Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I’m the middle of an AW2e campaign with people that have never RPed or that have RPed other, crunchier systems so I’ve had a bit of experience with telling people “narrative your action, don’t just say you are doing the move”.

Thanks for the feedback both! The slots at UKGE are 4 hours long so it should be possible to do a full episode of WWW . What’s the ideal number of players? I was thinking around 4 or 5 would be optimal.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Generally it’s good to do the stats ahead of time. It’s the hardest part of character generation, to guess what will be important.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Has anyone played Rapscallion? It's a pre-release early play test by Magpie games where you play pirates (the sea kind!) https://www.magpiegames.com/our-games/ashcans/. There are some free to download materials. Reading through it, it looks pretty awesome, unexpectedly fantastical! I really want to play it - be straight on to Kickstarter if it gets there. Passing on the same page also looks pretty good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Liked it. Needs a Read a Sitch move.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
This looks like it will be Very Much My poo poo. I was already doing some work on converting Burned Over to a pirate setting, this looks much easier.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

trouser_mouse posted:

Has anyone played Rapscallion? It's a pre-release early play test by Magpie games where you play pirates (the sea kind!) https://www.magpiegames.com/our-games/ashcans/. There are some free to download materials. Reading through it, it looks pretty awesome, unexpectedly fantastical! I really want to play it - be straight on to Kickstarter if it gets there. Passing on the same page also looks pretty good.
Tried it, it was pretty fun, we had a ghost navigator, a Goro-style cyclops sailor (my guy) and a cat dude (I don’t know if “cat dude” was part of the setting, all the others were basically kits you could take). We ended up double crossing one another for the booty and I killed the captain by dwarf tossing him into the side of the ship from hundreds of yards away, in a miraculous feat of strength.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s noteworthy that you weren’t trying to kill the captain, but he was near death and nobody spent any luck on the attempts.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I swore loyalty to the ship, the physical object of the ship, not the captain

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Anybody have any experience with/opinions on Bite Marks? It's a werewolf-pack-as-family-dynamic game that seems like it might hit the same notes as Stephen Graham Jones's Mongrel, which I'm enjoying so far. I remember looking at the early drafts on the Kickstarter--back when it had the much more cringe-y title of Bite Me!--and not being terribly impressed, but I'm wondering if anybody's taken a look at the final, polished version and if it's any good.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

GimpInBlack posted:

Anybody have any experience with/opinions on Bite Marks? It's a werewolf-pack-as-family-dynamic game that seems like it might hit the same notes as Stephen Graham Jones's Mongrel, which I'm enjoying so far. I remember looking at the early drafts on the Kickstarter--back when it had the much more cringe-y title of Bite Me!--and not being terribly impressed, but I'm wondering if anybody's taken a look at the final, polished version and if it's any good.

I've played a one-shot and a short campaign of it and I like it a lot. The key is that it's very much a social PvP game about a group where there's a constant struggle for dominance but also there's an exterior threat you need to work together against. Obviously the game's framed around a werewolf pack, but I'd also say its mechanics evoke an organised crime family or a pirate ship crew. I had a lot of fun with it, but your mileage will vary according to how much you want werewolf drama as opposed to werewolf action.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Flavivirus posted:

I've played a one-shot and a short campaign of it and I like it a lot. The key is that it's very much a social PvP game about a group where there's a constant struggle for dominance but also there's an exterior threat you need to work together against. Obviously the game's framed around a werewolf pack, but I'd also say its mechanics evoke an organised crime family or a pirate ship crew. I had a lot of fun with it, but your mileage will vary according to how much you want werewolf drama as opposed to werewolf action.

Werewolf Family Drama is exactly the jam I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendation! I think I'll pick it up.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just session 0'ed a Worldwide Wrestling game on roll20 and I'm pretty exhausted. First time doing pbta online, and I just felt like I couldn't get the conversation flowing the way I wanted it to.

Can anyone offer any advice on that? Also if there's any WWWRPG specific stuff for roll20 that'd be great, I can't find it if it exists though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I just session 0'ed a Worldwide Wrestling game on roll20 and I'm pretty exhausted. First time doing pbta online, and I just felt like I couldn't get the conversation flowing the way I wanted it to.

Can anyone offer any advice on that? Also if there's any WWWRPG specific stuff for roll20 that'd be great, I can't find it if it exists though.
What was the major issue that you had in terms of getting the conversation flowing? Were the players just naming moves like "I do a powerbomb" and then rolling for the wrestling move? Did you encourage the players to interrupt each other, do run-ins etc? How was your session 0 structured? Did you do chargen and then try to schedule based on that? Also, are you using voice comms and playing live, or is it written (WWW plays remarkably different when played live vs text).

Unlike a lot of PbtAs, WWW does require a little bit of preperation for sessions, since you need to come up with a card, come up with some swerves, and then see how the players screw up your plans/see what they did. Ideally if there's a match between two players, Creative should actually be doing very little unless you want to spice things up by getting an NPW to run in.

As an example, this was how mechanically the last match I played yesterday/last sunday.

- The NPW is introduced, and Creative just narrated the entrance and what they do, then gave me control.
- I narrate the entrance, but have my wrestler speak some words before: I roll for cut a promo.
- The NPW attacks me and the match begins, Creative gives me control.
- I narrate through a couple of moves and roll for wrestling and either ceding or retaining control as per the move.
- Eventually a run-in occurs from another wrestler: he rolls on the run-in.
- When I regain control, I have my character shout to the audience before making my wrestling move: I roll for Work the Audience.
- Control of the match gets switched between me and other player several times.
- The other player interrupts while I have control, and does a big dramatic moment.
- I interrupt him after he's done, and I use the Babyface move to gain heat on him (which sets me to +4 heat, gaining me an audience).
- He interrupts again, and uses one of his moves to call the finish of the match.
- I interrupt one last time, and use the Heel move to make me escape the match (my character has a move that allows me to use both role moves).

(after the second player entered the scene, Creative had zero input until the very end, since both of the players were creating content for themselves)

This was all within text, and interrupts are less common in that format (I think this match had the most), but if you are doing it live through VOIP, then you should encourage your players to use interrupt liberally, since it can really enable them to create some interesting swerves.

In terms of general PbtA advice that also works for WWW, tell people not to look at the list of moves that they have when they are wondering what they want to do. Tell your players this: "Don't look at the list of moves and choose one to use. Just narrate what your character is doing and then I'll tell you what to roll". This is especially true for the Wrestling move: although the rules don't state this, the way we've played that move is to allow Creative to decide which stat is rolled, based on the description of the move itself. I think this works well. PbtA only really works if you make the players engage with the narrative, instead of seeing the moves as a fixed list of things they can do.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 28, 2020

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've played and run a bunch of Dungeon World, Monsterhearts, Inverse World, and one Apoc World session, but all in-person. Everyone else has played at least Dungeon World as far as pbta goes, and the group also does Blades In The Dark regularly, online. Some of them have been gaming with me for 20+ years. We're all on voice and video chat.

It's just that we can't seem to get the, and I'm having real trouble finding the words here, the flow working online. I dunno how to describe it, it's just coming out stilted and awkward. Because body language isn't available, maybe? Or perhaps it's that you can't meaningfully interject online because everyone's got a slight lag and it just ends up being everyone talking over each other?

E: poo poo there should have been a "thanks for the example of play" in there because that was really helpful. I must have lost the thanks while I was editing.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 29, 2020

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I suppose try of thinking of this game more in terms of discrete scenes rather than a single continuous thing.

Here's a backstage segment: throw a setup or complication and let the players roll with it. Cool. Now we cut to the ring: you and you are fighting, now I mostly gently caress off except for making rules calls and maybe meddling sometimes when you feel like it. Oh, there was drama, let's make a little follow-up segment in the locker room. Now that it's done with, let's have him and him scream some promos to the camera. Then another fight.

It's very much player-driven, with the Creative there to get the ball rolling, set up situations to respond to, book pairs with potential for drama and cool stories and so on. It's very much have a bunch of prompts and play to find out kind of deal, you don't really have an arc or direction to plan for. It's just a show; it has a bunch of segments and there might be a bunch of moments when you feel peeking behind the scenes might be worthwhile.

As for the fights themselves it's really just making cool poo poo up? No real tricks about it, just think whether your players struggle with the format of a wrestling fight (what do I do?), in which case get them a bunch of reference photos and encourage to describe stuff visually, or a problem with sparking the imagination - in which case bombard them with clips of cool poo poo, set example by NPCs doing crazy poo poo or using them to showcase stuff you can sneak in (like having the opponent "staggered" so you can go milk the audience) and so on.

I mean, how could they not go apeshit after witnessing the most illegal move in the history of wrestling?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

I suppose try of thinking of this game more in terms of discrete scenes rather than a single continuous thing.

I think that's gonna do it, because yeah, the game's very much structured around scenes and I was trying to treat it as one ongoing thing. I also need to butt out more during a match.

Thanks!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s never said explicitly in the book, but I found NPW’s in matches work best when they’re threats just like any other apocalypse game. Either they’re show offs, not selling your stuff, incompetent, maybe selling too much that it makes you look ridiculous, arguing passionately with people in the crowd, or trying to revise their moveset and the audience can’t read the match...

Because it’s almost impossible to make a verbal conversation describing a match as exciting as a match, make sure there are stakes beyond audience going up our audience going down. How will other people react backstage? Are the announcers covering this or another angle later in the show?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
My group recently started Pigsmoke, and it seems like progress in the game is... slow? (For what it's worth, it's otherwise absolutely fantastic!) Compared to Apoc World, where you can grab advancements once every session or two, XP jams, and the story wraps up in 8-12 sessions, Pigsmoke's XP rate seems like it's going to be closer to 20 or 30 sessions minimum (coming only from Delving Deeper and Teaching). Is that expected? Our group is usually into shorter, self-contained units, so we might pick a slightly-faster XP system if that's the case, but it's possible we've been doing it wrong so I wanted to know if there was anything we were missing before starting to graft other stuff on.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Got it running right. I got a bunch of '80s era ads and threw one onscreen at the start and then after each match with "Wrestling will return after these messages", which I think really brought home the "this is a show, we're playing as characters who are acting in a show" thing and finally got the last of the players to grok the "I'm going to lose this match to win at the game" thing.

Things flowed pretty well from there and it turned into a shitshow, but an entertaining one. This is the most exhausting PbtA I've run, but it's fun as all hell and it's a nice change from anything remotely serious.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Don't know if this showed up here before but it looks intetesting...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ySGypMo2OkBG0tmZkeV5Fj8d83SfnoE1

The Service is a espionage game where the group play SIS/MI6 spies during Cold War. It sounds more Carré than Bourne which is good IMO. It's in beta stage but what's there so far looks good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I like it, some of the moves are kind of boring but there’s clearly a lot of detail.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm still reading through the thread, are there any other PBTA games that use a "combine two playbooks" set up like Spirit of '77? I think that's a really cool way to build characters, and I'd like to see if there are any other ways that was done.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Agent Rush posted:

I'm still reading through the thread, are there any other PBTA games that use a "combine two playbooks" set up like Spirit of '77? I think that's a really cool way to build characters, and I'd like to see if there are any other ways that was done.

Pigsmoke has you choose a playbook for your Role and another playbook for the Department you work at.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I think With Great Power also worked that way.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Agent Rush posted:

Worlds In Peril uses a Drive Playbook and Origin Playbook system to make your superhero.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Covok posted:

Worlds In Peril uses a Drive Playbook and Origin Playbook system to make your superhero.

Crap, that's the one I meant. With Great Power isn't PbtA.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Legacy and its various hacks are also dual playbook to allow for tracking a society/deity/bloodline in addition to generational character playbooks that can get swapped out during timeskips.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I use it in HollyWorld but that hasn’t been released yet. You choose your job and your level of notoriety within the entertainment industry, from Newbie to famous to Tommy Wiseau.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
New Burned Over playbooks and Hard Zone over on the Baker Patreon- the X-Earther and Near Earth! Looks pretty cool at first glance, bringing a world of orbital habs and all that entails into the game would be a pretty near switch.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

Agent Rush posted:

Uncharted Worlds has you combining three mini playbooks which is interesting but I found kinda diluted the usual PbtA thematic punch of the playbooks. The Class Warfare hack for Dungeon World works in a similar way, though here it works a little better, imo, since the fantasy setting means the mini playbooks can really diverge in terms of abilities and consequences

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

World Wide Wrestling 2e is coming on kickstarter on the 15th of March and I'm very excited. I already have 1e and II but I'll probably pledge as soon as it comes up, since the game itself has been so fun for me in the last 6 months.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tekopo posted:

World Wide Wrestling 2e is coming on kickstarter on the 15th of March and I'm very excited. I already have 1e and II but I'll probably pledge as soon as it comes up, since the game itself has been so fun for me in the last 6 months.

What's changing for 2e?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's changing for 2e?
From the email:

quote:

World Wide Wrestling: Second Edition combines and freshens up all of the material from the core game, the International Incident supplement, and the digital supplements into one streamlined package. Some of the changes include:
• A re-design of the Basic Moves around the principle of smoothing out the Momentum economy so it works more evenly for everyone at all stages of the game.
• A new Basic Move to address backstage confrontations: Play Politics.
• Expansion of the core roster of Gimmicks from the original 10 to 15 by surveying and consolidating all of the published Gimmicks. They've been revised in many ways, including changing the "Power" stat into "Body," to create a more inclusive way to talk about strong wrestlers, as well as the addition of Wants, a new option to help direct characterization of your wrestler in play.
• Bringing in and revising the rules for the Promotion as its own character, and how that changes over time in long-term play (originally from International Incident).
• Bringing in and revising the rules for playing out what wrestlers do in between events, from local media promotion to seeing the family (originally from the On The Road digital supplement).
• And so much more!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It's gonna rule.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

KS is up now! I've decided to go a bit crazy and pledge for the "propose a promotion" tier.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like PbtA and I'm a longtime wrestling fan and I had some trouble grasping the rudiments of WWW, so I'm hoping the revision of the Basic Moves clears things up. The second edition of AW did that for me as well.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There is a definite revision in the basic moves, the stats, and the economy of the game. It’s a wonderful new version.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Halloween Jack posted:

I like PbtA and I'm a longtime wrestling fan and I had some trouble grasping the rudiments of WWW, so I'm hoping the revision of the Basic Moves clears things up. The second edition of AW did that for me as well.

Yeah I had the same issue. Just this weekend I was reading the book to propose it to a group as a fill in game and I just couldn't understand the flow. I've heard several APs of it but I don't know how you get from the rules to what those people were playing out.

Golden Bee posted:

There is a definite revision in the basic moves, the stats, and the economy of the game. It’s a wonderful new version.

I hope so because I really like the concept of the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

What was the issue that you had in terms of flow? The game flows a lot differently between IRL and written/discord/pbp games but from what I've heard of the IRL games, you have to keep the action going quickly and most of the spotlight switching is quite natural since the game itself tells you when to shift the spotlight. From the perspective of Creative, you don't really need to get involved in the matches themselves, and just let the players get on with it, unless you want to introduce an unexpected swerve at some point. Creative's job in the game is actually quite limited when the matches themselves are happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, how did you try doing it?

The intended way is that you keep rambling cool wrestling improv and the creative sometimes chimes in to say "know what, that's worth rolling some bones". Then someone interrupting or doing a run-in because they feel like it and can't let a person who brought the table out not land through it themselves.