Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Went 0-2 in sealed before completely changing my deck ended up 5-3 feels good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I got to mill myself and win with Thassa's Oracle once, so I'm happy.

6-3, 6-3, 3-3 in the three sealed I did. Now to wait for drafts.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I have a fondness for any Animar card, even the unsettling art ones.

I haven't thought about Animar in so long that Temur Elementals in M20 came and went without me thinking of the original Temur Elemental.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, the 2 games I lost at pre-release was against someone who played Dream Trawler both games, that card is an absolute wrecking ball if you can't find a fast enough answer.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Gray Merchant is a really mean card

At least they learned and upgraded it to uncommon. Triple Theros drafts often had one person at the table with 3, sometimes 5 or 6 of them. It wasn't great.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Black devotion everywhere.

Also Nissa

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
[andrea mengucci voice] neesa

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Last night had a white deck with calyx and meh support, hung on 4-2-1 10th out of like 75. Smaller pod this morning only five rounds. Opened a mostly red pool and went into it with low enthusiasm with a rakdos agro strategy (if that exists in this format? Seems slower to me). Akroan war can really swing a board state if you have enough other creatures to close out. I had one game where I kept a one mulligan into a one land with a shadow spear and eventually stabilized at three life and took my opponent down from 41 with a shadowspear and a shepherd of nightmares. Feel good game of the morning. Went 4-1, only lost to the guy who won the event. Currently playing simic enchantments in another pre release. So far 2-1, enjoying a beer on my bye. I got thassa and that narcissus token generator out in a game, feel good play of the night.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Free pack of eldraine for my goon friends, please take only one.

4oJ-RRMi-wp4
fyU-fK2x-xfY
QqV-VX4e-FQB
9sG-9kk9-8FU
Fen-fiij-bB3

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hey thanks! I took the middle one.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Thank you Cactrot I got number 4

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Thanks! I took the first one

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

edit: I'm gay

Hauki
May 11, 2010

They all seem to be gone now, thanks anyway though

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Hauki posted:

They all seem to be gone now, thanks anyway though

Check your PMs

Hauki
May 11, 2010

berenzen posted:

Check your PMs

my man

a true, upstanding goon

really though, I appreciate it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dang, PR codes. I usually mooch those off a friend who does two events, but somehow my local store punted attendance and was cut to 72 kits for four events and he didn't feel up to risking the third being sold out. How does a store even manage to do that? He claims they "killed it by investing in Modern which wotc then murdered".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Apparently my local store got in poo poo for over ordering prerelease kits for throne of eldraine and got restricted on how many they could order this time around.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My LGS has been running pre-releases at 7 PM, midnight, noon, 2 PM starting Friday and going until tonight at seven, and last night the shop owner and this rich kid opened such terrible pools he was like “As a one time only if you opened up a pool and you think it sucks mad poo poo I’ll let you scrap it and rebuy a new pre-release pack and give everyone an extra 10 minutes to build their decks” and like 4 people did that. Some of these packs feel seeded very weirdly I watch the kids just rip three straight foil mythics from his sealed pool it was disgusting

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

ilmucche posted:

Apparently my local store got in poo poo for over ordering prerelease kits for throne of eldraine and got restricted on how many they could order this time around.

Wow, did you find the only store that doesn't make up pre-release events to avoid this?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Just played another ELD Quick Draft to turn some gems into gold and unlock my rewards for this season and 7/8 decks I faced were green (4x GW, 1 UG, 2 Mono-G). My own deck was a busted Mono-G with Great Henge, splashing blue for Oko that I went 7-1 with. Green is just wide open in everyone's draft it seems and while I know that the MTGA draft bots suck rear end, I still think it's crazy that after four months of this format they still haven't found a way to properly balance them. How people have the patience to "enjoy" thie Arena draft environment more than once per month is beyond me.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I did a prerelease and a draft with some friends from a booster box. The casual draft game took 2 hours before we just switched to our standard decks. Why the gently caress are there no normal cards in this set that dont require per turn calcuations

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

StabMasterArson posted:

I did a prerelease and a draft with some friends from a booster box. The casual draft game took 2 hours before we just switched to our standard decks. Why the gently caress are there no normal cards in this set that dont require per turn calcuations

What are "per turn calculations"? And are you saying that playing a game with your draft decks was taking everyone 2 hours to complete?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Aranan posted:

What are "per turn calculations"? And are you saying that playing a game with your draft decks was taking everyone 2 hours to complete?

Having to realise what mess of enchantments do what each turn or if someone plays another enchantment having to recalculate everything. It’s just so slow. Most people at prerelease kept forgetting about constellation because its just so annoying. And yes it did

e: theyre the slowest games of magic Ive ever played and building a deck out them seems awful because half the cards are sooo specific or just seem plain bad.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

WAR's passives made for a much more annoying limited format imho, at least as far as keeping track of stuff in paper goes.

We didn't miss constellation too often at prerelease, in my experience and the games were slow, but that's prereleases in general.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i havent played magic since girls started giving me the time of day but i came to this thread via the lepers colony and im getting old enough now that girls are less and less frequently giving me the time of day so maybe ill take up magic again

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i havent played magic since girls started giving me the time of day but i came to this thread via the lepers colony and im getting old enough now that girls are less and less frequently giving me the time of day so maybe ill take up magic again

Excellent, welcome

I on the other hand get more attention from girls now and also play more magic than ever before so maybe that’s the reason you don’t get attention. There is a strong correlation between being a spike and getting lots of attention from girls

Let us know how we can help you in this endeavor

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what is a spike

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what is a spike

They’re like the alphas of mtg everybody wants to date them and everybody wants to be them

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Spikes dunk on kids just getting into the game and then steal their moms.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Run while you still can.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

odiv posted:

WAR's passives made for a much more annoying limited format imho, at least as far as keeping track of stuff in paper goes.

We didn't miss constellation too often at prerelease, in my experience and the games were slow, but that's prereleases in general.

So you are upset with the format because cards do things, got it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

logis posted:

Re: Dream Trawler, and living the dream (en-route to 4-0 at the prerelease).

I was wayyyy ahead in game 1; I was on W/B at like 30 life / 1 creature / 4 cards in hand, opponent on U/W at like 5 life / no creature / 1 card in hand.

He plays some random creature, and I pacify it (with the *Apathy card, that allows you to pay 3 extra mana to exile the creature) so I can attack with my only creature. He then slams Dream Trawler the following turn, with one card remaining in his hand. I read the card, and think "Welp, I actually might lose this one".

He swings for a few turns, as I dont have an answer. Until....I draw Rise To Glory. After a quick discussion with the judge, I pass turn. He attacks again, and EOT I pay 3 to exile his other creature with the *Apathy pacifism. I untap, slam the Rise To Glory. Rise to Glory is 3WB and returns a creature and/or an Aura to the battlefield. I explain how I am targeting the *Apathy (and a random creature). He says "Hmm...Ok response. I'll play this spell that gives my guy hexproof (as opposed to just discarding a card)". I explain that doesnt work, the Aura is still attached, and he concedes!

Later, did the same trick to Tectonic Giant to avoid it's targeting trigger. Neat!

Help me out here, why would giving hexproof not protect the trawler?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
cardboard chads?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Eschatos posted:

You only have to target an Aura when you cast it as a spell. When you put an Aura on the battlefield without casting it, you just choose a valid permanent to attach it to as it enters. Hexproof only blocks targeting, so it doesn't protect the creature.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Eschatos posted:

It's a weird rules interaction where an aura coming back into play that isn't cast doesn't target, so it can be put on creatures with hexproof. It came up a bunch in an old standard with Geist of Saint Traft, Dead Weight, and Sun Titan, where the Titan trigger could return a Dead Weight and put it on an opponents hexproof Geist.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Did 2HG sealed yesterday and had a great time. I was pretty unhappy with my rares and felt a bit discouraged but it's a team format and my wife got two tectonic giants and klothys so I put together the most obnoxious W/G stall deck built around my only two playable picks: Bronzehide Lion and Shatter the Sky.

I got to wrath a full board in every game we played. Went 2-1, placed 4th. Our second match of the night, we had been struggling to keep up against a team running a monoblue tempo deck + G/W constellation. My wife had Anax out and a couple of at this point inconsequential creatures. The other team had out multiple flyers, and just as soon as the monoblue player got his 7th island out he drops Kiora Bests the Sea God, and his teammate, following his cue, drops her Nessian Boar. He sets his 8/8 hexproof token down and confidently declares: "It's Hexproof."

I'll add we had both been kinda mana screwed for most of this game and I had been sitting right at four mana. I had Shatter the Sky in my hand the whole game, and had drawn a Mystic Repeal two turns earlier. I did not have a good poker face when I top decked the forest I needed because my opponent took the time to remind me: "It's Hexproof".

I slapped down that forest, tucked his saga on the bottom of this deck, and then used Shatter the Sky to clear the board. Both of their best bombs in one shot. We had both been holding cards back for this moment, so my wife started just dropping creatures onto an empty board. She got out Klothys a few turns later and they scooped. This is a good team format I think, there's a few cards that are maybe a little too explosive (tectonic giant) but a well balanced team shouldn't have any trouble dealing with any specific bomb (none of our opponents did anyway) and the tools exist to punish your opponent severely for over-committing.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 19, 2020

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm loving this environment. I've turned so many beefed, double-enchanted monsters into useless fish.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So you are upset with the format because cards do things, got it.
Not at all, but yeah I could have worded that way better. I just found the tracking in WAR more annoying than the stuff to keep track of in paper in this set so far. The WAR prerelease was pretty bad for it. Both sets have been pretty drat good for limited overall so far though imo (though I haven't drafted this one yet).

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Marketing New Brain posted:

It's a weird rules interaction where an aura coming back into play that isn't cast doesn't target, so it can be put on creatures with hexproof. It came up a bunch in an old standard with Geist of Saint Traft, Dead Weight, and Sun Titan, where the Titan trigger could return a Dead Weight and put it on an opponents hexproof Geist.

Is there a reason this absurd corner case needs to exist or is it just whoever wrote the rules loving with people?