Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I never actually read the original story, but there's something very... telling? Frustrating? Tedious? About the way that the reaction to it and the discussion surrounding it has played out almost entirely over Twitter, the worst possible place to discuss anything related to identity politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Enjoy this link to someone writing 15 years after the book Not Getting It.
https://ianhamet.wordpress.com/2006/03/17/first-lines-neuromancer/

Lol this is great. It refuses to accept that a metaphor or simile can be anything other than rigidly accurate and completely misses the point of comparing the sky to a dead television channel: it's a world utterly consumed by technology, a sentence that seems written by somebody whose first instinct is to analogise the natural world to the artificial world.

edit - further lol at every one of his commenters disagreeing with him, and his assertion that Gibson is a good writer because his Alien 3 film could have been the best in the series because "Hicks was the hero, Ripley was barely in it"

freebooter fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 17, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

freebooter posted:

I never actually read the original story, but there's something very... telling? Frustrating? Tedious? About the way that the reaction to it and the discussion surrounding it has played out almost entirely over Twitter, the worst possible place to discuss anything related to identity politics.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/clarkesworld/status/1217905100565381120

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wow, so she had to out herself as trans because of an outrage mob. Great stuff.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The more I read about it the more loving God awful the whole situation is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

freebooter posted:

edit - further lol at every one of his commenters disagreeing with him, and his assertion that Gibson is a good writer because his Alien 3 film could have been the best in the series because "Hicks was the hero, Ripley was barely in it"

Which is looking even dumber as a take now Gibson's Alien 3 has been adapted.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

mllaneza posted:

The most famous line in the book, the very first one in the book, is "The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel." Thanks to the march of time and technology, that is now a cloudless-sky blue. Neuromancer is now a message of hope.

I'm pretty sure there's a term for this kind of thing, where the meaning of a phrase changes over time because the thing it's referencing changes, but I cannot think of what it is to save my life and it's bugging the poo poo out of me. Anybody know it, or am I just crazy?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

semantic drift

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
'dollars to donuts' used to be very generous odds for a wager...

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Stop the sensitivity wars. That man just had heart surgery and had to type all that crap. I hate 2020 internet. Let's go back to bbsing.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 17, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

BananaNutkins posted:

Stop the sensitivity wars. That man just had heart surgery and had to type all that crap. I hate 2020 internet. Let's go back to bbsing.

what in the world are you trying to say here

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Black Griffon posted:

I think maybe he's a veteran of the Psychic Wars from the other side, they called it something different

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
~ATH0,,,,,,,khkhhkKHJKJHKLllkl;kl;kNOCARRIER

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Black Griffon posted:

Forgot to quote the pertinent post in my post ; ;

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What's really confusing the gently caress out of me is that - somewhat atypically - all my SF-reading trans friends have said they really loved the story and that it spoke to them and their experience, even to the point of showing it to family members and partners to provide basis for discussion. I also had a number of female friends comment that they felt it was absolutely written true to a female voice. I'm not gonna pretend I have the basis to understand what the issues are with the story, but the trans community itself seems remarkably divided on it, and I haven't actually seen the side that hates the story present what their problems with it are. Is that something anyone here might be willing to lay out for me?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

BananaNutkins posted:

Forgot to quote the pertinent post in my post ; ;

I had a bit of a knee jerk reaction to be honest, I understood which post you were referring to, but I assumed the worst of intentions. With some distance, I'm still struggling to see which viewpoint you're advocating, but in any case I'm with the author. Speaking as a non-binary person, for what it's worth

Well. Yep! Ok.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kesper North posted:

What's really confusing the gently caress out of me is that - somewhat atypically - all my SF-reading trans friends have said they really loved the story and that it spoke to them and their experience, even to the point of showing it to family members and partners to provide basis for discussion. I also had a number of female friends comment that they felt it was absolutely written true to a female voice. I'm not gonna pretend I have the basis to understand what the issues are with the story, but the trans community itself seems remarkably divided on it, and I haven't actually seen the side that hates the story present what their problems with it are. Is that something anyone here might be willing to lay out for me?

Some of the tweets linked from the F770 post earlier in this thread do a better job of laying it out than I will here, but the tl;dr is:
- the story is full of stuff that's right out of common TERF rhetoric like "scientists are transing your children", persistent confusion between gender and sexuality, etc
- it also falls flat in a few ways (the supposedly post-gender, post-binary society that enabled the basic conceit is undermined by stuff like the paragraph that talks about how easy it is to figure out someone's gender based on what they're wearing; the amount of dysphoria you would experience when you're not a helicopter is barely touched on) which make it seem like the TERF talking points are the point of the story and the rest was just backfilled to support them
- there's also a weird aside where it basically says "are you a trans person fighting for your rights? well this is your fault"
- the title immediately primes people to read all of the above in the worst possible light

I'm willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt when she says this was a well-intentioned attempt to reclaim the meme that went badly wrong, and I hope she's doing ok, but I'm not at all surprised that a lot of people found it unpleasant or hurtful, or were concerned that it was just giving ammo to shitheads.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 17, 2020

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ToxicFrog posted:

Some of the tweets linked from the F770 post earlier in this thread do a better job of laying it out than I will here, but the tl;dr is:
- the story is full of stuff that's right out of common TERF rhetoric like "scientists are transing your children", persistent confusion between gender and sexuality, etc
- it also falls flat in a few ways (the supposedly post-gender, post-binary society that enabled the basic conceit is undermined by stuff like the paragraph that talks about how easy it is to figure out someone's gender based on what they're wearing; the amount of dysphoria you would experience when you're not a helicopter is barely touched on) which make it seem like the TERF talking points are the point of the story and the rest was just backfilled to support them
- there's also a weird aside where it basically says "are you a trans person fighting for your rights? well this is your fault"
- the title immediately primes people to read all of the above in the worst possible light

I'm willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt when she says this was a well-intentioned attempt to reclaim the meme that went badly wrong, and I hope she's doing ok, but I'm not at all surprised that a lot of people found it unpleasant or hurtful, or were concerned that it was just giving ammo to shitheads.

Thanks! I read that thread but you laid it out in a much more ingestible way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I was just linked to a short story anthology themed about robots and it drops in March and the author list is real interesting:

Featuring stories by John Chu, Daryl Gregory, Alice Sola Kim, Rich Larson, Ken Liu, Carmen Maria Machado, Ian R. Macleod, Annalee Newitz, Suzanne Palmer, Vina Jie-Min Prasad, Alastair Reynolds, Kelly Robson, Sofia Samatar, Rivers Solomon and Peter Watts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Victory Unintentional.

I always liked the one about Cutie, whose job is to keep space power beams on target and who quite reasonably determines that the outside universe is false data, they're obeying god, and the humans who visit the satellite are just being created with false memories because they can't handle the truth and then destroyed when they leave.

And they're like, well, you do you guy.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was just linked to a short story anthology themed about robots and it drops in March and the author list is real interesting:

Featuring stories by John Chu, Daryl Gregory, Alice Sola Kim, Rich Larson, Ken Liu, Carmen Maria Machado, Ian R. Macleod, Annalee Newitz, Suzanne Palmer, Vina Jie-Min Prasad, Alastair Reynolds, Kelly Robson, Sofia Samatar, Rivers Solomon and Peter Watts.

Well this has the potential for some serious tone whiplash.

Is an interesting list though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm starting to work on my review of last years` Analogs (to the level of deciding which I'm voting for in the AnLabs, and like I promised, maybe I'll talk about them here, too), and I'm also reading this year's Jan/Feb, which features "What if a 90s internet atheist updated her vocab for 2020 and wrote a book about schools?".

One thing I will say about the AnLabs is that they need to unify Novellas and Novelettes because they barely have any novellas and two out of the three this year were Adam-Troy Castro's, and both of them were really meh. I think they had a similar problem last year. Meanwhile Probability Zeros get nothing.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jonathan Strachan gives good antho.

I preordered that one when Amazon recommended it too.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I just noticed that each of the books in The Voidwitch Saga trilogy by Corey J. White is on sale for $1.99 each on Amazon Kindle store.
The first one, Killing Gravity, was a free book from Tor ebook club back in 2018.

1. Killing Gravity: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYM808E
2. Void Black Shadow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756JCH2F/
3. Static Ruin: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DC56PNP

mewse
May 2, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

That is sad.
Tolkien Society: Please keep Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson away from the Tolkien papers.

I don't even understand how those two are so completely dogshit at writing

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
finally managed to read through the whole three body problem series

holy smokes existential dread

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

mewse posted:

I don't even understand how those two are so completely dogshit at writing

Well, Kevin J Anderson seems to have Sanderson qualities in churning out books at least. The only series by him I read I finished mostly out of curiosity how the train wreck would end.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I accidentally read a romance novel via Tor's "free ebook a month" thing. It was Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon. For some reason it was 1800 pages.

The first half of the book was in ancient greece/atlantis and was kinda OK but the entire thing was just the title character being tortured over and over again.

The second half of the book was in the present day, eleven thousand years later(???), where the title character falls in love with a mortal woman who is completely unlike anyone else who's ever lived - she's nice to him.

The most notable part about the second half was how it exposed how the author has bad taste about everything in the real world. She describes these punk rock clothes that Acheron wears and they sound so dumb like something a teenager would wear, he seduces the mortal woman by singing her a Nickleback song, he rides a fuckin busa, bro

e: hahaha if I had been paying attention they offered a 2nd one of her books that I'd never read

mewse fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 18, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mewse posted:

The most notable part about the second half was how it exposed how the author has bad taste about everything in the real world. She describes these punk rock clothes that Acheron wears and they sound so dumb like something a teenager would wear, he seduces the mortal woman by singing her a Nickleback song, he rides a fuckin busa, bro

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2019/05/16/sherrilyn-kenyon-poisoning-author-jailed-tennessee-court/3671663002/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...oks/1884678001/

Everything about her is WILD

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

accidentally reading an 1800 page book sure is something

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

mewse posted:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
You know what's near Acheron? LV-426. Dust off now and nuke the site from orbit...

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The attack helicopter story is still available on the wayback machine.

I reckon it's pretty good.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Graydon Saunders has just released A Mist of Grit and Splinters, book #5 in his Commonweal series. If you're not familiar with it, the first book is The March North, and is best described as granite-hard military fantasy. They're heavy on the worldbuilding, heavy on the logistics, and replete with show-don't-tell. I think the best indicators for liking it would be liking Watts or Rajaniemi, who similarly omit a lot of context and expect the reader to keep up.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 19, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

coffeetable posted:

Graydon Saunders has just released A Mist of Grit and Splinters, book #5 in his Commonweal series. If you're not familiar with it, the first book is The March North, and is best described as granite-hard military fantasy. They're heavy on the worldbuilding, heavy on the logistics, and replete with show-don't-tell. I think the best indicators for liking it would be liking Watts or Rajaniemi, who similarly omit a lot of context and expect the reader to keep up.

Is he good like they are? I really like both those writers, but I'm worried that you're comparing them on the axis of "doesn't excessively world build" but I'm worried that on the "prose is good" axis you're not saying anything.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Is he good like they are? I really like both those writers, but I'm worried that you're comparing them on the axis of "doesn't excessively world build" but I'm worried that on the "prose is good" axis you're not saying anything.

Prose is average, first book is basically black company analogue.
Second and third is Harry Potter meets Minecraft in the most boring way.
Oh, and Saunders is self published.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

What's my next Sanderson if the first I've read is Elantris?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cardiac posted:

Prose is average, first book is basically black company analogue.
Second and third is Harry Potter meets Minecraft in the most boring way.
Oh, and Saunders is self published.

Agreed with all of this other than the "most boring way" part.

quote:

The March North is set in a world where the written word has been around for perhaps a hundred thousand years, or perhaps even longer. Where magic has incessantly shaped and reshaped the environment (geological and biological). Where you cannot understand this world without knowing of magic and its history; it would be like trying to make sense of our world while ignoring the existence of grasses.

For the various intelligent species (both evolved and created), this is a world where outbreaks of dark and malevolent magical overlords are as common as century droughts.

But not in the Commonweal, an enclave of thinking beings, many of whom (but not all) are human (or mostly so). The Commonweal has worked out a way for the little folk and the great masters of magic to coexist, without requiring the little folk to become the slaves or worse of the mages, or for the mages to be overthrown and brutally killed as often as it took to actually kill them [2]. The Commonweal’s way makes great demands on its citizens, but what its people get in return is an existence that isn’t an endless parade of chaos, brutal exploitation, and violent collapse.

The Commonweal is an island of not-suckery in a vast sea of violent chaos. Much of its energies are devoted to deterring incursions from ambitious or desperate neighbors. Due to the …. limited might be being too generous… political skills of the Commonweal’s neighboring communities, the Commonweal doesn’t need to worry about foreign subversion, but it does have to keep an eye out for invasions. Which brings us to the plot of this novel.
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-world-of-ancient-magics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ulmont posted:

Agreed with all of this other than the "most boring way" part.

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-world-of-ancient-magics

God that review is loving insufferable.