Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

AradoBalanga posted:

I Regardless, be ready to power grind up lance ranks for the people who you intend to put in these class, since all multi-weapon Advanced mounted classes want a minor in lances before you pass the certification.

This is not true. None of the new classes require lances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Considering all the good mages are women besides Hubert a gender lock isn’t a big deal.

Don’t see the point of a mage knight if there’s already dark knight?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
You get the new mage knight class at level 20 instead of 30 and it has range +1 instead of Tomefaire

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

DropsySufferer posted:

Considering all the good mages are women besides Hubert a gender lock isn’t a big deal.

I just don’t like gender locks in general. Plus the classes are probably going to have their own masteries as well.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

the point is that hubert deserves a flying pony and gender locks are dumb

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

DropsySufferer posted:

Don’t see the point of a mage knight if there’s already dark knight?

Hanneman is actually really good on Maddening. No mage is doubling anyway and his spell list is top-notch. Only problem is a lack of a good final class, because he really wants 2x uses of thoron and meteor but warlock’s 4 move is awful.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Smiling Knight posted:

Hanneman is actually really good on Maddening. No mage is doubling anyway and his spell list is top-notch. Only problem is a lack of a good final class, because he really wants 2x uses of thoron and meteor but warlock’s 4 move is awful.

For my games, assuming a normal 10 person deployment, I've settled on a formula that seems to work pretty well:

4 melee
3 casters
2 archers
dancer

The melee is some mix of swordmaster/assassin/warrior/warmaster/falcon knight/wyvern lord, the casters are a mix of bishop/warlock/gremory, and the archers are one bow knight and one sniper.

Women casters get gremory, men casters get dark knight or holy knight respectively.

I'm still slowly poking away at Silver Snow, and pegasus knight Byleth is working out remarkably well.

One question I do have: is there any actual difference between snipers and bow knights aside from the mastery? Or am I better off going for two bow knights?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Outside of the things that make them extremely different in the mastery, no. Sniper is all about Hunter's Volley.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Uh, much more importantly snipers have range +1 and bow knights have range +2.

Sniper should only be chosen for hunter's volley purposes, in all other cases bow knight is better. So, realistically, you should just pass all your snipers as bow knights too so you can have more movement and range when you don't need the volley.

People (me included) often seem to forget that you don't have to pick a "final class" in this game. Reclassing is free and convenient. You can have your mages hop between the mounted and infantry classes too depending on your particular need.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 19, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Bow Knight is basically strictly superior to sniper from a utility perspective.

The downside it has is that it doesn't have growths.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was going to repeat the growths don't matter mantra, but let's actually compare them in this case.

Sniper gives 10% HP, 5% STR, 20% DEX, 10% LCK and 5% CHA. BK gives just 10% HP and 5% CHA, in addition to having negative 5% SPD.

So, the Dex growth hit here is the only one that you might actually feel in practise. It's going to be a 2 point difference over 10 levels (which is what you'll probably gain on average in your master class), which is not nothing. Dex, however, probably isn't a problem stat for your designated archers in the first place.

The Str and Spd have such small differences that it really doesn't matter, and who cares about luck.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Like Clockwork posted:

the point is that hubert deserves a flying pony and gender locks are dumb

Agreed, why can't MByleth or Ferdinand VON AEGIR be a Pegasus Knight? :mad:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

I think the datamine said that Dark Flier is indeed locked to female characters. Mage Knight is the coin flip, since no real confirmation was found on gender locks, except that a test run of a male Mage Knight merely recycled the code assets of the Holy Knight class instead of using new assets.

Regardless, be ready to power grind up lance ranks for the people who you intend to put in these class, since all multi-weapon Advanced mounted classes want a minor in lances before you pass the certification.

mage knight will prob use swords+reason imo

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The four different new classes have the following requirements:
B Sword, B Faith
B+ Brawl, C+ Faith
B+ Reason, C Flying, Female
B Reason, B Riding, Female (?)

They all apparently share a new separate promotion item, akin to the Dark Seal.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I would have assumed Trickster to be bow/magic instead of a sword user. Also, poor Hubert.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
this game has too much "boys beat people with sticks, girls use magic" bs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

not a bot posted:

I would have assumed Trickster to be bow/magic instead of a sword user. Also, poor Hubert.

Trickster has been fairly iconic as a Levin Sword class since Gangrel and Anna in Awakening.

Amppelix posted:

I was going to repeat the growths don't matter mantra, but let's actually compare them in this case.

Sniper gives 10% HP, 5% STR, 20% DEX, 10% LCK and 5% CHA. BK gives just 10% HP and 5% CHA, in addition to having negative 5% SPD.

So, the Dex growth hit here is the only one that you might actually feel in practise. It's going to be a 2 point difference over 10 levels (which is what you'll probably gain on average in your master class), which is not nothing. Dex, however, probably isn't a problem stat for your designated archers in the first place.

The Str and Spd have such small differences that it really doesn't matter, and who cares about luck.

Like to be clear I think that Bow knight is just strictly better than sniper and was mentioning the only downside.

Of the final classes on my GD maddening run I think everyone is going to end up as a Gremory/Wyvern Lord/Bow Knight because of how insane those classes are.

Oh apart from Leonie who I'm going to try an Astra/Lethality build on.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Can you recruit Hilda on BE

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

Yes, but on a very specific moment. If you don't pick Edelgard, you can recruit her after Edelgard betrays Garreg Mach but before the timeskip hits.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

If you go church you can.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It’s also the game with Edelgard, Hilda, Petra, Ingrid, Catherine, and punch-queen of my heart Seiros

But they are exceptions to the rule, yeah

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Speaking of, sniper is pretty important if you want your bow user to do some punching on the side.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

Speaking of, sniper is pretty important if you want your bow user to do some punching on the side.

You can dismount and have 6 move as a bow knight while still doing this.

The merit of sniper over bow knight is entirely in Hunter's Volley, which in particular can give the brave effect to killer bows and magic bows. The latter offers one of two brave-effect magical attacks in the game, the other being with the aura knuckles.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

please drive by post "BLOOD PACTS" in the FE thread

BLOOD PACTS

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

nah it's "boys punch people". only 2 gender exclusives are war master and gremory

can't even remember whether there are others in the base game

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

This is must be the plot of the DLC

https://twitter.com/beefbulgogi/status/1218771149720416256?s=20

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, it's a drat shame that the added dlc characters largely conform to that.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It’s also the game with Edelgard, Hilda, Petra, Ingrid, Catherine, and punch-queen of my heart Seiros

But they are exceptions to the rule, yeah

They are by and large the speedy striker archetype though. I think only Edelgard is built to take hits and keep on trucking. The game really needed an Effie type, just a woman with abs of steel who dared you to hit her before ruining your day.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

The game really needed an Effie type, just a woman with abs of steel who dared you to hit her before ruining your day.

Catherine and Hilda.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I was just noticing this with the DLC squad too. I always hate recognising this pattern in stuff i like.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Catherine and Hilda.

They are both strong units but Effie is basically a female Dedue.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Catherine and Hilda.

They don't have the def growth to be an Effie at all. They are good fighters but Hilda is closer to Caspar, while Catherine is closer to Petra in being a dodge tank. Effie was a knight base so actually made to tank like Dedue or Raph. Effie just ruled because she also had ludicrous strength growth and not just defensive stats.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Leonie has the best female defensive growth rate at 40%, only Raphael and Dedue have more, on par with Alois and Dimitri.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Caspar wishes he was as good a unit as Hilda

Boy just can’t ever hold the line for me

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

HP Str Mag Dex Spd Lck Def Res Charm
55% 45% 25% 45% 45% 40% 30% 20% 25% - Caspar

50% 45% 25% 30% 50% 35% 35% 20% 50% - Hilda

They have fairly comparable growths but yeah Caspar never seems to hit his.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Casper is always weird for me as about midgame he starts to slow down but then during the last few chapters he becomes a complete monster.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Eimi posted:

HP Str Mag Dex Spd Lck Def Res Charm
55% 45% 25% 45% 45% 40% 30% 20% 25% - Caspar

50% 45% 25% 30% 50% 35% 35% 20% 50% - Hilda

They have fairly comparable growths but yeah Caspar never seems to hit his.

Caspar starts with 1 less strength and 2 less speed, which makes a world of difference at the start. Caspar also can’t rely on lances (and especially Tempest Lance) to carry him early on. Gauntlets are really bad at low levels; they need a good amount of strength before they take off.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Just getting her on a wyvern does wonders for a struggling Hilda, and while I am sure you can do that with caspar, it's really easy to do for Hilda.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a game where anyone can be anything so trying to decide which genders have more of what class is pretty fruitless, and even if you went by 'canon' classes/people's general trends/growths its still way better about this than basically any other fe game besides fates

remember the gba trilogy where the only woman with double digit con was vaida and only four women across three games could use axes

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Personally I liked the tradition of pegasi being for girls because it was nice to see girls get something genuinely cool and interesting all to themselves. : ) But I'm down with 'make everything for everyone'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I had to rewind time on the CF endgame because Cyril kept on killing Caspar with his drat brave axe. I eventually sent Petra to agro him because she can dodge anything that isn't a gambit.

In my current playthrough I'm training him as a wyvern rider and giving him a brave axe.

Manic_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 19, 2020