Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ROJO posted:

Glad to hear Tesla is still reasonable about tire prices, because they want ~$1000 to replace the original Gen1 TPMS sensors in our 2013 S, because all the batteries in the sensors are failing. And you can't just clear the fault and get on with life.

At least the newer gen ones will actually let you see tire pressures in the UI....

edit: I realize it is actually a decent amount of work to dismount all the tires and the like, it still just irks me. Also, they want $1300 for a windshield replacement for our 2017, which is actually cheaper than the 3rd party options I have found....

It's not THAT much work, they're just gouging the poo poo out of you. Getting a set of new tires mounted is like a couple hundred bucks at most places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jymmybob posted:

It's bad. This is probably the worst I've seen though https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-model-3-delivery-damage-and-paint-quality-issues.182151

Just look at that wheel arch, it's unbelievable.

I'm even more appalled at the defenders.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

It's not that I believe that, just that I don't find the other ones very attractive in either features or looks. Personal preference, I know :).

It's not that I don't necessarily believe you however that response was exactly what I expected. I bet for the majority who say that, they have some dumb hold up that isn't so much personal preference as wrong belief or inadequate research. (they won't be convinced of this though) Pushing in an attempt to figure out if they're just wrong and trying to inform them does however make the attempty look like an rear end in a top hat. Anyway your reason is bullshit you don't need x range you just want the cool trendy Apple EV, who cares about Tesla's oddities anyway it'll make you the envy of the neighborhood!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 19, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, 200 mi range is direct ICE replacement territory, especially with the proliferation of DC quick charging on both coasts.

What do we have now, the Teslas, new Leaf, Bolt, Audi E-tron, Kona, the Jag whatever?

Seems like you can get any features you want from one of those contenders, although I know the Kona has limited availability.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Besides what matters most is color. Bolt wins. Well it did last year when Shock Green was an option. (Which of course I got) Oasis Blue is ok though so yeah Bolt still wins. Well maybe not I'd need to see it in person to make a definite call.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Does the new Leaf do poorly in extreme temps like the old one? I like the looks of it but if I were ever in the market that'd be a major hangup

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Does the new Leaf do poorly in extreme temps like the old one? I like the looks of it but if I were ever in the market that'd be a major hangup

The whole throwing the CEO that championed the Leaf in jail without a trial indefinitely has put advancement on hold, lol. He escaped but Nissan and him are done. I forgot the important part, no. They can't sell the factorys that make the time bomb batteries.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Duck and Cover posted:

Besides what matters most is color. Bolt wins. Well it did last year when Shock Green was an option. (Which of course I got) Oasis Blue is ok though so yeah Bolt still wins. Well maybe not I'd need to see it in person to make a definite call.

The Hyundai Kona comes in acid yellow.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Yeah. I lurk the forum as part of due diligence (other part entertainment) for customer satisfaction since I'm the quality manager of a Tier 1 supplier to Tesla, among others (I'm also the PSCR if you're familiar with automotive madness). Prior to that I ran a surface finishing company and have done the same training that OEM bodyshop management does so I'm incredibly familiar with what goes on there. I was so offended professionally that I couldn't help but touch the poop.

It gives me a deep, deep sense of dread just looking at those pictures. I've set up automated paint systems and that paint coverage is literally the biggest yikes I've ever seen on a car that didn't kill someone.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I bet Tesla is still getting people to manually spraygun those cars.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Evil Robot posted:

Anybody have any experience with the paint on the Model 3? I'm hearing horror stories of peeling/problems and of the millions of Model 3s I see in SoCal, most of them look terribly dirty compared to other cars I've seen.

I don't want to spend $50k on a car with a worse paint job than a $20k Civic (I've got an '07 and it still looks fantastic in the sun).

Fwiw, I’m on my second winter in northern NY with a red one and have had no problems. I wash it in the garage every few weeks with a rinseless wash and it gets all the salt and poo poo off no problem with just a couple gallons of water.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Godholio posted:

The dweeb going "heh maybe you're just a Ford guy" and the other going "well they do OTA updates!" Are loving ridiculous.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The defenders of Tesla in that thread are just wow. Paint matters, especially if you aren't going to take care of it. If it's thin and lovely to begin with, there is nothing to work with when the next owner wants to fix the super scratched paint from you not washing the car enough / properly. Judging from the many "just off lease" cars I've seen for sale - getting the paint back to decent or better is going to be a 20-40h+ job because of all the mistreatment.
For California owners - look into something like Optimum no rinse. Pretty safe for the paint if properly used, and minimal water use.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 19, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The scary thing about nooks and crannies being unpainted is what happens after the second winter on salted roads.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

There's two model 3's in my parent home town, my Dad's and one of his friends and the paint quality between the two is pretty significant. Dad's is decent, no terrible orange peel or anything else. The other one looks like it was someones first paint job. Orange peel everywhere, waves and runs. They were ordered and delivered within a couple weeks of each other but no idea on build dates.

With the model Y rolling out latter this summer, supposedly, do people think there will be a glut of used model 3's for sale? I've been looking at used Volts, Bolts, etc but what I really want is a model 3.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I bet Tesla is still getting people to manually spraygun those cars.

In an outside tent no doubt lol. This makes Avante motors proud.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Probably a decent number of 3s getting out onto the market soon. But prices will still be high, lots of potential buyers just waiting for a little price reduction. And a decent number of 3-owner/Y-buyers will be additions instead of replacements.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrOnBicycle posted:

The defenders of Tesla in that thread are just wow.

TMC is the worst automotive forum I’ve ever had the displeasure of coming across. VWVortex circa 1999 had a greater concentration of knowledgable posters and meaningful content.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

NitroSpazzz posted:

With the model Y rolling out latter this summer, supposedly, do people think there will be a glut of used model 3's for sale? I've been looking at used Volts, Bolts, etc but what I really want is a model 3.

I expect to see the same effect off lease Bolt EVs had. For awhile you could get fully loaded premieres for 18k, and now I don't think you can even approach 24k. Might have changed but this was a few months ago.

There probably will be a short glut, once people catch wind of it they'll probably all be snatched up and the price will return to "just buy new" territory.

Edit: Electreck posted pics of Teslas third row model y seats:

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 19, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol what a crock of poo poo, lets cram some extra worthless seats in there so we can tout "third row seating"

At least they put in cupholders for the people with no legs

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
...and the middle 20% bit is crooked.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’d like to get a 7 seater EV but lol that’s ridiculous. Even kids are gonna be cramped as hell.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Smaller three row vehicles are always like that in the back - doesn't look much worse than an Outlander or CX-8 or whatever.

As for paint the Model 3s I've seen locally have all looked okay from the top but I've seen some really crappy Model Xs (new ones too, not early production)

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Yeah that's kind of par for the course for CUVs so i have a hard time faulting Tesla when the whole concept of a CUV with 3rd row seating is bad to begin with.

My model 3's paint is mostly good but there's clearly a couple of places on the interior where they hit with just the primer and missed with the color coat. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me but I also haven't seen any immediate problems with it yet.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

MrOnBicycle posted:

The defenders of Tesla in that thread are just wow. Paint matters, especially if you aren't going to take care of it. If it's thin and lovely to begin with, there is nothing to work with when the next owner wants to fix the super scratched paint from you not washing the car enough / properly. Judging from the many "just off lease" cars I've seen for sale - getting the paint back to decent or better is going to be a 20-40h+ job because of all the mistreatment.
For California owners - look into something like Optimum no rinse. Pretty safe for the paint if properly used, and minimal water use.

Optimum is what I use and it works surprisingly well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Galaxy brain: if you never wash it, you never need to worry about how bad the paint is!

Seriously though, that's totally a problem for the next owner. The vast majority of used car buyers aren't paint and polish fetishists, so I don't see the point in putting the effort and money in just to appeal to them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

Smaller three row vehicles are always like that in the back - doesn't look much worse than an Outlander or CX-8 or whatever.

As for paint the Model 3s I've seen locally have all looked okay from the top but I've seen some really crappy Model Xs (new ones too, not early production)

I don't know about that, I'd have to see some comparison shots but I don't think I've never seen it that bad, there's not even enough room for your ankles.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a 3 row Kia Sorento and it is definitely more foot space in the back row than that photo.

The one thing that sucks is only one side 2nd row goes forward to let people in the 3rd. I just put my 7 year old back there with the other side folded down and he goes in through the rear hatch. Car seats in the 2nd row etc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

A Sorento is a signficantly larger vehicle

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I want an EV that size.

People were saying the outlander and cx-9 third row sucks and it’s in the similar size range though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CX-9 third row is fine for adults IMO but it's a big vehicle, pretty much Model X sized. Outlander is tiny by comparison (a full 15" shorter) and the PHEV isn't available with 7 seats anyway.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

People were saying the outlander and cx-9 third row sucks and it’s in the similar size range though.

The cx-9 rear seat isn't bad and is fine for pretty much anything under an hour for normal size adults. We use ours all time since my daughter still has a massive booster in the second row so when we go out with my parents someone always gets stuck back there.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Godholio posted:

I'm fascinated by how Tesla is essentially a religion for many reddit atheist types, the true believers are bigger fanatics than Apple fans

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

priznat posted:

the model x exists

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I don't think anyone knows how long the model y will be, but if it fits into the compact segment then making it a 3 row is dumb.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just don't get the option if it's not usable. It's not standard

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I mean, a tiny third row for your kids' carseats would be alright, I dunno why everyone assumes that a third row can only ever be used by adults. Most people don't get a third row to haul around full-sized humans, but pets and very small humans with carseats. Yeah the third row is tiny but if you want a full-sized third row buy a loving Suburban or something

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There’s no way you’re fitting a car seat back there, have you ever messed with a car seat?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

stevobob posted:

I mean, a tiny third row for your kids' carseats would be alright, I dunno why everyone assumes that a third row can only ever be used by adults. Most people don't get a third row to haul around full-sized humans, but pets and very small humans with carseats. Yeah the third row is tiny but if you want a full-sized third row buy a loving Suburban or something

Nothing that needs adult assistance is ever going in the 3rd row. The 3rd row is basically emergency seating in everything but the most dedicated people haulers and I hate when reviews of cars poo poo on 3rd row comfort when it's used for like 1% of the car's service. I'm also bitter that every cx9 review is basically about it being by far the best vehicle but they can't fit 15 bags in the bag with the 3rd row up. Well no poo poo it's not huge and that's part of the reason it's so good since it's not built around extreme volume maximizing for brochures a the expense of what it'll be used for the vast majority of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
You definitely aren't getting a car seat in the 3rd row. Thats what the second row is for.