Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Desdinova posted:

It happened to me too a few times, temporarily worked unplugging the USB and display ports then replugging them, got in touch with Oculus Support and they said delete all the files in C:\Users\Username\Appdata\ , \Appdata\Local\ and the rest then delete the Oculus software and reinstall, so far it's working *touches head as wooden object*

Thanks, tried this and still headset works for maybe a minute and crashes. Bunch of static in the speakers, guessing cable is bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

XtraSmiley posted:

I haven't been tracking this thread or PC VR, are we close to 3rd gen headsets yet, or still a year or two out?
I doubt Valve is going to come out with Index II anytime soon, it’s high spec enough as it is. It’s peak gen1, where I define that to be VR in the sense of Vive and Rift.

IMO Quest is gen1.5 since it’s mobile, has Link, and the hand tracking is nascent, but it doesn’t have eye tracking, pancake lenses, or digital varifocal.

What I would want to call gen2 is something with all of those plus hybrid PC/Mobile. I don’t think that’s coming this year, maybe next. If there is a device this year it’s probably a spec bump. Chipsets good enough for more than that (IMO) are too new at the moment.

gen3 IMO will not be VR (or not exclusively) but AR/MR.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

XtraSmiley posted:

I haven't been tracking this thread or PC VR, are we close to 3rd gen headsets yet, or still a year or two out?

I would say the latter. The Index is still pretty new (and still expensive), and it's possible Oculus won't ever release an exclusive PC headset, just a Quest 2 with pc connectivity included from release day (and I believe we won't have a second version for a pair of years).

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
It’s silly to be holding out for “gen3” VR if you are looking for high quality.
The Index is out and it’s going to be the highest quality VR headset on the market for ~3 years (probably when we will see a new VR headset worth talking about) in all of the consideration factors you would make for comparisons.
The only headset comparable in visual quality is the Rift S but it’s a fairly distant second. Lower refresh rate (80 vs 144), a much more narrow fov and a fixed IPD are all huge detractors.
Then you factor in the garbage halo vs the super premium and super comfortable index strap, the garbage audio vs audiophile high end headphones that don’t touch your ears, and the garbage mic vs studio grade mic it’s easy to see why the Rift S has been deprioritized by Oculus.
The Quest has an adjustable IPD which is good, but no FOV improvements, but the pentile lower pixel density and even lower refresh rate combined with pretty constrained Quest graphics, or even worse, image compression and packaging from Link/ALVR put this back even further. Let’s not even get into the comfort problems the Quest has.
However, nothing rivals the Quest for mobile VR.
Stop waiting for VR and just get an Index if you want high quality or get a Quest if you want the gameboy of VR.
The only thing VR is “missing” is high quality content, and that’s finally starting to come to boltster the small selection of established VR titles and make VR come into its own.
Alyx is going to be great and will make the big boy players take notice, but what I wouldn’t give for Escape from Tarkov in VR, even if I’m not sure that this level of inventory complexity could be done for raids.
Just imagine building up guns in Tarkov like you do in H3VR back at your hideout. It would be so good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

Right now we're in the Cambrian explosion, but yeah probably at least another year before valve or Oculus releases a new headset

The next Quest that comes out will be the device to buy probably, but the current quest has new content coming out weekly and they're just getting started, getting all the performance out of the headset

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Hadlock posted:

Right now we're in the Cambrian explosion, but yeah probably at least another year before valve or Oculus releases a new headset

The next Quest that comes out will be the device to buy probably, but the current quest has new content coming out weekly and they're just getting started, getting all the performance out of the headset

The Quest took 5 years, a successor will be 2-3 years away minimum. Same with the Index.
We aren’t seeing notable new VR headsets until then and it’s not like we are lacking right now.
Index for high end (which means PCVR), Quest for mobile.

PSVR2 *might* try to catch up to the OG Rift but that’s still going to be aiming for seated gaming and mass appeal low quality VR experiences.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
History isn’t necessarily going to be the best guide here.

Oculus previously needed to ship and support Rift, Gear, and Go while developing the Quest and Rift S.

Now it’s just Quest and Rift S, both with the same controllers and similar tracking technology, plus whatever is under development, and the technical foundation doesn’t have to change fundamentally.

With Portal being Android based and also now developed in AR/VR (umbrella org for Oculus), and their hiring over the past whatever number of years, I think that a mild spec bump like with iPhones (“Quest S”?) is not unlikely.

Edit to add: The Quest was somewhat delayed because of Gear and Go and leveraged a lot of software and hardware tech development from both so I don’t think that 5 years is a good base to start from. It’ll probably not be another 2-3 years for the next iteration, but that makes more sense for the next generation of tech.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 18, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rage-saq posted:

The Quest took 5 years, a successor will be 2-3 years away minimum. Same with the Index.

A huge chunk of that 5 years of that was literally bootstrapping the technology for inside out tracking and getting it to run on a mobile platform. Quest is at its heart a Qualcomm snapdragon cpu/GPU, a Qualcomm dsp for motion tracking, four cameras and a battery. It's a really fancy cell phone. Quest is coming up on it's first birthday soon, in another year it'll be 2.

There's two ways the Quest sequel happens

1) drop in upgraded Qualcomm silicon, call it a day: Quest S
2) new Qualcomm silicon, better cameras, better screens, eye tracking: Quest 2

Quest S is pretty low lift, Qualcomm already makes pin compatible chips that would drop in with some new software drivers and boost performance by 25%. Easy mid cycle upgrade that doesn't break compatibility

Quest 2 would be a partial redesign but the tracking software has already been developed, eye tracking is not bleeding edge tech anymore, and 3D engines all have rudimentary foveated rendering now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The only doubt with Oculus Quest is I don't know if Facebook will do a "refresh", a Quest 2.0 or Quest S or Quest Pro, with more modern chipset, and better comfort, or they will wait more time for a real Quest 2, but it will have all the fancy technology they have in R&D.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't know if I commented it before, but it was a surprise how I liked the painting minigame in Vacation Simulator. This thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAUtbnsl5lM&t=498s
For being just a minigame between many more, it had a surprisingly decent 'brush simulation', how it responded to your strokes and the pressure on the paper. I wonder, is there any VR app that does the same? I know Tilt Brush exists but that's more for 3d painting right? And there is a graffiti simulator. I was wondering if there is a real oil painting / other types of painting with brush simulation.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 18, 2020

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Thanks for the thoughts Goons. I'll keep it all in mind. I like VR a lot right now, but do all my own gaming on the PSVR, which is good enough for me for now. I do hope Sony puts out a much better tracking PSVR2, but I'm willing to wait 2-3 years.

If gen 3 actually does roll around, I would probably be willing to jump ship to PC, but right now the current offerings aren't compelling enough to leave the PSVR ecosystem.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

XtraSmiley posted:

Thanks for the thoughts Goons. I'll keep it all in mind. I like VR a lot right now, but do all my own gaming on the PSVR, which is good enough for me for now. I do hope Sony puts out a much better tracking PSVR2, but I'm willing to wait 2-3 years.

If gen 3 actually does roll around, I would probably be willing to jump ship to PC, but right now the current offerings aren't compelling enough to leave the PSVR ecosystem.

PSVR isn’t even remotely comparable to where PCVR is with the gear out right now PCVR is like 3 generations ahead. Even the Quest blows PSVR out of the water.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

rage-saq posted:

PSVR isn’t even remotely comparable to where PCVR is with the gear out right now PCVR is like 3 generations ahead. Even the Quest blows PSVR out of the water.

Oh really? In what regard? Because its tracking sucks, but everything else* isn't exactly in the "blown out of the water" territory, but please, platform warrior away.

* things like game selection, online user base, ease of use, very low cost of entry, comfort, etc, etc.

XtraSmiley fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 19, 2020

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I might go for an Index if not for the many many reports of failing knuckles. Sure, the HMD may be better than anything else around, but that's worth nothing if its sitting on my shelf because I'm waiting to hear back about whether I can RMA my hundreds of dollars worth of consumable controllers.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

XtraSmiley posted:

Oh really? In what regard? Because its tracking sucks, but everything else* isn't exactly in the "blown out of the water" territory, but please, platform warrior away.

* things like game selection, online user base, ease of use, very low cost of entry, comfort, etc, etc.

No...lower performance, tracking quality, mobility (lots of wires), and selection aren't small things. Platform exclusives are nothing to sniff at, but it's clear all the VR game development focus is going to be on Quest or SteamVR. For the cost of entry you get many times the quality on the Quest to the point where it probably makes sense to sell PSVR before it depreciates any further and buy a Quest with the money.

IMO if you're looking for a 6dof VR platform, everything else leads PSVR by a not-insignificant margin and it's likely going to widen in the coming years.

To re-emphasize: it's not a platform warrior argument, PSVR is the worst of the mainstream VR options.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XtraSmiley posted:

PSVR has very much been supplanted by the Quest as the entry point for VR gaming; Its only requirement is "I have $400USD", and provides a full room-scale experience. PSVR2 needs to up its game to just get to par with everything else, because most VR games are multiplatform, and it's gonna be a shitload easier for developers to port to the platforms with standardized controllers than the one using Move Controllers (with no thumbsticks) and a headset that drifts that was built primarily for seated forward-facing users.

PSVR was specced against the original Oculus Rift setup of a headset and gamepad (and frankly surpassed it with tracking the Dualshock controller), but it's fundamentally been behind the curve ever since the Vive killed that standard stone-dead.

Turin Turambar posted:

The only doubt with Oculus Quest is I don't know if Facebook will do a "refresh", a Quest 2.0 or Quest S or Quest Pro, with more modern chipset, and better comfort, or they will wait more time for a real Quest 2, but it will have all the fancy technology they have in R&D.

I'd expect a refresh that lets it actually run at 80-90Hz at the very least, just to take the Rift S out of the equation. You can kinda guess what the guts of a Quest 2 will be already, because Qualcomm recently announced their new VR-tailored chip a few months back.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 19, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

pun pundit posted:

I might go for an Index if not for the many many reports of failing knuckles. Sure, the HMD may be better than anything else around, but that's worth nothing if its sitting on my shelf because I'm waiting to hear back about whether I can RMA my hundreds of dollars worth of consumable controllers.

To be an anecdote against this my Index is cool and good and I have zero issues with my controllers, and have had the thing for months.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

To be an anecdote against this my Index is cool and good and I have zero issues with my controllers, and have had the thing for months.

It was only the launch batch that really had issues, wasn't it?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The launch batch didn't sell out until Half Life Alyx was announced, though. I got bad controllers in early November.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was only the launch batch that really had issues, wasn't it?

That's what I had heard, and mine is def not a launch one as I bought mine just before Half Life Alyx was announced and all the Indexes disappeared.

Probably totally fine now.

Weirdly enough I did have a launch Vive and never had the controller issues that was reported on those either.

Edit
Or it is a launch batch and I'm just lucky x2, mine is from October 2019

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
As someone who's on the notify list for index controllers (Or as I like to think of it, 4x cost HL:Alyx and a free pair of controllers), I'm very curious to hear if they fixed the wonkiness I heard about with the Index controllers on launch. Is there any reliable info?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Just how easy is it to fire up one of the games I have in steamVR, like skyrim or elite(elite is a big one) on the quest?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Just how easy is it to fire up one of the games I have in steamVR, like skyrim or elite(elite is a big one) on the quest?

Just plug it into your PC, run the Oculus program and you're good to go.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Leal posted:

Just plug it into your PC, run the Oculus program and you're good to go.

and its no worse than the CV1?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Refresh rate is worse and it's possible for some video compression artifacts to be visible under certain circumstances like if there's lots of noisy detail. Sharpness is significantly better than CV1, tracking is better if compared to a 2 camera CV1 setup.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I honestly can't say, the Quest is my first and only experience in VR. For Skyrim it looks good enough to me? Just uh, don't look too closely at the gatherable plants.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Leal posted:

I honestly can't say, the Quest is my first and only experience in VR. For Skyrim it looks good enough to me? Just uh, don't look too closely at the gatherable plants.

this applies to everything with the CV1 so

ordered

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

RFC2324 posted:

and its no worse than the CV1?

I upgraded from a CV1 to a Quest and I am unable to perceive any compression or degradation in quality; the optics themselves are much better in the Quest to begin with. I can't honestly tell the difference in refresh rate apart (although the CV1 had 90Hz and the Quest has 72), but I am not really effected by framerate the way some other people are, so maybe I'm not the best judge for that. It still has some screendoor effect (less than the CV1), which I guess masks any compression I could otherwise notice in a perfectly crispy clear screen.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
I wouldn't completely discount the Rift S, I upgraded to it from the Vive and have been very happy. As far as price/performance it's hard to beat. I find it extremely comfortable which was probably my biggest issue with the OG Vive, and after a few teething issues early I've been extremely happy with the tracking. I bought it as an interim upgrade until the Index finally makes its way to Australia, but it will be very hard to justify the $1500+ AUD cost of an Index over $650 for a Rift S.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren: HTC has the Deluxe Audio Strap back in stock on the Vive website. :siren:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm a little shocked that they are. Are they showing up at any other retailers?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Csixtyfour posted:

Thanks, tried this and still headset works for maybe a minute and crashes. Bunch of static in the speakers, guessing cable is bad?

Speakers hadn't been playing up on mine, so either the cable or the headset itself - either way I'd get in contact with Oculus and see about a replacement :(

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:siren: HTC has the Deluxe Audio Strap back in stock on the Vive website. :siren:

Out of stock :argh:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shoefish posted:

I wouldn't completely discount the Rift S, I upgraded to it from the Vive and have been very happy. As far as price/performance it's hard to beat. I find it extremely comfortable which was probably my biggest issue with the OG Vive, and after a few teething issues early I've been extremely happy with the tracking. I bought it as an interim upgrade until the Index finally makes its way to Australia, but it will be very hard to justify the $1500+ AUD cost of an Index over $650 for a Rift S.

Yeah, it’s a fantastic piece of work. Highly recommended if the majority of your time is going to be PCVR, the comfort and ease of use is hard to beat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deathlove posted:

Out of stock :argh:

It's instock on the Australian page.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Taintrunner posted:

I would stick with the Rift S if you’re primarily going to be playing SteamVR. It’s a solid, comfortable headset, and the Link stuff has some mixed reviews.

Yeah, a big problem for me especially trying to watch movies (I've watched exactly one movie in VR and it was... doable but borderline uncomfortable and sweaty) is the weight of the device, and from what I'm hearing the Quest is significantly heavier on your face. I'll probably just re-buy the S, but thanks everybody for the responses. I just didn't know if portability was worth the performance hit and the headset weight, but the consensus seems to be that it's not worth it.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
The rift S owns and probably has the best price:performance ratio in the VR space if you have a good gaming PC in a relatively spacious room. I really hope Oculus doesn't totally exit the PCVR space, their tech is great

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Quest only needs slight hardware upgrades in order to be competitive with the Rift S. The controller tracking differences between the two are slight, maybe a better headstrap and enabling 90hz would bring it to par or even a little beyond. While Link might be a kind of a hack and has some drawbacks, their efforts make a lot more sense when you consider the software they've developed could also be used over a wireless connection. It hasn't been announced, but Carmack dropped plenty of hints of the possibility at his keynote.

A Quest Pro at $100 more with the ability to connect to a PC using a specialised WiFi dongle would negate the need for Rift to continue to exist.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I thought Carmack was leaving Oculus is that not the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

He still works there and his Twitter seems to indicate he's still active. He's also still doing rocketry, he spins a lot of plates.