Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Isn't it used in The New Frontier? And probably some other period piece comics I'm forgetting about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edge & Christian posted:

Isn't it used in The New Frontier? And probably some other period piece comics I'm forgetting about.

Yeah it's used by the little girl who rats out John Henry to the lynch mob.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

I get that Black Label is the adult readers imprint, but it's still really weird reading a DC book that has the n-word in it

Is this in Question #2?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I didn't realize how much I wanted a comic with frame-by-frames of Batman beating the living crap out of people until The Batman's Grave came along.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wiegieman posted:

I didn't realize how much I wanted a comic with frame-by-frames of Batman beating the living crap out of people until The Batman's Grave came along.

That's Warren Ellis, right? you should check out issue 5 of his Moon Knight run.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think Tom King is taking credit for movie Joker looking in a mirror and forcing a smile.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1216745019031375874

Seems pretty benign, but I don't know Tom King beyond the Batman runs (some I liked, some I didn't). Given his use of fractions, he seems to have some awareness that there's not much of a direct link.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man, this Question book is extremely my poo poo.

Also Jimmy Olsen continues to be a delight.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I don't know Tom King beyond the Batman runs

Get ye to Vision and Mister Miracle! also Grayson!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TwoPair posted:

Man, this Question book is extremely my poo poo.

Also Jimmy Olsen continues to be a delight.

:same:

It is nice that someone remembered that the Question had supporting characters, and it is good Fraction is doing anything again.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I generally enjoy his stuff, but I'm grateful we got "clever plotting and gags" Fraction and not "everyone says 'gently caress' until the TV contract ink dries" Fraction.

(An unfair take, but that's how I feel, okay)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress's a great word though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Am I the only one reading Far Sector? Because that's some good poo poo so far. Jemison hasn't fallen into the prose-writer-writes-comics trap of over-captioning everything that happens a lot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I am! :)

Catwoman special coming:
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1217812503079636992

quote:

In a story that expands their monumental run, writer Ed Brubaker and artist Cameron Stewart will reprise their Catwoman collaboration with a new 12-page story, “The Art of Picking a Lock,” that takes place near end of their original dynamic story line that started with iconic storyteller Darwyn Cooke. And no stranger himself to writing dangerous antiheroes, Harley Quinn co-creator Paul Dini debuts a new character for Selina Kyle’s anniversary in a story about an exotic cat taxidermist who intends to add Catwoman to their collection!

With additional stories by Mindy Newell (Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Lois Lane); the bestselling Batman team of writer Tom King and artist Mikel Janín; Ann Nocenti (Catwoman, Katana); and many more, Catwoman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular #1 is sure to delight fans of DC’s notorious jewel thief.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

That Dini bit reminded of the time Selina had a teen sidekick for about 5 minutes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Space Fish posted:

I generally enjoy his stuff, but I'm grateful we got "clever plotting and gags" Fraction and not "everyone says 'gently caress' until the TV contract ink dries" Fraction.

(An unfair take, but that's how I feel, okay)

Yeah, Sex Criminal was cute, but once you get the joke it is just lifeless/trying too hard. Him not handing in his script did give us Chip Zdarsky having to write books to live.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Endless Mike posted:

Am I the only one reading Far Sector? Because that's some good poo poo so far. Jemison hasn't fallen into the prose-writer-writes-comics trap of over-captioning everything that happens a lot.

I'm keeping up with it, and it's made me interested in picking up her novels.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

graybook posted:

I'm keeping up with it, and it's made me interested in picking up her novels.

The Broken Earth Trilogy is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I tried it and I really liked Sojourner as a character, but basically the whole setting failed to hook me. It feels to me like a story that'll read much better in trade format, so maybe I'll re-try it then.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

According to his twitter, Tom King’s story is called “Helena”.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

According to his twitter, Tom King’s story is called “Helena”.

Probably a sequel to his Batman Annual #2 story where elderly Bruce and Selina have a daughter.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.newsarama.com/48662-dc-comics-april-2020-solicitations.html
April 2020 solicits

Joker and Catwoman Anniversary issues, Bendis/Maleev Checkmate mini, a lorebook for Last God, the kids OGN line going hard, Conner in Action Comics, Paula Sevenbergen writing Catwoman with a story about killer sexy maids or something, the new Suicide Squad team is featured in the Flash Annual, Bendis introducing a new Dr Fate, Lantern and Beast Boy to LOSH like there aren't enough characters, the end of Spurrier's Dreaming run MOTH v GOTH!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 17, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh, it's a future Dr. Fate. That's fine then. Khalid had just re-accepted the Fate helmet in JL Dark and for a second I was afraid Bendis was already gonna bulldoze that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

:eyepop:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

B’Wana Beast Boy.

And Mr Terrific is the co-star of Strange Adventures.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.newsarama.com/48662-dc-comics-april-2020-solicitations.html
April 2020 solicits

Joker and Catwoman Anniversary issues, Bendis/Maleev Checkmate mini, a lorebook for Last God, the kids OGN line going hard, Conner in Action Comics, Paula Sevenbergen writing Catwoman with a story about killer sexy maids or something, the new Suicide Squad team is featured in the Flash Annual, Bendis introducing a new Dr Fate, Lantern and Beast Boy to LOSH like there aren't enough characters, the end of Spurrier's Dreaming run MOTH v GOTH!

I'm surprised the Terrifics is still going but it looking like the Island of Misfit Characters seems interesting.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
As someone with what feels like an irrational appreciation for Mister Terrific, I'm also surprised this didn't get canceled along with those other titles or debuted alongside, but I'm glad to be getting Mister Terrific content all the same.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

graybook posted:

As someone with what feels like an irrational appreciation for Mister Terrific, I'm also surprised this didn't get canceled along with those other titles or debuted alongside, but I'm glad to be getting Mister Terrific content all the same.

Plastic man cannot be denied.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It probably got a stay of execution because it’d be crazy to cancel it now that Terrific will be in Strange Adventures.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It really is weird out of all the JSA connected heroes to survive the reboots, it was Mr. Terrific.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wtf is that Tom Strong?!

That's an awfuly Quitely looking Flash there. Not 100% on the suit but like some of the ideas.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the terrifics is great, but i haven't read it since Yang took over. that cast looks right up my alley though

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
the past several issues have had a dinkload of bizarro speak so I have to be careful about how much of the dialogue i have to negate in order to interpret it properly

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TwoPair posted:

I'm surprised the Terrifics is still going but it looking like the Island of Misfit Characters seems interesting.

It's surprisingly fun in a kind of "let's check out the ragged edges of the continuity" kind of way

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Endless Mike posted:

Far Sector owns bones!

I enjoyed the hell out of The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage #2 but uhh something was up with the politics of which characters died, and how.

I'm not sure how to articulate it beyond "this feels wrong/tropey to the point of laziness," but otherwise the production's so good I'm still in for #3. Can't get over how good a fat, square comic with no ads feels.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
I love how Bendis' idea of writing the Legion is to be writing a book with as much present day DCU and DCU references as he can possibly fit into it.

No, wait, I mean the other thing.

God forbid the 31st Century develop a(nother) take on its own.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's good because they're self-aware that no one cares about the Legion and would rather be reading anything else.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bring back Legionaires and I'll care

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

It's good because they're self-aware that no one cares about the Legion and would rather be reading anything else.

RUDE

Someday I'll get my Bouncing Boy/Wildfire buddy team book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

It is a huge shame that Legion is just so extremely flat. You could definitely just shuffle the characters around and get the same effect other than Jon. To be fair, Bendis has never written a team book with clear character voices in his life so I don't know why I expected Legion to be different.

Looking forward to him doing tight character focused issues at some point, because this book desperately needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love the Legion and Bendis is just not doing a good job.