Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/modernistsoc/status/1216429302767636480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Labour promises to equip all 200+ year old pubs with a set of robotic spider legs to crush property developments.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Braggart posted:

Here's a nice bit of Royal-to-commoner interpretation from that article:

i'm not a supporter of nuclear weapons, but a bombardment and annihilation of everyone in this country is very appealing.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

just read a 20 part twitter thread about the state of labour that concludes brexit hosed us and be wary of the soft left. i mean i do not think that needed 20 tweets tbh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1219004908617306112?s=20

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Labour promises to equip all 200+ year old pubs with a set of robotic spider legs to crush property developments.

Hannu Rajaniemi had the right idea with his Jean le Flambeur trilogy.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

hard to believe anyone could feasibly consider Neil Kinnock 'hard left', but that's liberalism for you

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Mortal Engines is off to a good start, then.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

mehdi hassan needs a new grift

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

I regret to inform you it's now a Sam Smith's pub. What the IRA couldn't destroy that shitshow of a brewery managed.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Plank Sanction posted:

I regret to inform you it's now a Sam Smith's pub. What the IRA couldn't destroy that shitshow of a brewery managed.

Still one of the best trad pubs in town and the cheapest place to get a pint in the city centre by a mile

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Have there ever been any UK politicians who have openly said anything to the effect of "kick the royal family out, take their lands, force them to be private citizens and remove all royal processes from all government"?

Outside of like, India I mean, I'm talking specifically in the borders of the UK, more points if they're from England

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
He's no longer an MP but Dennis Skinner for sure

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
UKMT Solidarity and Support Fund Committee Membership Voting Results

Selected:

AceClown
Captain Fargle
Maugrim
OscarDiggs
Rarity

Thanks all who stood and voted, love you <3

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

pablo gbscobar posted:

Still one of the best trad pubs in town and the cheapest place to get a pint in the city centre by a mile

I used to love Sam Smiths, but I just can’t support a man who closes a pub and makes the landlord & lady homeless and redundant because he overheard a customer telling a dirty joke.

Absolute bastard, and it’s far from the first time he’s done poo poo like that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Send Children. The souls for me, the bodies for Andrew"

:eyepop:

Red Oktober posted:

I used to love Sam Smiths, but I just can’t support a man who closes a pub and makes the landlord & lady homeless and redundant because he overheard a customer telling a dirty joke.

What a genuinely astonishing degree of cuntery.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Jose posted:

raping kids is standard royal behaviour unlike marrying a woman of colour

anyway lmao

https://twitter.com/TwisterFilm/status/1218634932551065601?s=20

Gone already, what was it?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah, if you've noticed too the pubs have 'no phones/laptops/other tech' signs that the staff are strictly instructed to enforce. poo poo place to work. Also the guy's a massive homophobe.

I wonder how he managed to fire those guys though, surely that's breaking some kind of employment law.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Red Oktober posted:

I hope he either fucks off or dies soon, I quite like Sam Smiths pubs. I'd also prefer to know what he looks like so I can call him a oval office to his face.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Red Oktober posted:

What loving business does a puritan have running a brewery?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I wonder how he managed to fire those guys though, surely that's breaking some kind of employment law.

He can probably get away with it. Firing the staff would be obvious unfair dismissal, but if he's completely shutting down the pub then it's redundancy which is much easier to do.

He could get in trouble if the pub reopens in a month or two with new staff though.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Red Oktober posted:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...hdog-probe.html

quote:

Shaming of Britain's most secretive boss: Brewery chief fined £30,000 for fobbing off watchdog probe

The secretive owner of one of Britain's oldest breweries has been fined after telling a pensions watchdog that its request for vital documents was 'tiresome'.

Humphrey Smith, 73, the controversial owner of Samuel Smith Old Brewery, wrote back to pension's regulator with a 'deliberately inflammatory', when asked for the crucial paperwork regarding the savings of 2,000 workers.

Samuel Smith Old Brewery, which was formed in 1758, had been told by the Pension Regulator (TPR) in 2015 to prove it was earning enough money to support the final salary pension schemes.

But Smith, who is the hereditary ruler of the Yorkshire brewing empire and is rarely photographed, wrote back: 'We are in receipt of your tiresome letter and we are not prepared to divulge the information to your organisation.'

In response the Regulator launched court proceedings accusing the company of neglecting or refusing to provide information and documents without a reasonable excuse in breach of Pensions Act 2004.

Smith was charged with the same offence on the basis that as owner and chairman of the company he consented or connived in failing to hand over the documents.

Both the company and Smith pleaded guilty to the offence at a hearing in May, and yesterday both were hit with fines totalling £26,750 and costs of £1,240 when they were sentenced at Brighton Magistrates' Court.

Hereditary ruler of Yorkshire brewing empire considers himself above the law and fires people for blatantly spurious reasons like someone completely unrelated swearing while telling a joke. Great country where the local lord can come down and completely rearrange people's lives for no reason and then gently caress off back to his castle. Also he can't be bothered to obey the law so he just hands over the equivalent of a year's earnings for a lesser peon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bornfugly/status/1219021508741419010

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

What loving business does a puritan have running a brewery?
It's that or furniture making.

I think H. Smith is just a twat tho.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Strikes me as flexing for the sake of flexing.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Mourning Due posted:

Gone already, what was it?

With, as per the replies as I cannot fairly comment, extremely hetero dancing. (And all of about 4 people in shot, not exactly a packed event)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Those women?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Strikes me as flexing for the sake of flexing.

That's exactly what it is, between that and the other article posted where he described a request from the pensions regulator as "tiresome", this is just old-fashioned "I have power, you do not, and I will exercise that power purely to demonstrate it".

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Braggart posted:

Hereditary ruler of Yorkshire brewing empire considers himself above the law and fires people for blatantly spurious reasons

And what was the joke so filthy they shut down the pub?

The aristocrats.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hey friends. I've been aggressively ignoring all news and current events since the election, so I apologise if I'm asking something that you're all fed up of answering but: is there a good, concise summary of the Brexit deal anywhere I can read to get an idea of what will change and to decide what I should prepare for? (Like, when do I need to start keeping an eye out to avoid the fabled chlorinated chicken?) Are we still getting a transition period before anything substantive happens?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TACD posted:

Hey friends. I've been aggressively ignoring all news and current events since the election, so I apologise if I'm asking something that you're all fed up of answering but: is there a good, concise summary of the Brexit deal anywhere I can read to get an idea of what will change and to decide what I should prepare for? (Like, when do I need to start keeping an eye out to avoid the fabled chlorinated chicken?) Are we still getting a transition period before anything substantive happens?

Transition period until the end of the year, after that nobody knows as there's no deal in place yet afaik

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Transition period starts at 2300 on the 31st, everything else is still up for grabs at that point.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

pablo gbscobar posted:

So many better pubs serving such better beer. Even Wetherspoons. gently caress Smith and his lovely chain.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Plank Sanction posted:

So many better pubs serving such better beer. Even Wetherspoons. gently caress Smith and his lovely chain.

Yeah spoons might be owned by an rear end but even Tim Martin is less of an rear end than Smith, and you can swear and text to your heart's content

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/gordonmaloney/status/1219190895616176130

Everyone's commenting on how he sounds like he thinks singing is just not taking a breath between words and mumbling but nobody wants to talk about how he clearly doesn't know how to play guitar ether.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Everyone's commenting on how he sounds like he thinks singing is just not taking a breath between words and mumbling but nobody wants to talk about how he clearly doesn't know how to play guitar ether.

Who is this guy?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's like Gregorian chanting mixed with a 1980s sitcom theme tune mixed with a big bucket of poo poo :laugh:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Toxic Mental posted:

Have there ever been any UK politicians who have openly said anything to the effect of "kick the royal family out, take their lands, force them to be private citizens and remove all royal processes from all government"?

Outside of like, India I mean, I'm talking specifically in the borders of the UK, more points if they're from England

Anyone ever wonder what the country would look like if the Restoration had never happened?

Like, the answer is probably "a hereditary Puritan theocracy" because there is always more and it is always worse but imagine living in the three hundred and seventy one year old Commonwealth of Britain.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Puntification posted:

Who is this guy?

Yeah can someone please clarify. Is this the man who was racist on question time? Because I'd never seen it heard of him before this week, and I'm an active consumer of bad detective shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Miftan posted:

Transition period until the end of the year, after that nobody knows as there's no deal in place yet afaik
So Boris' Oven-Ready Deal™ has gone into the bin? Not surprising I suppose.

Thanks all!