Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Behringer still isn't done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XofTuxGghuM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Heck that's about what I paid for my rodded-out MPC1000.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Seriously $700 is cheap as hell for that feature set. Bonkers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Philthy posted:

I think it looks fantastic - especially at that price point! I'm not sure why people are knocking the storage. It has 2GB on board and an SD slot. I don't know what the limitations are on that, but they do make 1TB SD cards these days. My Digitakt only has 1GB to play with and I've loaded it with SO MUCH CRAP and it's only like 5% full (Mono, but still..). The only thing I'm not entirely sure about is that the workflow is more like a DAW that you're trying to get away from with hardware. It might be TOO deep.

For batteries everyone just uses Anker battery packs and ripcords for all their synths these days. You can run them for like 8+ hours.

I don't think it's usb powered, and there's no battery power at all. It looks like only the power adapter will power it. So its "portable" but can't be used "on-the-go" like the MPC live can.
And yeah, the MPC software is full featured, but it is complicated and menu dive-y as gently caress. I would have bought the live like a year ago but I tried one out in the store and I spent most of my time going "lol where the gently caress is everything and why do none of the pads make noise?"
It's definitely almost TOO much especially if all you want is sampler/sequencer.
I think I like the ONE's layout more than the Live though.

MrSargent posted:

This looks like the perfect MPC for my needs. I have been looking at the MPC Live, but I really didn't need all of the features it came with and people have mentioned that its not as portable as it looks. Can't really justify spending $700 but that's not a bad price.

Again. It's totally portable. It's not terribly large, it's a bit thick yeah but it's still packpack-sized. 10"x10" vs the MPC Live's 16"x9"
You just can't use it without AC power to plug it into.

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

rickiep00h posted:

*nod*

Honestly at Sweetwater they live for systems-building poo poo. Most of 'em, anyway. As long as you get a good sales engineer, you're golden no matter what you're looking to buy.

Just got off the phone with them and my dude was very nice, helpful, and took off an amount that I was happy with. Thanks again for the pep talk! Can't wait to be sucked into a terrible enabling cycle.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't think it's usb powered, and there's no battery power at all. It looks like only the power adapter will power it. So its "portable" but can't be used "on-the-go" like the MPC live can.

Yah, this is where a ripcord comes in. It is a step-up cable so you can run equipment from a USB Powerbank. Check it out, it literally makes almost everything synthy portable and awesome and good!

The 12V one runs my Digitakt, all my Behringer synths, and my Microfreak. The 9V works for guitar pedals, you just need a polarity reverse adapter (Depending which one you get- i think they make all kind of sizes and polarities) ($3).

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 18, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stabbing Spork posted:

The circuit is a great tool. I'm not really a fan of the synth engine, but as a drum machine, sequencer and a tool for writing music it's amazing. Being able to create multiple patterns and chain them together helps to get you out of just creating 4 bar loops and into creating songs.

I was browsing some patches last night and I have changed my mind about the synth engine at least after listening to what others are doing. The built in patches are quite poor really.

I wrote a bass line and ran it into the bass station II, gently caress it sounded good. the circuit couldn’t compare.

building your own patches for the express
purpose of choosing the macros to use when controlling other synths .. that would be worthwhile

I’m thinking however I might need to move the bass station II on though, as cool as it is I really need to recover some of the $$ in it unfortunately. the circuit is a far more flexible bit of kit. if I get another synth some time I suppose it won’t have a keyboard, now that I’ve seen what’s happening with launch pad and circuit like devices

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Philthy posted:

Yah, this is where a ripcord comes in. It is a step-up cable so you can run equipment from a USB Powerbank. Check it out, it literally makes almost everything synthy portable and awesome and good!

The 12V one runs my Digitakt, all my Behringer synths, and my Microfreak. The 9V works for guitar pedals, you just need a polarity reverse adapter (Depending which one you get- i think they make all kind of sizes and polarities) ($3).

They make ones for 19 V, 3.42 A, center-positive?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Philthy posted:

you just need a polarity reverse adapter .

Lol I recently bought an old used Faderport, that didn't come with a power adapter for the motorized fader. In my reading I discovered that it uses exactly the same voltage and plug size as Boss (and most other) guitar pedals, but with the polarity flipped. There are photos online of fried motor boards, and stories of people trying to get a replacement adapter at their local music store only to be told that they only carry the negative tip ones for guitar pedals.

I eventually got mine off Amazon.

Those ripcords are neat, though, and would make it more laptop-portable.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Synthesis tools question - whats out there to generate triggers/CV from audio input?

Line or modular level are both workable and eurorack would be ideal but I'll take what I can get. Euro levels for cv/triggers would be cool (10vp2p) but again willing to work with whats out there.

I am mostly looking at generating a drum beat type thing from a musical input, without being totally sure what the music will be beforehand. So like if I played the amen brother loop it would output 6 (or maybe 8-10 if I turned up the sensitivity) triggers. Or if I played a disco song with a heavy kick it would output 4 triggers. Again, doesn't have to be perfect - an envelope follower that had a trig out would maybe get me there?

Something that senses tempo and outputs a clock would also work for me here.

Both of these are a total blind spot - I'm gonna search a little bit but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything like them (DIY would be ideal)? Or am I in the PureData realm? Thanks y'all!

e: lol it looks like thats pretty much every eurorack envelope follower (generates triggers from input) so let me ask instead - does anyone have any recommendations?

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 18, 2020

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

JamesKPolk posted:

Synthesis tools question - whats out there to generate triggers/CV from audio input?

Line or modular level are both workable and eurorack would be ideal but I'll take what I can get. Euro levels for cv/triggers would be cool (10vp2p) but again willing to work with whats out there.

I am mostly looking at generating a drum beat type thing from a musical input, without being totally sure what the music will be beforehand. So like if I played the amen brother loop it would output 6 (or maybe 8-10 if I turned up the sensitivity) triggers. Or if I played a disco song with a heavy kick it would output 4 triggers. Again, doesn't have to be perfect - an envelope follower that had a trig out would maybe get me there?

Both of these are a total blind spot - I'm gonna search a little bit but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything like them (DIY would be ideal)? Or am I in the PureData realm? Thanks y'all!

e: lol it looks like thats pretty much every eurorack envelope follower (generates triggers from input) so let me ask instead - does anyone have any recommendations?

Donno if it helps but I immediately thought of this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IyJb37ElHCY

It’s a little more complicated than just an envelope follower because maybe you want snare sounds to trigger a snare, kick for kick, etc.

As far as sensing bpm I have no idea.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

You probably won’t get sensible results from recorded music with an envelope follower. Even busy drum beats, like the amen, are probably stretching it. Look up transient detection algorithms and be prepared to work with fourier transforms and other mathy stuff if you want something as universal as you’re hinting towards. Doing it in real time is likely even more difficult.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If you're good with a soldering iron and a brain, setting up a small comparator module should be pretty easy. Following that with a counter and a demultiplexer would give you a repeating sequence of individual triggers. Stereo source, comparator, Boolean operator would deliver with even more flavor. 20-30 dollars in cmos or ttl chips, opamps, switches, jacks and passives.

You should be able to do that or the bandpass method with an Axoloti.

http://www.axoloti.com/product/axoloti-core/

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Chenghiz posted:

Donno if it helps but I immediately thought of this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IyJb37ElHCY

It’s a little more complicated than just an envelope follower because maybe you want snare sounds to trigger a snare, kick for kick, etc.

As far as sensing bpm I have no idea.

Oh wow this is really cool, I might try to copy them if I don't end up seeking one out. Appreciate the link - definitely the direction I'm headed, more-so than I think I realized I could go.

Mr. Dick posted:

If you're good with a soldering iron and a brain, setting up a small comparator module should be pretty easy. Following that with a counter and a demultiplexer would give you a repeating sequence of individual triggers. Stereo source, comparator, Boolean operator would deliver with even more flavor. 20-30 dollars in cmos or ttl chips, opamps, switches, jacks and passives.

You should be able to do that or the bandpass method with an Axoloti.

http://www.axoloti.com/product/axoloti-core/

Both interesting ideas! Liking the comparator thing a lot - the Axoloti always felt like an attention black hole (though curious if you/anyone have different opinions or experiences)

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It took Mr. Dick two days to get all the pots, cv and trigger ports wired and buffered.

If all the blocks you need for your device are in the library, patching together functions is pretty quick. The problem Mr. Dick ran into was his total inability to code his own blocks.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

I am expecting to see eurorack scale replicas of Kieth Emerson’s modular rig sprout up like weeds.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Novation Components thing for patches is hardly intuitive, it seems difficult to swap individual samples and patches from packs you've found off the internet.

I'm also not so sure with my Circuit, the pads, it's easy to have them pull-off while I am still on them, a few at least. If I wiggle my finger on a couple of the keys the deactivate and activate over and over rapidly. I don't think it's right.

What's the standard to be expected here?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

echinopsis posted:

The Novation Components thing for patches is hardly intuitive, it seems difficult to swap individual samples and patches from packs you've found off the internet.

I'm also not so sure with my Circuit, the pads, it's easy to have them pull-off while I am still on them, a few at least. If I wiggle my finger on a couple of the keys the deactivate and activate over and over rapidly. I don't think it's right.

What's the standard to be expected here?

Yeah, I don't use the patch bank, I always save my patches as individual .syx files on my hard drive.

Circuit pads are known to have some contact issues. I've seen folks recommend flipping the unit upside down and giving it a sharp tap to loosen any dust (?) under there. Their support team (spares@focusrite.com) is friendly, too.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I’ve decided to sell the Waldorf Q Rack; still dope, but I get my fix for VA and wavetable poo poo from software these days.

I was going to spend that money on a Wavestate. But, maybe I should get a Subsequent 25? The two are so different that there’s no way to compare them. I just have to listen to my loins.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Edit: I’ve been doing some Googling with conflicting info, but let me know if this definitely not ok. 1 Spot says max 1700mA, but one volca takes 1700mA! They all power on and operate fine, however, is it unsafe? I see that other people are doing this online.

———————————————

All these Korgs are using one power outlet using a 1 Spot.

For the volcas and Monologue I needed polarity and barrel adapters. The Electribe SmkII was fine connected directly to the 1 Spot without those things.

If you’re interested in doing something similar, and want to get the right polarity and barrel adapters, here are some Amazon links:

Polarity adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EBG5QE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Barrel adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MM1MD7C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 18, 2020

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

JamesKPolk posted:

I mean if you have a lot of money to burn the monstrosity you're looking for is this: https://4mscompany.com/smr.php

It's a multi-band-filter that does envelope outs for the various bands (among a whole bunch of other things) but in theory it's intended to feed audio into and filter/trigger at different bands.

Otherwise you could approximate it for a specific band with audio -> bandpass filter -> envelope generator, or multiple bandpass filters if you want some complexity.

The most I've ever done was cheating a sync before I had a midi sync for my eurorack by hard panning a click track on a drum machine and using that track on its own into a clock divider to get the modular matching bpm. Didn't need an envelope generator and worked well enough but that wasn't a complicated track.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I’ve decided to sell the Waldorf Q Rack; still dope, but I get my fix for VA and wavetable poo poo from software these days.

I was going to spend that money on a Wavestate. But, maybe I should get a Subsequent 25? The two are so different that there’s no way to compare them. I just have to listen to my loins.

i would think that if you're using software and a daw, then it would be easy to track four (or more) layers and automate fading between them, even with a wider variety of sources than what the wavestate offers (ie, true analog, granular, etc) and maybe bounce them if you need the resources

whereas subsequent 25 wouldn't have a software substitute. plus the moog quality seems nicer vs lightweight plastic wavestate

but ofc its all about the loins

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

drat bummed nobody announced a new affordable polysynth at namm

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
And one more from Behringer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Wbwt34i3Q

As you can guess it's an original take on rhythm sequencing and synthesis to... just kidding, it's a 606.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pillow Face posted:

i would think that if you're using software and a daw, then it would be easy to track four (or more) layers and automate fading between them, even with a wider variety of sources than what the wavestate offers (ie, true analog, granular, etc) and maybe bounce them if you need the resources

whereas subsequent 25 wouldn't have a software substitute. plus the moog quality seems nicer vs lightweight plastic wavestate

but ofc its all about the loins

These are all good points. Just using Pigments 2.0 with the new sample engine in round robin mode gets you some of the way there in terms of the Korg's sequences.

I like how easy it is to automate everything in the Moog from within a DAW using their plugin. Listening to demos, the Moog sounds like how I expect a Moog to sound. I think it would really up my bassline game, though I wish it had some kind of simple arpeggiator or sequencer; I'll probably end up controlling it from the OP-Z, but in that case, it might as well be a desktop module with no keyboard. Maybe what I should really be looking at is a Minitaur.

The Korg seems kinda dumb, but I really just love the broke-rear end 90s straight-to-video soundtrack poo poo that it seems geared toward. I could see myself just spending hours mashing my ham hocks on that keyboard and randomizing the patch.

Edit: did anyone post this Erica Synths desktop bass unit yet? https://youtu.be/CDalimq5SvI

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 18, 2020

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

stillvisions posted:

I mean if you have a lot of money to burn the monstrosity you're looking for is this: https://4mscompany.com/smr.php

It's a multi-band-filter that does envelope outs for the various bands (among a whole bunch of other things) but in theory it's intended to feed audio into and filter/trigger at different bands.

Otherwise you could approximate it for a specific band with audio -> bandpass filter -> envelope generator, or multiple bandpass filters if you want some complexity.

The most I've ever done was cheating a sync before I had a midi sync for my eurorack by hard panning a click track on a drum machine and using that track on its own into a clock divider to get the modular matching bpm. Didn't need an envelope generator and worked well enough but that wasn't a complicated track.

Oh, this is quite interesting... Out of my retail range for this project but just by virtue of being in Portland these are not hard to trade for. I played with it and used it a lot like a Moog resonator but it didn't even occur to me I could be doing rhythmic things. Also their poo poo is at least open sourced, if not... easy/convenient.

Good Sphere posted:

Edit: I’ve been doing some Googling with conflicting info, but let me know if this definitely not ok. 1 Spot says max 1700mA, but one volca takes 1700mA! They all power on and operate fine, however, is it unsafe? I see that other people are doing this online.

I doubt a volca runs that much power, that's just what the power supply ... supplies. This is very common. Analog synths are rarely drawing over 100-200mA, digital 300-500mA. Exceptions obviously but like. In general synthesis is a pretty low power operation.

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

Shart Carbuncle posted:

The Korg seems kinda dumb, but I really just love the broke-rear end 90s straight-to-video soundtrack poo poo that it seems geared toward. I could see myself just spending hours mashing my ham hocks on that keyboard and randomizing the patch.

and I was just coming here to say how much I instantly fell in love with this garbage, it sounds so lush

I should be so happy with the current crop of screamingly affordable analogue synths, and yet it's this jrpg soundtrack-rear end piece of plastic that's making me contemplate spending stupid money

ETA:

MockingQuantum posted:

If just interacting with it and turning knobs gives you satisfaction, then that's great! Keep doing that and if it's genuinely important to you that you put together an album or EP or score a short film or video game or whatever, I guarantee you'll gravitate in that direction naturally. When I started out, I really got bombarded with well-meaning advice to make sure I was actually completing songs and mastering them and releasing them or whatever, which is generally good advice if your end goal is to produce and distribute music which just isn't the case for everyone. It kind of made me a worse, less productive perfectionist than I already was, because I was holding myself up to a standard that was both unrealistic and unfit to my actual goals. That said, I was young and dumb and desperate so it might have worked out for someone a little more level-headed than me.

This is from a ways back, and it's a fantastic post. The fixation on 'everything you do must be professional/monetized to be worth it' can be desperately unhealthy. There is real loving value in doing something entirely for your own pleasure, because you enjoy it, and finding satisfaction in the doing of it, rather than the presentation of it. The hours you spend supposedly loving around are just as real as anything else.

Getting into the cycle of COMPLETE SONGS / RELEASE SONGS puts a failure state on being creative, which sucks. Turns out it's far easier to work on music that you love when the goal is making music you love, not shoving out an EP because it's the only metric that counts.

96 BELOW THE WAVE fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 19, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sometimes I just set up a random-note patch on the Mother 32 and let it play for a couple hours because I'm a weirdo like that and just enjoy the ambient-lite minimalism of it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

rickiep00h posted:

Sometimes I just set up a random-note patch on the Mother 32 and let it play for a couple hours because I'm a weirdo like that and just enjoy the ambient-lite minimalism of it.

yeah, what kinda freak does this poo poo with an east coast synth? yaint even got no voltage controlled function generators 😈

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

stillvisions posted:

And one more from Behringer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Wbwt34i3Q

As you can guess it's an original take on rhythm sequencing and synthesis to... just kidding, it's a 606.

I don’t think they got the hats and cymbals right. Which is a shame, because the 606 is the greatest sounding drum machine of all time

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

JamesKPolk posted:

I doubt a volca runs that much power, that's just what the power supply ... supplies. This is very common. Analog synths are rarely drawing over 100-200mA, digital 300-500mA. Exceptions obviously but like. In general synthesis is a pretty low power operation.

Unfortunately it didn’t meet my expectations. It provides enough power for the draw, but it creates noise. Seems from what I’ve heard, this has to do with daisy chaining on the 1 Spot. I need to have Isolated power.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

byob historian posted:

yeah, what kinda freak does this poo poo with an east coast synth? yaint even got no voltage controlled function generators 😈

I mean, there is an ability to generate a random -5V to +5V cv per step so at least it's not tied to notes? Heh? Heh heh?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

gently caress sequencers, drone/harsh noise wall.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Is the classical music jam still going on? I did a crunchy lofi take on some Bach with some eurorack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-igSlRbogs

Sequencing: Nerdseq
Sound sources: Twin Waves, Manis Iteritas, 3x prOk Drums
Filters: Sinc Bucina, Three Sisters, Cinnamon
FX: Mimeophon, Freez, Kompressor
+mixers, envelopes & VCAs

Yesterday when working on this piece my Soundcraft EFX8 mixer crapped itself and let out some magic smoke. Mixing on the modular kinda sucks when you don't have any stereo mixers and have gotten used to the convenience of per-track EQs and sends. I might get the just-announced Tascam Model 12 as a replacement/upgrade. It seems to suit my needs pretty well where the mixer is primarily for jamming but then if I want to work on a track in a DAW I can record the individual tracks without a hassle either on an SD card or via USB (as an audio interface).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Hahaha Behringer just announced their 2600 clone. Who the gently caress is gonna but a $3500 Korg now

https://youtu.be/uY7WFWQ-Exc

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7emjmahfim/

local synth repair guys take

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

rickiep00h posted:

I mean, there is an ability to generate a random -5V to +5V cv per step so at least it's not tied to notes? Heh? Heh heh?

the ody did all that (well it had a 0-9V power supply)

you should get a sport modulator :twisted:

voltage control of envelopes was the main reason i went modular tho so ymmv

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

byob historian posted:

you should get a sport modulator :twisted:

I should get money that allows for more than what I already own, which is a M32 and a DFAM and that's it.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

toadee posted:

Hahaha Behringer just announced their 2600 clone. Who the gently caress is gonna but a $3500 Korg now

https://youtu.be/uY7WFWQ-Exc

They've already sold out. Sounds like Behringer either tipped off Korg for their release date or Korg somehow found out; collector model sells out, cheap model available. Hell depending on IP Korg might even be getting a licence fee from Behringer (though it's unlikely given how old everything is, and they'd never admit it if they did because it'd be a tacit admission that it's the same).

Still can't say it's a giant draw for me yet - maybe I'm just missing the specific nostalgia on the 2600. I'd love to get a good analog bass synth sometime; everyone's making GBS threads on the Moog Sub 25 but it's tempting (I was just eyeing a sub phatty before that), or just get the Poly D. Maybe the 2600 price point will be tempting since it apparently does that very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

j.peeba posted:

Sequencing: Nerdseq
Sound sources: Twin Waves, Manis Iteritas, 3x prOk Drums
Filters: Sinc Bucina, Three Sisters, Cinnamon
FX: Mimeophon, Freez, Kompressor

All these things sound like NodeJS packages and I guess there is a direct correlation between the name and how obscure/expensive the module is