Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Lack of nice, solid guidelines when you're doing watercolour is scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I use Carbon Black ink in my brush pen, and it's working fine. It's very waterproof and doesn't bleed much on anything I've used it on.

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/platinum-carbon-black-60ml-bottled-ink

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I went with India Ink I had left over from Inktober and that does what I was looking for. However, I did order a bottle of the carbon black because I did not have enough art materials. Oh, I also bought a studio palette (John Pike's) and a few tubes of Daniel Smith and now I am broke. But I can make loverly things.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Lack of nice, solid guidelines when you're doing watercolour is scary.
But then you will get that there will be a subtle colored sheen over the black and sometimes I then feel the urge to go back and ink it again. Might as well do ink last. An example of this is left in the nectarine bottom left, you can see it when opening the pic in another tab and zooming.

#18 nectarine

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 18, 2020

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

But then you will get that there will be a subtle colored sheen over the black and sometimes I then feel the urge to go back and ink it again. Might as well do ink last. An example of this is left in the nectarine bottom left, you can see it when opening the pic in another tab and zooming.

Noooooo you don't just go over the lines! You stuff your face right close to the paper, bending until your back creaks, take a deep breath and then hold it to steady yourself while you move with painful precision inside the designated area, meticulously filling each spot with care.
I've just come to realize I may not have the most efficient way of working. Anyway, doing the ink last is also great if your ink has a high shine. I've got one ink that's got a lovely shine, which is rubbed matte when I erase pencil lines (boo!).

Nectarion.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 19, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Noooooo you don't just go over the lines! You stuff your face right close to the paper, bending until your back creaks, take a deep breath and then hold it to steady yourself while you move with painful precision inside the designated area, meticulously filling each spot with care.
I've just come to realize I may not have the most efficient way of working. Anyway, doing the ink last is also great if your ink has a high shine. I've got one ink that's got a lovely shine, which is rubbed matte when I erase pencil lines (boo!).

Nectarion.

I love this one, looks like it takes a pet like no problem at all.

I'm almost up-to-date, got to Relicanth yesterday.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Inktenses, with lines done with a dip pen. No pencils first, hence the couple of stray outlines.

Mis-numbered Relicanth.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

nectarines

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Decided to buy Procreate and an Apple Pencil yesterday for our iPad, it’s a hell of a lot of fun, but not what I’m used to. Did Phantump and then watched a few videos, redid it. The results are nothing special but with how versatile Procreate is, I think I might switch to it as my primary medium from now on.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The Halogens posted:

I think I might switch to it as my primary medium from now on.
:(
Know that I am envious of your effortless scribbly ink lines and working digital with it's cursed undo function will completely make that disappear. Will undo it, if you will.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Gonna be streaming art all day today, starting out with making some stickers (like in LINE, Signal, Telegram, etc.) and then possibly doing some pixel art animation. Ten hours of stream done, phew!

https://stream.shinmera.com / https://twitch.tv/shinmera

Results below.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 19, 2020

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Nice one, lofi!

#19 Drawnuary

Question: Does the below need a background? It will get some more linework and highlight but I am in doubt about the background

Keetron fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 19, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pretty sure I used the same reference picture as you, Keetron. Though I added a slice in front. Used my polyhcromos's for these.

Graphitint with some neon ink for the eyes. I picked up a set of 6 for £8 (rather than their RRP of £26+ ) a little while ago.

re: your chameleon, maybe a couple of big leaves, then vague greeness? Or just a sort of gradated wash going from the chamelon upwards.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Alright, my ten hour stream is over.

First I drew these twelve stickers for use in Signal/Telegram/LINE/whatever:

Feel free to add them to your messenger of choice if you like them. For Signal users, the pack is here:

https://signal.art/addstickers/#pac...61dc66dac539bcc

Then I did some more pixel art animation work for my game:

Specifically the last three animations in that.
Gonna have to do more of that soon, once I decide what the combat should look like!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

awesome

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

added a background, should have kept it lighter but I think with the shades in the chameleon itself the picture still has a nice flow to it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

added a background, should have kept it lighter but I think with the shades in the chameleon itself the picture still has a nice flow to it.

I like that. Guess if you wanted to mount it you'd cut the paper around the tail and put the mounting board under it.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

This is pretty rad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, I like that. Nice style.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Phanteon

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

poo poo, that's good.

Guess I should post my own thing too:

Originally I wanted to draw her holding the wolf head in some kind of embrace, but was too lazy to bother so plopped it on the ground. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out though.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Aww, thanks yall! I'm working on a big post-apoc project, good to get positive feedback on bits so early along.

The wolf/woman is hella cool, it looks like a book cover for a fairytale redone, a retelling of little red riding hood.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

The wolf/woman is hella cool, it looks like a book cover for a fairytale redone, a retelling of little red riding hood.
By Neil Gaiman or T. Kingfisher!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I want to thank Sharpest Crayon for hinting me towards ink and a simple brush. It is a lot of fun.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

All of these absolutely slap, even the pieces I didn't quote. I love this thread, there are so many different styles.

Keetron posted:

:(
Know that I am envious of your effortless scribbly ink lines and working digital with it's cursed undo function will completely make that disappear. Will undo it, if you will.

That's what my wife said, too. Based on my experience in the last few days those unsure scribbles have gone by the wayside. I'd like to add them back in as a stylistic choice once I have my fundamentals down. You might like my lime, though yours is far better!

Working ahead a bit.

Tried adding inking lines, then keeping the sketch ones in. The left side of the unlined one bugs the hell out of me and I should've fixed it, but was pressed for time.

I've been watching a bunch of tutorials and advice videos on Youtube. What I want to start doing next is practicing anatomy and character design, figure/gesture drawing, etc. Ideally I want to start "practicing perfectly"/being critical of myself so I can improve as much and as fast as possible. There seems to be a few ways of going about learning this. Some people say breaking down photos or professional pieces (drawing over them to map out the anatomy, then replicating it on your own, overlapping to see where and how you differ) works better for them than learning and practicing anatomy. What're the best practices? Art breakdowns seem too much like skipping steps. My end goal is to make a comic - I'm a big fan of Kill Six Billion Demons and how that art has evolved over time.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

I love how the white highlights pop against the full-on colours. I was gonna say as a by the way that Neil Gaiman already made his version of Little Red Riding Hood, but I was actually thinking of his Snow White. Hint: it's hosed up.

The Halogens posted:

Tried adding inking lines, then keeping the sketch ones in. The left side of the unlined one bugs the hell out of me and I should've fixed it, but was pressed for time.

If you don't want to lose all the definition you put in with your sketch lines, depending on the program you're using, find a way to turn your sketch layer a colour that matches what you're doing - in this case a reddish brown would work well, brown being great for pretty much everything organic. Do your flat colours under the sketch layer, then start colouring on top of both using semi-opaque or smudging brushes. This way even if you do end up covering most if not all of the sketch layer, you'll catch another tint in, making for a more interesting surface. You can still do lineart on top of this. Also you're dead-on, I can't even tell you how many times I've seen that bastard fruit in a packet of something and gone "peaches! my favourite, let me buy this delicious product" and then been disappointed to gently caress because it was apricot! gently caress! gently caress you apricot, you suck so hard!

I was Very Tired today so Limeon is a bit .. pitiful.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Good advice, thank you very much! I like having my cake and eating it too in regards to sketching.

Limeon is the cutest Eeveelution so far.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I am too lazy to quote the stuff that rules, which is everything. Lovely work everyone. :3:

I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy doing the line work for the Pokémon but not the colors, and the colors for the fruit but not the lines.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Back on the graphite train again. I guess this is my January prompt?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I also enjoy this artwork.

Here is my attempt at digitally fixing an old / lost painting. It didn't make it in the move to the east coast. Tried to make some logical color correction and a few other minor fixes.

Original here:

I may have lost too much color data but I wanted to emphasize the lighting and that half the composition was in shadow to begin with. Doesn't help that the original photographer tweaked so much in post. Hm. Not sure if I was too heavy handed.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 21, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

#21 Gastrodon

It was lighter and then I accidentally mixed in some blue and now he is kinda sad. Sort of.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

The dark, bold colors do a lot for it IMO.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Gastrodeon is only a lil bit Eevee on their mum's side of the family but they still claim all the cuteness perks.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

#22 Apricot

Can Sharpest Crayon please edit "peach" to "grape"? I would like to add some variety and yeah, I know they are small and round but it turns out most fruit is round so sue me.

I'll share my list for February next week.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

The Halogens posted:

The dark, bold colors do a lot for it IMO.

Yeah - I think I like the high contrast / dramatic lighting a lot more. You were talking about my painting right?

Gotta find the old reference somehow but I might try to do a digital painting pass in photoshop before printing it. Just not sure how well that will work given the difference in brush texture.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Keetron - all done. Yeah, doing this many fruit has really driven home that all fruit are just a variation of shiny colour-orb. It's no wonder those tide pods look so delicious.

Apricoteon got painted like one of your french girls.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Still not drawing quite as regularly as I want to be, but nonetheless I have produced a bounty of hands, the feet of the arms.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Keetron posted:

Can Sharpest Crayon please edit "peach" to "grape"?

Thank you so much, I wasn't looking forward to drawing a third barely-different stone fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Cradily, I would like to say the stupidest pokemon but according to the internet it is the female Mr Mime.

OTOH I like his goofiness

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Keetron - all done. Yeah, doing this many fruit has really driven home that all fruit are just a variation of shiny colour-orb. It's no wonder those tide pods look so delicious.
That is also a theme / project: drawing objects from your pantry but I would say that after a few tins of bean variations and boxes of cereals / pasta / flour one could grow sick of it as well.