Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Did the interview today. Went okay but definitely not my best.

One of those classic panel public sector interviews. 4 people total. 2 seemed to love me, 1 seemed mildly positive and 1 was agnostic (mildly annoyed?). That last person was the person that manages the position lol.

So yeah, probably not going to get it.

Still good practice, and felt nice to even been called in for this sick position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

Dork457 posted:

Should I even bother with tech recruiters? Multiple firms have pointed me at a single listing that I unceremoniously received a rejection letter from on new years. If I don't even know where I'm being applied to and when would I be better off just going on by myself?

I had more offers through recruiters then I would have gotten on my own. They can help you get a foot in the door by "pre-vetting" you before the company. I was able to get a couple in person interviews pretty easily. That said some recruiters are just looking to get you placed rather than a good fit. Or offer contract to hire...

Lockback posted:

On the other side I have hire a lot through one firm where I have a really high % of people they sent me vs I've interviewed. They've took their time to actually figure out what I'm looking for and generally find the right types of profiles. They are way better than any other that I've used.

So if you're using sucky ones, you can also try your hand somewhere else.

Also, using a recruiter shouldn't preclude you from looking for jobs on your own.

Always good to hedge your bets by spreading your resume around. When I was let go I had 3 recruiters looking for jobs (they each knew there were others so I wasn't hiding anything) and I still applied myself to places. Ended up getting a job from a previous coworker I happened to run into on the street. Just goes to show how important networking is. (Even in a large city)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I didn’t realize how much I wanted this second job until I left. It’s in a much better location that feeds into my long term goals.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I didn’t realize how much I wanted this second job until I left. It’s in a much better location that feeds into my long term goals.

So, worth the interview?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

CarForumPoster posted:

So, worth the interview?

Not really for this specific incident, because I did a poor job.

But absolutely as a general strategy. Agree with this thread that it’s almost always positive expected value.

Wishing the rest of this thread all good goon luck in their job hunts of 2020.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 3, 2020

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

I start a new full time permanent position this coming Monday! Thanks all for taking the time to review my resume before I started shopping it around.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019
I recommend applying and interviewing at least once a year of not a few times. Its good practice and you might just like the company/culture/job/pay better then what you have curentlly.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I just started an online application for a customer service management position in a gym. After spending over an hour targeting my resume for this role then uploading it, and filling in their form which basically requires me to repeat everything in my damned resume again I get to the bottom of the form and it has a request to upload a three minute video answering questions about "tell us how you will delight our customers". Then after that there's a 25 question survey asking things like "will your referees attest to your face to face sales ability?" and THEN after all that it says "you may notice that we're not asking you for a resume yet because it is not possible to gauge a person's awesomeness from a resume." Except that it asked me to upload one right back at the beginning.

I did all their stupid questions, but skipped the video upload then there was another eight question survey about personal attributes to fill in. On LinkedIn it's showing that no one has applied for the position yet - which is unsurprising. I've never applied for anything before that has required so much information just to apply :argh:

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

bee posted:

I just started an online application for a customer service management position in a gym. After spending over an hour targeting my resume for this role then uploading it, and filling in their form which basically requires me to repeat everything in my damned resume again I get to the bottom of the form and it has a request to upload a three minute video answering questions about "tell us how you will delight our customers". Then after that there's a 25 question survey asking things like "will your referees attest to your face to face sales ability?" and THEN after all that it says "you may notice that we're not asking you for a resume yet because it is not possible to gauge a person's awesomeness from a resume." Except that it asked me to upload one right back at the beginning.

I did all their stupid questions, but skipped the video upload then there was another eight question survey about personal attributes to fill in. On LinkedIn it's showing that no one has applied for the position yet - which is unsurprising. I've never applied for anything before that has required so much information just to apply :argh:

There are a few companies out there that do video analysis for applications for customer service roles... Though that seems like a lot of work for a single application...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There's a lot of companies out there with completely unrealistic expectations about what they can expect from an employee. Stuff like that or paying entry-level wages for a job that requires a degree and a couple years experience. Usually its a red flag that the company in question is one you wouldn't want to work for anyway unless you're desperate for any job whatsoever

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There's a lot of companies out there with completely unrealistic expectations about what they can expect from an employee. Stuff like that or paying entry-level wages for a job that requires a degree and a couple years experience. Usually its a red flag that the company in question is one you wouldn't want to work for anyway unless you're desperate for any job whatsoever

Which is definitely why comparing salary for same/similar roles in other companies is very important when switching jobs. I find that Linkedin and Glassdoor are good for that when I'm double checking salary and such.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Went back a few pages and didn't see anything posted, so asking away. I have colon cancer, and just started chemo, so I am still feeling out how its going to work. I have been marking that I have a disability on the page that allows you to say, but I am wondering if I am doing myself a disservice by doing it. I feel like I should be bringing it up for a couple of reasons. First, if I get an in-person interview, I have a colostomy that is really loving obvious, even with a suit on. Like one side of my stomach sticks out a lot and the other side doesn't at all. It looks weird, and I have gotten over my own personal hangups with it, but if I don't say anything I feel like they will think its weird. Second, if I come across as someone who is staring cancer in the face with my middle finger raised there can't be much that will faze me with work. Confidence equals success, or so I think.

Seems to be a mixed bag online, and I get the downside. Why hire a guy who has a disability that will cost the company money, when we can hire someone that doesn't. It would be really easy to say they had more qualified candidates, so its not like I could say my disability affected their decision to not hire me.

I am going to be doing chemo once every two weeks for the next six months. The jobs that I am applying for are all outside sales/outside sales management, so the ability to make my own schedule is a plus for chemo. I talk about being open to weekends, early mornings and evenings, so even carving the three hours I need during the week doesn't mean I can't work 40+ hours.

So two questions, should I not disclose on the form, and should I bring it up in the interview? Thanks, everyone.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
First off, my sympathy for what you're going through, but no pity because it looks like you are beating the poo poo out of cancer with an aluminum bat. So keep doing that.

Second, you should feel no obligation to disclose, unless for some reason not doing so would be a danger to yourself or anyone at the prospective workplace. It doesn't sound like it.

Third, A colostomy bag would simply be politely ignored in almost any interview setting. There are tons and tons of reasons why someone might have it and the vast, vast majority of employers would just not mention it. So again, don't let that be a reason for what you should or shouldn't disclose. I don't think most people would make a thing out of it.

Fourth, I'd like to think I would look past a chemo program when considering a candidate, but unconscious bias is a real thing. I've had 2 employees go through cancer treatment, 1 was a pretty quick chemoless process(but was a possibility that I was working with her on planning), and one guy in a remote office who I didn't even know was going through treatment until he completed chemo, so I agree completely that it really shouldn't be a significant impact, but it'd be hard to completely ignore.

So all that said I think I would personally just not mention it unless it comes up, but ultimately your choice. You may want to test waters on how flexible your employer might be around different hours, because even if they have to give you the time a more flexible workplace is a better fit for your own sanity and well-being. Without knowing your field, if there is some demand for what you do disclosing it would also allow you to have a more frank conversation and get expectations set both ways. So kind of, do you want to err on finding a good fit for your treatment or increase your odds of landing a job? It's a legit question.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
When people mention things that are ADA protected in an interview unprompted I can’t help but see a little red flag. I wouldnt mention it.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

Lockback posted:

Lots of really good points.

So kind of, do you want to err on finding a good fit for your treatment or increase your odds of landing a job? It's a legit question.

Thanks. It was scary at first, but I've got a good support system and good medical staff.

The main thing I am looking for is a place to grow. My last couple of sales jobs were multi-state or national territories, but with small companies, so the only way you move up is if someone leaves, and opportunities never really came about. My sense is that most outside sales can be fit in with treatment especially if I start my days early, end late, make myself available for any travel if needed, etc., all of which I am willing and able to do.

The chemo treatment will only last six months, so after a couple of bouts of radiation and a surgery to reconnect my large intestine I will be the same as always, and I don't want to get in a company that will be the same as I have been dealing with, so I guess land a job that I want, and work the treatment out later. Great question that I hadn't thought of. Thank you.

CarForumPoster posted:

When people mention things that are ADA protected in an interview unprompted I can’t help but see a little red flag. I wouldnt mention it.

Good to know. I was wondering about that. I see a lot of end paragraphs about a dedication to hiring a diverse community that includes people with disabilities, but like Lockback said, unconscious bias is a real thing.

Thank you both.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mr. Toodles posted:

Good to know. I was wondering about that. I see a lot of end paragraphs about a dedication to hiring a diverse community that includes people with disabilities, but like Lockback said, unconscious bias is a real thing.

Thank you both.

Its not about bias or possible lost work or anything like that. My concern is that they're establishing a basis for a lawsuit from the time of the interview. Employment lawsuits from people who spent less than a month on the job are pretty common, particularly in certain areas, and I work in one of those areas. There are sadly people in this world like Patricia Kennedy who abuse the ADA.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

CarForumPoster posted:

Its not about bias or possible lost work or anything like that. My concern is that they're establishing a basis for a lawsuit from the time of the interview. Employment lawsuits from people who spent less than a month on the job are pretty common, particularly in certain areas, and I work in one of those areas.

Sounds like you work in a area that makes a habit of ignoring their legal obligation to comply with the ADA.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Baronash posted:

Sounds like you work in a area that makes a habit of ignoring their legal obligation to comply with the ADA.

The derail begins...

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

Its not about bias or possible lost work or anything like that. My concern is that they're establishing a basis for a lawsuit from the time of the interview. Employment lawsuits from people who spent less than a month on the job are pretty common, particularly in certain areas, and I work in one of those areas. There are sadly people in this world like Patricia Kennedy who abuse the ADA.

Ugh. That sucks. My original thought was to bring it up, because I want to get across that I am the exact opposite of the Patricia Kennedys of the world, that its not a crutch. But, I can totally see how a business can't know that and can be fearful that someone is going to come in and try to make a quick buck.

Didn't mean to start a derail. I am glad to get your opinion, because I never thought about how this might be viewed by an employer up until this point, and I never would have thought of the lawsuit angle.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mr. Toodles posted:

Ugh. That sucks. My original thought was to bring it up, because I want to get across that I am the exact opposite of the Patricia Kennedys of the world, that its not a crutch. But, I can totally see how a business can't know that and can be fearful that someone is going to come in and try to make a quick buck.

Didn't mean to start a derail. I am glad to get your opinion, because I never thought about how this might be viewed by an employer up until this point, and I never would have thought of the lawsuit angle.

I actually rethought what I said and think it might be bad advice in your case. IDK what the right answer is for you since it does actually impact the times you could do sales repping. Most of the physicians I know interact with reps either when they bring them lunch or at shows/events. It seems like an easy thing to make an accommodation for, no idea if you should disclose it.

Sorry about your cancer dude that is loving rough.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

CarForumPoster posted:

IDK what the right answer is for you since it does actually impact the times you could do sales repping. Most of the physicians I know interact with reps either when they bring them lunch or at shows/events.

This is exactly why I personally wouldn't bring it up. You're just opening yourself up to some rear end in a top hat in the hiring process who is going to go "nah, no way they can be an effective sales rep if **some bullshit**" and tune you out.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

Thanks for the advice. I have a phone screen tomorrow for a dental dealer rep position, so I will keep it under wraps. I did, stupidly, check the "Yes, I have a disability" box online when I applied, but that was before I posted here. I have dental sales experience already, which probably got me in the door, now it's just keeping quiet about it so I don't get shoved right back out.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't see this covered in the OP anywhere, please smite me if I'm just dumb and can't read.

I don't have anything as far as (listable) educational background or experience in something like Computer Tech Support (or even just regular office jobs it feels like). Would any of you list stuff off of places like Coursera, Skillshare or Lynda on resumes in order to try and meet the qualifications gap that my resume seemingly can't clear? It likely doesn't help that all of my work background is in the labor or service industry

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Luna Was Here posted:

Didn't see this covered in the OP anywhere, please smite me if I'm just dumb and can't read.

I don't have anything as far as (listable) educational background or experience in something like Computer Tech Support (or even just regular office jobs it feels like). Would any of you list stuff off of places like Coursera, Skillshare or Lynda on resumes in order to try and meet the qualifications gap that my resume seemingly can't clear? It likely doesn't help that all of my work background is in the labor or service industry

Usually as skills not education. So if you took Coursera courses on Python, you should list Python at whatever proficiency you feel you are at. I guess it depends on the qualification gap, if they say they need a Bachelors, then no that doesn't count.

I wouldn't list online courses as education unless you go through a MOOC or something, but even then I'd probably be clear that is a certification.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
At what age and at what point would you consider moving jobs frequently to be a red flag?

After my graduate degree I went 1-year, 3-year, 1.5-year, and now just started a new job.

Luckily, each transition has a good reason (if I’m asked); I accomplished the major project I was hired to do.

Each transition has been a significant pay increase. I don’t make a lot, so moving up the pay scale early is important.

I figure once I’m... mid/late 30s, I should stop jumping so frequently.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

At what age and at what point would you consider moving jobs frequently to be a red flag?

After my graduate degree I went 1-year, 3-year, 1.5-year, and now just started a new job.

Luckily, each transition has a good reason (if I’m asked); I accomplished the major project I was hired to do.

Each transition has been a significant pay increase. I don’t make a lot, so moving up the pay scale early is important.

Depends a lot. The 3 year one is good, I don't consider that a fast move. I usually also don't really worry about "First Job Out Of College". So this to me looks like "The last job you left kinda fast, otherwise looks pretty normal".

If a job was really for the life a project, you can put that in a resume.

Head Toilet Brush Cleaner- Was responsible for cleaning brushes for the project running from Nov 2017-Mar 2019. Project was successfully launched with automated toilet brushing in Mar 2019.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

Depends a lot. The 3 year one is good, I don't consider that a fast move. I usually also don't really worry about "First Job Out Of College". So this to me looks like "The last job you left kinda fast, otherwise looks pretty normal".

Agree. 5 one year jobs are bad. A 1 a 3 and a 1 that you’re currently at are good.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

Usually as skills not education. So if you took Coursera courses on Python, you should list Python at whatever proficiency you feel you are at. I guess it depends on the qualification gap, if they say they need a Bachelors, then no that doesn't count.

I wouldn't list online courses as education unless you go through a MOOC or something, but even then I'd probably be clear that is a certification.

Thanks for this. Should I bother listing individual metrics like wpm, specific skill sets or just say <skill>: <proficiency term>?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

CarForumPoster posted:

Agree. 5 one year jobs are bad. A 1 a 3 and a 1 that you’re currently at are good.

How long should I stay at my current position?

The next jump is likely to be another significant income jump, and get me to a point of financial stability.

And my timeline is a bit different than what you posted.

1. Grad School
2. Job 1 - 1 year
3. Job 2 - 3 years
4. Job 3 - 1.5 Years
5. Job 4 - just started

I guess 2 years would be safe.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

Thanks for this. Should I bother listing individual metrics like wpm, specific skill sets or just say <skill>: <proficiency term>?

I feel like WPM is a super old measurable, but I dunno. If you are seeing postings that mention it I guess. Usually I go with Skill:<level>, be prepared to back it up.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The next jump is likely to be another significant income jump, and get me to a point of financial stability.

1. Grad School
2. Job 1 - 1 year
3. Job 2 - 3 years
4. Job 3 - 1.5 Years
5. Job 4 - just started

Well, if it's a significant income jump that is probably worth pushing the needle towards "job hopper". Ideally, yeah 2-3 years is probably what I'd want but I'd also understand if the hop came with a clearly better job.

Basically what I see now I wouldn't question at all. If Job 4 is under 2 years, I'd start looking at what was going on, but if I saw a good reason I wouldn't be concerned. If Job 5 and 6 were also short, I'd consider it a red flag.

When I hire someone I really want 3 years out of them, as a general rule. If I see reasons why I wouldn't get that I would take it into consideration. Now, even on balance that might mean I'd still hire them, but it starts to become a "thing".

FYI, this doesn't mean I get mad if I don't get 3 years, it's just the baseline. I need to keep giving them reasons to stay if I want to get that time out of a person.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

1. Grad School
2. Job 1 - 1 year
3. Job 2 - 3 years
4. Job 3 - 1.5 Years
5. Job 4 - just started

Eh the point of movement is a better job that pays better. Don’t stay at a crappy one for resume optics, just consider them as part of the Pros and Cons or when considering your BATNA

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I only think it really matters if you aren't clearly moving upward in some way - whether that's to a bigger/better/higher impact/more prestigious organization, or an increase in responsibility. If you job hop with roughly the same title seemingly at random that's more of a red flag.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

FWIW, I am 34. My history is 10 years, 1.5, just under 2, and currently 2 years (I was working full time in college). I have definitely had it come up a few times in screening calls and interviews, so I would imagine it creates some bias against my resume. I can very easily talk my way around it once I get a live human, the last 2 companies were being prepped for sale. Is it worth putting in Company A (now known as company X) to skirt around that?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

FWIW, I am 34. My history is 10 years, 1.5, just under 2, and currently 2 years (I was working full time in college). I have definitely had it come up a few times in screening calls and interviews, so I would imagine it creates some bias against my resume. I can very easily talk my way around it once I get a live human, the last 2 companies were being prepped for sale. Is it worth putting in Company A (now known as company X) to skirt around that?

Are you saying the company changed names? That should be 1 entry, not 2. Or are you saying the company was being sold which is why you left? If an office closed down or something it's probably worth putting something like "Local office closed after company sale".

In general, even if the company renamed after you left you should put both names in your resume unless you don't want to be associated with the new one for some reason.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Lockback posted:

Are you saying the company changed names? That should be 1 entry, not 2. Or are you saying the company was being sold which is why you left? If an office closed down or something it's probably worth putting something like "Local office closed after company sale".

In general, even if the company renamed after you left you should put both names in your resume unless you don't want to be associated with the new one for some reason.

Yeah, they're one entry, I plan on keeping it that. I knew prior to the sale that it was a thing, hence why I got out. Both of the companies are now brands of a larger company. so I was thinking something like

Company A (now a part of company B)
Date - Date

so yeah, it sounds like we are on the same page. Thank you

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Are they're any guidelines for mentioning citizenship status when applying for jobs? I'm applying for a job at a university in Germany. I live in the USA but also have EU citizenship. Should I mention I have citizenship in the cover letter? I'm worried its a faux pas in some way but I want to let them know that it would probably be way easier to hire me than they would first assume.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I've been always listing it in my cover letter. However, I didn't get a lot of interviews in Europe.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pekinduck posted:

Are they're any guidelines for mentioning citizenship status when applying for jobs? I'm applying for a job at a university in Germany. I live in the USA but also have EU citizenship. Should I mention I have citizenship in the cover letter? I'm worried its a faux pas in some way but I want to let them know that it would probably be way easier to hire me than they would first assume.

Typically something like "Eligible to Work in EU" or the like. You don't need to mention citizenship straight away but work eligibility is always fine.

FYI, it's really hard in general to find work in the EU from outside the country to job is in. University might be different though, but I'd definitely recommend using any reference/inside man/etc as you can.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Lockback posted:

Typically something like "Eligible to Work in EU" or the like. You don't need to mention citizenship straight away but work eligibility is always fine.

FYI, it's really hard in general to find work in the EU from outside the country to job is in. University might be different though, but I'd definitely recommend using any reference/inside man/etc as you can.

Thanks, that's a good way to put it. I was just worried I'd potentially be volunteering one of those "do not ask" discriminatory questions and making it a legal mess for the employer. (I'm clearly not a lawyer) The job is a weird super specialized thing I have experience in so I feel I might have a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hello, potentially dumb question ahead. When it says this under the selection criteria on a job advertisement

"Relevant tertiary qualification and/or 2 years’ experience in the X sector"

does it mean that it's ok to have either one of these things? Or does it mean that if you have the qualification, then you must also have the experience? Or does it mean that it's ok if you don't have the qualification as long as you have the experience? I am always confused by this :(