Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I have a Qnap NAS that’s being EOLd and want to redo the OS on it to freenas or unraid or something.

Buuuuuut, I don’t have 20TB free space to store the data on in the interim, or the £££ to buy 20TB+ parity of new disks.

I do have a gigabit internet connection, so could upload and download 20TB over the course of a few weeks.

Any ideas on where I can store 20TB at a reasonable cost for a month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

I have a Qnap NAS that’s being EOLd and want to redo the OS on it to freenas or unraid or something.

Buuuuuut, I don’t have 20TB free space to store the data on in the interim, or the £££ to buy 20TB+ parity of new disks.

I do have a gigabit internet connection, so could upload and download 20TB over the course of a few weeks.

Any ideas on where I can store 20TB at a reasonable cost for a month?

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage.html ?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I purchased StableBit Drivepool but am a bit confused how it works.

I pooled two drives together to make my Drivepool drive. I combined the D and F drives to make a Z drive (the Z drive is the Drivepool). I expected to see all of my files that are on my D and F drive on my Z drive, but the Z drive is empty.

Am I supposed to now move all the files that were on the D and F drives to the Z drive? That's fine if it's the case, but that is gonna take forever with 23 hard drives. I just wanted to be sure before I waste all this time doing it.

Drivepool is also making me a bit nervous about not knowing what is on which drive :ohdear:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
There is a hidden folder on each "real" drive called "PoolPart.gibberish. Files in those PoolPart folders are in your Drivepool drive. You can save files to those PoolPart folders if you want to manually choose what physical drive stuff is on.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I purchased StableBit Drivepool but am a bit confused how it works.

I pooled two drives together to make my Drivepool drive. I combined the D and F drives to make a Z drive (the Z drive is the Drivepool). I expected to see all of my files that are on my D and F drive on my Z drive, but the Z drive is empty.

Am I supposed to now move all the files that were on the D and F drives to the Z drive? That's fine if it's the case, but that is gonna take forever with 23 hard drives. I just wanted to be sure before I waste all this time doing it.

Drivepool is also making me a bit nervous about not knowing what is on which drive :ohdear:

Here's what I'd suggest:

1. Add all of your disks to the pool. This should create the PoolPart folders THF12 noted on each drive.
2. Stop the DrivePool service
3. Open up each disk and move whatever is on that disk into the PoolPart folder
4. Start the DrivePool service
5. Open the DrivePool app and select Remeasure under pool options. This will verify the integrity of the pool and remeasure all files. It might take a while depending on how much data you have.
7. Your Z drive will now contain all of the data that used to be on the 23 individual disks.

You also might want to consider mounting your 23 drives in a subfolder somewhere instead of assigning drive letters to them so they aren't junking up your main file explorer, but that's really more of a personal choice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Krailor posted:

Here's what I'd suggest:

1. Add all of your disks to the pool. This should create the PoolPart folders THF12 noted on each drive.
5. Open the DrivePool app and select Remeasure under pool options. This will verify the integrity of the pool and remeasure all files. It might take a while depending on how much data you have.
7. Your Z drive will now contain all of the data that used to be on the 23 individual disks.

You also might want to consider mounting your 23 drives in a subfolder somewhere instead of assigning drive letters to them so they aren't junking up your main file explorer, but that's really more of a personal choice.

Thats what you should do. But just turn the drive letters off for all the pool drives.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Krailor posted:

Here's what I'd suggest:

I would have never figured this out in a 100 years. Thank you so much!

If I plan on using SnapRAID, I have to disable balancing, correct? There's like 15 different checkboxes in DrivePool for disabling it, and I am not sure which to do:

Is that the correct way? Thanks so much for helping!

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

I would have never figured this out in a 100 years. Thank you so much!

If I plan on using SnapRAID, I have to disable balancing, correct? There's like 15 different checkboxes in DrivePool for disabling it, and I am not sure which to do:

Is that the correct way? Thanks so much for helping!

The main reason people say to disable file placement rules with SnapRAID is that, depending on how complex you make the rules, it could result in DrivePool shuffling files around a bunch which would increase the amount of work SnapRAID would have to do when it syncs.

By default DrivePool places files on drives based on free space percentage. If you're OK with that then there's nothing you need to change. But if you want to do something else feel free to go hog wild.

The second post in this thread has a great write up on configuring SnapRAID to work with DrivePool and the steps to go through if a drive fails:

https://sourceforge.net/p/snapraid/discussion/1677233/thread/a223522f/

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Krailor posted:

The main reason people say to disable file placement rules with SnapRAID is that, depending on how complex you make the rules, it could result in DrivePool shuffling files around a bunch which would increase the amount of work SnapRAID would have to do when it syncs.

By default DrivePool places files on drives based on free space percentage. If you're OK with that then there's nothing you need to change. But if you want to do something else feel free to go hog wild.

The second post in this thread has a great write up on configuring SnapRAID to work with DrivePool and the steps to go through if a drive fails:

https://sourceforge.net/p/snapraid/discussion/1677233/thread/a223522f/

Awesome, thank you! I am going to follow that link to a T.

I would like to do something else with DrivePool. But I am not sure how to go about it. Lets say I have a "You Don't Know Jack 3 Install" folder or something. I would prefer everything to stay together in that folder. I don't want a DLL file on one drive, the EXE on another drive, the INI on a 3rd drive, etc. if that makes sense. What would I do to accomplish everything "staying together" when possible? What I did in my screen shots?

Thanks again by the way

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Awesome, thank you! I am going to follow that link to a T.

I would like to do something else with DrivePool. But I am not sure how to go about it. Lets say I have a "You Don't Know Jack 3 Install" folder or something. I would prefer everything to stay together in that folder. I don't want a DLL file on one drive, the EXE on another drive, the INI on a 3rd drive, etc. if that makes sense. What would I do to accomplish everything "staying together" when possible? What I did in my screen shots?

Thanks again by the way

That's not really something DrivePool can do.

There are two options that will get you kind of close:

Ordered File Placement - This will fill up pooled drives one by one so most of the time files in the same folder will be on the same drive except for whatever files end up crossing the drive fill boundary.

File Placement Rules - You can setup rules around what files/folders get put on what drives but this would require a ton of computer janitoring to specify what drive each folder should go into.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
If you want stuff to stay together the simplest way is to save it to your D or F drive outside of the poolpart folder rather than on the pooled Z drive.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If you're meaning like archives of the installers for stuff, and it's not too many, you could just put the whole folder in a single zip file.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

If you're meaning like archives of the installers for stuff, and it's not too many, you could just put the whole folder in a single zip file.

This is actually by far the best solution. You are assured no fuckery when you need to recover data. Excellent idea.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

I guess my paranoia/apprehension comes from being worried about this scenario:

-I have a folder called "family photos - entire collection" on my D:
-I then setup DrivePool, and a drive dies. I'm not really sure what was on that drive, because it was part of the DrivePool (if it were still kept as a drive letter, I might be able to figure out what was on that drive, especially if I use a program to record all file names/folders across all drives into a text document. Plus I kind of memorized at this point what is on which drive letters.).
-In my DrivePool there's a folder called "family photos - entire collection". Woo hoo! Except I figure out months later that it's not in fact the entire collection. DrivePool kept that folder across 4 different hard drives. I had a false sense of security because that folder was still there with seemingly a bunch of stuff still in it

You can change "family photos - entire collection" to anything similar: "best PS2 games to play some day", "my website entire backup 2012", "desktop folder from old laptop" etc. If the entire folder and its contensts are missing, I know it died on that drive. But a mish-mash of files being there and not being there kind of worries me a bit. I bought and paid for DrivePool, I am just a little scared to use it (I guess decades of my habits is hard to break).

Now family photos I of course back up (to an external USB drive that I keep in a fire-proof box, and also the cloud). But I am trying to show an example of what I mean. Does anybody using DrivePool find the above to be an issue when a drive fails? Do you find it even more difficult to keep your data organized since everything is now plopped into one drive letter? What happens if I have identical file names on two different drives and they are pooled together?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is why you tell DrivePool to save two (or more) copies of files.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I moved to Unraid over a year ago, but before that was on DrivePool and scheduling this to run daily solved the "How do I know what's located on what drive if I need to restore from backup" issue then.

https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1865-howto-file-location-catalog/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bingo. I get the impression this dude doesn't really want to learn about this. It's a little weird.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah this is key, before I went to unRAID I used drive pool and cloudpool almost exclusively. Forcing drivepool to keep two copies before uploading/syncing to the gDrive. So technically there were four recoverable copies at any time.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
If all else fail, you've got backups, right?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

WD 8 TB for $115 at Newegg gogogo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Nice. Snagged two to expand my offsite backup kit.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

redeyes posted:

Bingo. I get the impression this dude doesn't really want to learn about this. It's a little weird.

You mean "file duplication" in DrivePool? I wouldn't want to turn that on because it would cut my hard drive use in half.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

You mean "file duplication" in DrivePool? I wouldn't want to turn that on because it would cut my hard drive use in half.
No poo poo, sherlock. That's literally the concept of duplicating a file, in order to have two copies in case you lose one. How the gently caress else do you expect it to work?

redeyes posted:

He was this obtuse last time, when he dropped a hard drive and lost a bunch of data because he was trying to pat his cat at the same time as do gently caress-knows-what, and then spent a lot of time begging us for help restoring the super-important, obviously-unrecoverable data whilst we browbeat him about having 38 million external USB hard drives hanging off his system and expecting it to be a robust solution.

Following this, he decided that RAID was a great backup strategy to mitigate this risk and was shocked at us telling him that it was not, because the he simply couldn't comprehend that RAID wasn't this one weird trick for data security and some universal panacea to avoid having to actually buy and use additional space to ensure redundant copies of data.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nam Taf posted:

No poo poo, sherlock. That's literally the concept of duplicating a file, in order to have two copies in case you lose one. How the gently caress else do you expect it to work?

loving lol

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Do this:

Pool 1 (local HDDs)

Pool 2 (Cloud drive)

Pool 3 (Cloud + Local)

Turn duplication on, and specify the cloud drive as the home for duplication. Always write to Pool 3.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I have an ancient Qnap TS-419 which I wanna change to something new. I need something to run Sonarr, Radarr and NZBGet on and store the files, I already have a Shield to watch stuff. What would you guys suggest? Should I like build myself a small server or buy a ready to use NAS?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There are QNAP nas with intel processors which could run NZBGet and so on. The cost between that and building the equivalent server to run unraid or whatever would help you to make a decision.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DUDE the point of Drive Pool is you can duplicate only what you want. Turn on duplication for the important data folders.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

redeyes posted:

DUDE the point of Drive Pool is you can duplicate only what you want. Turn on duplication for the important data folders.

I figured it would simply duplicate everything in the pool. I didn't realize you can specify. Thank you! My DVD rips of Salute Your Shorts are safe at last!

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Do this:

Pool 1 (local HDDs)

Pool 2 (Cloud drive)

Pool 3 (Cloud + Local)

Turn duplication on, and specify the cloud drive as the home for duplication. Always write to Pool 3.

I will do this, too. Thank you!

I've only had 'em a week but I really like the 8 and 4 bay MediaSonic external enclosures. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to consolidate externals without creating a RAID/NAS.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

My DVD rips of Salute Your Shorts are safe at last!

This is the best thing you have said in here yet.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Devian666 posted:

There are QNAP nas with intel processors which could run NZBGet and so on. The cost between that and building the equivalent server to run unraid or whatever would help you to make a decision.

Think a RPi4 with a HDD attached would do it?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Le0 posted:

Think a RPi4 with a HDD attached would do it?

If you want to go minimal or build a case sure that is an option. I see the RPi4 has a much more powerful processor than in the past so it would be able to do the job. I have a preference for off the shelf hardware and hot swap bays but that's more about me.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Canadian hard drive deal for a change. :canada:

CAD$135 for WD 8TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07D5V2ZXD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_64ekEbFD47QEB

Lowest price ever according to camelcamelcamel

Edit: it's gone

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 22, 2020

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

Canadian hard drive deal for a change. :canada:

CAD$135 for WD 8TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07D5V2ZXD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_64ekEbFD47QEB

Lowest price ever according to camelcamelcamel

poo poo, looks like it's gone already.

EDIT: But it looks like newegg.ca has them at list price $135. Imported from the US though, I had to pay $30 in duties on an order of 2.

eshock fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 22, 2020

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Well I snagged one, shipped and sold by Amazon themselves, but it had a 1-2 day lead time so let's see if it actually arrives.

Honestly it must have sold out within 15 minutes of me seeing it.

Hope the cheap arse hard drives trend jumps the border like a coronavirus.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EasyStore 12TB for $190:
https://slickdeals.net/f/13814855-12tb-wd-easystore-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-190

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

The Reddit thread makes it sound like some of these have been shucked then put back in and returned, FWIW.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What do you guys use for automated cloud backups on FreeNAS? I'd like something that could hold on to full snapshots from say.. 1, 3, and 6 months ago? I've gotten more serious about using my local nextcloud for personal stuff so I need to get more serious about backing it up than a manual copy onto an offline external drive whenever I think to do one. That dataset is only a few hundred gigs and grows very slowly so it shouldn't be too much to manage?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

The Milkman posted:

What do you guys use for automated cloud backups on FreeNAS? I'd like something that could hold on to full snapshots from say.. 1, 3, and 6 months ago? I've gotten more serious about using my local nextcloud for personal stuff so I need to get more serious about backing it up than a manual copy onto an offline external drive whenever I think to do one. That dataset is only a few hundred gigs and grows very slowly so it shouldn't be too much to manage?

I'm not using FreeNAS but I've been liking restic + backblaze b2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Asrock has listed three new AMD server boards, that were apparently teased in November (I missed this). All have IPMI and 2x10G-baseT PHYs with server-style configuration (no HDMI/audio, etc).

X570D4I-2T - 1x PCIe 4.0x16 (or x4x4x4x4 bifurcated), 4 ECC sodimm slots (rare but does exist), and no chipset fans (real heatsinks!). No M.2s, as much as Asrock's department of hold-my-beer did good here, a perfect 5/7 would have squeezed in a M.2 4.0x4 on the back. Solid but not their best hold-my-beer.

ROMED8-2T - 7x PCIe 4.0x16 slots :getin: and... USB type C? :confused: Are they doing type-C for a combined keyboard-video out on servers now, or something?

ROMED8QM-2T - 2x 4.0x16 slots, 7x slimline U.2 4.0x8 connections, and a mezzanine A or B card? Weird and I'm not quite getting who this is for. Evidently someone who wants a high-power mezzanine card for DL or something and then lots of slimline external PCIe connectivity for ???. Caching, bulk NVMe storage for large models, something else?

Also, FYI, HP is running their branded Epyc processor kits for about 30% under MSRP of the processor alone. 7402P kit is 24C for $1030, 7302P is 16C for $607

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 25, 2020