Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Unfortunately he also breaks the law of gravity and in incapable of being arrested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

George Lucas Presents
CATS

All of the cats except Rum Tum Tugger are related.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Taika Waititi's Cats:

A group of stray cats living in the Greater Wellington Region sneak into a second-run theater and see Tom Hooper's Cats. Inspired by the movie, the group try to put on their own version of the show. Led by Stubbiejumper (Waititi), the cats have to deal with outrageous behavior of their Rum Tum Tugger (Jemaine Clement), the stage fright of Mister Mistoffelees (Bret McKenzie), and a sundowning Old Deuteronomy (Sam Neill). Also starring Lucy Lawless, Rhys Darby, and Keisha Castle-Hughes.

Five stars.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 18, 2020

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

angerbeet posted:

Unfortunately he also breaks the law of gravity and in incapable of being arrested

Full disclosure when I was high as balls this is one of the few lines I could make out and it heckin landed for me.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I hope someone compiles a list of all the non-sung lines that were added to this Movie to "explain" it. They were all hilarious, added nothing to the original poems, and probably fit on half a page.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
cats

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I just love how they turned Rum Tum Tugger from this:

Into this:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
THE RUM TUM TUGGER IS A cringey incel

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
CATS 2019 will go down as David Lynch's greatest achievement whether he made it or not. He should go ahead and take credit for it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bonus dumb gifs I found:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Don Bluth's One Good Cat Goes To Heaven

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I had a thought that would not leave until i made it reality in this realm

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 18, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Steven Spielberg's Cats:

A live-action adventure tale where the Jellicle Tribe are driven out of their home by the villainous Macavity and his minions. They wander the streets, searching for their way to the Heaviside Layer. The movie involves lots of shots of cats looking.

Steven Spielberg Presents Cats:

A wacky animated film that is meta, poking fun at the concept of the musical, and all of the characters are clearly in on the joke. Basically, it's the best thing anyone has ever seen since Animaniacs.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

just another posted:

MICHAEL BAY'S CATS

A BOMB EXPLODES IN THE HEAVISIDE LAYER. TUMBLEBRUTUS (Mark Wahlberg) RUSHES TO TH

Trailer opens in a sleazy milk bar filled with cockroach strippers. A retired RumTumTugger (Dwane "The Rock" Johnson) drowns his sorrows. A sexy government agent ladycat appears:

"I'm CIA director Jennifer Annydots. 12 hours ago, terrorists captured a party yacht owned by Columbian catnip king Ernesto McCavity, taking all guests hostage... including U.S. Senator Old Deuteronomy."

"You crazy bitch... you want to bring back the Jellicle Squad?"

ROLL CALL:
Equipment and Special Ordinance: MR. MISTOFOLEES
(A top hat flies through a window into the terrorist base. The hat flips inside out turning into a mini-predator drone and murders everyone)

Sabotage and Asset Acquisition: MUNGOJERRY and RUMPLETEASER
("Aw don't be hatin', we got straight-up ninja skills, si ese?" "Aw hells yeah, we mucho bueno samurai, my brotha!")

Transport and Heavy Artillery: SKIMBLESHANKS, the RAIL-GUN cat
(Tapdances furiously on top of a giant bipedal mech)

(Explosion/SFX/action montage)
BECAUSE
JELLICLES CAN
AND
JELLICLES DO

(Cut back to milk bar.)
Rum-Tum-Tugger: "Well... there's nothing I prefer to a horrible muddle."

TITLE CARD

(edit: OUTRO set to "Memories" cover by Imagine Dragons)

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 19, 2020

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I am currently working on a TTRPG that is CATS but Silent Hill 2.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Meinberg posted:

I am currently working on a TTRPG that is CATS but Silent Hill 2.

Please tell us when you're done, I'd love to play that. :holymoley:, that sounds amazing.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I hope someone compiles a list of all the non-sung lines that were added to this Movie to "explain" it. They were all hilarious, added nothing to the original poems, and probably fit on half a page.

I saw the movie in Germany while on vacation (I was afraid it would be pulled before I got back to the states). All the added “spoken” lines were dubbed in German, while all the “sung” lines were in the original English. I use air quotes because the line between singing/speaking seemed arbitrary. Dame Judy Dench told me cats are not dogs in English so I didn’t feel like I missed anything.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I unironically liked Cats. The play was better though.

My mom took me and my sisters to the musical on broadway in the early 80s. I was was only 4 but the memory of it is still engraved in me. I still remember a lot of the songs because my sister had the soundtrack on vinyl and we used to listen to it a lot when I was little. I listened to it recently and now I know why I come up with so many dumb songs. Songs like:

"Archibald Fatticus, doesn't wear a Hatticus and so he gets sunburned on his bald head. At 600 pounds, ground shakes as he bounds, but he's the jolliest fat guy around."

I just realized I've been singing it all these years to the melody of Bustopher Jones. A song that's been stuck in my head for most of my life and I only realized it just now.

https://youtu.be/xjwbgxFmwQw

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 18, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gianthogweed posted:

I unironically liked Cats. The play was better though.

I started by ironically liking Cats, but now I unironically like Cats. The music is stuck in my brain, and I don't feel complete unless I listen to

SKIM

BLE

SHANKS

THE

RAIL

WAY

CAT

at least 3 times a day.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Sillabub/Jemima should have been the audience surrogate in the movie, imo. In the stage show Victoria is basically mute (fan theory is she’s one of those white, blue eyed cats that always go deaf). She only ever sings in the ensemble. In actuality they were supposed to be one role, but they couldn’t find someone who was equally as good at such demanding singing and dancing.
So it’s weird that they made the protagonist the one that dances, not the one that sings. Besides, it’s all even more fake now so why not make them one character again, and if your actress isn’t good enough at singing, just dub her over? They did this with a couple of people in the 98 one, iirc
Also she gets her verse in Memory at the end so you could have like, done a character arc where she learns to have sympathy for Grizabella or something

I’m so ashamed I know all of this. It’s me, I’m the one with opinions about Cats :shepicide:

I'll admit it, I thought Jemima was hot when I saw the DVD for Cats as a teenager.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

You guys didn't mention that the Japanese production of Cats had all of the songs actually IN JAPANESE. Holy crap this rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU3Hyex5ME

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Trailer opens in a sleazy milk bar filled with cockroach strippers. A retired RumTumTugger (Dwane "The Rock" Johnson) drowns his sorrows. A sexy government agent ladycat appears:

"I'm CIA director Jennifer Annydots. 12 hours ago, terrorists captured a party yacht owned by Columbian catnip king Ernesto McCavity, taking all guests hostage... including U.S. Senator Old Deuteronomy."

ROLL CALL:
(A top hat flies through a window into the terrorist base. The hat flips inside out turning into a mini-predator drone and murders everyone)

("Aw don't be hatin', we got straight-up ninja skills, si ese?" "Aw hells yeah, we mucho bueno samurai, my brotha!")

BECAUSE
JELLICLES CAN
AND
JELLICLES DO

(Cut back to milk bar.)

TITLE CARD

This rules, so spot on

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fish Of Doom posted:

You guys didn't mention that the Japanese production of Cats had all of the songs actually IN JAPANESE. Holy crap this rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU3Hyex5ME

This is great. Everyone in this thread is great, I love you all.

Man I like how the music sounds like a train. I'm so easy to please.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Where the gently caress is our Jellicle gang tag

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

How would you choose just one set of images to adorn it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think that's why the movie hasn't been released in Japan yet, they're probably dubbing the songs.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The gang tag should be Railway Cats and feature Skimbleshanks' tap dancing

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

josh04 posted:

How would you choose just one set of images to adorn it?

Either nude Idris waving his hat or Bustopher spitting on Victoria

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

idk if this has been posted already but youtube just recommended me this clip of a TS Elliot audiobook and it's delightful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpvC4SIquvM

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Indie Rocktopus posted:

ROLL CALL:

BECAUSE
JELLICLES CAN
AND
JELLICLES DO

(Cut back to milk bar.)

TITLE CARD

:holymoley:

:yarg: :five: :gary:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Google translate is fun with that Japanese lyric video

[Skin Bull Shanks]
A fun journey and a sad journey
I love getting on the train

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

overmind2000 posted:

Cats absolutely holds up when watching it more than once. It's a delightful nightmare, a delightmare if you will.

Some things that stood out while watching it again:

- Tom Hooper is an awful director. The film is full of close-up head shots of characters that aren't emoting when the camera is on them. It's like no one told them that they were the focus of the shot.

- Rebel Wilson and James Corden are loving terrible and their songs nearly kill the first half of the movie if The Rum Tum Tugger and Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer didn't come immediately after them, respectively.

- The CG mice are disturbing but one of them thanks Rum Tum Tugger for not eating it after he throws it away during his song. That was pretty great.

- I have newfound respect for Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer, their part of the movie is fun and the only time that the bizarre look of tiny cat people in an oversized human world works.

- Judi Dench and Ian McKellen both have faces that are about 25% CGed which is way worse than bad CG or no CG at all. The film is basically trolling them for being in it.

- As far as songs go Skimbleshanks The Railway Cat (The Cat of The Railway Train) and Mr. Mistoffelees carry the second half of the film.

- It's a drat shame that the film takes away Rum Tum Tugger singing most of Mr. Mistoffelees, the whole song is a lot weaker without it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZQ_RgpO2T8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV8pkcZUXAg

- Why doesn't Mr. Mistoffelees dance during his song? It's kind of a thing in the musical. Look at that good boy go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7OrFAlcJYw

- I'm buying this on Blu-ray, DVD, and every other format the moment it's available.

They really did straightwash Magical Mr. Mistoffelees didnt' they.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Listen to this. The same sounding musical moment is in both songs.

CATS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiaGOdHU7dk&t=90s

Mentos commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zivWsrKQSDU&t=7s

I think there's some cinematic universe crossover here. (Or the Mentos folks just liked CATS. Or seeing CATS gave someone a subliminal message to go out and sell more Mentos.)

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 19, 2020

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

angerbeet posted:

Google translate is fun with that Japanese lyric video

[Skin Bull Shanks]
A fun journey and a sad journey
I love getting on the train

This is basically my outlook on life.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just found a better timestamp on both the CATS and Mentos videos for the effect, try them again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gianthogweed posted:

They really did straightwash Magical Mr. Mistoffelees didnt' they.

His character was the only part of the movie I had any connection too at all, because he’s a garbage hack cat who is so insecure and can’t do anything of value unless he has some kind of validation.

I can release Mr. M. I can relate.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

His character was the only part of the movie I had any connection too at all, because he’s a garbage hack cat who is so insecure and can’t do anything of value unless he has some kind of validation.

I can release Mr. M. I can relate.

:same:

I saw the movie before the musical and liked the take on it, but I can see how anyone expecting the Magical Mister Mistoffelees to be a huge dance number to be pissed off. There really is nobody shier than Movie Mistoffelees.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I like the 1983 Cats that has Rum Tum Tugger singing about how shy and aloof Mister Mistoffelees is while he's dancing around and blowing poo poo up with lightning.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

It’s amazing to see the journey people in the thread have taken to unironically liking Cats, it’s beautiful

Indie Rocktopus posted:

ROLL CALL:

BECAUSE
JELLICLES CAN
AND
JELLICLES DO

(Cut back to milk bar.)

TITLE CARD

I feel like Michael Bay’s Starlight Express would be the endpoint of cinema

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Friends Are Evil posted:

It’s amazing to see the journey people in the thread have taken to unironically liking Cats, it’s beautiful

An area college is doing a production of Cats in April. I'm considering going. I have never seen that theatre group before.