Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´ve been hankering for a new ARPG, since Diablo 3 has gone a bit stale for me and I´ve had my eyes on Path of Exile but got intimidated by the atlas that is the skilltree and the giant amount of features in the game.

I recommend starting as a barbarian type dude and focusing on hitting hard just to get started. It plays really smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´ve been hankering for a new ARPG, since Diablo 3 has gone a bit stale for me and I´ve had my eyes on Path of Exile but got intimidated by the atlas that is the skilltree and the giant amount of features in the game.

Have you tried Grim Dawn yet?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Sylphosaurus posted:

Echoing Mordja here.

I couldn't stand PoE and I got more than my fill of D3, but Grim Dawn hit just the right note. It might be a good fit for you as well and if it is, there's a whole lot of content to check out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I was pretty obsessed with Grim Dawn for a while, it really is a great ARPG. It doesn't quite have the same legs as POE/D3 but it's not meant to be a games as a service game so it makes sense. Highly recommended if you're looking for a new ARPG to get into.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Grim Dawn is cool but I feel it's way too slow in terms of leveling.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirSamVimes posted:

What's a good podcast game? I've been working my way through the Critical Role backlog and I'd like something to occupy my hands and part of my brain while I'm listening. I've been mostly using Dead Cells, but I want to mix it up a bit.

Grim Dawn is great for podcasts. It threads the needle between Path of Exile's insane leveling system and Diablo 3's super streamlined gameplay. It's just a very solid game.

Also Spelunky, Monolith, Into the Breach, etc. Roguelikes are perfect for podcasts.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sylphosaurus posted:

come by the thread, join the guild, ask questions. we will get you rolling. its not as scary as it looks at first.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Playing the new Gemcraft that came out a week or so ago, pretty drat disappointed, I might see if I can still get a refund. It feels a lot clunkier, jankier, cheaply made, and just too many convoluted systems with talismans and poo poo like that. There's also a stupid amount of grind and things gated behind trials and poo poo. I seem to recall the previous Gemcraft being a lot more refined, polished, and simpler.

Anyone else playing it?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 18, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm playing it. I think it's an interesting evolution of the last one in that it's got the same skill system from that game but now explicitly tells you "there are challenge modes from moment one that you have to learn to play better in, no grind will save you" and the puzzle pieces are an interesting way to gently caress with build or specialize for stages?

The gameplay seems the same to me except much more in the vein of a mechanics puzzle because of the Trial stages and that is the kind of thing I wish more games did. I loving love them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sylphosaurus posted:

I understand that but it is actually possible to play the game casually. Hit up the official forums and find a build that's stated to be a 'league starter' or 'SSF friendly' or 'beginner friendly'. Or drop into the thread and ask for a super-easy beginner build. I'm a super-casual when it comes to Path of Exile, haven't ever finished the story part of the game, never trade with other players, and I have a blast.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

Playing the new Gemcraft that came out a week or so ago, pretty drat disappointed, I might see if I can still get a refund. It feels a lot clunkier, jankier, cheaply made, and just too many convoluted systems with talismans and poo poo like that. There's also a stupid amount of grind and things gated behind trials and poo poo. I seem to recall the previous Gemcraft being a lot more refined, polished, and simpler.

Anyone else playing it?

They are/have removing the trial requirement. There are rapid updates coming to the balance complaints. Ive just gotten back into the last one and am going to try again in a month.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm playing it. I think it's an interesting evolution of the last one in that it's got the same skill system from that game but now explicitly tells you "there are challenge modes from moment one that you have to learn to play better in, no grind will save you" and the puzzle pieces are an interesting way to gently caress with build or specialize for stages?

The gameplay seems the same to me except much more in the vein of a mechanics puzzle because of the Trial stages and that is the kind of thing I wish more games did. I loving love them.

I'm in the same boat here. While I appreciate getting more powerful as time goes on, TDs for me are about solving the puzzles and Trial mode does me solid here.

You could say it's a bit like Enter the Gungeon on release. If you don't relish the challenge, you might not have a good time here.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 19, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Are there any underlooked detail/complexity-dense games like Oxygen Not Included or Factorio? I'd love to get my dumbass science guy on, but I think I've played a lot of the games that scratch that particular itch. Stationeers looks kinda tempting, but apparently that's made by the DayZ guy who has basically never finished making a game in his life.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Can you recommend some $10-20 games that look really pretty at high resolution (1440 or 4k) on medium hardware?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

SirSamVimes posted:

What's a good podcast game? I've been working my way through the Critical Role backlog and I'd like something to occupy my hands and part of my brain while I'm listening. I've been mostly using Dead Cells, but I want to mix it up a bit.

Logistical.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SirSamVimes posted:

Gems of War is good but be ready to skip a lot of weird campaign stuff when you get started. Typically zero reading or listening required, though, so it does well with a podcast.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

If you turn off dialogue and music Borderlands 3 is good for podcasts, if you get it for cheap. Don't worry about the story, just click characters when it prompts you to.

Honestly, I've had enough fun with it (and I'm still playing) to get it for more than cheap, but then you'd be giving more money to Gearbox.

BL3 is a land of contrasts.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Are there any underlooked detail/complexity-dense games like Oxygen Not Included or Factorio? I'd love to get my dumbass science guy on, but I think I've played a lot of the games that scratch that particular itch. Stationeers looks kinda tempting, but apparently that's made by the DayZ guy who has basically never finished making a game in his life.

If you can wait a bit longer, Satisfactory should be back on Steam in like 2 months once the Epic exclusivity runs out.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 19, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Tamba posted:

If you can wait a bit longer, Satisfactory should be back on Syeam in like 2 months once the Epic exclusivity runs out.

Oh rad! Yeah, that's definitely worth waiting for.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

welp my backlog issues are much worse now. Now instead of playing endless timesink games I'm just watching https://www.twitch.tv/fftbattleground :|

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Can you recommend some $10-20 games that look really pretty at high resolution (1440 or 4k) on medium hardware?

i remember when the ps4 came out the trine devs said they could get 2 running at 4k on that hardware if it was allowed so maybe try one of those games. they look pretty nice.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I understand that but it is actually possible to play the game casually. Hit up the official forums and find a build that's stated to be a 'league starter' or 'SSF friendly' or 'beginner friendly'. Or drop into the thread and ask for a super-easy beginner build. I'm a super-casual when it comes to Path of Exile, haven't ever finished the story part of the game, never trade with other players, and I have a blast.

Quill posted:

Echoing Mordja here.

I couldn't stand PoE and I got more than my fill of D3, but Grim Dawn hit just the right note. It might be a good fit for you as well and if it is, there's a whole lot of content to check out.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I recommend starting as a barbarian type dude and focusing on hitting hard just to get started. It plays really smoothly.

Mordja posted:

Have you tried Grim Dawn yet?
Thanks for the tips everyone. Apparently I had Grim Dawn in my Steam library, so I´ll install both games and try them out.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Witcher 3 is one of the prettiest/greatest games made and runs surprisingly well on all kinds of systems. 4K is tough even on very good systems though.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

what is "medium hardware"? At least let us know GPU and CPU.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I can recommend Hades as a good podcast game, though it can be a bit too intense to fully zone out of.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SirSamVimes posted:

I suppose I could recommend Dicey Dungeons for this, but then you wouldn't be listening to the bumpin music, and that's sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHKaBM54IU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive is £15 and pretty as hell.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

haldolium posted:

what is "medium hardware"? At least let us know GPU and CPU.

Yeah, you're right. Ryzen 5 2400G with a GTX 1060 and an SSD. It runs GTA V around 50 fps on 4K, which does look pretty nice.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Also recommending Grim Dawn if you're looking for an ARPG fix. Also try Titan Quest since it's made by the same guys.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, you're right. Ryzen 5 2400G with a GTX 1060 and an SSD. It runs GTA V around 50 fps on 4K, which does look pretty nice.

sounds good for a lot of still good looking games.

ABZU, Darksiders DE and 3, Dear Esther, Inside, Dishonored, Divinity Original Sins 2, Doom (2016), Dying Light, Everspace, FAR Lone Sails, GRIS, Shadow Warrior 1/2, Hard Reset, Hellblade, KONA, Mad Max, Metro 2033/LL redux, ORI, RIME, Risen Ruiner, STALKER CoP/SoC (+mods), Sleeping Dogs DE, Tokyo 42, Transistor, Trine 2/3, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, The Witness.

I haven't checked prices, but those should run all at 2k at least, maybe with a few options not at max. Some should run in 4k. 2D titles like GRIS or INSIDE look gorgous but are not very resource demanding.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Ground Zeroes/MGSV should fit the bill, the engine is built on rainbows and dreams, runs at max on a loving toaster and looks amazing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

wafflemoose posted:

Also recommending Grim Dawn if you're looking for an ARPG fix. Also try Titan Quest since it's made by the same guys.
It's practically the same game, really. Same engine, same basic game mechanics, same general gameplay, just less colorful and interesting. I would recommend just going straight to Grim Dawn and sticking with it. Titan Quest is not a bad game, but it's honestly way too big and kind of samey. Grim Dawn does everything Titan Quest does, but better in a 2.0 kind of way.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

If you want to try something a little less science-y and a little more production/logistics I've really enjoyed Factory Town. You start off ordering little peg people around to chop trees and such, but quickly build up a network of roads, chutes, conveyors, and eventually magical conduits to gather, craft, and shuttle goods around your growing town. It's fairly low stress (no invading bugs or anything like that) but has a lot of systems and logistic problems to chew on and make complicated conveyor solutions for. It's technically still in EA, but seems mostly feature complete at this point, and the dude developing it has been releasing patches and consistently improving the game at a steady clip. I'd suggest giving it a look.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

SirSamVimes posted:

i actually play a lot of GTA online while listening to podcasts.
not actively doing heists or anything like that. just driving around, fiddling with car paint jobs and the like, wandering around and exploring, etc.

it can be really fun and chill when you ignore the majority of the game aspects :V

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, GSync is nice, but man I'm feeling that 32-42 avg fps in RDR2 pretty hard and I start getting starry eyed thinking about a card that could run it at a stable 60.

Speaking as someone foolish enough to have spent money on a GSync monitor and a 2080ti, I can assure you, RDR2 still does not run at a stable 60.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ground Zeroes/MGSV should fit the bill, the engine is built on rainbows and dreams, runs at max on a loving toaster and looks amazing.

I maxed that out on an Alienware Alpha from 2014, that game is freakishly well optimized.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gomi Day posted:

i actually play a lot of GTA online while listening to podcasts.
not actively doing heists or anything like that. just driving around, fiddling with car paint jobs and the like, wandering around and exploring, etc.

it can be really fun and chill when you ignore the majority of the game aspects :V

Can you turn off the map and the radar and stuff in 5? I did that in 4 on a suggestion, as much of the UI gone as possible, and it really made it a different game. You look around a hell of a lot more because you have to actually be able to find your way around, and you start to learn the city and see all the little details put into the environment, instead of it just being background scenery while you watch a line on a map

As far as the missions go it's mostly good too, you have to take care and watch for baddies instead of just clearing dots on a map, but you can tell it wasn't exactly designed to play like that - chases can get a little rough sometimes. But it's definitely a better way to see the world, so if you're just chillin give it a try!

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

baka kaba posted:

Can you turn off the map and the radar and stuff in 5? I did that in 4 on a suggestion, as much of the UI gone as possible, and it really made it a different game. You look around a hell of a lot more because you have to actually be able to find your way around, and you start to learn the city and see all the little details put into the environment, instead of it just being background scenery while you watch a line on a map

As far as the missions go it's mostly good too, you have to take care and watch for baddies instead of just clearing dots on a map, but you can tell it wasn't exactly designed to play like that - chases can get a little rough sometimes. But it's definitely a better way to see the world, so if you're just chillin give it a try!

i think doing that requires mods, which is a quick trip to bantown.

EDIT: my mistake. you can totally turn the minimap and HUD off under the display menu.

Gomi Day fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 19, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

oh yeah? weird, they were just basic options settings in 4. I know people do their own mods for a better experience though, like I said it wasn't perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm almost certain - though I am not reinstalling 156GB to be sure - that you can disable most of or all of the HUD in 5. The non-graphical options menus are fairly deep, especially compared to say RDR2.