Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I always find it amusing how much these MMO shows treat PVPers like horrible monsters instead of just people engaging with one of the mechanics of the game.
How many of them accurately portray the bridge-camping rogues ganking newbies for twelve hours straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I always find it amusing how much these MMO shows treat PVPers like horrible monsters instead of just people engaging with one of the mechanics of the game.

When it's locking people out of the game for 24 hours real-time and 72 virtual, it is a pretty poo poo thing to prey on newbies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If your game mechanics encourage ganking then it's a pretty lovely game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't know any current MMO that allows players to attack each other outside of designated PvP zones so that's just bad design.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A bunch of korean and Chinese MMO let you flag up at will to kill other people, its more prevalent in the region because PVE content in their MMOs really cant hold a candle to the western ones and FFXIV.

Thats not to say its encouraged, a lot of times it comes with really steep penalties. In BDO you can take over a persons grind spot by killing them, but if they keep coming back to it they can force you to leave because you'll continue to lose karma every time you kill them, eventually you wont be able to go to towns anymore because the guards will murder you until you improve the karma. In Age of Wushu you'd be thrown into jail and have to spend hours there wasting time and if you killed enough you'll be publicly executed which leaves you a debuff that lasts for days.

you will never see a chinese wuxia MMO isekai anime because to obtain ultimate power you must castrate yourself and become a eunuch

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 18, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

i like that sao alternative kinda just plays stuff up for the sake of looking cool and bofuri seems to play it entirely for goofy comedy

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I read the last five posts and opened my RSS feed only to immediately see this: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-by-appointment

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

nielsm posted:

Smile Down the Runway is pretty ruthless, and I have a feeling it's still bending things more positive than they really are. Also still recommending.

runway model height restrictions (5'8-5'11 is preferred) have become more lenient but moreso in the taller department. and even then, the outliers within the scope of the shorter end are stuff like 5'5-5'7 so it very much is a radically shonen style against all odds disadvantage Chiyuki is going against, considering Mille Neige is apparently an international brand. Even for Asian markets, runway models generally want to hit at least 5'6, so even there she's at a stark disadvantage.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

"Chiyuki, I named my company after you, because you are the most important thing in my life."

"Chiyuki you're a worthless talentless waste unfit to work for my company."

asian parenting at its finest lol

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

runway model height restrictions (5'8-5'11 is preferred) have become more lenient but moreso in the taller department. and even then, the outliers within the scope of the shorter end are stuff like 5'5-5'7 so it very much is a radically shonen style against all odds disadvantage Chiyuki is going against, considering Mille Neige is apparently an international brand. Even for Asian markets, runway models generally want to hit at least 5'6, so even there she's at a stark disadvantage.

I'm not even talking about that, but the events in the atelier and backstage in episode 2.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

"Chiyuki, I named my company after you, because you are the most important thing in my life."

"Chiyuki you're a worthless talentless waste unfit to work for my company."

asian parenting at its finest lol

maybe she should have been a better child by being taller

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man I'd be completely ok if more anime hide their lack of animation by being as stylish as hanako-kun

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah though i think it's more that the lack of animation is a tradeoff to maintain the style rather than the other way around. it's playing in that same edgy-for-teens space as stuff like persona and danganronpa, complete with megumi ogata like the latter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Another selling point of GGO.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lemon-Lime posted:

I read the last five posts and opened my RSS feed only to immediately see this: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-by-appointment

I'm surprised Amazon of all people is wasting money on an MMO, especially one as regressive as New World sounds.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kwyndig posted:

I'm surprised Amazon of all people is wasting money on an MMO, especially one as regressive as New World sounds.

Its an attempt to promote their lumberyard engine which integrates easily with the Amazon cloud. (Nobody is using it despite it being out for awhile.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its an attempt to promote their lumberyard engine which integrates easily with the Amazon cloud. (Nobody is using it despite it being out for awhile.)

That's not true! Star Citizen is using Lumberyard.

(:laffo:)

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I watched Hanako-kun 1&2 and it's good! I was dreading at least one poop joke, but so far nothing of the sort, 10/10.

Also, it's not winter 2020 related, but I've recently learned of existence of Thunderbolt Fantasy. It's incredible and made me feel complete as a human being

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

so the second episode of In/Spectre is basically an episode in a procedural crime show but they skip the investigation/gathering clues part, and jump right into the explanation of how the murder was done/motive for the killer.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
with every episode koisuru asteroid becomes more and more jokes about the entire cast being gay. it's ftw

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Some kinda DorohedoroXZombie Land Saga crossover announced
https://twitter.com/dorohedoro_PR/status/1218919009703227392?s=20

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

While I didn't actually watch it, this was the backstory for the protagonist in .back/Roots. I think.

gently caress me it's been a while since .hack was a thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

The Colonel posted:

with every episode koisuru asteroid becomes more and more jokes about the entire cast being gay. it's ftw
It's good

Rifle is Beautiful finished and it was also good. Halfway through there's an episode where their teacher considers which club member she wants to marry and her final answer is "all of them."

The Budoukan idol anime looks like it might be good? The shy idol probably has a crush on the main character and two of the other idols in the group are probably together.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 19, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Exia posted:

Some kinda DorohedoroXZombie Land Saga crossover announced
https://twitter.com/dorohedoro_PR/status/1218919009703227392?s=20

I dont understand this but I think I support it

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I feel like things would go very badly for the Zombie Land Saga cast.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ishuzoku Reviewers Episode 2: Wanna gently caress? Vote Succ.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When it's locking people out of the game for 24 hours real-time and 72 virtual, it is a pretty poo poo thing to prey on newbies.

Nerd pedantry: A 24-hour lockout is also just bad design even if you accept a lockout as desirable in the first place, as if you get killed really late at night just before you'd normally log out it means you effectively lose two days real-time/six days game time. To effectively lock a layer with a standard daily schedule out till the next day you'd need to set the lockout time at around 18 hours.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Grouchio posted:

Ishuzoku Reviewers Episode 2: Wanna gently caress? Vote Succ.

This show is the best comedy of the season. I want to show it to my friends, but also, I really don't.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There's heavy penalties for PKers in Dendrogram too, though I think those penalties apply to murdering NPCs as well. Like I said, it's not really trying to emulate a MMO despite the premise, since it's basically this procedurally generated world that's been running for millions of years in-game time, enough time that the NPCs just all have their own history and lives, and then the designers then just allowed players into it. Hence when I say it's essentially an isekai masquerading as a VRMMO. Though obviously the question of how real that world is does eventually come up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know any current MMO that allows players to attack each other outside of designated PvP zones so that's just bad design.

EVE lets you, but the space police will kill you for it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

EVE lets you, but the space police will kill you for it.

One of the key innovations of Goonswarm was finding ways to make this an economically viable means of assassination.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Allarion posted:

There's heavy penalties for PKers in Dendrogram too, though I think those penalties apply to murdering NPCs as well. Like I said, it's not really trying to emulate a MMO despite the premise, since it's basically this procedurally generated world that's been running for millions of years in-game time, enough time that the NPCs just all have their own history and lives, and then the designers then just allowed players into it. Hence when I say it's essentially an isekai masquerading as a VRMMO. Though obviously the question of how real that world is does eventually come up.

Also the point of being booted for 72 hours in-game is that you're not there to influence the world's ongoing development for those three days. And while it's definitely a dressed-up isekai, it's at least one that's engaging with its VRMMO format for once.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Cao Ni Ma posted:

you will never see a chinese wuxia MMO isekai anime because to obtain ultimate power you must castrate yourself and become a eunuch
Thankfully we have the chinese wuxia MMO isekai live-action Love O2O (which uses an actual chinese MMO!)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Asteroid apparently going for the Manga Time Kirara speedrun record with hot springs in episode 2 and maids in episode 3.

Original manga author did a really cute Hidamari Sketch doujin so I'll stick with it for now though.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Any suggestions this season for a darker thriller where the cast isn't in their teens? Something along the lines of Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, or Psychopass?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SweetBro posted:

Any suggestions this season for a darker thriller where the cast isn't in their teens? Something along the lines of Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, or Psychopass?

ID INVADED? Show about catching serial killers by going into their subconscious to learn who they are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

ID INVADED? Show about catching serial killers by going into their subconscious to learn who they are.

Pet has a similar premise on the other side of the law. Dorohedoro may also count if Black Lagoon is within your strike zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Dorohedoro is good