Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Space Gopher posted:

Maxing your Roth at 6k/year 2020 dollars is not enough to put you in good shape for retirement by itself, unless you've got something else like a pension to help out, or your definition of "good shape" is exceptionally frugal. The rule of thumb for a comfortable retirement is saving 15-20% of your gross salary for retirement from your mid-late-20s until you're done working in your mid-60s. No, that's not realistic for a lot of people. Welcome to one of the many mechanisms for persistent wealth inequality.

I've always been curious if the 15-20% recommended figure includes company 401k match? For instance I have a HHI of ~$100,000. We max out both Roth IRA's each year. I have a 401k which I deposited a total of $7,150 in 2019 ($4,720 from my contributions, $2,430 employer match). My wife works part time and has no retirement available through her employer.

So my total retirement contributions in 2019 were $19,150 / 19.51% of my gross income. If I don't include my employer contributions, that goes down to $16,720 / 16.72%. I am happy with both numbers, but I was curious what the consensus was when it comes to employer contributions.

Should we also be counting HSA contributions towards this retirement figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

surf rock posted:

Sorry about the delayed reply; the past few days have been nuts.

So, apparently we switched 401(k) administrators or whatever in the past year? I looked it up and initially it seemed like it was just a $60/year flat recordkeeping fee and Vanguard's actual expense ratio (they seem to only use Vanguard funds), but then I found this page about custodial fees:

It sounds like an additional 5.5 basis points? So if I invested in my 401k in a Vanguard mutual fund with an expense ratio of 0.10, I would actually be paying 0.155 with this factored in. Is that right?

The previous 401k provider had expense ratios of like 1.5 or something; this seems a lot better.

What's the 401k annual contribution cap? To be at 15% gross salary in retirement savings, that would be $12k. Subtracting my Roth IRA contributions, that would mean targeting $5,500 in 401k contributions each year.

Based on the numbers here I would put as much as you can afford into that 401k. It's not bad at all, dare I say good. If you have a taxable brokerage with lots that are at long-term capital gains which are intended for retirement you could up your paycheck contributions to max and sell those funds to make up the difference. Effectively funneling money into your 401k.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

...my total retirement contributions in 2019 were 19.51% of my gross income. If I don't include my employer contributions, that goes down to 16.72%. I am happy with both numbers, but I was curious...
It’s about total, all-inclusive savings. So yeah, it’d include employer contributions. Another way of framing the concept is “do you consider pension plans a form of retirement savings?”. Yes, obviously.

quote:

Should you count retirement savings as a form of health care savings? Almost certainly yes, so HSAs could be considered retirement savings. I wouldn’t be surprised if 50% of the average American’s retirement savings eventually finds its way into the healthcare system.

Now, the timing of when the money will be used is really the differentiator. If you only put enough into your HSA to cover current-year healthcare expenses, then it’s clearly not going to help you in retirement. If you vastly overfund (and invest) your HSA such that it’s growing much faster than current expenses are draining, sure.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

It’s about total, all-inclusive savings. So yeah, it’d include employer contributions. Another way of framing the concept is “do you consider pension plans a form of retirement savings?”. Yes, obviously.

Should you count retirement savings as a form of health care savings? Almost certainly yes, so HSAs could be considered retirement savings. I wouldn’t be surprised if 50% of the average American’s retirement savings eventually finds its way into the healthcare system.

Now, the timing of when the money will be used is really the differentiator. If you only put enough into your HSA to cover current-year healthcare expenses, then it’s clearly not going to help you in retirement. If you vastly overfund (and invest) your HSA such that it’s growing much faster than current expenses are draining, sure.

Thanks for the feedback. My employer actually funds a huge percentage of our HSA each year ($4,860 in 2019), but we also have two young kids so money is always going in and out of this account; so I'm not going to count this as retirement for the time being.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Sock The Great posted:

I've always been curious if the 15-20% recommended figure includes company 401k match? For instance I have a HHI of ~$100,000. We max out both Roth IRA's each year. I have a 401k which I deposited a total of $7,150 in 2019 ($4,720 from my contributions, $2,430 employer match). My wife works part time and has no retirement available through her employer.
I don't count company match or anticipated social security income in my figures. Some people may though.

quote:

I don't count my HSA either. I'd love to be able to use it as retirement income later in life, but I also know that my medical expenses will go up significantly later in life. My plan is to use the HSA as a buffer against pulling medical expenses out of my other income sources, and if I'm in good enough health and good enough financial position to go the other way and start withdrawing from the HSA without penalties, I can go on some pretty awesome travel adventures.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
I don't think there is one good way of calculating your savings rate/goal. I don't include anything not contributed by me as it's behavioral, both as a minimum "don't touch" requirement and a goal signal of "ok you've saved enough". It's also less dependable IE if my company gets restructured, my access to profit share to the IRS max may go away.

However if I use employer contributions, it has to go in the numerator and denominator.

$15,000 401k / $100,000 gross salary = 15% becomes $15,000 401k + $5,000 company contribution / $105,000 = 19%

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I don't plan my retirement savings by choosing a savings rate for the year. Instead, I try to project my annual expenses in retirement and then determine how much I'll need in savings to cover those expenses at a safe withdrawal rate. Then I just save as much as I can so I get to that number as quickly as possible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
only issue with that is if you get too stoked up about it you can forget to do fun things

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

only issue with that is if you get too stoked up about it you can forget to do fun things
Make fun things a goal just like everything else!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Perhaps, although I've never experienced that myself. I definitely see occasional posts in r/FIRE from people they are like "help I accidentally turned myself into a penny pinching miser!" For me it's been the case that I save so much and my base level of spending is so low that I don't feel guilty about, e.g., splurging on my next trip to Vegas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

Make fun things a goal just like everything else!

i do have to kind of force myself to do this

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i do have to kind of force myself to do this
It's okay, so do I. And then I get the same dopamine hit for accomplishing that goal as I do with my other ones!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My buddy was going to move in with me but he was only willing to pay up to half the mortgage as rent, because any more than that wasn't fair.

A house that I put 75% down on

He will only pay $348 a month to split a $650,000 house because any more is me "trying to make a profit off him" :psyduck:

How do people make it to their 30s without learning anything about finances

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I know, right. Obviously he shouldn't have to pay principal since you get to keep it, and just split the ITI with you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Sounds like you should cash out refi.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My buddy was going to move in with me but he was only willing to pay up to half the mortgage as rent, because any more than that wasn't fair.

A house that I put 75% down on

He will only pay $348 a month to split a $650,000 house because any more is me "trying to make a profit off him" :psyduck:

How do people make it to their 30s without learning anything about finances

Sure he's being silly to give up what would be presumably a cheaper than market rent opportunity (you didn't say how much you were going to charge). But the question in my mind is do you want a renter as a roommate or a (best) friend?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

tangy yet delightful posted:

Sure he's being silly to give up what would be presumably a cheaper than market rent opportunity (you didn't say how much you were going to charge). But the question in my mind is do you want a renter as a roommate or a (best) friend?

Yeah I'm relieved it fell apart, to be honest. He's getting divorced and I offered it since it could be mutually beneficial, but he's completely dug in his heels that $300 is the fair price to pay.

(He also has a dog, of course)

I'm going to send him listings for $300 apartments in the area

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I'm relieved it fell apart, to be honest. He's getting divorced and I offered it since it could be mutually beneficial, but he's completely dug in his heels that $300 is the fair price to pay.

(He also has a dog, of course)

I'm going to send him listings for $300 apartments in the area

:yosnice:

I had a coworker mopping in after he was couch surging at his sister's following getting divorced. He paid a very reasonable just-under-market rent and it was a good arrangement into he bought his own condo. And his little old dog was welcome because mine had died the year before and I was lonely.

But in the meantime, that sucker even helped me fix a leaky toilet I couldn't have fixed on my own without a sizzling I'm his rent! I used the $~200 money I saved avoiding a plumber can to invest in the market, making the rich richer! :capitalism:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpelledBackwards posted:

:yosnice:

I had a coworker mopping in after he was couch surging at his sister's following getting divorced. He paid a very reasonable just-under-market rent and it was a good arrangement into he bought his own condo. And his little old dog was welcome because mine had died the year before and I was lonely.

But in the meantime, that sucker even helped me fix a leaky toilet I couldn't have fixed on my own without a sizzling I'm his rent! I used the $~200 money I saved avoiding a plumber can to invest in the market, making the rich richer! :capitalism:

“Couch surging” is a great description of my attempts at trying to get laid in high school.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

“Couch surging” is a great description of my attempts at trying to get laid in high school.

Those poor cushions :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Beach Bum posted:

Those poor cushions :ohdear:

I didn’t say successful attempts!

Wait. Oh. :negative:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Residency Evil posted:

Did I write a typo or not?

YOU DECIDE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTY8hrvFck8

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

God drat how did I know what this was before clicking on it!

Late 90s media really embedded itself in our brains

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I work for one of the major banks of the US/world. I just found out that they don't care if the college you go to is accredited or not. My supervisor has a PHD from "City University of Hong Kong", a co-worker got his masters from a South African college. These degrees let them qualify for senior positions, I am serious.

I found this shocking, but then I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I work in Banking after all. I'm struggling to qualify for internal jobs with my BA from a real California university.

Is there a college in the US, non-accredited that just gives out masters degrees? Can I pay $500 or something to get a MBA from" University of Outerspace, Deleware"?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Um, City University of Hong Kong is not some joke degree mill. While it's no Cambridge or Oxford, it is a serious research university, and a PhD from there is a worthy accomplishment. It's not an American college if that's what you mean by accreditation, but multinational corporations hire people with foreign degrees all the time.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SA Forums Poster posted:

Is there a college in the US, non-accredited that just gives out masters degrees? Can I pay $500 or something to get a MBA from" University of Outerspace, Deleware"?

There are hundreds of these. Look for "degree mill" and you'll find a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unaccredited_institutions_of_higher_education
https://www.chronicle.com/article/Psst-Wanna-Buy-a-PhD-/24239

To be fair: Many/most(?) unaccredited schools are "real" but just suck or have bullshit curricula (University of Metaphysics). Others, specifically to avoid any potential liability for being literal scams, will have the most bare minimum coursework or distance learning components just for plausible deniability. You will still be able to find plenty of literal do-nothing-get-degree schools.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

SA Forums Poster posted:

I work for one of the major banks of the US/world. I just found out that they don't care if the college you go to is accredited or not. My supervisor has a PHD from "City University of Hong Kong", a co-worker got his masters from a South African college. These degrees let them qualify for senior positions, I am serious.

I found this shocking, but then I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I work in Banking after all. I'm struggling to qualify for internal jobs with my BA from a real California university.

Do you have any idea how prejudiced and backwater you sound? City University of Hong Kong is a well regarded international research institution and your supervisor has a PhD. Meanwhile, you have a BA and an entitlement complex.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Imagine the unbelievable entitlement to suppose that a bachelors from an American college or university is universally better than a doctorate at any other international college or university.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SA Forums Poster posted:

Just for curiosities sake, is this the real California university... of Phoenix or UC Berkeley?

To answer your question, there are online masters programs which get high regards in this state, I know various teacher friends who have used them to advance their K-12 jobs. I want to say it's WGU? Don't take my word or it, I failed out of community college - but a real California one.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Just for curiosities sake, is this the real California university... of Phoenix or UC Berkeley?

To answer your question, there are online masters programs which get high regards in this state, I know various teacher friends who have used them to advance their K-12 jobs. I want to say it's WGU? Don't take my word or it, I failed out of community college - but a real California one.

I thought for the longest time that the California University of Pennsylvania, as mentioned in the first Key & Peele East vs. Bowl skit, was made up. Much later I found out it's real:

https://www.calu.edu/index.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

I thought for the longest time that the California University of Pennsylvania, as mentioned in the first Key & Peele East vs. Bowl skit, was made up. Much later I found out it's real:

https://www.calu.edu/index.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

I am unconvinced it's not just an elaborate hoax.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

There’s also an Indiana University of PA.

Is Western Governors university really “highly regarded”? One of the dumbest people I know (like genuinely not smart) was raving about how he was getting his IT degree from there and while it may be real and accredited - if they took that guy, I can’t imagine it being “highly regarded”.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You would be amazed at how stupid some of the people who got degrees from prestigious places are.

Have you ever met anyone with a PhD?

Have you ever seen them try to assemble Ikea furniture?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Sure, but that's not what they were arguing. They were arguing that a PhD from a foreign university is a joke degree on the level of what you'd get from a degree mill here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

You would be amazed at how stupid some of the people who got degrees from prestigious places are.

Have you ever met anyone with a PhD?

Have you ever seen them try to assemble Ikea furniture?

i'm not sure if i was looking for say, a banking or finance person that i would evaluate them based on their ability to assemble furniture

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Looking for some advice here. Couldn't seem to find something like a general budgeting thread.

My 32-year-old brother is extremely BWM (and BW a number of other things) and has just moved to Florida to basically start over. This is the first time he's lived on his own and really had any degree of independence. He has impulse control problems, amongst other things, so is of course burning through all of his available cash and then hitting me up on a weekly basis (my answer is always no).

He actually makes decent money doing marine construction. I've repeatedly reiterated to him that he needs a budget to track his spending, and a bucket of savings to tap into so that he can pay for the near-constant stream of "unexpected things" that always seem to eat up his weekly cash, and that I would love to help him set these things up. My offer to help get his savings started has got him more interested, so we set up a call for tonight.

So looking for advice on two things really:

1) What is the best budgeting tool for someone who is basically computer-illiterate (and also maybe literally illiterate)? This is a man who has never sent an email, so spreadsheets and most online tools aren't going to work here. Is there a good Android app of some kind?

2) If I want to say, get him started with $100 in savings, can anyone recommend a good way to structure it so that this cash is not immediately available to him?

Any other tips would be appreciated. I know this is likely a wasted effort, but it's something.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I hate to be defeatist but if the man is truly bordering on computer illiterate - and potentially illiterate enough that a literal physical written ledger is also too complicated - then the man needs to solve those problems and seek to develop some basic competency first. We're a couple of steps away from being capable of generating and sticking to a budget. Any budgeting system like YNAB or Mint is going to be completely worthless to him because he won't understand the implications of what the data and tracking tools are telling him. He won't know how to ask questions of the data to receive answers.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Hoodwinker posted:

I hate to be defeatist but if the man is truly bordering on computer illiterate - and potentially illiterate enough that a literal physical written ledger is also too complicated - then the man needs to solve those problems and seek to develop some basic competency first. We're a couple of steps away from being capable of generating and sticking to a budget. Any budgeting system like YNAB or Mint is going to be completely worthless to him because he won't understand the implications of what the data and tracking tools are telling him. He won't know how to ask questions of the data to receive answers.
I mean, I totally agree... but he is who he is at this point. I agree that YNAB or Mint is too complex of a solution. I was thinking maybe some kind of simple printable worksheet that he can fill out each week with pen and paper or something.

My hope is that if I can throw something at him like "you are allowed to spend $X on food, $X on rent, $X on other bills, and you must deposit $X into savings" and give him some kind of basic mechanism to keep track of even half of it, maaaaaaaybe he will be one step closer to being able to consistently feed himself.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Envelope system. Make him use an actual atm card to get money. If he can't keep that up then he needs mental help beyond what you can give him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

dy. posted:

I mean, I totally agree... but he is who he is at this point. I agree that YNAB or Mint is too complex of a solution. I was thinking maybe some kind of simple printable worksheet that he can fill out each week with pen and paper or something.

My hope is that if I can throw something at him like "you are allowed to spend $X on food, $X on rent, $X on other bills, and you must deposit $X into savings" and give him some kind of basic mechanism to keep track of even half of it, maaaaaaaybe he will be one step closer to being able to consistently feed himself.
I mean, even if he gets an envelope system working, I'm not sanguine that his whole structure won't fall apart at the first opportunity to defect. He needs to understand the purpose of the behaviors for them to persist. If you don't know why you're really doing something, you have no reason to stick to it.