Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Borrovan posted:

I know the people behind the Couriers' Network in South Wales, it isn't IWGB, they're not active here at all. In fact, IWW did most of the organising in London, too - IWGB just do all the court stuff & have better media contacts. I'll email you tomorrow evening, I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

I've been meaning to get round to replying to your last email anyway, hope you're doing well :)

Great thanks (to both parts LOL)

91 = 7 x 13 = number of days in 13 weeks and the country dialling code for India.

Catte tax:

Cat and Owl play together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqmba7npY8g

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What is actually happening with the Lib-dems at the moment? Are they doing anything now that remain has died a death because they were terminally short sighted?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

What is actually happening with the Lib-dems at the moment? Are they doing anything now that remain has died a death because they were terminally short sighted?

Having a leadership contest apparently.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Josef bugman posted:

I'm sure they'll rock up with a terminally-ego-inflated nobody who will get more press attention than god whilst calling whoever wins the Labour one an irrelevant antisemite. Probably Chuka.

(Did Chuka actually keep his seat I genuinely cannot be hosed to check)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lmao

https://twitter.com/coyotetrips/status/1218197418707210243?s=19

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
They’re currently all looking at one another, looking at Chuka, realising they’ve been had and are starting to pick up the pitchforks

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm sure they'll rock up with a terminally-ego-inflated nobody who will get more press attention than god whilst calling whoever wins the Labour one an irrelevant antisemite. Probably Chuka.

(Did Chuka actually keep his seat I genuinely cannot be hosed to check)

I'm pretty sure he got beaten

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There's no contest, it's going to be Ed Davey just because he's the only Lib Dem MP who has the qualities of not having previously been leader and actually having substantial experience in the Commons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Someone named as if a cursed golem was created from the 2015 election is the perfect Lib Dem leader for the current cycle.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
To be fair, Alistair Carmichael also has the two qualities of substantial commons experience and having not leaded the Lib Dems, but his seat is volatile enough to see a repeat of Jo Swinson's downfall.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Apparently 5 of their 11 MPs are considering running including one of 2019 intake which would certainly be interesting.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

To be fair, Alistair Carmichael also has the two qualities of substantial commons experience and having not leaded the Lib Dems, but his seat is volatile enough to see a repeat of Jo Swinson's downfall.

Nah, no way the Libs lose Orkney and Shetland. It'd be like Labour losing Islington North or Tories losing Witney.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I’m going to miss Jo Swinson’s Liberal Democrats

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm going to miss tight parliaments and interesting votes. The chamber just isn't worth watching now as it's mostly going to be a procedural matter with occasional opposition voices screaming into the void.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, no way the Libs lose Orkney and Shetland. It'd be like Labour losing Islington North or Tories losing Witney.

Looking at the swing from the past two elections it looks like people are bleeding out from the Labour ship to boost the SNP. I think that 2k gap is doable.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I genuinely didn't know if Chuka (my phone autocorrected his name to "China") was still an MP, and was amused to find that apparently he isn't.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I only know that he lost because we were desperate for good news on the stream that morning.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Payndz posted:

I genuinely didn't know if Chuka (my phone autocorrected his name to "China") was still an MP, and was amused to find that apparently he isn't.

He's probably still running for Lib Dem leader though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Language/being needlessly cruel to our non native readers time:

Whereabouts in the world would you be likely to find a sleeping policeman?

In the middle of the road, because it's a word for speed humps.

It occurs to me I haven't heard anyone use it since I was a kid and wondered how regionally widespread it was.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Looking at the swing from the past two elections it looks like people are bleeding out from the Labour ship to boost the SNP. I think that 2k gap is doable.

Yeah but the electorate for the seat is about half that of most seats so 2000 there is more like 4000 majority else where. Nats support will level out at no more than 40%. If the Nats support does grow to those levels then voters of other Unionist parties will vote for Carmichael. Way of the world up there unfortunately.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It occurs to me I haven't heard anyone use it since I was a kid and wondered how regionally widespread it was.

Under the wheels of my car because ACAB.

And yeah, I've not actually heard someone refer to them as sleeping policemen in probably 2 decades.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That was the other thing that occured to me because in hindsight it's a suspiciously provocative phrase :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I remember that. In general and also in context that the best weapon against a sleeping policeman is good leaf springs.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

Cambridgeshire in my youth, anyway. But there are so many more speed humps now, giving them all five syllables would be onerous.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I forgot about this.

I love it when people just respond to him earnestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIM1_xOSro

Jippa fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 19, 2020

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm skipping a few pages but wanted to post that imo the recent Sanders Warren smear thing is a good example of how to fight the press- just deny it, don't give an inch, always say the correct thing, never apologise for something you didn't do.

I got sick of Corbyn apologising for poo poo. If he just said "there is no problem with antisemitism in the leadership" what are you gonna do? You can only repeat the initial slur instead of going "ah hah! He apologised! That means we were right".

Apologising never works, it's not going to convince people who weren't labour voters to begin with, and it will only grant enough credence to the smears that it will push away fence sitters.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/GuillotineMedia/status/1218500286299496449?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Good thread by Shaun Lawson addressing the BoD:

https://twitter.com/shaunjlawson/status/1218662158038380544?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

how desperate must you be to escape your family that you're gonna pay them a 2 million exit fee and flee to canada. what kind of occult abyss could you have stumbled upon. dark vibes, psyonic horrors in ascendence, so forth. thank god harry and meg have made it out alive (for now).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bleedin' immigrants leaving the country. :argh:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So, question about Harry and Meghan leaving the Royal Family (or as I like to call it, Rexit):

Am I going insane or was there a BBC miniseries about Charles becoming King in which Harry leaving the royal family because he fell in love with a black woman one of the important B-plots?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Coohoolin posted:

I'm skipping a few pages but wanted to post that imo the recent Sanders Warren smear thing is a good example of how to fight the press- just deny it, don't give an inch, always say the correct thing, never apologise for something you didn't do.

I got sick of Corbyn apologising for poo poo. If he just said "there is no problem with antisemitism in the leadership" what are you gonna do? You can only repeat the initial slur instead of going "ah hah! He apologised! That means we were right".

Apologising never works, it's not going to convince people who weren't labour voters to begin with, and it will only grant enough credence to the smears that it will push away fence sitters.

Yeah, think about how much apologising and soul searching Labour has done over the last few years and it's not made a blind bit of difference. The people making the attacks just regard it as weakness and double down. It's a failed strategy and the thing that makes me most nervous about all of the candidates in the leadership election is that apparently they're just going to continue with more of the same.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1218476137485082624?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It's pretty widespread. Apparently it's Jamaican in origin, and I remember a lot of standups in the late 80s had jokes based around it (to varying degrees of racism, cos it was still 80s standup), which probably explains why it's so widespread.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I don't know how that Shaun Lawson guy manages to fluctuate between really solid bloke and turbo melt but he manages it.

Ever time I remember that CJ off of eggheads murdered a man in Amsterdam I lmao

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PaulbernalUK/status/1218814641633140736

He's been on holiday for a full month and running away from responsibility for most of it. Time to say he's fine, actually. I loving hate the Guardian.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Johnson is definitely the kind of person who runs his Christmas/new year bender into the last week in January.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't know how that Shaun Lawson guy manages to fluctuate between really solid bloke and turbo melt but he manages it.

Ever time I remember that CJ off of eggheads murdered a man in Amsterdam I lmao

He didn't but it's funny to think that for years he thought he had

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

crispix posted:

Johnson is definitely the kind of person who runs his Christmas/new year bender into the last week in January.

Tbf I'd do the same if I could get away with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1218716722141724672?s=19