Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Would squads of 3 instead of 4 improve the game or do you guys like 4 people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
it improves it in that you get the random fuckman who has no friends, 1/50 randos are on their first game so it's fun to get them dinners

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
What? Who doesn't like squads of 4?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
You can already select three man squad so I don’t see why you’d need to limit it to three instead of four.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Squad of three plus a random pub is my favourite because I love talking to the pub and essentially interviewing them.

I think pubg plays best in duos though

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

my group never got into apex because we often have 4 around wanting to play, it would really suck if this game did that too

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I mean, the word "squad" has "quad" in it, so what are we even talking about here?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

BCRock posted:

I mean, the word "squad" has "quad" in it, so what are we even talking about here?

Facts.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Way back in the day either in the previous iteration of this thread or maybe the ARMA thread there was a guide on how to properly call out spotted enemies to your squad. Can someone post it? The guys I regularly play with are REALLY bad with the 'THEY'RE BEHIND THE ROCK! BEHIND THE ROCK!! :supaburn:' and I want to share it with them

edit: nvm I googled around a bit and found this: https://tank.rip/calling-out-enemies-95977a0d3996

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 20, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
'guy by me, by me!!!!' and then just unleash full auto is the best callout

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

actually he's by the tree, no no, the tree

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just call out the compass number, what's complicated there? "Dude behind tree at 92", boom everyone knows exactly where he is

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
For the love of God, start with the number and then you can describe a landmark or whatever. Sucks when your teammates are like, "enemies ahead of us behind a rock to the left of the big tree halfway up the hill next to the snowmobile at... ... ... ... ... ... 145 degrees."

Just say the loving number Jesus Christ.

Also set your quick ping or whatever it's called to LMB so we can see where you're shooting.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
"Guys 90, going left to right, halfway up the slope near the rocks past the fuckboy, maybe 150-200 meters... 3 of them that I see" is how everyone should do it basically

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Just shout “I see a guy” and then nothing else.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The best that I hear all the time is ‘to our left’ or ‘to my right’ because that’s really helpful

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Can't talk... looting....

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The best thing to do is just start firing without a word

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Make sure to read off every item you found. Your teammates need to know which backpack you have, not hear footsteps.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The best thing to do is just start firing without a word

Or if you want to be helpful shout "THERE HE IS!" first.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just shout “I see a guy” and then nothing else.

I sometimes add "Near the tree" or "Near the rock"

But only sometimes

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I just always ping at the same time I say the general description. And then my teammates are like, WHERE. Fucker look at the ping on your compass/map combined with the description I just said.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Threat type, bearing, range, altitude, stance/attitude.

The importance of using the hard and soft markers can not be overstated.

Hard markers being the map marker that can give you direction and range, it works out to around 300m and can be placed extremely quickly by tapping the radio message wheel key while looking directly at the intended location. Markers can also be placed using the map if you are in cover or don't have line of sight and have no range limit.
Soft markers being the coloured band on the compass tape at the top of the screen, it gives direction only and can be used by binding quick marker to mouse1 with a passive option on mouse2 or some other key for when discretion should be used to mark.
The main reason these are so important is because your callouts, unless you are a trained professional, will almost always be from your position and not necessarily relevant to your squad mates' position. If you have a wide spread and close contacts, the bearing from you, will not be the bearing from your squad mates. It can easily be 90° difference. Markers, even the soft marker, bind to a position and eliminate a large amount of this error or remove the need for your squad to interpret the callout relevant to themselves, saving time.

Threat types:
For pubg it's mostly going to be dudes. Having some basic terms helps build an immediate threat picture. Contact, Enemy, Vehicle, Boat, Vehicle Type, Plane, Airdrop, Tank, etc. Avoid using terms that sound similar, the most common one is Car vs Kar: use Vehicle to avoid confusion.
Bearing:
The compass tape should be your immediate go to. If you can visualise the direction you are facing and keep track at all times, even better. Octants are fast to use and guide people to where they can see your marker on the tape. Three figure bearings take longer but are also accurate. Use your colour in the callout. Short descriptive terms can also help guide others, such as Rock, Tree, House, Road, River, Hill, but only if they are unique features.
Range:
Assessing range to target is the hardest thing to do. Use terms like Close, Mid, Far to estimate and discuss what those mean with your team. Close is immediate threat, Mid less so, Far not a threat. <100m, 100-300m, >300m respectively as suggestions. Again, using short descriptive terms helps guide people. The next best thing to use to judge range is a technique called Ground to Map. Match what you see in front of you with features detailed on the minimap or map and use the gridlines as measures, they are broken into 100m². You can also use sight pictures in scopes to calculate range using the mildots or other ranging lines, but this is time consuming and takes a long time to learn and be proficient at given the array of sights/scopes available. Hard markers remove the need for this.
Altitude:
Equally important but almost always overlooked when teaching callouts. This refers to the vertical position of the target and you might think you never use it but you probably do. Great for hills and buildings. Use terms such as Bottom of Hill, Top of Hill, Half Way Up/Down (up if target ascending, down if descending), Top Floor, Ground Floor, Floor Number, Roof, Balcony, High/Low (used when flying and target is above or below normal field of view, vertical fov being around 30° of focus). Markers do not help detail altitude so take the time to include it in the callout!
Stance/Attitude:
Use this to describe what the target is doing. Terms like, Aggressive (moving and shooting), Defensive (stationary shooting), Passive (no action), Engaged (they are shooting me or others), Engaging (I am shooting them), Flanking (L-->R, R-->L), Retreating, Advancing or Hot (coming towards caller), Cold (moving away from caller). May include actual character stance, prone targets are hard to spot, if you know it, let everyone know it.

Examples:

quote:

Contact - Squad, North-West - Yellow marker, Close, Aggressive Engaged.
TL;DR: I'm dead. You can quickly assume that 4 dudes ran up on your team mate from the NW and shot them in the face and are now rolling around in the corpse.

quote:

Vehicle, East, Far, Top of Hill, Inbound.
There are dudes coming our way fast from over there.

quote:

Buggy, 210° - Green marker, 200m in Rocks, Halfway up Hill, Passive Prone, Engaging.
1-2 dudes hiding in the hills over there, probably healing after coming in late and I'm going to gently caress them up. The exact range in this call may be deemed extraneous information as the rocks and hill position are likely unique for the direction. Saving time so that you can take that quick shot and make use of their low health is more important than letting your team mates know what to adjust their zeroing to.

quote:

1 Dude, Blue marker, south side of street, Second Floor, Right window.
Note the lack of bearing given as it is most likely inside a town with many buildings and you are all spread out looting. The street can be assumed to be the main road or road relevant to the call as you may all be on the north side. No assumption is made about what the threat is doing as they could be peaking a window to shoot or looting. Having standard names for buildings is for pros, use the markers or maybe say the colour.

Slim Mat fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 21, 2020

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Friends, I just got this game and I am very bad. Is there a goon-approved guide or youtuber who has good tips on how to improve quickly? Please do not tell me to "just keep hot dropping".

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The DPRK posted:

Friends, I just got this game and I am very bad. Is there a goon-approved guide or youtuber who has good tips on how to improve quickly? Please do not tell me to "just keep hot dropping".

Go to the practice range and shoot guns forever. Play cs:go deathmatch. When you hear gunfire, run towards it and attempt to flank/kill them. Action/playing is the only way to get better. It has a pretty high skill ceiling and a lot of the players right now are the ones that have been playing forever, so they are all pretty solid. Good luck!

Slim Mat posted:

Threat type, bearing, range, altitude, stance/attitude.

words

What on Earth is all of this. Just ping it and quickly describe it and shoot the bad guys. Nobody is using any of those words.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What on Earth is all of this. Just ping it and quickly describe it and shoot the bad guys. Nobody is using any of those words.

Yeah but the Arma youtube channel he follows said to!

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 21, 2020

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

100 meg connection on Spectrum, directly connected to my router, proc is only three years old, 1060gtx laptop graphics card, settings are already set to low, with only ultra setting is view distance, 16 gigs of ram. It's really common for most of everyone I know that plays in South Texas.

This game is heavily CPU bound. I went from a 5690K to a 9900K and gained easily 40+ FPS, using the same RAM and same GPU (2070). If you're on a laptop, I wish you the best of luck bro. I imagine it's unplayable though.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015

The DPRK posted:

To improve quickly:
1. The Drop - search for WackyJacky101 on YouTube and learn the fastest technique to the ground. Getting there last means getting shot first.
2. The Guns - this is a game about shooting, you will have to shoot someone at some point. Go to the training range and learn a gun. 5.56 guns are the easiest to handle. Play with grips and barrels to learn how weapon handling changes - generally you'll want Vert Grip and Compensator. Pull down on the mouse to control vertical recoil climb. Stick to 5-8 round bursts. Use single fire at >50m. Crouching reduces vertical recoil a lot. Hip fire is trash, use ADS.
3. The Loot - learn the difference between needs and wants. Gun, vest, helmet, bag...sight - these are things you need, generally in that order. Prioritise position and situational awareness over loot. If you are thinking about looting: don't. Head in the sand usually results in death. Learn how to pick things up quickly, again search YouTube for techniques.
4. The Terrain - learn to peak and use hard cover, use buildings to prevent being shot in the back, be assertive in taking ridges and hills to use as defilade, high ground is usually advantageous, think about what you might have to traverse for the next zone shift to avoid open fields, make your own terrain with smokes, don't lay in the grass - in doesn't render beyond a close distance and you are easy to shoot in the face.
5. The Movement - never don't not stop moving, you'll get shot in the head. Don't lean all day, have a quick look and return, lean again when ready. If you tag someone and you think they are healing, change position to get a better angle to finish them or get them on their next peak. If you get hurt bad and have a way out with cover, move before you get pushed or grenaded, then heal.

Don't hot drop, you are wasting your time. 90% of the game plays out very differently to those situations, so practice the basics and play to endure. Avoid the arenas and land in cities where you can stay in cover while you get the needs. Then move in on local contenders to practice engaging. Dropping in the bush doesn't give you many options to find gear and you can come up short. It is also very frustrating to spend 10-15 minutes distracted by scrounging around for the basics and then coming across well kitted opposition who will waste you. Learn the things that have a low percentage of success and avoid them - this is a game about best practice.

Join the discords to play with others and learn from them. Depending on how "very bad" you are, it might not be worth watching pros or youtubers as you won't understand why or what they are doing. Play to your skill level and watch them once you get better.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Why isn’t PUBG Lite available in the US?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jebediah posted:

This game is heavily CPU bound. I went from a 5690K to a 9900K and gained easily 40+ FPS, using the same RAM and same GPU (2070). If you're on a laptop, I wish you the best of luck bro. I imagine it's unplayable though.

I assume you meant a 4690k, in which case, what motherboard are you using that will allow you to run DDR3 RAM with a 9900k?

WhoIsTheDrizzle
Apr 17, 2006
Hamster Sex.
Enjoy my high flying gliding

https://youtu.be/BDboGgTAKTA

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Regrettable posted:

I assume you meant a 4690k, in which case, what motherboard are you using that will allow you to run DDR3 RAM with a 9900k?

Sorry, 6600K, which is less of a leap but not by much.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Played karakin last night in duos with my buddy and the map was way better than I expected.

Hiding in the tunnels and watching the rat hole as an oblivious team breached in and instantly died to us was great

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Played karakin last night in duos with my buddy and the map was way better than I expected.

:same:

We won on our very first round on it and I honestly think it might be my favorite map. The fighting is pretty much constant and games are so quick that it's way less frustrating to lose in the endgame because you only spent about 10 minutes getting there.

Jebediah posted:

Sorry, 6600K, which is less of a leap but not by much.

Okay, that makes more sense. I was mostly asking because there is one board I know of that can use DDR3 and can technically support a 9900k but that would probably severely bottleneck that CPU and I was wondering what performance was like and if there were others out of curiosity.

e: It's this motherboard if anyone was curious.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 25, 2020

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Also my buddy swam up behind two dudes in the flooded bunker and navy sealed them. Map owns.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
New map is cool and good.

https://clips.twitch.tv/JazzySuaveRavenShazBotstix

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
I admire that last guys sick jump

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'm an expert at dangerous and unnecessary jumping but that dude puts me to shame

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Man really does not like getting grenaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

lol. nice meltdown