Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
In today's OP build of the day: Artemis double cast works with Zeus + Dionysus Duo. Killed act 3 boss in < 15s just face tanking and sitting in a thunderstorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Even if you don't want a Doom Boon, Ares still has the flat +% damage Boon and a really good Call.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The 10-12% damage boon is sort of a trap. Most damage effects stack additively so if you already have 150% bonus damage on an ability, another 10% to that is actually just a 4% damage increase. It's decent if you don't have a ton of damage buffs on your main attacks though. On the other hand, Artemis' Pressure Points is always going to shoot your damage through the roof.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel like the game's in good shape if people are arguing different gods are weaker or stronger than others

dang if aphrodite and artemis aren't way ahead of the rest though

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Is it wrong that I really like Poseidon in act 4? The baddies hit the walls and the bodies hit the floor.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Not at all: I forget if it ended in a win or not, but I remember having a pretty fun final floor/boss fight with Poseidon boons where everyone flew everywhere and got whacked for hundreds of damage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Helion posted:

Is it wrong that I really like Poseidon in act 4? The baddies hit the walls and the bodies hit the floor.
heck no, it's the most fun thing in the game!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ares's dash seems like the best one for damaging bosses, especially the act 3+4 ones since you'll be dashing away from their melee attacks all the time. It's not the sort of thing you want to deliberately try to hit them with, but it adds up a lot as you're doing what you'd be doing anyway. It also makes you basically immune to small rat swarms and the little suicide chariots.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mzbundifund posted:

Ares's dash seems like the best one for damaging bosses, especially the act 3+4 ones since you'll be dashing away from their melee attacks all the time. It's not the sort of thing you want to deliberately try to hit them with, but it adds up a lot as you're doing what you'd be doing anyway. It also makes you basically immune to small rat swarms and the little suicide chariots.

if you combine that with the Ares boon that makes your blade rifts suck enemies in you can kill whole rooms just by dodging poo poo

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I usually go with the Zeus and Athena trinkets for first two zones to get their boons then switch back to the Broken Spearpoint from Elysium onwards, Zeus chain lightning on attacks seems pretty good for clearing/stunning packs, sometimes depending on the weapon choice Athena's deflect on attack is also good.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

CharlestonJew posted:

if you combine that with the Ares boon that makes your blade rifts suck enemies in you can kill whole rooms just by dodging poo poo

I was watching a playthrough where they just kept getting buffs for blade rifts casts. Bigger blades, fast casting, more damage per tick, 5 or 6 casts, plenty of money to by braids which were lasting 9 rooms, blades home in on enemies AND suck enemies in. She almost beat the whole game before even learning about Persephone

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah Hunting Blades is the most busted build in the game.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Helion posted:

If your act 4 mini-rooms arent "Enter room, hit 4 buttons, everything explodes and dies", I question your build.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Archenteron posted:

If your act 4 mini-rooms arent "Enter room, hit 4 buttons, everything explodes and dies", I question your build.

Eh my Chirron build often ends up weak in the Cast department which is pretty important for 4; however, it's great at taking out the Big Rats/Crystals/Satyrs which can otherwise take awhile, so I usually suck it up. With Broken Spearpoint and abusing it, you don't take much damage in 4. I've had a few runs where my only Cast was the default bloodstone because I just didn't get an option for it so it made 4 go a lot slower than other weapons.

Chaos Shield yeah just delete everything with dash n toss.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Chaos shield makes everything else in the game feel bad. It's why I have 20 heat with one weapon and 4 with the rest.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I felt that way for a while, but you can get some insane damage on the sword

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Full Artemis Nemesis Sword: Oh, You Mean My Basic Attack Can Be Busted?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So, hey, guess who learned that if you turn a Satyr with Aphrodite's call when you were poisoned by it, poison ticks go from 3 every half second to 30?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Krazyface posted:

I felt that way for a while, but you can get some insane damage on the sword

I don't like the sword but there is no run where poo poo died quicker than one where I was hitting for like 1.2k every time I light attacked with it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I feel like Poseidon gets a bad rap but a full Poseidon build can actually get super powerful. Being able to effortlessly clear out Elysium is really nice

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Poseidon stuff can be funny. I got the knockback on attack boon and the bonus explosion on wall slams, but my weapon was the bow with the double shot upgrade.

I think both knockbacks proc consecutively so you shoot an enemy and it suddenly moonwalks across the entire screen and explodes repeatedly.

Especially funny in the temple ofc

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do the bow hammer upgrades feel more powerful than the ones for other weapons? Explosive shot, double shot, and extra special hits (for certain builds) all feel really strong. Meanwhile all the sword upgrades feel anemic. Sure they can push an already powerful build even further but none of them feel good on their own. Meanwhile the bow doubles or triples in damage as soon as you pick up your first hammer.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

bamhand posted:

Do the bow hammer upgrades feel more powerful than the ones for other weapons? Explosive shot, double shot, and extra special hits (for certain builds) all feel really strong. Meanwhile all the sword upgrades feel anemic. Sure they can push an already powerful build even further but none of them feel good on their own. Meanwhile the bow doubles or triples in damage as soon as you pick up your first hammer.

Not a fan of Big Chop but most of them go well with the crit-special aspect

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Finally got the epic special speed from hermes with charon bow and my god, it's beautiful. Only got it in Styx, but daddy straight up melted :neckbeard:
Being offered the good old Dionysus/Aphrodite combo didn't hurt.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Samovar posted:

So, hey, guess who learned that if you turn a Satyr with Aphrodite's call when you were poisoned by it, poison ticks go from 3 every half second to 30?
Charm is bugged and enemies can hit you.

It is especially nasty because the way the game handles HP apparently Zagreus' damage/hp values are totally misaligned with the enemies'. So when an enemy gets charmed, the devs apply at least a 10x multiplier to their damage because otherwise they wouldn't damage enemies. And when the bug kicks in and you get hit by one you get gibbed, or in your case, 10x poisoned.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I finally made it past Hydra in a Hell Mode New Game run thanks to (Rare) Doom on Attack, Deflect Dash, and Merciful End. Got the common "+60% doom damage after 0.5 extra seconds" early in Elysium which goes great.

Ended up completely skewered by armored longspears and I really have no idea what to do about them with 1 dash, 1 cast, and no call. Maybe I should have tried to poseidon smash them into the wall somewhere, or just baited them through a trap to remove the armor.

Regardless I had died at Hydra like 10 times so I'm glad to get that milestone. I think I'm done until the next patch (in five whole days).

I haven't gotten the opportunity to check, does anyone know if you can use a trinket you receive during a first run? Only way to get Nectar is the Premium Vintage boon from Dionysus, but you can definitely gift it to a god. The only game I realized this I died before reaching the next transition room (the trinket box just isn't there in most new game runs).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just had a great run with the bow-- that form that lets you load Casts into it is kind of broken, it lets you combine two upgrade streams into one form of damage. By the end, I was loading seven casts, into a homing arrow that did double-damage on power-shots and extra damage on distant targets, with a 10% chance to crit. I also managed to pick up three extra dashes, plus blade-rifts on dashing. Also, the casts dislodged themselves after 3.5 seconds, and automatically returned to me. By the time I got to the hydra, I could three-shot each head. By the time I got to dad, each septuple-cast shot knocked off like 15% of his health.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kaschei posted:

Ended up completely skewered by armored longspears and I really have no idea what to do about them with 1 dash, 1 cast, and no call. Maybe I should have tried to poseidon smash them into the wall somewhere, or just baited them through a trap to remove the armor.

Longspears stand still for awhile after they finish attacking, so you bait them and then wail on them and repeat. But you need to move way the hell far away cause of their range, so the timing is tricky

I just started my first Hell Mode game last night and didn't even remember that 2 dashes was an upgrade. Oof. Still fun relearning how much of a difference all of the little upgrades make

kaschei posted:

I haven't gotten the opportunity to check, does anyone know if you can use a trinket you receive during a first run? Only way to get Nectar is the Premium Vintage boon from Dionysus, but you can definitely gift it to a god. The only game I realized this I died before reaching the next transition room (the trinket box just isn't there in most new game runs).

You can't equip a trinket without the trinket cabinet, and you won't have the trinket cabinet yet on your first run; that's an upgrade that you purchase

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Well, managed to beat the last boss second time around, so I reckon I might wait until the next update before playing again. Who do people reckon is going to be the last Olympian? I think Haephestos is the safe bet.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Demeter is all but confirmed.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Yeah the wheat & cornucopia make it hard to imagine anyone else.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm curious what the final weapon and aspects will be.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've been wondering if it's something ranged-ish. The three arms on the left-hand plinths are all (primarily) melee weapons, while on the right you have the Bow and the Rail plus the empty spot. But then again, it's hard to think of something whose gameplay wouldn't be broadly covered by the existing two ranged weapons already.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

MMAgCh posted:

I've been wondering if it's something ranged-ish. The three arms on the left-hand plinths are all (primarily) melee weapons, while on the right you have the Bow and the Rail plus the empty spot. But then again, it's hard to think of something whose gameplay wouldn't be broadly covered by the existing two ranged weapons already.

Throwing knives. Boomerang.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I want a big gently caress off axe like my good friend Asterius.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Does the Attack-Hits-Twice hammer-upgrade on the Shield proc Artemis's Seeking Arrows twice?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's the duelling pistols from Bastion

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Finally beat the game. I can crush wizard of legend every time and this one gave me a run for the money for 3 days.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Fun things I just realized:

You kind of do the reverse of a typical dungeon crawl, starting in the lowest depths of hell and finishing up by fighting rats and gaining treasure.

Your weapons are all under a pomegranate tree.

Edit: thing I've known for a while but just ran into again playing, Artemis commits the horrible error of being horny on main.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah the wheat & cornucopia make it hard to imagine anyone else.

Fair dos. Didn't know that picture existed. Also she's the mother of Persephone .