Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

i still get shengjianbao from that place in ikebukero every time im nearby cuz shengjianbao rule

shengjianbao owns if you can get good shengjianbao

the mapo tofu place sounds hilariously bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Kill All Cops posted:

Sounds about right, Japan really loves their Ketchup and Mayo on everything

Nah mapodoufu is an established dish which had a big boom a number of years ago and that’s absolutely out of the norm.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

LimburgLimbo posted:

Nah mapodoufu is an established dish which had a big boom a number of years ago and that’s absolutely out of the norm.

I just had it for lunch lol

I just meant that I understand a Japanese Szechuan fusion place using tomato sauce for the mapo tofu sauce since they love ketchup on omurice

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 9, 2020

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kill All Cops posted:

I just meant that I understand a Japanese Szechuan fusion place using tomato sauce for the mapo tofu sauce since they love ketchup on omurice

well, actually,

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Kill All Cops posted:

Yeah I was also tempted to say I can imagine it being used if some place is trying to be “creative” but that’s distinct from just loving it up as they tried faithfully to replicate a dish. A lot of small izakaya, for example, often try to mix up dishes like that to varying degrees of success imo.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

LimburgLimbo posted:

A lot of small izakaya, for example, often try to mix up dishes like that to varying degrees of success imo.

Drunks make the best guinea pigs

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

I'm going to be working at the Olympics so don't anybody expect to visit me in Ehime this summer.

I hope it's a good experience :peanut:
Also that no one there has a peanut allergy :ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

Can we just have clean public bathrooms in the US like in Japan? Please????

Edit: streets too, but mainly the bathrooms here are so gross

Is it considered "normal" to just throw things out the window along major roads in the US? Last time I was there I saw more trash on the road while going from the airport to the hotel than I do in years back home.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Normal? No. Do assholes do it all the time? Yes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A long shot, but has anyone tried the Vladivostok-Sakaiminato ferry? Is it reliable? My partner and I are doing the trans-Siberian express later this year for our first foreign holiday in forever, and I've managed to convince her that we need another Japan trip afterwards.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ntan1 posted:

owned.

Yeah I havent been there lately cause I've been fixing my house.

How lovely is the chinese food in Japan, because last I checked it was still complete utter garbage.

As our last meal in Japan we went to a Chinese place and I expected it to be some sort of unique Japanese twist on Chinese food but it was just kinda mediocre. Disappointing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

Normal? No. Do assholes do it all the time? Yes.

Ah, thanks

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bofast posted:

Ah, thanks

It's pretty rare though. I honestly can't remember ever seeing it happen. Roadsides don't really get cleaned up though, so it doesn't take many people doing it for poo poo to build up.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
They do get cleaned up usually by prison labor, at least in CA.

But more often the roadside is full of debris from crashes previously on the highway.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

A long shot, but has anyone tried the Vladivostok-Sakaiminato ferry? Is it reliable? My partner and I are doing the trans-Siberian express later this year for our first foreign holiday in forever, and I've managed to convince her that we need another Japan trip afterwards.

Nope but there are also flights Vladivostok-Sapporo now.
Trans-Siberian Express sounds cool and good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

They do get cleaned up usually by prison labor, at least in CA.

But more often the roadside is full of debris from crashes previously on the highway.

Look out at the pile of cigarette butts to the left of the travel lanes next time you pull up to a stoplight. I have never seen a cigarette smoker do anything besides just throw their butt on the ground when they’re done regardless of where they are.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

mmm11105 posted:

Anyone have opinions on Aomori or Yamagata for visiting. Want to do some of Tohoku on my next trip out, know I want to hit up Iwate, but still debating between starting in Aomori, renting a car and working my way down through Iwate, or starting in Sakata, then renting a car in Yamagata-shi and driving up over the mountains into Iwate.

Leaning towards Yamagata because there's a D&DEPARTMENT Travel guide for Yamagata and I find their recommendation super good, plus it gives me an extra day or two to recover from jet lag before driving, but open to arguments for Aomori.

Just realized that during the time I intend to be in Tohoku (Sept 5-14th or so) the street jazz festival in Sendai is happening (12th and 13th). Big fan of Japanese jazz so I may have to try to route myself to be Sendai those days...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

peanut posted:

Nope but there are also flights Vladivostok-Sapporo now.
Trans-Siberian Express sounds cool and good.

Ah, that's good to know. It'll probably be cheaper too. Cheers!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

someone from this thread also showed me a "white" mapo tofu from japan, adervtised as suitable for kids, lol.

what's the thing about how kids can't eat spicy food in japan anyway? I've seen that a lot, and it's the only country I've seen it in.

here's a link to the shengjianbao place, it's right outside ikebukero station: https://goo.gl/maps/FJhtRcn33Y44rz5fA

the dude running it is from shanghai, so it's p legit.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

someone from this thread also showed me a "white" mapo tofu from japan, adervtised as suitable for kids, lol.

what's the thing about how kids can't eat spicy food in japan anyway? I've seen that a lot, and it's the only country I've seen it in.

here's a link to the shengjianbao place, it's right outside ikebukero station: https://goo.gl/maps/FJhtRcn33Y44rz5fA

the dude running it is from shanghai, so it's p legit.

A solid chunk of Japanese people in general put even white people to shame with their inability to handle the tiniest bit of heat.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

A solid chunk of Japanese people in general put even white people to shame with their inability to handle the tiniest bit of heat.

I know and it's not just Japan. In China it seems to be the closer you are the ocean the worse you are with spicy food (Shanghai, fujian, guangzhou are similar offenders) and HK + Taiwan are also p bad, while Korea talks a big game but isn't really there either in spicy food the way a lot of central China + SEA is.

I have a few HK and Shanghainese friends who put even the whitest people I know in the states to shame when it comes to avoiding anything resembling a spicy dish.

Even Sichuan itself isn't super spicy, and mapo tofu isn't actually spicy either which is what makes this all even more ridic. I wanna find out what happens when you bring a Japanese person to an authentic Hunan or Guizhou restaurant and see what happens cuz those are the dishes where everything is a scavenger hunt through chilies to find the actual food.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

LimburgLimbo posted:

Huh, weird, cause I've had decently spicy curry in Japan and do not even get me started on the one time I ordered "level 20" soup curry in Sapporo. It was so painful, but also so good

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Shout out to a "solid chunk of Japanese people in general".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut posted:

Furusato Matsuri Tokyo

Tokyo Dome January 10-19
Same-day tickets 1800 yen
Evening (4pm-9pm) tickets 1300 yen

Massive all-Japan showcase of regional festivals and food
JP https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/furusato/festival/
Eng http://furusatomatsuritokyo.com/ (less detailed)

My city's festival will be represented Jan 10-13, gooooo see it!
★新居浜太鼓祭り Niihama Taiko Matsuri★
1月10日(金曜日)12時20分~12時40分
1月10日(金曜日)17時10分~17時30分
1月11日(土曜日)11時30分~11時50分
1月11日(土曜日)スペシャルお祭りナイト(おおよそ19時30分~)
1月12日(日曜日)12時10分~12時30分
1月12日(日曜日)スペシャルお祭りナイト(おおよそ19時00分~)
1月13日(月曜日・祝日)12時10分~12時30分

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMHSWofNP74

bump

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xad posted:

Huh, weird, cause I've had decently spicy curry in Japan and do not even get me started on the one time I ordered "level 20" soup curry in Sapporo. It was so painful, but also so good

well that's why it was level 20 and not level 5!!!!

yeah in general Japanese food isn't super spicy. Beautifully presented yes, subtlety flavored, but not stupid spicy. And many of the restaurants cater for that by toning things down. You can still get that heat if you're looking for it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Xad posted:

Reminds me of when I had level 9 out of 10 curry at a shop in Osaka. Delicious, but took me six glasses of water to get down and even then everything burned.

Best curry I had in a long time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I used to sk for 40 at my local curry shop. Their scale went up to 20 /shrug

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Chinese food in Japan is also toned down for flavor.

It's why I've always thought American chinese food is still better than Japanese chinese food, despite neither of the two being anything close to real. The only exceptions are basically gyoza, nikuman, and ramen, which are basically Japanese food anyway.

For similar reasons, I'd wager you could probably get better South Korean food in the bay area, CA, but this claim is kind of pushing it because there's a supremely massive group of Korean people in JP.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

Yeah.

We've all had the opposite experience. It only happened to me once, ordering max spicy curry with the "heh, Japanese max spicy" thought in my head and then oh no, they were not loving kidding here.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone mentioned Chinese food. Any recommendations for a good char siu bao in central Tokyo or Osaka? I typically don't really like the taste of pork in nikuman so I don't want to just start ordering random nikuman in hopes that it's sweet bbq.

Let me rephrase that: I don't typically like the taste of pork in nikuman, it's been known to happen though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

Chinese food in Japan is also toned down for flavor.

It's why I've always thought American chinese food is still better than Japanese chinese food, despite neither of the two being anything close to real. The only exceptions are basically gyoza, nikuman, and ramen, which are basically Japanese food anyway.

NB, this doesn't apply to the Chinese food you can get in Chinese neighborhoods in Tokyo. You can get quite good Chinese food at places in Ikebukuro, Ueno, Kanda, Yokohama, and probably a lot more I just haven't been to. Not as good as in China, but exponentially better than standard issue Japanese or American Chinese food.

ntan1 posted:

For similar reasons, I'd wager you could probably get better South Korean food in the bay area, CA, but this claim is kind of pushing it because there's a supremely massive group of Korean people in JP.

Come to Shin-ookubo some time and find out!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

drat, Canadians love trashing roads and highways. I've witnessed so many people throw garbage out of their windows or just drop it on the street while they're walking. I've filled bags full of trash on hikes in the mountains. People up here are gross.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Picnic Princess posted:

drat, Canadians love trashing roads and highways. I've witnessed so many people throw garbage out of their windows or just drop it on the street while they're walking. I've filled bags full of trash on hikes in the mountains. People up here are gross.

For what it's worth, they do that in the inaka too. Get far enough from a city and it's like you're in lawless territory.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
What's the best time to visit between now and the Olympics? Bonus points if it's not terribly busy (ie China is not on national holiday). I would like to do some hikes along with exploring a few cities.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
There's almost never a bad time to visit Japan imo

China being on national holiday matters if you're going to the major sights in Kyoto or want to hit up certain shopping districts etc. but not so much otherwise. Things that are busy are going to be busy much of the time anyway.

Summer is hot and humid through much of Japan, if that bothers you. But depending on what kind of hike you're looking at it also means for higher hikes you don't need winter gear.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nohearum posted:

What's the best time to visit between now and the Olympics? Bonus points if it's not terribly busy (ie China is not on national holiday). I would like to do some hikes along with exploring a few cities.

Golden Week. Tokyo is a ghost town during those holidays because most people have the time off, and a lot use it to fly overseas.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Japan owns!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

The missus and I are in Japan for a few weeks late February. We've both done Tokyo a few times before, we've stayed in Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ueno, Asakusa, any other districts you guys could recommend staying in? I feel like Ginza and Roppongi are more places you visit than stay in but I'd love input. Also recs for out of the way places to see, we're gonna check out odaiba because neither of us have done that, but feel like we've exhausted most of the common touristy things and places.

Would also love some vague recs for stuff to do in Yokohama. We're mainly looking to relax/eat/drink and soak up some culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

field balm posted:

The missus and I are in Japan for a few weeks late February. We've both done Tokyo a few times before, we've stayed in Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ueno, Asakusa, any other districts you guys could recommend staying in? I feel like Ginza and Roppongi are more places you visit than stay in but I'd love input. Also recs for out of the way places to see, we're gonna check out odaiba because neither of us have done that, but feel like we've exhausted most of the common touristy things and places.

Would also love some vague recs for stuff to do in Yokohama. We're mainly looking to relax/eat/drink and soak up some culture.

I mean, there's always more to see/explore/do, but if you've done this a few times, don't you have ideas of what you want to do and where you want to stay? Novelty is one thing, but there's nothing wrong with staying in a familiar spot because you liked it.

Odaiba is a decent day, go check out TeamLab there if you can.

Yokohama - Red Brick area and Minato Mirai are good for wandering, there's plenty of nice stuff but it's also more waterfront than the nice parts of Tokyo, so that can be fun.