Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I remember Fates just kinda low key dropped a male peg knight on you super early in the weaboo route and it took me a second to realize that Subaki was the first male peg knight in any FE game I'd played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like the peg knights being female only thing just because it's series tradition and it's not like guys are struggling for options. And seeing a serious, all female unit like how the peg knights were presented in FE9/10 was seriously interesting, Tanith was a great character.

Like, I guess you could read it as 'oh no, it's too ~gay~ for a guy to do that,' but considering like, male healers, herons, and light mages exist it's kinda hard to read it that way except in a vacuum. It'd be sort of fun to get an old grizzled male war vet guy who's a pegasus knight, like a Tauroneo or a Wallace who's a pegasus knight instead of a general, but it's not that big a deal.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
as edelgard would say

traditions are meant to be broken

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

More brickshithouses like Effie.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

blessed image

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

General Morden posted:

as edelgard would say

traditions are meant to be broken
Sure but its a tradition i like

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tae posted:

Leonie has the best female defensive growth rate at 40%, only Raphael and Dedue have more, on par with Alois and Dimitri.

Def growths are pretty poor across the board for everyone compared to previous games

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I just don't want people to disregard that girls getting something cool and interesting all to themselves can be positive and maybe we shouldn't rush to take it away. Like Endorph says, it's not like guys are struggling for options.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 19, 2020

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Manatee Cannon posted:

nah it's "boys punch people". only 2 gender exclusives are war master and gremory

can't even remember whether there are others in the base game

Male exclusive classes are Brawler, Dark Mage, Hero, Grappler, Dark Bishop, and War master.
Female exclusive classes are Pegasus Knight, Falcon Knight, and Gremory.

Let Lysithea be a got dang Dark Mage and Dark Bishop! Let Sleepy Boi be a Gremory!

And let me love Hapi. I am already deeply in love with Hapi. Halp.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Its cool that girls have a thing, but otoh, Hubert, specifically, should get to fly a horse

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Junpei Hyde posted:

Its cool that girls have a thing, but otoh, Hubert, specifically, should get to fly a horse

An acceptable compromise! Also there is no justification for having Gremory, Dark Mage, or Punch classes be gender locked.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Why is hero exclusive,

has anyone actually used hero

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Innate vantage could probably let you pull off some silly stuff if you put in the effort to Voltron together everything else you needed.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Tae posted:

Why is hero exclusive,

has anyone actually used hero

I used it for Byleth on a NG+ because I thought the outfit looked cool

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gender roles suck, and as such, gender locking sucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Peg knights are cool because they can get outside of gender roles, tho. Tanith is a serious, experienced commander with a sharp tongue who rides a pretty flying pony and leads a squad of women. Thats fun, to me.

Pegasus Knights are vital lesbian representation and I will not have them gentrified by Subaki, a man who doesnt even know how to spell his own name.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

But the only default Peg Knight in this game is the straightest woman in this game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

But the only default Peg Knight in this game is the straightest woman in this game.
Ingrid and Dorothea hosed and then Ingrid went to confessional and never spoke to her again, and then 13 years later Ingrid saw her photo in her old yearbook and cried. Buy a prius. This ad has been made with the support of GLAAD.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The most damning thing about Hero is that, since weapons aren't actually locked to classes, compared to Swordmaster you're losing 10% Spd growth in exchange for... 5% HP. Literally everything else statwise is the same - Hero probably should have gotten some more Def growth as well to differentiate it. Plus, while you could try and do something gimmicky with Vantage, in normal practice it's just not good - particularly compared to just a flat +10% (sword) crit. So unless you're forcing Vantage to work, Swordmaster is actually better at axes than Hero too (to say nothing of the actual axe focused classes).

Also, for dedicated archers I just use Pegasus/Falcoknight. Much better stats and growths, and the maps generally have enough impassable terrain that in practice you actually have more range - safer too - than even Bow Knight with its +2 attack range. And when you need to challenge an enemy archer there's both Aurora Shield or you just stab them in the face.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

Ingrid and Dorothea hosed and then Ingrid went to confessional and never spoke to her again, and then 13 years later Ingrid saw her photo in her old yearbook and cried. Buy a prius. This ad has been made with the support of GLAAD.

This does not in any way contradict what I said.

This is a very gay game. Ingrid can do all that and still be the straightest by comparison.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

This does not in any way contradict what I said.

This is a very gay game. Ingrid can do all that and still be the straightest by comparison.
Did you buy a prius

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hellioning posted:

This is a very gay game.

I just wish I particularly liked any of the f/f options for Byleth. Dorothea's the only one I can stand any sustained contact with, and even she is only in the set of characters I basically like but don't love.

Meanwhile, Annette, Marianne, Catherine, Petra, and Shamir all have ambiguously-to-explicitly romantic endings with other women but aren't interested in Byleth and I like them all a hell of a lot more than the actual f/f options.

It's probably my single biggest frustration with FETH's story and characters.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Like Clockwork posted:

the point is that hubert deserves a flying pony and gender locks are dumb
exactly
also flying mounts are hilariously broken compared to horsey mounts.

although, if they're absolutely married to gender-locked stuff, I'm imagining Hubert riding a big-rear end wyvern, throwing out dark magic and having an absolutely stellar time.

he's a massive chuuni, he deserves a fire-breathing dragon.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Cythereal posted:

I just wish I particularly liked any of the f/f options for Byleth. Dorothea's the only one I can stand any sustained contact with, and even she is only in the set of characters I basically like but don't love.

Meanwhile, Annette, Marianne, Catherine, Petra, and Shamir all have ambiguously-to-explicitly romantic endings with other women but aren't interested in Byleth and I like them all a hell of a lot more than the actual f/f options.

It's probably my single biggest frustration with FETH's story and characters.

This problem could be solved by simply not having an avatar character.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

Peg knights are cool because they can get outside of gender roles, tho. Tanith is a serious, experienced commander with a sharp tongue who rides a pretty flying pony and leads a squad of women. Thats fun, to me.

Pegasus Knights are vital lesbian representation and I will not have them gentrified by Subaki, a man who doesnt even know how to spell his own name.

All women squads would totally not get to exist without letting women have peg knight to themselves and it would be a loss. Let us have a girls club! It's okay for men to not get literally everything.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

remember griffon riders

those were cool

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Bring back Griffon Riders, and Malig Knights.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

remember griffon riders

those were cool

Griffons are always cool. More of them is good.

Blaziken386 posted:

exactly
also flying mounts are hilariously broken compared to horsey mounts.

although, if they're absolutely married to gender-locked stuff, I'm imagining Hubert riding a big-rear end wyvern, throwing out dark magic and having an absolutely stellar time.

he's a massive chuuni, he deserves a fire-breathing dragon.

I'm now imaging Hubert and Camilla having a meet up. It is glorious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

capitaldelendaest posted:

This problem could be solved by simply not having an avatar character.

It actually doesn't, the closest you'll get to "gently caress everyone" option is dragon age 2 and do you really want that

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I mean, if there is not a character that is a player self-insert who dates people, it's not a thing. We can have romantic paired endings without having a player participate in them, and it takes away the 'why can I not be gay with Shamir if she can be gay with Catherine' question, because no one is 'I'. Catherine and Shamir can still be gay together.

Without acccomadating self inserts, the story can be stronger as well. I don't actually think this will happen, it's clear having a player insert is very popular and that's fine.

I'm not sure how it brings it closer to DA2 territory, DA2 very much has a player avatar character who fucks everyone, I am suggesting not doing that, rather having the story be around the pre-existing characters and just letting their relationships be between each other, rather than something the player participates in.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I love Caspar very very much. He never lets me down.

e: wow if anyone needs Leonie supports, it's him and Linhardt

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like it mostly for letting me play a female protagonist without getting locked into Edelgard's story (since I see her and Rhea as both evil).

I might not have bought the game if the only way to play the sides I see as good guys was to play as a guy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you see edelgard as evil you dont deserve to play this video game

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

eating only apples posted:

I love Caspar very very much. He never lets me down.

e: wow if anyone needs Leonie supports, it's him and Linhardt

Use Wild Abandon instead

Coward

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I'm proposing you don't 'play as' anyone, though. I get that this isn't as popular, but when playing PoR I didn't feel I was 'playing as' Ike, just participating in his story. Or have an avatar character who is only as present as the one in Blazing Sword, letting their be a token amout of self insertion but keeping all the writing and focus on actual characters. Personally, I'm not here for the player romance thing and I feel every story (with the arguable exception of awakening) that has to accomadate a player insert has suffered in terms of writing quality for it.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Endorph posted:

if you see edelgard as evil you dont deserve to play this video game

People should stop falling over and over again for Cythereal's bait.
It's not even good or novel bait, it's just "Edelgard bad (occasionally give a reason)" and then the thread gains three dozen more replies in like ten minutes. Rinse and repeat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

capitaldelendaest posted:

I'm proposing you don't 'play as' anyone, though. I get that this isn't as popular, but when playing PoR I didn't feel I was 'playing as' Ike, just participating in his story. Or have an avatar character who is only as present as the one in Blazing Sword, letting their be a token amout of self insertion but keeping all the writing and focus on actual characters.

I approach role-playing games very differently than you do. I play games to get involved with the story, not to follow along some random schmuck unless it's a schmuck I can identify with and like.

Straight up, if this game was a choice of playing as Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude, I'd have left it on the shelf.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

One thing I share with Cythereal is I don't enjoy if there isn't a major female character in the story. Like PoR is still fun but I don't enjoy it as much as Sacred Stones because well there's Eirika. It's the biggest reason I like avatars even if I would be fine if the story wasn't about them. I just want to have a female character to be 'me' so I have a major woman in the story. Like take Valkyria Chronicles, I think that game series has a lot fun ideas and novel combat but having a male main character is legitimately a drag for me. It's a dumb personal thing but an avatar character gets around that issue and then it's up to writing to use them well. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think avatar characters restrict the writing in awful ways and also make people focus on things in really silly ways (for instance framing this game's gay rep around who byleth can get with while ignoring all the non-byleth content), so I think the games are better off without them. You can still have a main character whose gender you can choose, just make them an actual character with normal dialogue in conversations and don't frame scenes as them being 'you.'