did bad poo poo but he didnt know/doesnt matter/etc" but trump hates this because he can't do anything wrong. its gonna be a poo poo show.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Random Stranger posted:

The Trump impeachment defense team is a real who's who of people you absolutely would not want representing you in 2020. The only way it could be worse is if Rudy was taking part himself.

It's giving me hope that things will be entertaining in the run up to the inevitable.

hell you wouldn't want the trump legal team near an unsupervised minor

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Herstory Begins Now posted:

hell you wouldn't want the trump legal team near an unsupervised minor

What?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Lambert posted:

What does this have to do with anything.

Well dershowitz is credibly accused of sexually assaulting minors and Ken Starr oversaw one of the most horrific and directly administered coverups of many, many sexual assaults in sports while in charge of Baylor, so quite a bit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dershowitz was on Epstein's legal team and I think was recorded to spend time at one of his places.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What the hell, it's really always more with Trump.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Alan, literally spent ten years writing op eds about 'maybe the age of consent should be way lower' dershowitz

Hunt11 posted:

Dershowitz was on Epstein's legal team and I think was recorded to spend time at one of his places.

Way beyond that, was actively accused in some pretty credible statements. Also voluntarily associated with epstein recreationally even after defending him and knowing what all he was accused of doing.

Basically everyone remotely in his orbit has known he's a huge loving creep for a long time and even in his early days teaching at harvard most of his former students say the most memorable things about him were his age of consent discussions, in which he held very strong opinions. THere's a reason why all of his neighbors refuse to talk to him.

Re the baylor stuff, tbh look up an article on it, (but don't because it's insanely depressing) while a lot of the college sports sexual assault coverups maybe had some ambiguity or grey area about how consciously complicit the administrators were, the baylor one was cut and dry. They were actively trying to gently caress over the girls who had accused players of rape, it was really, really horrible, even as far as those things go it stood out.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 18, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1218578011722862592

One Weird Lawyer Trick: misspell the name of the person your client is accused of knowing, then deny he knows that misspelled version

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

This thing is crazy it's both hilarious, disturbing, and a bit worrying that Dershowitz is actuall on Trump's team. I can only hope that he doesn't seem nearly as sharp as he was 30 years ago (when he would never have taken up this case) because he isn't as sharp as he was 30 years ago.

Also, I have to add how loving infuriating it is to see actual senators behaving like whining loving children over this "no talking/no phone use" rule that's going to be in effect while the impeachment trial is going. You have senators just GOING ON about how OMG AWFUL it's going to be. Marco Rubio's actual words were, and I quote, "That's gonna suck." What the gently caress are you, a 12 year old girl!?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

kaworu posted:

This thing is crazy it's both hilarious, disturbing, and a bit worrying that Dershowitz is actuall on Trump's team. I can only hope that he doesn't seem nearly as sharp as he was 30 years ago (when he would never have taken up this case) because he isn't as sharp as he was 30 years ago.

While this worry isn't unreasonable, I think we've got a lot of examples this year of Dersh going on TV and, if you challenge him even slightly, being completely unable to make normal legal arguments that hold up under polite questioning.

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1218331941092646912

I think it's rather clear he's not remotely as sharp as he once was and he isn't really successful at pretending to be, either.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
the hosed up part is that I'm pretty sure most of these people are just as sharp as they were 30 years ago, in that they were never all that sharp but the system they were a part of, the old boy system that has kept them rich and famous for decades, is starting to wear thin. they don't have as much protection as they did before from their own idiocy because transparency is far higher and there are more people willing to call them out.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1218624779332222976

lol

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"It's just a prank, brah!" I say as I'm extradited for threatening an ambassador.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

"its just a joke, you snowflake" i yell as the delta team repels past my window and laser sights center on my head and chest.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/politics/trump-impeachment-team/index.html

Key quote: “Why are they doing this?”

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dude's a broken brained, dementia and/or syphilis riddled narcissist. There's every chance he truly does not have the capacity to understand the actions of other people at this point. If that led to him stepping down then whatever he could just fade away and die quietly. Instead he's determined to stay in office and hurt everyone he doesn't like or that his base wants him to performatively hurt for their gratification, so gently caress him.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

"It's just a prank, brah!" I say as I'm extradited for threatening an ambassador.

Might stalk an ambassador later hahah jk jk...unless?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Dude's a broken brained, dementia and/or syphilis riddled narcissist. There's every chance he truly does not have the capacity to understand the actions of other people at this point. If that led to him stepping down then whatever he could just fade away and die quietly. Instead he's determined to stay in office and hurt everyone he doesn't like or that his base wants him to performatively hurt for their gratification, so gently caress him.

this. its also probably the first time reality/bad thing broke through the narcissistic dumbass brain worm iron dome of his ego and he kinda realizes that "oh gently caress bad things happened to me and "Out, damned spot! Out, I say!" type poo poo.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1218694715211685889

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

didnt dersh walk back on saying he would do this for trump?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Pretty sure that's 'literally hung/shot for treason' territory and not 'golly better wait for an election' territory

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

didnt dersh walk back on saying he would do this for trump?

No he’s still going to testify that because high crimes isn’t defined that abuse of power isn’t a crime.

He’s stepped away from a letter written from the White House and said he had nothing to do with it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/DavidPriess/status/1219016591729405952

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/1219112431282278402

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I was wondering when the NSA was going to show up. Given the international nature of this conspiracy there’s no way they haven’t been crawling all over this since the beginning.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I was wondering when the NSA was going to show up. Given the international nature of this conspiracy there’s no way they haven’t been crawling all over this since the beginning.

DEEP STATE

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I'm always happy to see Carter Page reappear

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1219322158452789248

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Phoix posted:

I'm always happy to see Carter Page reappear

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1219322158452789248

:allears: same

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"I just want to make sure you understand that I'm the most important person involved in these crimes. The crimes could never have happened without me."

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I could have sworn I saw something the other day about Parnas handing over audio of Trump to the IC. Wonder if/when they plan to hand it over to the Senate

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

oxsnard posted:

I could have sworn I saw something the other day about Parnas handing over audio of Trump to the IC. Wonder if/when they plan to hand it over to the Senate

Barr will do literally everything in his power and a bunch of stuff not in his power to prevent it.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

KillHour posted:

Barr will do literally everything in his power and a bunch of stuff not in his power to prevent it.

how? I'm not being a dick, I'm genuinely curious

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

oxsnard posted:

Sequestered for sensitivity to national security or some other such bullshit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

oxsnard posted:

The IC is exclusively part of the executive branch. Trump doesn't have total control over them, but he has a hell of a lot of pull.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

oxsnard posted:

Right now the DOJ is refusing to release documents involving Kushner (e.g. the Mueller 302s) as part of a FOIA request, despite being ordered to do so by court order.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KillHour posted:

The IC is exclusively part of the executive branch. Trump doesn't have total control over them, but he has a hell of a lot of pull.
He would have had more if he hadn't stuck his dick into the FBI right after inauguration. What a loving self own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
ok, so how were they able to release all those Parnas texts and documents then?