Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Lemon posted:

I'm looking for games to scratch a particular itch that I can't quite define. Sort of... Simulation/Management/RPGs? They present you with a world made up of sytems of varying degrees of complexity and you are given a lot of freedom in how you choose to interact with and affect this world. Regardless of how sophisticated the simulation actually is, it needs to present a persistent world that is ticking along by itself, with or without you interfering. I prefer ones where the gameplay is menu-based, rather than actually controlling individual characters. Another important part is being left to figure some things out by yourself; you're given the information on how things work and then it's up to you to decide what to do. Some examples of games that have hit this mark (or not) would probably make it clearer:

The Guild, only the first one since the sequels veer a bit too heavily into character babysitting territory. There's also a game in early access called Saelig that seems to be trying to recreate what The Guild was doing.
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
Kerbal Space Program
Factorio
Hacknet is currently the hack-like closest to Uplink I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lemon posted:

all have you playing as one person at a time[...] Dwarf Fortress, etc don't scratch this particular itch for me because of this.
You did play the fortress mode, right?

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
1) Are the Legacy of Kain games worth a try if I never played them?
2) Which one would be a good start?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FeastForCows posted:

1) Are the Legacy of Kain games worth a try if I never played them?
2) Which one would be a good start?

Soul Reaver is pretty solid, has a surprisingly good PC port for its era if you don't have a PS1 handy, and the intro catches you up on the cliff notes of the series up till that point.

e: they're not amazing but you could do a lot worse as sort of actiony, gothic Zelda clones go

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 18, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first Soul Reaver is still a classic. Heads up that you're going to need Controller Companion or some other gamepad remapper to use a controller on PC.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions! Just downloaded Hacknet and I've got Objects in Space, Academagia and Saelig in my wishlist. Also got Starsector earmarked.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lemon posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! Just downloaded Hacknet and I've got Objects in Space, Academagia and Saelig in my wishlist. Also got Starsector earmarked.
When it comes to Objects In Space.

Leave the Tutorial areas for farther systems after you get your 'obvious tutorial mission NPC string' paydays. Because unless they changed things, the "Starter" zones have the highest docking fees in the entire game. It's also why even if you take out a loan, getting a jump drive ASAP is worth it to remove jump gate fees on top. So you'd end up in situations like "okay it's $40 to deliver these apples, and $180 for this other job. Now to pay $100 to leave this statiom, $60 for the jump gate, and then $70 to leave my destination station." While distant systems had fees more like $30.

The Devs did try to smooth things out there, but it's also the sort of game where the devs didn't notice missions were not paying anything after one patch because of "You just need to play the game smarter! If anything I think fees should cost more!" types :v: and everyone was just used to taking a loss after stacking three missions just being A Thing That Happens in the early game due to the above.

That said, it's also beautiful when everything comes together. Like when you silent running drift off to safety through a net of mission triggered cops that were already after you the moment you launched :allears: The core sales pitch of "Sumbarine space ships" was nailed amazingly. Just be aware the economy side can be a little iffy unless you know the game's quirks. The game really opens up in obsessively managing your power vs emissions once you get over that early hump.

Fake EDIT: ah, right. Submarine gameplay reminds me. The game beats you over the head with how important "Hide in the blue nebulas. Red and purple nebulas are bad." is. You start the game in a tiny pod with a full color display.

On of the leading newbie questions was "Why are blue nebula killing me?" because the first real space ship you get, came with a monochrome "Everything is blue" UI component. So I started yanking the full color UI component out of the pod to buy back for my ship. I think the pod also came with an above average FCS? But swiping that that felt like cheating compared to "There, I fixed the UI".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 19, 2020

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
I'm looking for some 2D platformers that focus on combat and tight character control/movesets over pits-and-spikes platforming. I love learning boss patterns and getting used to the choreography of a tough encounter.

Some 16-bit era examples of this are things like Shinobi III and Contra: Hard Corps as well as almost anything by Treasure. Some Metroidvanias do this well too, although I've played most of the big ones. Any recommendations for this sort of title? I'm game for pretty much anything post 8-bit era. Bonus for 'duel bosses' - think the Zangetsu fights from Bloodstained, for example.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hollow Knight is the obvious recommendation. You might also check Bleed and Bleed 2, Broforce, and Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight.

There's also things like playing Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin with the level cap modifier (e.g. Hard Mode Level 1), which makes it so the vast majority of enemies one-shot you unless you use a particular piece of armor that makes all hits deal 10% of your max HP.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

ReWinter posted:

I'm looking for some 2D platformers that focus on combat and tight character control/movesets over pits-and-spikes platforming. I love learning boss patterns and getting used to the choreography of a tough encounter.

The Messenger is pretty much a love letter to 8 bit and 16 bit platformers. I enjoyed my time with it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

What is the best open space game out these days? The privateer/freelancer type trade/fight/whatever style.

The X games were good but not really for me; I was OK with the combat and all but when it came to making a fleet and deploying space stations and creating supply routes and poo poo it got out of hand and I fell behind, so something where I can just focus on being a single guy with a single ship that I can kit out/upgrade/replace as needed is what fits me best.

I know that Elite : Dangerous is still going strong, but I heard that rebel galaxy (or something like that) was gonna be a good one too, wondering if there's others I don't know about or if any of them flopped or whatever.

khy fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 19, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is like Privateer but with the cruft shaved off, everything is real fast and feels good.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is like Privateer but with the cruft shaved off, everything is real fast and feels good.

Gotcha. How about E:D? I know it's a bit old but is it still going strong? And is it more single ship focused or is it similar to the X series where you start out small but endgame is massive and fleets and all that?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

khy posted:

Gotcha. How about E:D? I know it's a bit old but is it still going strong? And is it more single ship focused or is it similar to the X series where you start out small but endgame is massive and fleets and all that?

Don't get into E:D. The company running it can't do anything correctly and are incompetent to the point of hilarity. Their most recent patch, earlier in the week, succeeded in fixing exactly nothing it was supposed to. Instead, it broke literally everything they said they were fixing, and then it broke some other, unrelated stuff as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ReWinter posted:

Some 16-bit era examples of this are things like Shinobi III and Contra: Hard Corps as well as almost anything by Treasure. Some Metroidvanias do this well too, although I've played most of the big ones. Any recommendations for this sort of title? I'm game for pretty much anything post 8-bit era. Bonus for 'duel bosses' - think the Zangetsu fights from Bloodstained, for example.
some of these might do it for ya

Dead Cells
https://store.steampowered.com/app/588650/Dead_Cells/

Axiom Verge
https://store.steampowered.com/app/332200/Axiom_Verge/

Gensokyo Night Festival
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1122050/Gensokyo_Night_Festival/

Noitu Love 2
https://store.steampowered.com/app/207530/Noitu_Love_2_Devolution/
it's a criminally obscure solo platformer made by one person, inspired by the likes of gunstar heroes, and is five bucks on steam

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

Don't get into E:D. The company running it can't do anything correctly and are incompetent to the point of hilarity. Their most recent patch, earlier in the week, succeeded in fixing exactly nothing it was supposed to. Instead, it broke literally everything they said they were fixing, and then it broke some other, unrelated stuff as well.

I'll agree with the "Don't get into E:D" but for a different reason.

The ship simulator portion is, for the most part, excellent. The flight model, docking, ship interactions, mining, planets, all of it is outstanding.

But there is just no game there. It's been the single largest complaint since release, and they just refuse to put anything in there to compel us to keep playing.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Any suggestions for JRPGs on Steam that have interesting settings? I started playing Trails after tons of people saying it's great and while the game itself is pretty okay so far the story and setting and characters are so generic and bland. I also tried one of the highly acclaimed Tales Of games a while ago and bouncing hard off of that as well, anything with knights and castles makes my eyes glaze over (except DQ for some reason).

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 19, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

garfield hentai posted:

Any suggestions for JRPGs on Steam that have interesting settings? I started playing Trails after tons of people saying it's great and while the game itself is pretty okay so far the story and setting and characters are so generic and bland. I also tried one of the highly acclaimed Tales Of games a while ago and bouncing hard off of that as well, anything with knights and castles makes my eyes glaze over (except DQ for some reason).

Ara Fell. It's elves vs. vampires on a floating island in the sky with very good writing.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

ReWinter posted:

Copy Kitty is a criminally overlooked game that is basically Kirby 64 meets a treasure game.

garfield hentai posted:

You've played Lisa, right? I've also heard that Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is very good, though I haven't played it myself. If you haven't played them, Off and Space Funeral are both fantastic if short freeware RPGs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

garfield hentai posted:

A whole bunch of the Atelier series was just released on Steam.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're OK with Dragon Quest, then Brave Hero Yuusha might also be good. It starts off looking just like DQ2 but it goes places.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Trick Question posted:

You've played Lisa, right? I've also heard that Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is very good, though I haven't played it myself. If you haven't played them, Off and Space Funeral are both fantastic if short freeware RPGs.

I've played most of these but Off is new to me and looks good as hell

Hwurmp posted:

A whole bunch of the Atelier series was just released on Steam.

I've heard good things about these games but there's so many of them I have no god drat clue where to start

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

garfield hentai posted:

I've heard good things about these games but there's so many of them I have no god drat clue where to start

Probably either Ayesha, Lydie & Suelle, or Ryza.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just got a big computer upgrade, but I'm still mainly playing Fallout 4 and Civilization 5. What are some beautiful games with cool physics to check out with my new hardware? I love large-scale battles and interesting destruction physics.

(32 gigs of RAM, i7-8700, RTX-2070)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chamale posted:

I just got a big computer upgrade, but I'm still mainly playing Fallout 4 and Civilization 5. What are some beautiful games with cool physics to check out with my new hardware? I love large-scale battles and interesting destruction physics.

The Total War series comes immediately to mind when you speak of large scale battles. Total War Three Kingdoms is the latest, but Total War Warhammer II is good as well.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Trick Question posted:

hey i think im about halfway through off right now and just wanted to say thanks for the Off recc because this kind of thing is basically exactly what i was looking for and insanely my poo poo

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Chamale posted:

Control!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm looking for a game that fits the description of "chill building and exploration"

I've been playing a ton of No Man's Sky and have been really enjoying the base building aspect, but have found it to be too rudimentary. I've created some megastructure monstrosities but it all feels kind of pointless since they don't really do anything to further me in the game.

I've previously had this itch scratched by Stardew Valley, but I've done everything on that, and by "Kittens Game" on Android. I tried getting into Minecraft, but the voxel style is incredibly unappealing. I also tried Terraria, but it was too platformer and I dropped out when it got to be stressful to proceed.

I've poked around and heard good things about Rimworld, Oxygen Not Included, Factorio, and Astroneer, but it's kinda hard to tell how much each game qualifies for the "chill" part and how much actual exploration each offers. Also, not sure if there's ones I'm missing.

Thoughts?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Azathoth posted:

I've poked around and heard good things about Rimworld, Oxygen Not Included, Factorio, and Astroneer, but it's kinda hard to tell how much each game qualifies for the "chill" part and how much actual exploration each offers. Also, not sure if there's ones I'm missing.

Rimworld would need extensive modding to make it chill, as it is not chill at all. Survival and enemies are rough. Oxygen Not Included is the least chill game (but very good). Factorio can get CRAZY indepth with your building, and you can turn off enemies so I would recommend it. Never played Astroneer.

Rimworld, ONI and Factorio do not feature exploration.

Minecraft sounds exactly like what you want. Can you find a shader pack or graphic mod to make it look better for you?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
How about Dragon Quest Builders 2? The terrain is kinda blocky for the most part but that's about it.

e: I suppose it's not the chillest until you beat story mode, haven't gone that far in but heard there's a couple very unchill sections later on

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Subnautica?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Subnautica is like 90% chill, 10% pants-making GBS threads terror. It's great.

I think there's even a creative mode that's just the chill part, but it might feel a little aimless.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If I take out the exploration part and just ask for "chill building game", is there anything better than Factorio with enemies off?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Astroneer is the most chill of all of those, but there's not really as much building.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
ONI has exploration unless you cheat and reveal everything. Astroneer has as much building as you want, I've seen some spectacular bases, really incredible.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....letterbox=false

There's plenty of chill building games including Factory Town, Autonauts, and Craft the World. Come join us over at the Management Megathread thread

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mayveena posted:

ONI has exploration unless you cheat and reveal everything. Astroneer has as much building as you want, I've seen some spectacular bases, really incredible.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....letterbox=false

There's plenty of chill building games including Factory Town, Autonauts, and Craft the World. Come join us over at the Management Megathread thread

Thanks for this, and thanks to the other folks who chimed in!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Azathoth posted:

I'm looking for a game that fits the description of "chill building and exploration"
Unreal World, but I'm pretty sure it's not the kind of chill you're looking for.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Pierzak posted:

Unreal World, but I'm pretty sure it's not the kind of chill you're looking for.

It'll definitely make any building and exploring feel like an actual accomplishment, though!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Azathoth posted:

I've been playing a ton of No Man's Sky and have been really enjoying the base building aspect, but have found it to be too rudimentary. I've created some megastructure monstrosities but it all feels kind of pointless since they don't really do anything to further me in the game.

I've previously had this itch scratched by Stardew Valley, but I've done everything on that, and by "Kittens Game" on Android. I tried getting into Minecraft, but the voxel style is incredibly unappealing. I also tried Terraria, but it was too platformer and I dropped out when it got to be stressful to proceed.

Thoughts?

You want a mod for Minecraft called Life In the Woods: Renaissance. It runs on an older vesion of Java minecraft but will be more than enough for any exploration related needs. It adds 80+ biomes, nearly a thousand new items and blocks, reimagines The Nether, etc. It also adds some extremely nice shader options to give dynamic lighting, shadows, sunbeams, water effects, the whole nine yards. I have put thousands of hours into it at this point, if you want chill exploration, it is 100% what you're after. I recommend grabbing a compatible copy of Xaero's minimap and worldmap, currently at work so I can't link the pages but I'm sure the pages that show up on Google have compatible archived versions as well.

Here is an imgur gallery I made a while ago with a bunch of screenshots: Life in the Woods https://imgur.com/gallery/yD2DVnp

Here's a couple examples, the island below was surrounded by MASSIVE oceans, ringed around its outer edge by volcanoes and in the center of it were mangroves and a small rainforest. But the sight of it appearing on the horizon in the middle of the night, illuminated by lava, was a real sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I will second Dragon Quest Builders 2. It is a very chill experience, and has a massive 8 hour + demo so you can try before you buy.