Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone ever made a joke about Three Houses and Dagoth Ur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the best part of blank-slate protagonists is you can just apply whatever headcanons you want to them and they'll stick, it's great

byleth & sothis said trans rights

e: like, Jeralt was such an :effort: dad, and Byleth was already a weird kid, I can totally imagine her going "hey I've decided I'm a girl now," with absolutely zero fanfare, while Jeralt's just like:

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 17, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
my favourite dumb headcanon about every and all fantasy worlds is that wizard hrt is extremely easy and effective and nobody gives a poo poo

still cis though

Rhugor
Nov 10, 2009
So I just finished up my first play through of the game as Black Eagle Crimson Flower route. I really enjoyed it but very much understand the complaints of it feeling unfinished. I felt it needed like 5 more minutes of dialogue or cutscenes, and maybe an extra mission to really tie things together more coherently. What House or Route would ya’ll recommend as a second play through from there?

My boy Raphael was a blast to use and was a murderbeast for me, and had a really great final card with Shamir, so I’m tempted to go Golden Deer. Though I have heard complaints in this thread and elsewhere that it doesn’t quite deliver on Claude as a character?

Edited for spelling/grammar

Rhugor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 18, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Rhugor posted:

So I just finished up my first play through of the game as Black Eagle Crimson Flower route. I really enjoyed it but very much understand the complaints of it feeling unfinished. I felt it needed like 5 more minutes of dialogue or cutscenes, and maybe an extra mission to really tie things together more coherently. What House or Route would ya’ll recommend as a second play through from there?

My boy Raphael was a blast to use and was a murderbeast for me, and had a really great final card with Shamir, so I’m tempted to go Golden Deer. Though I have heard complaints in this thread and elsewhere that it doesn’t quite deliver on Claude as a character?

Edited for spelling/grammar

It doesn't, it doesn't really give him a story arc tailored to his strengths and weaknesses the way CF and AM do Edelgard and Dmitri. It's really evident he was just shoehorned into a route written for a different story. That said, Claude's a fun character to spend time with, and GD is enjoyable enough. But the best written as a complete story is probably Blue Lions, imo.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Dimitri (Blue Lions) is a really good story. If you’re only going to play 1 more, then do that one.

Just don’t do Claude and Church route back to back if you plan on playing all 4 routes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eh it doesn't matter, they're all so similar that it only feels annoying if you do that first

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have a question about the opening theme. I found two different versions of Edge of Dawn, but I can't find anything that says that two versions exist. Neither seems to be a fan-cover or anything, but they have clearly different lyrics in two different parts (while being identical otherwise). Anyone know what's up with that?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have a question about the opening theme. I found two different versions of Edge of Dawn, but I can't find anything that says that two versions exist. Neither seems to be a fan-cover or anything, but they have clearly different lyrics in two different parts (while being identical otherwise). Anyone know what's up with that?

The Seasons of Warfare version is slightly more accurate to the Japanese lyrics and completes the motif. That's it, really.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Rhugor posted:

if you started with CF, IMO you should go through GD then BL, and maybe church at the end to round things out.
GD's part 1 has some parts that benefit from context you get in CF, and the part 2 stuff is a real big gut punch, especially if you come off a route where you marry edelgard. In BL she's more villain-y, but she comes acrossas much more tragic in GD.

ungulateman posted:

my favourite dumb headcanon about every and all fantasy worlds is that wizard hrt is extremely easy and effective and nobody gives a poo poo

still cis though
:yeah:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The DLC characters don’t really interest me but finally a flier magic class!

I would have liked a real 4th house that has a full route though the main game not just a Sidequest.
I’d have most liked a slitherer route let me side with with the bad guys that would have been more fun.

At this point what I want most now is a FE sequel that will be just as good as three houses.

Rhugor
Nov 10, 2009
Awesome, thank you all! I’ll probably do Golden Deer to just play a chiller route after Crimson Flower and it seems it gives more context, and then do Blue Lions last to wrap up the game with a bang after the DLC.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The most important thing is to take a position on Edelgard and then fight everyone else to the death over it.

Rhugor
Nov 10, 2009

capitaldelendaest posted:

The most important thing is to take a position on Edelgard and then fight everyone else to the death over it.

Edelgard is best so far, and I wish there was another 2 missions in CF cause of it. One for fleshing out the war a bit more, and one for fleshing out wrapping up the TWSITD thread.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Rhugor posted:

Edelgard is best

:hmmyes:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Must smush feudalism.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Going into part 2, I managed to recruit Bernie at the last possible second. 2nd last free period I spammed tea parties to get her up to B, then the last week I spamming faculty training to get my Bow rank just high enough that the B support would accept it.

...oh god Marianne's time skip portrait lost the bags under her eyes. :kimchi:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

I’d have most liked a slitherer route let me side with with the bad guys that would have been more fun.

that's edelgard's route. she doesn't like them but you are on their side until the final cutscene

would be nice to make them actual characters and see their side of the story tho. just making them comically evil so you can murder them all at the end is boring. also feels kinda hypocritical on the game's part tbh

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Manatee Cannon posted:

also feels kinda hypocritical on the game's part tbh

Oddly, Verdant Wind suggests that they might indeed be sympathetic if only they'd talk to you. A few characters speculate that they see themselves as fighting back against oppression and genocide, and that the origins of the conflict may be less clear-cut than your only sources say it was.

I mean, half the routes in the game (Edelgard and the Church) are already 'play as villains with sympathetic motives,' why not another?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The impression I got is that they were the descendents if the original inhabitants of the planet before Sothis and her brood appeared and created their own subservient humans

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’m going to have a total meltdown if Mage Knight and Dark Flier are indeed gender-locked

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Not too happy that it turned out the new classes are all magic using advanced level sidegrades. Flying magic user is definitely a great addition but the rest of them seem a little weird.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think it only makes sense for them all to be magic wielders considering that is the most restricted aspect of 3H's extremely freeform class system. Other than brawling, magic is the only thing restricted to only certain classes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
More classes for Lysithea to own death knight in.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Trickster is kinda needed, as Manuella just had no good class for her strengths/growths. War Monk is magic but also brawling for ladies and I think it's there for Byleth's who wanna go fisticuffs since Byleth has strong faith. And yeah there's no pure magic horse class and well fliers are broken let's just add an even more broken flier. :v:

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
My all-flier run is just around the corner!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eimi posted:

Trickster is kinda needed, as Manuella just had no good class for her strengths/growths. War Monk is magic but also brawling for ladies and I think it's there for Byleth's who wanna go fisticuffs since Byleth has strong faith. And yeah there's no pure magic horse class and well fliers are broken let's just add an even more broken flier. :v:

Punchy Byleths can just run Enlightened One.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Enlightened One doesn't have fistfaire. It's a moot point, though, because War Monk is for Bernie.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Enlightened One’s costume also manages to be the most absurd getup in the game

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It says something that even Mortal Savant looks better than Enlightened One, at least it has a coherent design. I like Byleth best in Assassin, it looks good with her color scheme.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Enlightened One's outfit rules

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

indigi posted:

Enlightened One's outfit rules

I actually like it because it continues Byleth's theme of not understanding fashion at all. Male Enlightened One looks pretty good, I wish her had that robe flair to it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It makes sense that Byleth dresses like that because she was raised by wolves Jeralt and taught nothing but swordfighting and fishing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

capitaldelendaest posted:

It makes sense that Byleth dresses like that because she was raised by wolves Jeralt and taught nothing but swordfighting and fishing.

Ah so thats what the fishnets are all about, they're actually fish nets.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Edelgard should of killed Dimitri when he gave her that dagger. that's the only thing she did wrong

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

I actually like it because it continues Byleth's theme of not understanding fashion at all. Male Enlightened One looks pretty good, I wish her had that robe flair to it.

I wish the Byleth green hair alts in smash had the Enlightened One outfits.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

:yeah:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yes but also it doesn't matter because you're playing her wrong if you aren't playing with the Edelgard colour anyways.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I’m going to have a total meltdown if Mage Knight and Dark Flier are indeed gender-locked
I think the datamine said that Dark Flier is indeed locked to female characters. Mage Knight is the coin flip, since no real confirmation was found on gender locks, except that a test run of a male Mage Knight merely recycled the code assets of the Holy Knight class instead of using new assets.

Regardless, be ready to power grind up lance ranks for the people who you intend to put in these class, since all multi-weapon Advanced mounted classes want a minor in lances before you pass the certification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Getting C lances is the piss-easy part compared to raising up riding/flying to A from jack poo poo.