Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Which boss are you stuck on? I don't remember having trouble with any bosses when I played

e: tbh I don't remember any non-optional bosses, of any kind, in Ayesha, except for the final boss of the main story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Endorph posted:

i can see why they removed the time limit considering how much people get hung up on it even when it barely matters

but it does matter! I don't have a clear sense of how far through the game I am, so it's terrifying to watch a month disappear because I need to swap party members or do some crafting! A time limit would make sense for a NG+ challenge but for a first time through it doesn't add anything except the terror of wasting a trip or making an item I won't need. It even pushes me away from doing any grinding or gathering because that takes up time.

If there was more structure so I could plan properly this would be easier, but in this format it's just bad design, especially if your players have anxiety.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of bosses, I didn't even bother trying this time, but does fighting and beating Keithgriff when you have the opportunity actually change anything?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

but it does matter! I don't have a clear sense of how far through the game I am, so it's terrifying to watch a month disappear because I need to swap party members or do some crafting! A time limit would make sense for a NG+ challenge but for a first time through it doesn't add anything except the terror of wasting a trip or making an item I won't need. It even pushes me away from doing any grinding or gathering because that takes up time.

If there was more structure so I could plan properly this would be easier, but in this format it's just bad design, especially if your players have anxiety.

Endorph's point was (I think) that you can waste like a full year and a half and still save Nio. So it causes anxiety while not actually affecting the gameplay in any real way. Hence why they got rid of it.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 19, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There two(?) non-optional bosses and the first one is a weird difficulty spike if you've just been waltzing through the game not really paying attention to combat or crafting because up until then you didn't need to.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

There two(?) non-optional bosses and the first one is a weird difficulty spike if you've just been waltzing through the game not really paying attention to combat or crafting because up until then you didn't need to.

I guess I just forgot the other one then

E&L and Ryza are the only modern Atelier that has non-optional bosses as a regular occurrence I think

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AHA

Just smashed Fortress, and according to gamefaqs there are two more required bosses. I can do this! I wanna save Nio with my own two hands, then play something relaxing!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
While we're on the topic of time limits, here's a brief summary of how they're used in the modern series:

• Rorona has a series of bite-sized time limits. You're given a task and three months to finish it. Repeat twelve times. Most of the tasks can be finished in a week, and all of them have a sliding scale of completion, so you can half-rear end them and Sterk might get mad at you but you'll still progress to the next task
  • Totori has a time limit where you're given a vague overall time limit for three years, then at the end of that period given a second vague long-term task for two more years.
  • Meruru's limit is almost identical to Totori's except it's much easier.
  • Ayesha is similar to Totori but without the second task. There's just the initial three year task.
  • Escha and Logy has Rorona-style bite-sized time limits, but has a greater emphasis on optional tasks that use the same timer. So it's trivial to guarantee progression but occasionally a bit stressful to complete all the timed optional tasks.
  • Shallie has no time limit
  • Sophie has no time limit
  • Firis has a Totori-style limit, but it's trivial to the point of being vestigial. As long as you move vaguely southeastwards most of the time, you'll finish with half the limit to spare. It has an extension after completing the initial task, but the extension has no time limit.
  • Lydie and Suelle has no time limit
  • Lulua has no time limit
  • Ryza has no time limit

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guide to beating Fortress, Strix-edition: in year 3, 6/20, bring Linca and Odelia. Be level 31-33.

Ayesha: Fragrant Staff, Leather Shirt, Fortune Card, Mystery Talisman. Make a lot of Lightning Sterns and some One Drop Recoveries. As she has the highest HP, when the boss winds up for his massive undodgeable AOE, know it'll do 90~ damage so ALWAYS keep her at full health. Otherwise throw Sterns, these will do 110~ damage.

Linca: Protector Sword, Magic Plate, Unglazed Charm, Mystery Talisman. Kind of useless because she only does 50~ damage with skills and knockback, but her special does 200+ damage so ultimate useful.

Odie: Old Gears, Fur Shirt, Medical Earring, Feather Pin. Your primary healer. I won by keeping her grouped up with Linca on one side of the boss and using the AOE heal summon on the two of them. Only heal Ayesha when the final attack is coming. Use the lightning attack for damage, use the reaction barrier to protect others. Pop special for some hefty damage.

I'm....relieved because I went in feeling it was impossible but it's doable, even if you scrape through by the skin of your teeth. A bad combo by the boss and you can lose Odie before she can get her reviving buddy up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You have ten months left to do about 2 zones I think. You'll easily beat the time limit, though you won't be able to get more than a few character endings.

e: I actually vaguely remember that boss now, and remember it being a pain. I think I used the watering can healing items. I don't remember why they were good but I remember them being good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just baked a bunch of the pastries with HP regen and kept shoving them down everyone's mouths

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You have ten months left to do about 2 zones I think. You'll easily beat the time limit, though you won't be able to get more than a few character endings.

That is a-okay. I'm aiming for Keith's ending and afaik you have to do the optional bit in the library to clear that, and I...already did that on accident. I'm aiming to beat the game, see that ending, youtube any others I want to, and move onto Escha and Logy. Hopefully I will then do less whineposting and more enthusiastic, happy posting.

Thank you for putting up with me, thread!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I just baked a bunch of the pastries with HP regen and kept shoving them down everyone's mouths

ah, the Fred Method

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

That is a-okay. I'm aiming for Keith's ending

Be warned that that person has to do some of their events before saving Nio. If you're at all unsure, use a guide, imo.

Missing out on those events is like half the reason I wanted to replay the game

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Be warned that that person has to do some of their events before saving Nio. If you're at all unsure, use a guide, imo.

Missing out on those events is like half the reason I wanted to replay the game

I can see myself in a while (after playing other Atelier games) coming back to this with my NG+ save (assuming I do beat the game) and trying for a 100% run. It's apparently very doable but you have to have a guide open because everything is on the opposite side of the map. It's... an interestingly designed game, with an almost puzzle quality to it in terms of timing and finding people and getting all the flowers. And that's without even touching upon the design of crafting and/or combat.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Sivek posted:

I'm liking these idiot twins.

:rip: to the weak monsters of the world

This is the moment that cemented the twins as the best protagonists for me. I’ve been thinking this since the first Atelier I played.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Rorona's time limit is so comfy.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The time limits are super cool BECAUSE they have stakes and bestow the journey a sense of uncertainty (especially in Ayesha and Firis), like the main characters would feel. That it later turns out they were extremely lenient is fine, they have served their purpose in making the player feel emotions. Unfortunately a lot of players feel like they might die irl if they aren't 100% they are succeeding at any given moment.

E: I've had very few videogame feelings so exhilirating as making your own discoveries, judgement calls and progress in a time limited Atelier game. The current ones are fun and comfy in other ways, but I hope we still get those sprinkled in as the series goes on and changes.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 19, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah thats about how i feel. i think a big part of the atelier series' emotional resonance is the sense of transience, it bestows a vague sense of melancholy. characters growing older, characters who were in earlier games not appearing much or feeling like they still hang out with the cast in later games, the games spanning a finite, observable amount of time. it adds a lot of texture to the story of these characters growing up and finding their place in the world. with the time limit removed, that angle's almost completely lost. it's a bit of a shame.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The early games capture that in a more mundane way. In Atelier Marie you are a student failed by the education system living on your own and you can spend months on end secluded inside your ever messier workshop and never hear about anyone or anything going on unless you literally take the time to go outside, and even then any characters of possible interest might be who knows where living their own lives. It's great.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 19, 2020

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like the time limits because they make me feel like a good boy when I finish tlmy assignments early.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless the actual ending part redeems it, Regina's storyline sucks rear end the whole thing is framed as her parents pressuring her to quit and settle down when she obviously doesn't want to and just convinces herself it's what she should do.
Maybe I'm being too hard on it but the whole "Wow Ayesha you'd make a great wife, we should get married." "Silly Regina, we're both girls." "Haha, yeah." conversation kinda soured me on the whole thing lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tonfa and Endorph, those are some good points. I obviously don't agree with them, but I'm glad you get that out of the time limited Atelier games, and I hope that in the future they continue to do a mix of time limit vs not so everyone is happy.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I’m not minding the Ayesha time limit too much, but I wish it was a little more clear at times what is expected to be done to just have a little more structure to the game. I think I’d like it to be a little more like Persona, where there are smaller, timed goals.

That being said, I just made the crystal flower and fought the giant slag and I’m like, on 3/13/2 so I think I’m nearing the end. I haven’t paid much attention to like, getting character endings this time, though.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

my issue with the newer games is not so much the lack of time limits as it is the way in which you unlock new recipes one at a time via the hint book, which leads to a lot of unfun progression bottlenecks while you try to figure out why you don't have the recipe for some low level item that it feels like you should have unlocked hours ago. the time limit games give out the recipes a lot faster and more generously since they can't afford to let you get stuck like that, and the limiting factor just becomes ingredients, as it should be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

my issue with the newer games is not so much the lack of time limits as it is the way in which you unlock new recipes one at a time via the hint book, which leads to a lot of unfun progression bottlenecks while you try to figure out why you don't have the recipe for some low level item that it feels like you should have unlocked hours ago. the time limit games give out the recipes a lot faster and more generously since they can't afford to let you get stuck like that, and the limiting factor just becomes ingredients, as it should be.

Now I get that, because I was without higher level bombs for a good chunk of Sophie because I didn't fully understand the crafting system. And then I kept not having fabrics I needed for armor.

And like. It's fun running through a dungeon and finding a spot and unlocking a recipe, but so many essentials are locked behind "can you get this one weird trait onto this bagel?" and like, why.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Tonfa posted:

The time limits are super cool BECAUSE they have stakes and bestow the journey a sense of uncertainty (especially in Ayesha and Firis), like the main characters would feel. That it later turns out they were extremely lenient is fine, they have served their purpose in making the player feel emotions. Unfortunately a lot of players feel like they might die irl if they aren't 100% they are succeeding at any given moment.

E: I've had very few videogame feelings so exhilirating as making your own discoveries, judgement calls and progress in a time limited Atelier game. The current ones are fun and comfy in other ways, but I hope we still get those sprinkled in as the series goes on and changes.

Yeah I certainly feel this way about Ayesha at least. My first time playing I got the bad ending, but years of experience taught me to make a million saves for games so I loaded up a save from a bit earlier before I had run over the time limit faffing around and it was fine. It was a good thing thematically for the stakes to be high and what bullshit does exist is there to encourage replays. Whether you're a person who replays games much or not of course changes how you feel about that, but everything about the Dusk aesthetic and Ayesha's story resonates heavily with me so I didn't mind it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Ayesha and managed to scrape a whole four endings. Outside of my issues with Regina's story it was pretty decent, though I feel like I missed some of the story by not doing Keithgriff's stuff even though it's missable after a certain point.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

So this was me on Friday of last week:

An absolute descent into pure slice of life, chill gaming.

I made it to the examination in Firis and decided I wasn't prepared for it (140 days or so left) so instead of putting in any work like a good alchemist in training I decided to start up L&S. I absolutely love Lydie and Suelle, guys, holy poo poo. The aesthetic for it is wonderful and magical and beautiful. I'm only on Chapter 4 of it, at the beginning of the second painting. I've been having a blast with it. My husband has been playing Ryza when I take breaks and it looks fantastic too, I can't wait to start playing but I told myself to at least finish one game first. He and I both bounced off Escha & Logy that we bought years and years ago, I don't even remember the reason why at this point. I'm super glad I opted to give the Atelier series another shot. :3:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

everyone loves the gremlin twins

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
if you love L&S already then just wait, the best of the story and the music and the artistic direction (imo) still has yet to come!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ive bounced off L&S twice now, the cast just was not doing it for me for some reason, so all these posts about the twins make me think I must have been missing something. I was still fairly early on (just getting past the haunted graveyard painting) so maybe if I ever go back third time will be the charm

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
the game will get better and better as more of the very colorful cast arrives (like, you just got mathias shortly before entering the spooky forest painting, and imo one of the great joys of L&S is mathias getting owned)

it starts you off being lighthearted and entertaining but will definitely punch you in the gut later on regarding the twins' parents

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Just screwed myself out of the ending I was aiming for entirely by accident and I'm too annoyed to reload my save from an hour ago. I'm... Just gonna go save Nio and be done. Ugh.

e: aaand back to happy because it took a few tries and I had to get Odie again, but I DID IT. QUEST COMPLETE. Now I can goof off in the like... three months left before the game ends. Yaaay!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 19, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How important is the Attaker/Defender/Support role stuff in Ryza, I just want to give people whatever armour has the best stats and not worry about that

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I started Ryza last week and I'm really digging the fact that the quests aren't just random requests. Ryza obviously knows everyone around this small, close-knit village and it's pretty cool the way some quests are just 'talk to this explorer guy who Ryza idolizes a bit because he's out living his dream and exploring'.

It's a little weird that Ryza is simultaneously supposed to be someone who does no work and someone who keeps helping random people round town out, though. They're not mutually exclusive, I guess, but it just feels like a little whiplash was involved there.

I wish you could tell where side scenes are, though. I'm going to be obsessively checking every location I can each chapter, I'm sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Unless the actual ending part redeems it, Regina's storyline sucks rear end the whole thing is framed as her parents pressuring her to quit and settle down when she obviously doesn't want to and just convinces herself it's what she should do.
Maybe I'm being too hard on it but the whole "Wow Ayesha you'd make a great wife, we should get married." "Silly Regina, we're both girls." "Haha, yeah." conversation kinda soured me on the whole thing lol

that conversation owns tho??

the regina ending's kinda eh tho. its not as bad as it could be but its still fairly lame

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 19, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah not showing where events are sucks, at least they don't seem to expire, I stumbled across a 'Ryza shows blondie around town' one I'd missed hours after it was relevant lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stelas posted:

I started Ryza last week and I'm really digging the fact that the quests aren't just random requests. Ryza obviously knows everyone around this small, close-knit village and it's pretty cool the way some quests are just 'talk to this explorer guy who Ryza idolizes a bit because he's out living his dream and exploring'.

It's a little weird that Ryza is simultaneously supposed to be someone who does no work and someone who keeps helping random people round town out, though. They're not mutually exclusive, I guess, but it just feels like a little whiplash was involved there.

I wish you could tell where side scenes are, though. I'm going to be obsessively checking every location I can each chapter, I'm sure.

Shes shirking her supposed responsibilities and assuming other ones, not too surprising not everybody keeps up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Atelier Ayesha complete! I only got the normal ending... but I'm okay with that! It's adorable!

I have really complicated feelings towards this game because it's really pretty and has great music and most of the cast is great, but... well, see all of my posts complaining about the time limit. I won't repeat them here. You can also really tell that this game is meant to be replayed and learned pretty thoroughly - I can already think of ways to do the main quest in a more efficient manner without running around so much. I think... I hope that in a while I come back to the game and give it another shot, because I might just love it then.

Either way: Linca and Odie best girls, Marion is fantastic, and I'm so glad at how cheerful the ending is. :kimchi:

e: Installing Escha and Logy right now!! Excited for it!!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 20, 2020