Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think you still gotta buy it physical with everyone else in Japan

Also that scan rush looks horrible, like if you asked fake-robin to translate a ponegliff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Onmi posted:

The only person who I expect to not read the official release is my friend who lives in Belgium. Because the official app is blocked there, and so he can't read anything. so I give him the hook up when I can, like a proper friend.

Mangaplus is accessible in Belgium at least, although their lack of an RSS feed annoys me too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hell astro course posted:

I feel like if I have to pay a subscription to read one piece, I'd rather read it in japanese... is it possible to do a digital Shonen Jump Japanese subscription?

You don't have to pay anything for the newest official chapters, they're now uploaded for free to Viz's website (in the US, at least). You just have to pay for the backlog, which is still just a few bucks a month and includes the rest of the jump catalog.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

If there's a translation out there, I will read it. For the thread I'm fine with considering these 'spoilers' and not fully discussing new chapters until Sunday releases.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

hell astro course posted:

I feel like if I have to pay a subscription to read one piece, I'd rather read it in japanese... is it possible to do a digital Shonen Jump Japanese subscription?

Like Julias said; the most recent three chapters are always free on the Viz site and it has been that way for a couple years now.

The subscription is totally worth the price though, tens of thousands of chapters with competent, consistent translations and better image quality.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
2 bux a month to catch up to op and read dragon ball has been super worth it.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

2 bux a month to catch up to op and read dragon ball has been super worth it.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

read dragon ball.

Oh gently caress yes. I'm picking this up now. I read up to vol. 11 and never saw how the Tien fight ended.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Anyone have that Wutang edit of Robin deflecting Diamante's sword (I think)? I got my buddy into One Piece and he's just finished reading the Dressrosa arc

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Reiche posted:

Anyone have that Wutang edit of Robin deflecting Diamante's sword (I think)? I got my buddy into One Piece and he's just finished reading the Dressrosa arc

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Awww yiss that's the stuff. Thank you!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Is One Piece Stampede worth watching or is is the usual movie shovelware?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Parrotine posted:

Is One Piece Stampede worth watching or is is the usual movie shovelware?

It was pretty good, actually. Could have used some more fights, tbh. They kind of stuff in all the characters from always so there's not much room for disposable dicks for Sanji and Zoro to fight, instead you get them kind of tensely clashing with named figures to no real end.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sub Harrison posted:

Oh gently caress yes. I'm picking this up now. I read up to vol. 11 and never saw how the Tien fight ended.

goku wins

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's really bad that despite how many enemies there were in Dressrosa Robin did not get a proper fight.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Stampede is great. Hancock does a cool thing. Usopp does a cool thing. Mihawk pulls a really funny move. The ending was fantastic. Light on the plot, but heavier on the spectacle.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
As far as I'm concerned, this chapter pretty much confirmed the old theory that Raftel is under reverse mountain, and the end of the series will involve using "Poseidon" to somehow destroy reverse mountain and create an "All Blue" where all four seas meet. The reveals and the direction they're going in synch up with that stuff pretty much perfectly.

Is Crocus waiting at the entrance to Raftel? Is Raftel just under reverse mountain in the same way as Fishman Island is under Mariejois?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

I'm crying, too

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006176

Two Sovereigns? I wonder if Uranus is the other Sovereign

Kild fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 19, 2020

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Kild posted:

I'm guessing that Luffy is the other sovereign, and a reincarnation of Joyboy. Maybe him meeting Shirahoshi was more significant than we thought.

The other sovereign could also be Vivi.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The ugly translation was pretty accurate

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kild posted:

"Oh no, I forgot!! This guy's CRAZY!!"

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Crasical posted:

Lmao.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I'm guessing that Luffy is the other sovereign, and a reincarnation of Joyboy. Maybe him meeting Shirahoshi was more significant than we thought.

Luffy being joyboy's reincarnation was my thought too but Vivi makes sense too. Especially with literally being a sovereign of a distant sea, how the 2 bonded, and how attention is being brought back to Alabasta after the incident that was relayed from Garp to Neptune.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Viridiant posted:

I don't think it's Luffy, since the will of D seems to be pretty well spread out and numerous. Vivi also seems questionable since she's already linked to Pluton. Also, aren't both of them older than Shirahoshi? The other child should be like 11 or 13 shouldn't they?

How old is Makino's kid now?

Crasical posted:

Seems like a good thread title.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So, probably two chapters of the flashback still to go? It's been great, and I'll miss Oden, but I have never been so ready to see a pair of villains get wrecked.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shirahoshi's 16 so they'd be around that age. Coby...?

e: Cobys 18 wtf?

It's probably just Luffy

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's really bad that despite how many enemies there were in Dressrosa Robin did not get a proper fight.

Robin vs Diamante would have been great. Presumably she wouldn't be able to just break his neck or choke him out like everyone else.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The fight with Kaido is gonna be great but Orochi finally getting put down is what I'm really looking forward to.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, probably two chapters of the flashback still to go? It's been great, and I'll miss Oden, but I have never been so ready to see a pair of villains get wrecked.

Could be about 3: Next chapter Oden does a thing to Orochi/Kaido comes into play, chapter after that is a montage dealing with the fallout while building to the last stand, chapter to send us out will be the last stand leading back to the present and the strawhat cavalry arrives leading us out of Act 3

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

rannum posted:

Could be about 3: Next chapter Oden does a thing to Orochi/Kaido comes into play, chapter after that is a montage dealing with the fallout while building to the last stand, chapter to send us out will be the last stand leading back to the present and the strawhat cavalry arrives leading us out of Act 3

please let Franky have built a giant samurai themed robot that has been hidden as a house up til now

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Crasical posted:

this + 'i wish i had game!' are my reasons to appreciate stephen paul this week

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

please let Franky have built a giant samurai themed robot that has been hidden as a house up til now

nobotnaga

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I liked Roger’s totally wrong prediction that Ace would become the Pirate King. Good to be reminded that he’s not infallible.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
At this point the mystery I'm most interested in is the relationship between Roger and Shanks, and how much Roger knew about the history before reaching the final island. I think it's a reasonable assumption that he was expecting to find something that would change the fate of the world, because in his first meeting with Rayleigh he talked about "turning the world upside down". There is also obviously something significant about him handing down his straw hat to Shanks, who would later hand it down to Luffy. It seems likely that Roger was aware of the hat being an important symbol of something, even if he didn't know about BIG HAT, and for whatever reason had chosen Shanks to carry on that symbol. The fact that Shanks asks him something and the answer makes him cry could indicate that Roger learned the true meaning of the hat from Laugh Tale, and that Shanks is somehow NOT the right one to carry it. At this point my theory is that Roger told Shanks part of the truth, i.e. that Joy Boy's successor would appear, and Shanks gambled on Luffy being the one because of his resemblance to Roger (and himself, like he said way back in the beginning of the series).

Couple more tidbits that I remembered and went back to check:

- part of the Poseidon legend as told by Otohime in chapter 626 is that one day a man would appear who would teach Shirahoshi how to control her power. In that panel is a silhouette of a man that somewhat resembles Shanks, whose other arm is conspicuously out of sight. Half foreshadowing, half red herring?

- when leaving Fishman Island for the New World, the strawhats encounter a school of whales that look like Laboon (chap. 654). They offer them a ride to the surface, after they hear Brook singing Binks' Sake. In the latest chapter, when the sea monsters communicate, they say that "the whales are delighted in anticipation". The Laboon-like whales and Binks' Sake are almost certainly connected to the whole Joy Boy story somehow - we saw Roger's crew sing the song and Brook's crew knew it as well, so it has definitely been around for a while.

God I love OP. It's so rewarding to remember these tiny details and speculate where it's all gonna go. Definitely starting to feel like Oda is starting to winding things up and it's all starting to add together.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So how many new islands do ya'll expect there'll be between now and Laugh Tale? I'm thinking two or three: Elbaph, Lodestar Island, and maybe a third wildcard island.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if we don't go to elbaf i'm going to beat oda up

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Star Platinum posted:

- part of the Poseidon legend as told by Otohime in chapter 626 is that one day a man would appear who would teach Shirahoshi how to control her power. In that panel is a silhouette of a man that somewhat resembles Shanks, whose other arm is conspicuously out of sight. Half foreshadowing, half red herring?
Oh this is a great catch, I forgot about this entirely

I guess it being Shanks specifically would kind of depend on if you read the Neptunian's anticipation as "and the other will also be born" or just "the other is out there already, we cannot wait for our king to meet them"

also forgot that Neptune is the only one who can speak with Whales. I don't think that's relevant to anything just thought it was a neat detail.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Star Platinum posted:

Half Red-Hairing.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Viridiant posted:

Half Red-Hairing.

Red Herringed Shanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That looks more like a lady in a robe than Shanks to me. Short hair and a cloak like Vivi's Alabasta brown travel cloak.

Or maybe one the Akatski come looking for Boroto's dad.