Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

It would appear that CryTek were first to touch the poop.

cat(astrophic) tax:

EmesiS fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

shrach posted:

I'm surprised anyone sees it as anything other than this. Crytek are the first people to "invest" in Star Citizen and not embrace sunk cost fallacy.

There’s always more.

I rest my case

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Landing succsfl

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Quavers posted:

:reddit: SDC vs TURBOR 40 man wing fight. 12 vs 27. Biggest fight in SC History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtKoLTsdc8

:itwaspoo:

looks like you chase a little white dot around your screen, thrilling combat

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

How could you run star citizen client on a console to launch this SQ42?

How can it be remotely reasonable to advertise publicly you going to defiey a contract. Then years after the upset party has been dragging you to court dribble that your own public statements are not true and you made secret deal with a third party that makes your first agreement null and void but only decided to let that slip now?

Oh and pay the legal fees for driving a car through my shop window and doing donughts.

The whole thing seams absurd.

The release of SQ42 is obviously needed for any financial remedy to crytek

I can understand announcing you are going to break a contract immenitly and breaking a contracting are two different things... It seams absurd you are allowed to reap the benefits of the contract breaking announcements while not having to pay he costs.

Maybe this is top tier legal trickery at work.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
This batch of legal updates is boring. Some investor drop another misinformed wad of cash on crobberts so he can hire back the youtube crew!

Beet Wagon posted:

Well yeah I mean why get six inches of failure when a footlong is only $5

Can I use this to cross-sandwich upgrade to a footlong and retain my lettuce/tomato insurance?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mailer posted:

This batch of legal updates is boring. Some investor drop another misinformed wad of cash on crobberts so he can hire back the youtube crew!

Can I use this to cross-sandwich upgrade to a footlong and retain my lettuce/tomato insurance?

New money only please.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad that the ELE didn't occur, this train wreck is too precious to end at this point.

It has to go out slowly, an implosion wouldn't do it justice. It has to go away like a fart.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Don't dox my catte!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

no_recall posted:

I'm glad that the ELE didn't occur, this train wreck is too precious to end at this point.

It has to go out slowly, an implosion wouldn't do it justice. It has to go away like a fart.

I'd argue it already has. Outside this thread, there are three types of people: those who laugh at SC, those who don't care, and the zealots. The zealots matter least because they're no different than any other cult - if you just forget the compound exists, it doesn't really matter who's inside.

Star Citizen failed years ago. Whatever the gently caress CIG is cobbling together right now is certainly not what their website was advertising all those years ago. The broken mess they punish themselves in is the purgatory their supporters deserve.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
I love that CIG not actually changing to lumberyard means it really did take a few days for multiple devs to just update the license information inside of their nightmare spaghetti code.

I bet making the change caused compiling errors or at least some amazing bugs.

Like, a line number changed and caused argon to instantly kill the player or somehow they had active if/then statements stuck in a block that's normally commented out.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Quavers posted:

:reddit: SDC vs TURBOR 40 man wing fight. 12 vs 27. Biggest fight in SC History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtKoLTsdc8

:itwaspoo:

As a KSP player, all I could think about was "In all this time, why haven't they done any significant amount of orbiting around that planet? They're probably decently far away. How long did it take to get their orbits synchronized to get into this dog fight in the first place? Why haven't they drifted apart? How are they turning and changing vectors that quickly? Their rotational acceleration is ridiculous." I guess realistic orbital mechanics and rotational inertia would cut down on the fun of it all though.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Junk Puncher posted:

As a KSP player, all I could think about was "In all this time, why haven't they done any significant amount of orbiting around that planet? They're probably decently far away. How long did it take to get their orbits synchronized to get into this dog fight in the first place? Why haven't they drifted apart? How are they turning and changing vectors that quickly? Their rotational acceleration is ridiculous." I guess realistic orbital mechanics and rotational inertia would cut down on the fun of it all though.

Doesn't sound very fidelitous tbh.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Those brussels sprouts look mouldy

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I see that the catnip black market is flourishing more than ever! Better stock up on it with my BMM!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

khy posted:

So I haven't checked on Star Citizen in like, a year or two.

What's the status of it? Is it coming out reasonably soon? If not, what is currently the best open-universe space sim out there for someone who loved Privateer/Freelancer?

Yes it's remarkably close to completion.

Refunktory
Oct 18, 2013
I can only hope that more locations, either procedural or far from high population areas, are made for criminals to "hack" their wanted level away. The current state of affairs couldn't be any more unfriendly to the incidental criminal trying to become lawful again.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Refunktory posted:

The current state of affairs couldn't be any more unfriendly to the incidental gamer trying to play.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

shrach posted:

I guess we will find out soon enough on the motion to dismiss but I find the argument that the claim is not yet ripe as funny as the CIG lawyers apparently, because no one (apart from Crytek apparently) needed discovery to know that the game doesn't even exist yet and CIG have admitted that since the start, even using it as a defence.

The courts mentioned ripeness at the start, but you’re mistaking ‘common knowledge’ for evidence.

Edit: that may have sounded snippy, I apologize; I remembered I had a Doctor’s appointment while I was replying.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 20, 2020

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If Common Knowledge had the same weight as evidence nobody would have funded Star Citizen

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:420:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

shrach posted:

I guess we will find out soon enough on the motion to dismiss but I find the argument that the claim is not yet ripe as funny as the CIG lawyers apparently, because no one (apart from Crytek apparently) needed discovery to know that the game doesn't even exist yet and CIG have admitted that since the start, even using it as a defence.

Cry was probably hoping for an injunction against releasing the game before SQ42 was published. Seems far fetched to me, but :shrug:.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Tane is just shitpost for Smoke Weed Every Day

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

:angel::dong::hitler:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Junk Puncher posted:

Every space shooty game is ridiculous except Children of a dead earth.

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

RabbitWizard posted:

this

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

RabbitWizard posted:

It’s not wrong to want Star Trek, but we’re going to get Red Dwarf.

Culture vs Battlefield Earth if you’re wordy.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

DigitalPenny posted:

I can understand announcing you are going to break a contract immenitly and breaking a contracting are two different things... It seams absurd you are allowed to reap the benefits of the contract breaking announcements while not having to pay he costs.

Maybe this is top tier legal trickery at work.

The blame lies pretty heavily on Crytek. The last statement CIG ever made regarding access to SQ42 is that it would be through the Star Citizen client, thus not breaking any terms of the GLA. That statement was publicly available, so it was pretty weird for Crytek to try and sue them over their release of SQ42 when
1. It hasn't been released
2. Their announced release method doesn't contradict any terms

Also, CIG has already paid all the costs required by their contract. They made a payment to get the license as well as including Crytek's work on the original prototype/demo thing. They also gave all their patches to the engine back to Crytek (eventually). As far as we know, CIG owes nothing to Crytek at this point.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Question for people who still think there's some gotcha in the engine swap and Crytek have a good case relating to it.

CIG: Originally they got an exclusive licence for CryEngine from Crytek. It's exclusive to CIG, they cannot resell it.
Downloaded:
Cryengine-source3.7.zip from Crytek which has Crytek headers and Crytek.licence.txt

Amazon: They got a non-exclusive licence for CryEngine from Crytek. They can seemingly resell whatever they want and make whatever changes they want.
Downloaded:
CryEngine-source3.7.zip from Crytek which has Crytek headers and Crytek.licence.txt
CryEngine-source3.8.zip from Crytek which has Crytek headers and Crytek.licence.txt
Created:
Lumberyard-source.zip which has whatever headers and Amazon.licence.txt

Amazon email to Crytek posted:

We can confirm that yes, Amazon did license Lumberyard to CIG in 2016, and we included Cryengine (what you
licensed to us
)
as part of that license to CIG.

CIG: Swapped from CryEngine-source3.7.zip to CryEngine-source3.7.zip which are actually identical, so there's no headers to be changed or anything to even swap.

I don't understand what anyone who thinks there's some gotcha moment in the headers or whatever, actually thinks should have happened and how there can be a gotcha? I just don't even know where an alternative to CryEngine-source3.7.zip could come from that people still think CIG should have used to swap to?
Eight months later CIG changed Crytek.licence.txt to Amazon.licence.txt which at this point, seems acceptable unless Crytek want to have a go at suing Amazon for their relicensing practices.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fidelitious posted:

The blame lies pretty heavily on Crytek. The last statement CIG ever made regarding access to SQ42 is that it would be through the Star Citizen client, thus not breaking any terms of the GLA. That statement was publicly available, so it was pretty weird for Crytek to try and sue them over their release of SQ42 when
1. It hasn't been released
2. Their announced release method doesn't contradict any terms

Also, CIG has already paid all the costs required by their contract. They made a payment to get the license as well as including Crytek's work on the original prototype/demo thing. They also gave all their patches to the engine back to Crytek (eventually). As far as we know, CIG owes nothing to Crytek at this point.

This is all cool and good but for early buyers like what I am I got the games separately, you could buy just SQ68 at the time I am pretty sure
Either way gently caress em all they are all imbeciles

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

This is all cool and good but for early buyers like what I am I got the games separately, you could buy just SQ68 at the time I am pretty sure
Either way gently caress em all they are all imbeciles

How's your skull dancing cat?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

How's your skull dancing cat?

Latest update on that, had a meeting with my surgeon dude a few days ago, it's all systems go for the operation, so just waiting for a date now.
I am having the titanium screws put into my skull now, good poo poo imo.

It's this, it's pretty cool how it works - and my cyborg status will be reinstated

https://www.healthyhearing.com/help/hearing-aids/bone-anchored

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Latest update on that, had a meeting with my surgeon dude a few days ago, it's all systems go for the operation, so just waiting for a date now.
I am having the titanium screws put into my skull now, good poo poo imo.

It's this, it's pretty cool how it works - and my cyborg status will be reinstated

https://www.healthyhearing.com/help/hearing-aids/bone-anchored

sweet. we're gonna have to add a glowing terminator eye to that dancey cat

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6snromQjhc

:chef:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CRYREKT!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

It’s not wrong to want Star Trek, but we’re going to get Red Dwarf.

Culture vs Battlefield Earth if you’re wordy.

gently caress, i'd give good money for a fidelitous Red Dwarf experience.

There again, probably can get that with a few beers, a trip to the curry house, and some bad guitar.

Insignificant claim to fame: Used to drink in the same pub Craig Charles used to. I think he even once walked out after hearing me shout "ACTIVATE" in a drunken voice.

Shame really, i always wanted to go over to him and thank him for years of laughter, but instead i behaved like a giant dick.

I'm sure there is a morale there somewhere.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 20, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

sweet. we're gonna have to add a glowing terminator eye to that dancey cat

Hell yeah, I am looking forward to it now I have come to terms with it, it took a while to not shudder every time I thought about it but I am over that now and ready for my new life in Deus Ex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Refunktory posted:

I can only hope that more locations, either procedural or far from high population areas, are made for criminals to "hack" their wanted level away. The current state of affairs couldn't be any more unfriendly to the incidental criminal trying to become lawful again.

That's... well it's incredibly fidelitious and true to reality I guess.