Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

A merchant republic can also have feudal vassals. That’s if for some reason you want a relatively powerful vassal who can pull up a big army and will always hate you for not being a king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I had a merchant republic pop up under me when I was king last game. I kinda just let him do his own thing? I kept getting all sorts of notifications about elections that I was isolated from, I wasn't allowed to build trade ports to help out, so I just shrugged and enjoyed the tax income. The way DLC integrates is weird.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i just made a vassal merchant republic in ascalon because it's on the silk road and love hearing all about china, put my half uncle or something in as founder and he got murdered within 3 years so another family member came in as patrician and he's a little more likely to last because he has higher intrigue and is always hiding

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Megistos the Saint passed away in his early 50s, but he will always be remembered for ending the budding schism of the Church and stabilizing western Christendom.

His heir would quickly be assailed by the 1st of three Abbasid jihads for Azerbaijan.
Why Azerbaijan was the goal when the Empire controlled Jerusalem and much of the northern Levant is unknown.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Am I the only one who gets excited when my king dies? I think managing your new ruler's succession is the most interesting part of the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I think for my next game I'm going to try Rurik; is the early game all about trying to Subjugate as many people as humanly possible before Rurik dies?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No idea about CK2 but in real life his kids took the majority of holdings.

What does the "wrong type of holding in demesne" alert mean, and how do I make it go away? I assume it's because I'm too high status and just took over a single county, but I have no one to give it to right away.

E: even if I give new lands to my vassals, the territories have a "wrong holder" debuff. What am I doing wrong?

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 19, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tias posted:

What does the "wrong type of holding in demesne" alert mean, and how do I make it go away? I assume it's because I'm too high status and just took over a single county, but I have no one to give it to right away.

You have a temple or city in your direct possession

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Serephina posted:

I had a merchant republic pop up under me when I was king last game. I kinda just let him do his own thing? I kept getting all sorts of notifications about elections that I was isolated from, I wasn't allowed to build trade ports to help out, so I just shrugged and enjoyed the tax income. The way DLC integrates is weird.

They always hate you if you're feudal and control them as you're the "wrong kind of government" but generally speaking merchant republics are weirdly stable. For the most part you can just let them exist and take some of what comes out of the money hose. The AI is actually kind of incompetent when it comes to running them, sadly. Playing a republic nets you thoroughly obscene amounts of money.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Tias posted:

E: even if I give new lands to my vassals, the territories have a "wrong holder" debuff. What am I doing wrong?

Are you tribal and is the new holding feudal?

Tias
May 25, 2008

TITY BOI posted:

Are you tribal and is the new holding feudal?

Extremely likely, though I'm not sure. It's a starting run in 968 with Hæsteinn who's a norse pagan, so almost certainly also tribal. How do I fix the holding issue then?

E: wiki suggests I hold them and eat the debuffs while I prepare to feudalize - that seems like a rather long slog.

E E: And giving them to my courtiers also mean those leave my court, throwing away their competence in my titled council positions they have. How do I keep them and give them lands at the same time :confused:

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 19, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ulmont posted:

Judge Dredd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcRt3YUbN0k

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That gaunt looking Emperor in my last post was named a Saint after passing, while Megistos the Saint was not. Hardly fair I think. If you manage to heal the schism you should be guaranteed sainthood despite your traits.

Anyways, two imperial elections later, the first Makedon Emperess has been elected on the strength of her amazing combination of traits and stats. As you can see, the Empire has greatly expanded it's presence in Syria and Italy.

Makedon Exarchs currently rule over Sicily, Croatia, Serbia, Greece, Trebizond, Armenia and Syria, while a distant cousin rules as despot over Sardina & Corsica. Notable Makedon dukes rule over Jerusalem and Tunis.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

Extremely likely, though I'm not sure. It's a starting run in 968 with Hæsteinn who's a norse pagan, so almost certainly also tribal. How do I fix the holding issue then?

E: wiki suggests I hold them and eat the debuffs while I prepare to feudalize - that seems like a rather long slog.

E E: And giving them to my courtiers also mean those leave my court, throwing away their competence in my titled council positions they have. How do I keep them and give them lands at the same time :confused:

some government types penalize you for holding the wrong kind of title. a feudal lord, for example, is not supposed to hold a bishopric as well (a temple)

if you don't want to pass the title off to a courtier, but you also want to get rid of it aka pass it to just some random guy, go to the holding itself. there should be a button which will randomly generate an appropriate vassal to take the title

you can't keep someone in your court and title them at the same time. your court is the collection of random idiots who are kicking around your castle with nothing better to do. handing people lovely titles is a good way to get rid of them, like, if you have an otherwise useless low stat daughter, matri-marry her to some rando sitting in the corner and give that guy a title. they can gently caress off and make more dynasts for a while and you can ignore them until maybe someone useful is generated from the union

of course, you can always land someone cool and keep them in your council, if you make space for them

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

That gaunt looking Emperor in my last post was named a Saint after passing, while Megistos the Saint was not. Hardly fair I think. If you manage to heal the schism you should be guaranteed sainthood despite your traits.

Anyways, two imperial elections later, the first Makedon Emperess has been elected on the strength of her amazing combination of traits and stats. As you can see, the Empire has greatly expanded it's presence in Syria and Italy.

Makedon Exarchs currently rule over Sicily, Croatia, Serbia, Greece, Trebizond, Armenia and Syria, while a distant cousin rules as despot over Sardina & Corsica. Notable Makedon dukes rule over Jerusalem and Tunis.

Get the dynasty shield packs! Makedon's is especially nice.

I'm back on a Venice run I started last summer to knock out two achievements I don't have yet in one go: 769-1453, and completely upgrade your palace. I started as the patrician of Participazio since they have the best-looking shield. It's about 920 now and it's nice having a 3-county republic duchy to fall back on (Ferrara) if I ever lose a succession election. We won that from the Lombards pretty early on.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Get the Mediterranean portrait pack too, westerngfx is :barf:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Various Meat Products posted:

Am I the only one who gets excited when my king dies? I think managing your new ruler's succession is the most interesting part of the game.

I do, but mainly because it resets all my Truce timers and I can pick a new law right away.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The Empress ended up losing Shy and gaining Poet, which is good.

She also ended up gaining Possessed and Lunatic which is bad.

Negatives are she thinks she's a werewolf. Positives are she can now add improvements to the Pyramids, which are a loving death trap. Without fail two random courtiers are killed by the traps in the Pyramids while exploring, every time a new Emperor is elected. And not just randos either. Once they got the new Emperor's younger brother and sister.

Also, Armenia is no longer ruled by the Makedon's. The previous exarch was a 3rd son who matrilenially married IIRC.

Tias
May 25, 2008

luxury handset posted:

some government types penalize you for holding the wrong kind of title. a feudal lord, for example, is not supposed to hold a bishopric as well (a temple)

if you don't want to pass the title off to a courtier, but you also want to get rid of it aka pass it to just some random guy, go to the holding itself. there should be a button which will randomly generate an appropriate vassal to take the title

you can't keep someone in your court and title them at the same time. your court is the collection of random idiots who are kicking around your castle with nothing better to do. handing people lovely titles is a good way to get rid of them, like, if you have an otherwise useless low stat daughter, matri-marry her to some rando sitting in the corner and give that guy a title. they can gently caress off and make more dynasts for a while and you can ignore them until maybe someone useful is generated from the union

of course, you can always land someone cool and keep them in your council, if you make space for them

This is starting to dawn on me, but thanks for spelling it out! This game is kinda hard to penetrate when I'm used to 'normal' grand strategy.

So, you're saying that I can just create vassals or marry girls off to dudes who will then accept being my vassals, and then it will hopefully stay in the family? Or what?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
'Staying in the family' is a loose thing at best. If you chuck some land you own to a kid (who then has their own kids), you might find your heir suddenly has a dozen related vassals who all have a claim on his newly minted throne, and heads have to start rolling to calm things down. Better to ship the kids off to Bumfuck Nowhere, France, so that in a generation or two if there's some infightning somewhere you can throw your hat in and claim familial ties and hopefully get a free vassal who came with his own dukedom. Theoretically. In short, surplus claimants to the throne are a liability (how historically accurate!) so just get rid of them.

What Luxury Handset was saying is that random courtiers have absolutely zero ties to anyone, so you can safely give them minor titles and they'll be predicable, loyal vassals. Also probably weak enough that your heir can diplomatically demand those titles back if he so wanted.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sure, but you also want to have a healthy dude to play once your current incarnation kicks it, and preferably one who already owns a bunch of land, right?

On that note, do I also have to vassalize my sons if I land them titles, or are they automatically loyal? I have a feeling the answer is no..

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tias posted:

Sure, but you also want to have a healthy dude to play once your current incarnation kicks it, and preferably one who already owns a bunch of land, right?

On that note, do I also have to vassalize my sons if I land them titles, or are they automatically loyal? I have a feeling the answer is no..

Don’t land your heir.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Don’t land your heir.

This.

I honestly believe that the game is scripted to gently caress you over, because I always educate my heirs with either Diplomacy, Duty or Thrift; they grow up nice and good, get positive traits, I bethrote or marry them to a nice young partner with high fertility...

then I land them, and within 6 months they have piled up every possible sin and lost all virtues, become gay and chaste, divorced/killed their spouse to replace them with an inbred dwarf and stomped their own prestige into the ground

All things you can't do ANYTHING about of course, even if the shithead literally lives in a county right next to your own demesne and is a mere Count under you, the King/Emperor.

:argh:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Your heir is to be kept in a glass bottle, only to be let out in case of emergency. I'm a solid advocate for Ultimogeniture, which lets you continually reroll until you get someone you like, and then:

ck2 wiki posted:

Succession at young age shifts more control over from AI to you. You are much less likely to suddenly end up in control of an excommunicated maimed kin-slaying drunkard of a heretical religion. (Because the AI wasn't given the time to make one for you)
...and that's the wiki, folks.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It's a shame really because from a historical / role play perspective you obviously want your heir to be duke of somewhere and building up some prestige and experience.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Serephina posted:

Your heir is to be kept in a glass bottle, only to be let out in case of emergency.

Ah, the Ottoman strategy.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

If you’re carefully creating artisanal, perfect heirs instead of intentionally creating dynastic thunderdomes or seeing how the AI can gently caress up your potential successor you’re missing out on a lot of fun

It’s not difficult to play CK2 efficiently but it’s boring. Much more interesting to play to your character’s traits, land all your children and see what horrible scenario you inherit on succession

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Land your sons, land your brothers, land your cousins. Otherwise you're an ahsitorical lameo. :colbert:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

BBJoey posted:

If you’re carefully creating artisanal, perfect heirs instead of intentionally creating dynastic thunderdomes or seeing how the AI can gently caress up your potential successor you’re missing out on a lot of fun

It’s not difficult to play CK2 efficiently but it’s boring. Much more interesting to play to your character’s traits, land all your children and see what horrible scenario you inherit on succession

This. I love taking over as my heir, seeing what insane bullshit he managed to get up to while I wasn’t paying attention, and desperately trying to somehow put it all back on the rails

Tias
May 25, 2008

BBJoey posted:

It’s not difficult to play CK2 efficiently but

I've yet to even figure out how to make my court not empty itself at random and not get beaten up by a jobber shithead count neighbour, so please educate me!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

BBJoey posted:

You’re actually right, but that’s for good players who learned the game doing tried and true strategies until they were good enough to wallow in the bloodbowls. I can’t imagine telling a beginner or someone asking for advice to do it because they’ll probably get frustrated and stop playing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

I've yet to even figure out how to make my court not empty itself at random and not get beaten up by a jobber shithead count neighbour, so please educate me!

at this point a lot of the advice you're going to get is from ck2 experts who have more or less solved this very complex game. so the advice will be technically good but maybe not so much fun

the problem you're facing is that you need to climb this steep, steep learning curve to get past the part of the game where losing is confusing and frustrating, to the point where losing is hilarious and chaotic. it's ok for things to explode in a giant mess because ck2 is very much on the procedural infinite nonsense side of the grand strategy scale, and one of the best end states for a playthrough is not hitting the end screen but setting events in motion which cause something wild to happen

Tias posted:

on the one hand, not landing your heir gives you more control over that person's traits. on the other, a landed heir may go a-conquering and either gain new lands or get themselves executed in a foreign court, so it's more interesting. i'd say land that heir for now until you have a better picture on game systems and how to achieve the goals you set. ultimately though the best thing to do is to keep your heir nurtured and closely guarded, until you're like 75 and your heir is 55 and has a kickass grandson and you can just toss the old heir into a monastery or something

your children will automatically be your vassals so long as you don't pass them co-equal titles. like, if you're the duke of fartsborough and shittington, and you title your heir as duke of fartsborough, then you're peers in the realm and the heir is then independent of your control. this is a bad situation - if the heir dies, and passes title to their heir, who will likely be different from your heir, then you've split your power for no real gain. useless fourth sons who can be landed in some other realm entirely though, sure, get rid of them and good luck to them

"loyal" is a tough concept in this game. will they pay you tribute and raise their levies when you call them? yes. will they try to murder you to gain title? also yes. remember that every character in the game is also playing to win via the AI, and this means your own children. i hope that at this point you've experienced the very ck2 moment of being proud when one of your ambitious children murders you so they can take the throne and thinking "ah, i hoped it was aloais the snake who would push me off a railing, good for him"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Landed my son in my Venice game last night as doge of Ferrara. Huge mistake since landed characters—even republican ones—apparently can’t stand in the election for doge of Venice. He is still listed as my designated heir in my minor titles though...

Also one of the Participazio dynasts is a full blown duke in France! Love to see a patrician family member break through into the feudal realm.

What’s a good way to find people to teach virtues? I have close to 5,000 points and I’ve already taught everyone who will let me by searching for my own dynasts in the finder. I think I may have even gone on long enough to teach some family members 2 virtues. Council members maybe?

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 21, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Quick opinion poll, Imperial Elective succession is just the best one right? I know it's Roman only, but having finished that game and getting back into the normal ones, it's tough not seeing it as all-advantages.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Landed my son in my Venice game last night as doge of Ferrara. Huge mistake since landed characters—even republican ones—apparently can’t stand in the election for doge of Venice. He is still listed as my designated heir in my minor titles though...

Yeah, they changed that a number of patches back, since it was causing occasional weirdness with feudal-republic flips, and then game overs. I had that happen a few times myself, where I was a king of a random inland kingdom, but I had a vassal republic owned by a relative. When he died, I inherited the republic, but because my capital was inland, it was an instant game over.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Yeah, they changed that a number of patches back, since it was causing occasional weirdness with feudal-republic flips, and then game overs. I had that happen a few times myself, where I was a king of a random inland kingdom, but I had a vassal republic owned by a relative. When he died, I inherited the republic, but because my capital was inland, it was an instant game over.

Oh poo poo. Yeah I coulda swore whenever I first started this game that my patrician had the republic duchy frame in the republic election screen, but that was only when I wasn't holding the top title. Now that I have it again, my heir in this screen is a small boy who definitely won't win, so when I die (which should be soon, I think he's 67) I'm really hoping I jump to my designated heir, that is, my son with the duchy, and not this little boy who's showing up on the election screen (and as heir in my character's screen..gulp)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You’re actually right, but that’s for good players who learned the game doing tried and true strategies until they were good enough to wallow in the bloodbowls. I can’t imagine telling a beginner or someone asking for advice to do it because they’ll probably get frustrated and stop playing.

it also depends on what your overall goal is.

if your overall goal is to paint the whole map then you need artisanal heirs because you do not have time to gently caress around fixing a broken puppy for 10 years before actually doing something.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

But if you don't land your heirs, then still have that annoying malus to your prestige for having a landless son!

How can you live without that .8 prestige per month?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I.. don't know? How big a deal is .8 a month? I think I just see the pop-up reminding me I have unlanded sons and think I need to fix it :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Tias posted:

I.. don't know? How big a deal is .8 a month? I think I just see the pop-up reminding me I have unlanded sons and think I need to fix it :confused:
I have hundreds of hours in this game and that popup is still the reason I land all my heirs.