Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The projection does a good job preserving both distance and azimuth, at the cost of really exaggerating how many South Americas there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want a map that shows all of our conflicting claims with the Canadians at the maximum. Big spiky Maine with all the islands, the parts of the Louisiana Purchase over the parallel, the Pacific Northwest at 54 40, all of it. An alternate universe where only our claims on Canadian land were upheld.
Ugh reality's already close enough to this, because the Brits kept caving to American demands in the Pacific Northwest. Canadian disappointment in the British with the Oregon treaty and the San Juan islands was a significant factor in pushing for Confederation.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

escapegoat posted:

:britain::britain:

Ptolemy-2nd Century CE :hist101:

What's the big olive in the middle of the cancerous growth up north supposed to be ?

(also while I'm sure it's based on Ptolemy, I doubt the map itself is from the 2nd century - that font is at least 8th century, although judging by how clean it is and how black the ink is I'd guess 14th)

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Kobal2 posted:

What's the big olive in the middle of the cancerous growth up north supposed to be ?

(also while I'm sure it's based on Ptolemy, I doubt the map itself is from the 2nd century - that font is at least 8th century, although judging by how clean it is and how black the ink is I'd guess 14th)

Comparing to the next map maybe Hadrians Wall and the Antonine Wall? Looks like its maybe Caledonia or similar just to the north of it. Might make sense to call out defensive lines at the edge of empire on a map?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s labelled right above it, “Caledonia Silva”, a woodland.

quote:

Next to the Damnoni, but more toward the east near the Epidium promontory are the Epidi and next to these the Cerones; then the Carnonacae, and the Caereni but more toward the east; and in the extreme east dwell the Cornavi; from the Lemannonis bay as far as the Varar estuary are the Caledoni, and above these is the Caledonian forest, from which toward the east are the Decantae, and next to these the Lugi extending to the Cornavi boundary, and above the Lugi are the Smertae; below Caledonia are the Vacomagi, among whom are the following towns:

Interactive

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends how you measure it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Get out. Now.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I like this idea but limiting it to the Lower 48 is dumb

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's much easier to stick to the contiguous states, but it would be cooler if the map went over all the overseas possessions.

Or if the east coast was split up by which monarchs acquired it for Britain.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

A bad map. Clearly the Malvinas and Argentine Antarctica should be green on both sides.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Apostrophe placement on the map on the right is killing me, god drat.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

The opportunity to troll Uruguay was right there

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Random Imgur find.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Powered Descent posted:

Random Imgur find.

Well at least we Floridians are honest with ourselves.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

These seem like pretty typical rivalries, California's got a pretty big fallout zone, Massachusetts is the bad boy of New England, the rest of the northeast likes to pick on Jersey, but what the hell is South Carolina's problem with Ohio?

And then Hawaii and Jersey make me suspect that this was all made up. I wonder who Puerto Ricans and DCians hate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
can confirm TX and NY

Ohio is a pretty typical second place hatred for a lot of places- it's the most visited and least remarkable of the unremarkable northwestern states.

Chili pasta, knockoff Kentucky, and knockoff rust belt. Doesn't have Chicago. Isn't Minnesota. No Fargo. In a license plate war with North Carolina

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 18, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hate the 25 states or whatever that didn’t make the list, you guys suck the worst

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ikasuhito posted:

Well at least we Floridians are honest with ourselves.

We know we're terrible and that puts us above, say, Texas.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

can hella confirm KS/MO, Kansans are still upset that protoconfederates like Quantrill burnt swaths of the land down such that the zone up to 100mi south of Kansas City was called "Burnt District", Missourians are still mad that John Brown went around killing their slavers/arming slaves

like all things American, it's most pronounced in college sports rivalries, to the extent that the NCAA sometimes talks about putting us in different conferences

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jay Rust posted:

I hate the 25 states or whatever that didn’t make the list, you guys suck the worst

just you wait until my team plays your team

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

At least Connecticut doesn't hate itself. That's what I would have guessed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Numerical Anxiety posted:

A bad map. Clearly the Malvinas and Argentine Antarctica should be green on both sides.

This but unironically.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SlothfulCobra posted:

These seem like pretty typical rivalries, California's got a pretty big fallout zone, Massachusetts is the bad boy of New England, the rest of the northeast likes to pick on Jersey, but what the hell is South Carolina's problem with Ohio?

And then Hawaii and Jersey make me suspect that this was all made up. I wonder who Puerto Ricans and DCians hate.

SC hates Ohio because a lot of Ohioans vacation at Myrtle Beach for some reason.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
There are also a lot of Ohio transplants to SC, enough that this exists:

The stereotype is they can't stop talking about back "home"/"north". I haven't encountered that personally.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a ton of ohio/rust belt transplants move south for the climate and job market. the people from ohio are so annoying and the state of south carolina so void of anything else, that the relative power of ohioans in south carolina cross a threshold point. ohioans are less noticeable in georgia and north carolina

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019
I'm surprised Indiana is listed as hating Kentucky more than Illinois. We loving despise Illinois in my part of the state, but have no particular beef with Kentucky and generally have high opinions of Michigan and Ohio.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would've thought Ohio's would be Kentucky or Indiana, but I also don't care about sports and I guess Michigan is a football thing?

West Virginia also sucks but is beneath notice.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I would've thought Ohio's would be Kentucky or Indiana, but I also don't care about sports and I guess Michigan is a football thing?

The Michigan/Ohio rivalry occurs in all college sports these days but the origin is probably in the Toledo War.

e: The Toledo War is the most Midwestern thing. A lot of poo poo gets talked but nothing actually gets done due to alcohol and incompetence and then they quit because it got too expensive. If you were to toss in some racism there you'd feel a hypothetical Midwestern national anthem playing deep in your soul.

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 19, 2020

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

MinisterSinister posted:

We loving despise Illinois in my part of the state, but have no particular beef with Kentucky and generally have high opinions of Michigan and Ohio.

That sounds about right. I can certainly confirm in Illinois any time something turns out poorly one can always say at least we're not Indiana.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Soviet Commubot posted:

The Michigan/Ohio rivalry occurs in all college sports these days but the origin is probably in the Toledo War.

e: The Toledo War is the most Midwestern thing. A lot of poo poo gets talked but nothing actually gets done due to alcohol and incompetence and then they quit because it got too expensive. If you were to toss in some racism there you'd feel a hypothetical Midwestern national anthem playing deep in your soul.

And the reward was the winner got to keep... Toledo.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MinisterSinister posted:

I'm surprised Indiana is listed as hating Kentucky more than Illinois. We loving despise Illinois in my part of the state, but have no particular beef with Kentucky and generally have high opinions of Michigan and Ohio.

I don't know why Kentucky is listed as hating Tennessee. No one here gives a poo poo about it. Indiana is the state everyone absolutely despises.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like the loser dodged a bullet

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sounds like the loser dodged a bullet

Since the "loser" got the Upper Peninsula, I'd say so.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

natural borders or bust

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

To be fair, both sides anticipated a canal going from the Ohio River to the Maumee River and thus to the St. Lawrence Seaway to be a very lucrative economic endeavor. The Miami and Erie canal was completed in 1845, just in time to compete with railroads and dooming the whole project to a very Rustbelt abandonment.

saintonan posted:

Since the "loser" got the Upper Peninsula, I'd say so.

Copper mining in the UP started right about when the Miami and Erie canal was finished and ended up producing about 11B tons of copper over the next century, which I'm sure made certain Michiganders at the time pretty smug about their "loss".

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Soviet Commubot posted:

Copper mining in the UP started right about when the Miami and Erie canal was finished and ended up producing about 11B tons of copper over the next century, which I'm sure made certain Michiganders at the time pretty smug about their "loss".

And that doesn't even count the iron ore on the way to becoming Pennsylvania steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006