Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a really good bundle too, and a bargain for what you get out of it.

Totally agree! Hand of Fate 2 is outrageously good fun.

E: I put in $50 for the bundle and super happy that all goes to the animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/russellcrowe/status/1219031928071843840

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Just looking at some of the cars in one of the groups I'm from Canberra.... you would put smaller holes in them with a .50cal machine gun. I have *never* seen hail just shred poo poo like it did in Canberra today at all

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Replies to this are really... something.

:smithicide:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cable Guy posted:

Lots of bots
https://twitter.com/AlanLew56185276/status/1219105349447213056?s=20

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

:wtc:

I was expecting people claiming it proves we don't need to take action on climate change, not... whatever the fresh hell this is

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh yeah I've seen a bunch of chucklefucks online arguing that plants grow better if they're supplied with more CO2 and humans farm plants to survive therefore more CO2 = more food for everyone so that has to be better for everyone.

It's the dumbest fuckin' poo poo ever.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Cable Guy posted:

I love that russel Crowe has the lady versions of reply guy in there

Nobody except her

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just looking at some of the cars in one of the groups I'm from Canberra.... you would put smaller holes in them with a .50cal machine gun. I have *never* seen hail just shred poo poo like it did in Canberra today at all

All the particulates from the fires combined with the general extreme weather shift provided the, pardon the pun, perfect storm to generate some truly impressive hail. Welcome to the new normal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A firey (SES?) up in QLD posted a bunch of photos of the base camp where they've been living while they've been working the fires: https://imgur.com/gallery/6kSLTeT

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Some hailstorm highlights

https://twitter.com/GeneralThought9/status/1219083945834213376

https://twitter.com/trudoggydog/status/1219090962162450432

https://twitter.com/SOliver2020/status/1219269158174646275

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

This juxtaposition of hail and bush fires could inspire a writer. They could make a sweeping fantasy series from the concept. Perhaps it could be called something like a ballad of fire and ice.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Varkk posted:

This juxtaposition of hail and bush fires could inspire a writer. They could make a sweeping fantasy series from the concept. Perhaps it could be called something like a ballad of fire and ice.

Oh I love that movie

Edit:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The National Gallery sculpture garden looks like it would've been sick yesterday

https://twitter.com/NatGalleryAus/status/1219194012067717120

Imagine what this one would've been

As long as you hadn't parked there. Even the underground parking at the gallery took some dingers

https://twitter.com/gracegill9/status/1219075228686376960

Would've been somethin' on the hazy days, too, probably

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 21, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A firey (SES?) up in QLD posted a bunch of photos of the base camp where they've been living while they've been working the fires: https://imgur.com/gallery/6kSLTeT

Yeah that's what we call The Habitat it's our mobile town for when we are in remote areas or are lacking accomodation.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Also my friend's car was written of enroute to a difficult funeral, which is much less whimsical

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah that's what we call The Habitat it's our mobile town for when we are in remote areas or are lacking accomodation.

They're very WWI looking, what're they like to stay at? Also clicking through that imgur thread, utes with water tanks strapped on as ersatz firefighting vehicles, goddamn

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 21, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Peccadillo posted:

They're very WWI looking, what're they like to stay at?

I was thinking more roman legionnaires, myself

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Every single loving one of those old Subaru's could've been full blown firetrucks for like half a tail flap of the bunch of f-35's or an inch of propeller of the submarines we just bought

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Peccadillo posted:

Every single loving one of those old Subaru's could've been full blown firetrucks for like half a tail flap of the bunch of f-35's or an inch of propeller of the submarines we just bought

But that might affect ~The Strong Economy~ :decorum:.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Peccadillo posted:

They're very WWI looking, what're they like to stay at? Also clicking through that imgur thread, utes with water tanks strapped on as ersatz firefighting vehicles, goddamn

Fire technicals?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Peccadillo posted:

I personally have not stayed in it. The two times I nearly did were 2018 fires but I got put in nicer accomodation instead as the Hab was used for the out of state people to keep them all together. And the 2nd time was in Townsville last year after the floods but it wasn't built in time for when we got there.

Also those utes aren't ersatz at all, they are 41 type slip on units. As in you slip the gear onto the back and change it out as is required. Actually a main stay and have been for some time. They have the 4WD and small size capability that the larger trucks don't so they can get into places quickly. Those new MRAP looks my beasts the parkies have look fly though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

> Australian Brushfire Crisis: utes with water tanks strapped on

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

C&c generals mod where you fight fires with firefighting technicals

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Whole bunch of electronica artists put together a 100+ song compilation to raise more funds for volunteer fire-fighters.

http://sunsetgrid.bandcamp.com/album/c-l-i-m-a-t-e-c-h-a-n-g-e-w-a-v-e

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

> Australian Brushfire Crisis: utes with water tanks strapped on

water-pistol technicals

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Quantum Shart posted:

Whole bunch of electronica artists put together a 100+ song compilation to raise more funds for volunteer fire-fighters.

http://sunsetgrid.bandcamp.com/album/c-l-i-m-a-t-e-c-h-a-n-g-e-w-a-v-e

And a chillhop one with 42 tracks
http://ravenrapid.bandcamp.com/album/animal-rescue-charity-tape

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Peccadillo posted:

The firefighting crew on French Island only had one fire truck until one of their members bought a second one on eBay with his own money
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/french-island-a-big-fire-a-small-community-and-a-fire-truck-from-ebay-20200119-p53srm.html

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

I personally have not stayed in it. The two times I nearly did were 2018 fires but I got put in nicer accomodation instead as the Hab was used for the out of state people to keep them all together. And the 2nd time was in Townsville last year after the floods but it wasn't built in time for when we got there.

Also those utes aren't ersatz at all, they are 41 type slip on units. As in you slip the gear onto the back and change it out as is required. Actually a main stay and have been for some time. They have the 4WD and small size capability that the larger trucks don't so they can get into places quickly. Those new MRAP looks my beasts the parkies have look fly though.

Yeah slip ons are great, I wish my brigade had one. It's pretty regular that we can't get our new shiny heavy tanker into a job and have to call for slip ons. They also have the advantage that they can be driven by anyone in the brigade with a driver's licensenas opposed to a truck license.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

hambeet posted:

C&c generals mod where you fight fires with firefighting technicals

How about a different type of videogame?

http://scomosimulator.com/

(press enter, not click, at least for me)

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

drunkill posted:

How about a different type of videogame?

http://scomosimulator.com/

(press enter, not click, at least for me)
:perfect:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
After multiple weeks caught in both fire and smoke it was odd but heartening today to notice that I could actually see a decent distance into the distance and the mountains where blue just like they are supposed to be. I know poo poo is fully hosed up but sometimes it's the little things that count.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
That game is amazing, thanks for the link. Also get hosed, from Nelligen!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Peccadillo posted:

F-35s I'll grant you since they're only ever going to be used in whatever tagalong bomb useless dirt forever war the US gets us into, but we're an island nation and if we're going to spend on defence at all then that's subs to keep hostile navies from landing troops on our shores.

That doesn't in any way excuse the appalling state of our rural fire services though. It's a national disgrace that it's so poorly resourced and only staffed by volunteers. It's absurd.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It flooded so bad in Melbourne yesterday that I had to walk one hour home soaking wet because all the trams and trains to my area were cancelled and uber was asking $45 for a 10 minute ride with everyone stranded. I was stepping in 10cm/4 inches of water without thinking about it cuz I couldn't get any more wet.

And it's gonna happen again tomorrow yay

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Gridlocked posted:

Government should order a few dozen of these for remote/forest bushfire vehicles, or as an army firefighting unit. Built here, fully offroad, they have a few variations including a tray bed option, can tow a trailer which could be more water. Swap out the armour plating for thermal protection and burnover prevention systems, use them as deep forest firefighting teams.

Sure, they'd cost more than a landcrusers but just take it out of the military budget. Not like they'll be using theirs for anything productive over the lifetime of the vehicles anyway. They've already ordered 1000, just convert 40 of them.

Two and four door options, replace the remote control turret with a remote control hose and nozzle.

Drop them into areas via chinook

Plus, they're named after Bob Hawke!

quote:

The Hawkei is named after Acanthophis hawkei,[15] a species of death adder. In turn, the snake is named after former Prime Minister of Australia Bob Hawke.[16]

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

F-35s I'll grant you since they're only ever going to be used in whatever tagalong bomb useless dirt forever war the US gets us into, but we're an island nation and if we're going to spend on defence at all then that's subs to keep hostile navies from landing troops on our shores.

That doesn't in any way excuse the appalling state of our rural fire services though. It's a national disgrace that it's so poorly resourced and only staffed by volunteers. It's absurd.

The end of Independence Day except instead of Randy Quaid blowing up the alien ship he just gently bumps a submarine into a Chinese beach, shouting "yahoooo"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Carth Dookie posted:

That implies the F-35's work though. The only thing they're going to do in their lifespan is look embarrassed in the air for a few hours and then spend several weeks undergoing repairs.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

drunkill posted:

Government should order a few dozen of these for remote/forest bushfire vehicles, or as an army firefighting unit. Built here, fully offroad, they have a few variations including a tray bed option, can tow a trailer which could be more water. Swap out the armour plating for thermal protection and burnover prevention systems, use them as deep forest firefighting teams.

Sure, they'd cost more than a landcrusers but just take it out of the military budget. Not like they'll be using theirs for anything productive over the lifetime of the vehicles anyway. They've already ordered 1000, just convert 40 of them.

Two and four door options, replace the remote control turret with a remote control hose and nozzle.

Drop them into areas via chinook

Plus, they're named after Bob Hawke!

That thing looks like its more the size of the cat 7 small trucks that they use for fires. Part of the reason they have the landies is they're good for difficult to reach stuff that the bigger vehicles can't get into. They also tend to be used more by national parks and state forest fire crews as I read somewhere that the RFS is moving away form them in favour of the cat 7 as they hold more water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Quick, someone make a Spintires firefighting mod for charity