Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I watched the climate change anime, Weathering for You. It’s typical anime melodrama fare with all the usual tropes. Ideologically however, it’s a v bad movie. Personal sacrifice is condemned and collective action is eschewed in favor of primitivist reaction towards climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the best climate change anime is Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbxcNB9k9z8

the manga is also one of my favorites ever made. certainly my favorite post-apocalyptic story. it stands out because humanity is in its twilight as we slowly depopulate due to radical changes in the climate, and instead of freaking out humanity accepts its fate and maintains civilization in ever decreasing form. The manga goes more into why humanity is willing to accept its fate than the OVA ever does.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i watched another episode of rick and morty to understand the context behind the scary terry and where are my testicles memes and you know its really starting to hit me that the animation is utter poo poo it looks gross and lazy and not even in a way that matches the shows overall tone

so i ran a little experiment and decided to listen to a random rick and morty clip without watching it and it turned out i was right the animation adds pretty much nothing nearly all of the appeal is in the writing style the voice acting and the sound design the visuals are almost never actually necessary because so much of the humor is tied up in overelaborate explanations

i just want to take this moment to yell at clouds like the old man i am because the internet is filled with tedious unending bloviating podcasts about nothing but we cant do radio dramas anymore because its a rule for some reason that scripts have to be accompanied with visuals at all time no matter how obviously low effort and pointless

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
watch bushworld adventures

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
the first episode of the latest season has some killer animation set pieces in my opinion, I don't engage with media enough to remember any other episodes off the top of my head, probably the last episode of last season with the president has some really good rapid fire scenes with great stuff going on.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Cuck Philosophy did a really good video on Martin Heidegger and Miyazaki recently especially focusing on man's relationship with nature, it got taken down for copyright reasons but he posted this magnet link on Twitter:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:af084c6505be27e9526eae731b72d5d9618537ef&dn=Martin%20Heidegger%20%26%20Hayao%20Miyazaki%20-%20Cuck%20Philosophy.m4v&tr=udp%3a%2f%http://2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%https://t.co/ZeTPKhTu4w%3a80

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/feeonline/status/1218357381089955841?s=21

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

So I see. The poor person who delivers my food to me because I'm a lazy gently caress is exactly the same as a bounty hunter or a sell-sword. I'll let them know how cool they are next time.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

digging how all the replies are pointing out that gerault is in a union and haggles for better pay and does all sorts of poo poo that would be a contract violation in a silicon valley startup

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doctor Jeep posted:

everything except lube man was poo poo, I rarely laugh out loud to tv shows (even comedies) but that got one out of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuQNy9CIFek

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Over the weekend, I watched "Play Dirty" a WW2 movie from 1969 featuring Michael Caine, set in North Africa and very loosely based on the Long Range Desert Group.

It tells the story of a group of men that have been sent on a mission to go deep into the desert, emerge behind German lines, and blow up an important fuel depot for the Afrika Korps. Caine plays Capt. Douglas, a British officer who was serving as a liaison to the Anglo-Persian Oil Company, but gets drafted into this mission because all the other previous officers have so been been killed every time they go out on a misson.

The men he's working with are all former criminals, lead by a Capt. Leech, who himself was in prison for 15 years for sinking a ship (and everyone else in it) for insurance money.

The initial dynamic is Douglas playing the part of the by-the-book straight-and-arrow, while Leech doesn't care about the rules: Douglas wants to conduct an inspection of the men before they head out, Leech just has everyone pile into the jeeps and drives off.

Their first stop is at an oasis, where they try to pass themselves off as Italians to the Bedouin tribesmen. Douglas mistakenly reveals a medallion he wears around his neck that gives them away as actually British, but then Leech is quick enough on the draw to shoot all the tribesmen before they can attack. Again, this shows that Caine is not "street smart" to how things work in the desert, but also, Leech refuses to even bury the tribesmen's bodies, once again defying Douglas's orders and showing his own cynicism towards the war.

Their next obstacle is a cliffside - the Germans are coming up behind them, and the only way is through. In this scene Douglas shines by coming up with a plan to winch-up their vehicles up the cliffs with steel cable, but as they're pulling up the third and final jeep, he finds that Leech never unloaded the jeep, in defiance of his orders, and the cable snaps under the weight halfway through and the jeep gets wrecked in the subsequent fall. Leech just laughs as Douglas.

They spend the night at the top of the cliffs, and the next morning the Germans catch up and take positions at the bottom. Later in the day, a second column of British troops come up through this route: an earlier scene tells us that Douglas's men was intended to a distraction, and it's this force that's the "real" mission, except they're now walking straight into an ambush. Douglas tries to fire a warning shot, but Leech pins him down and tells him to shut up and be quiet.

The ambush plays out perfectly, and the British column is destroyed to a man. Leech simply waits for the Germans to pack-up and leave, then descends on the remnants of the column to scavenge for supples. Douglas orders the men to bury the slain troops, and when it looks like they're going to refuse to follow again, he starts holding them at gunpoint. Leech and the rest of the men draw on him, but they eventually back down and do as he says. Afterwards, Leech reveals that the colonel that sent them on this mission is promising him 2,000 pounds if he brings back Douglas alive, which is why he didn't force the issue even if he would have won.

The group moves on, and spends the next few days struggling across the Qattara Depression, losing a number of wheels along the way to the rough terrain. They come across the wrecks of a destroyed German convoy, and investigate it for anything that can be salvaged. Douglas finds a usable wheel, but inadvertently puts his hands on a mine in the process, and the scene that plays out is a very tense act done in complete silence, as one of Leech's men carefully disarms the mine.

Douglas is freed, but in the meantime one of their other men sets off a mine while scavenging watches from dead soldiers. He is still alive, but is badly wounded.

The group decides to make a detour to a main road used by German troops, where they hope to drop off their wounded comrade. They get there, and they intercept a lone German ambulance. The ambulance stops, the driver and his partner get out, and before any words can be exchanged, Douglas and Leech shoot both of them. Leech in particularly gives a sort of prideful jibe at Douglas for having started to learn how to operate in these parts, which is both a sign of their developing working relationship, but also represents Douglas slowly jettisoning unlearning his morality, since he did just shoot two Red Cross workers.

They find a woman nurse in the back of the ambulance, take her prisoner, and force her to treat the wounded soldier. For her trouble, she gets nearly raped at the hands of three other from the group after she walks off to try and wash up - the assault is only broken up by the wounded soldier shooting one of the prospective rapists in the rear end after he's already dropped trou. The gunshot calls the attention of Leech and Douglas, and they put a stop to it, but they have the woman treat the rear end-shot soldier anyway.

The group trudge on, and they finally reach the fuel depot. Douglas does a quick scout, and then after a sandstorm develops, he decides to use the storm as cover to approach the depot and commit to their attack. The attack goes off perfectly: they approach the perimeter slowly, cut through the barbed wire, and assault into the compound, but the first German soldier they shoot turns out to be a uniform stuffed with hay and branches, and the whirling winds reveal the fuel tanks as plywood fakes. The group dejectedly huddles into an empty building to wait for the storm to blow over. Douglas tries to make some kind of rousing speech to get the men to come with him as he says he'll look for the "real" fuel depot, but nobody buys it, and after running out and realizing he's alone, Douglas comes back and lies down like everyone else.

We then get an interlude with the colonel that sent the men on this mission, and the colonel's superior. We get the first firm fix on the timeline of the movie, as the general describes how the British Army has just routed Rommel at El Alamein, and that they're in hot pursuit, and that instead of destroying the fuel depot, the general wants Douglas's team to either capture the fuel, or leave it well enough alone. The colonel says he can't reach Douglas anymore, which is true, as the group's radio was in the jeep that got wrecked being hauled up the cliffs. The general then orders that the colonel instead use his double-agent contacts to snitch on Douglas's men, so that the Germans/Italians will know they're out there, and can stop them from pulling off any more demolition plots.

We come back to Douglas, and they've now managed to drive to a port town, possibly Benghazi. They're still in Italian officer uniforms, so they can walk around, and they're a little mystified by all the Axis troops driving westwards. They decide to take a walk down to the port area, and see that there's a couple of ships docked there. Leech wants to stow away in one of them, sail off, and either wait out the rest of the war, or find a way back to Allied lines later. Douglas instead wants to blow the fuel offloaded on the docks - Leech gets a distraction making it easier for him to get onto the boats, Douglas still accomplishes his mission. Leech gets in a dig on Douglas for still wanting a medal, but they agree.

They wait for night-time, and then infiltrate into the dock areas - they almost pull it off, but one of the men sets off a tripwire, the alarm is raised, and the men soon find themselves surrounded. The Italian guards yelling over the loudspeaker tell them to surrender, and begin to read out their names and serial numbers, which we as the audience know is a product of the colonel selling them out. The men are shocked at how they would have known, but they have no choice. They set off their explosives and try to escape in the confusion, but only Douglas and Leech make it to safety by walking out instead of running out to blend in, then hunkering down inside a barn. The rest of the men are caught at various different points and subsequently machine-gunned.

Douglas and Leech pass the rest of the night in hiding, and are awakened in the morning with the sound of a tank crashing through a wall. They look, and see that it's a British Crusader tank. They don't quite understand, and since they're still in Italian uniforms, they decide that they should "surrender". They put a white kerchief on a stick, and begin walking out. They make it about a block before they both get shot in the back by a British soldier - he tells his commanding officer that he didn't see the white flag, and the officer just tells him to not do it again.

The movie shifts to Douglas and Leech's corpses, and the credits roll.

I just sat there for a while thinking as the movie wound down, and my takeaway is this was exactly the kind of "war is hosed up and pointless" take that we were looking for. I came into it expecting some glorious explosions and fight scenes, and instead got interminable tedium (the length of this post is supposed to convey that), war crimes, atrocities, and an ending that just wastes everyone's time, and, hell, I deserve it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ok i think ive diagnosed the problem with watchmen its a show thats outrageously campy but the people who made it dont have a clue and think all their scenes of high comedy are like about dramatic tension or something

the irony being that this is actually the best kind of camp but you didnt see anybody claiming that puma man was the greatest film of 1980 because of its deep storytelling legacy

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

ok i think ive diagnosed the problem with watchmen its a show thats outrageously campy but the people who made it dont have a clue and think all their scenes of high comedy are like about dramatic tension or something

the irony being that this is actually the best kind of camp but you didnt see anybody claiming that puma man was the greatest film of 1980 because of its deep storytelling legacy

yea I was kinda hopeful at first because of how believably lovely all the homemade cop superhero costumes are but they dropped the ball like with everything else. the comic uses intentional camp really well as part of its critique of superheroes but the show thinks superheroes are epic badasses

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

yea I was kinda hopeful at first because of how believably lovely all the homemade cop superhero costumes are but they dropped the ball like with everything else. the comic uses intentional camp really well as part of its critique of superheroes but the show thinks superheroes are epic badasses

Yeah if anything The Boys got the comedy and black humor tone right by comparison.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Farm Frenzy posted:

fwiw i think the tv show would have been relatively better off if none of the characters had special costumes and the cops didn't wear any masks. i feel like that element of the original work was used specifically to examine certain elements of human psychology and subvert the reader's expectations about what purpose costumed crime fighters really served, and the hbo series didn't seem to grasp that, it was just "well the original comic had people in costumes and while we completely don't get why that specific thematic element was chosen, let's just include it in this anyway because watchmen = super heroes am i rite"

like the only real justification i could see in-setting for why some cops had to wear special costumes was so that they could act completely outside the boundaries of the law, which is an unnecessary premise in our actual reality, where uniformed officers can kill (poor/minority) people with impunity and expect to walk away totally free. it was this completely incongruous detail that actually made it harder for me to suspend my disbelief, because it was so clearly indicating that the creator didn't even understand how contemporary police forces operate.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

digging how all the replies are pointing out that gerault is in a union and haggles for better pay and does all sorts of poo poo that would be a contract violation in a silicon valley startup

Me, A Cool Guy: "Instead of tipping you, I offer you the LAW OF SURPRISE, that which I have but do not know I have"

Doordash Worker: "Now look"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Hello, Doordash? I can't find the Law of Surprise checkbox on your app and-"

Doordash Worker: "I AM NOT TAKING YOUR GRANDDAUGHTER, OKAY?!?"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also I finally got around to the Mandalorian and its pretty OK but it managed to tickle all my Star Wars hyper nerd spots like absolutely nothing else so :five:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

Over the weekend, I watched "Play Dirty" a WW2 movie from 1969 featuring Michael Caine, set in North Africa and very loosely based on the Long Range Desert Group.

that sounds like a good movie, where'd you find it?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the best climate change anime is Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbxcNB9k9z8

the manga is also one of my favorites ever made. certainly my favorite post-apocalyptic story. it stands out because humanity is in its twilight as we slowly depopulate due to radical changes in the climate, and instead of freaking out humanity accepts its fate and maintains civilization in ever decreasing form. The manga goes more into why humanity is willing to accept its fate than the OVA ever does.

also the cute robots are gay

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Peanut President posted:

that sounds like a good movie, where'd you find it?

:filez:

The Hill made a tweet about how Sanders was going to play dirty, and someone linked to a movie poster in response and it looked cool

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I saw little women today and it was good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

an actual dog posted:

also the cute robots are gay

yeah I don't think it ever explained in the manga why the male androids couldn't survive and the only remaining one is a mechanic

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

I saw little women today and it was good

So many shots looked ripped straight from paintings!

Thought it was a bit uh...didactic when Josephine is in the art room and starts (correctly) talking about how marriage is an economic proposition for women because there was a noticeable visual shift to make her look like a crusading politician. Reminded me of the end of Ruffalo's direct-to-audience pitch at the end of "Dark Waters".

Interestingly there's a throwaway scene, kind of a wider shot with people chatting over a table, that goes something like:

1: "Oh how dreadful slavery is, glad our dad's fighting against it in the Civil War"
2: "Well if slavery's wrong is the way we treat OUR help wrong???"
1: "lol maybe"

Also going in I thought "Little Women" and "Little House on the Prairie" were the same thing so I was confused why there was no prairie.

platzapS has issued a correction as of 08:32 on Jan 21, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i always get annoyed when people in historical dramas say stuff like that as if its a shocking revelation marriage has always been about economic security and until fairly recently people would have looked at you like a moron if youd started talking about true love as if it was something that should be seriously factored into such decisions

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Yeah they often have that problem because they think viewers are morons who have to be spoonfed everything.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Grevling posted:

Yeah they often have that problem because they think viewers are morons who have to be spoonfed everything.

they're not exactly wrong

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Grevling posted:

I mean... it’s Little Women. It’s always, from books to adaptations, been a story that has young audiences in its sights, and as a result it’s going to be direct with its messaging.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Grevling posted:

There are people on this very forum who fall rear end-first into the movie subforum asking about basic plot details from the movie they just watched.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
1: the decorations at this party are a little base, don’t you think?
2: it’s my daughters birthday... she’s ten
1: yes, but clowns? signage saying happy birthday? were I in charge the decor would remind one of the grave, both for humorous effect and to inspire the children to celebrate in defiance of their own mortality
2: I... *leaves*
1: *drinks punch from cartoon themed dixie cup* I’m just saying this entire thing shows how little respect you have for your daughter

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean if they are going to watch a 3 hour youtube explainer about the movie anyway why not go for it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Prince Myshkin posted:

There are people on this very forum who fall rear end-first into the movie subforum asking about basic plot details from the movie they just watched.

I'd rather have those than the people who take an entire night of argument to admit they watched the movie drunk and left halfway through

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

1: the decorations at this party are a little base, don’t you think?
2: it’s my daughters birthday... she’s ten
1: yes, but clowns? signage saying happy birthday? were I in charge the decor would remind one of the grave, both for humorous effect and to inspire the children to celebrate in defiance of their own mortality
2: I... *leaves*
1: *drinks punch from cartoon themed dixie cup* I’m just saying this entire thing shows how little respect you have for your daughter
lolol

Unlike someone upthread I thought the explicit to-the-audience explainers in The Big Short were a good idea. It would have been way more obnoxious to have veteran financiers discussing basic concepts with each other. Might as well have a celebrity cutaway.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

platzapS posted:

lolol

Unlike someone upthread I thought the explicit to-the-audience explainers in The Big Short were a good idea. It would have been way more obnoxious to have veteran financiers discussing basic concepts with each other. Might as well have a celebrity cutaway.

Margot Robbie bubble bath

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd rather have those than the people who take an entire night of argument to admit they watched the movie drunk and left halfway through

My point is viewers frequently are morons.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

platzapS posted:

lolol

Yeah, it's lovely exposition to have two characters dialogue about something they both already know and would have no interest in discussing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the reason why the crash was so farcical is because no matter how many times the people who predicted it tried to explain it in painstakingly simple terms to their bosses they were treated like wackadoodle lunatics because number go up investment not bad me brilliant eight figure investor but me no understand what bubble am

for me the funniest moment in the movie wasnt any of the cutaway scenes its when they get the news that mortgage defaults are happening but somehow the bond prices are still going up and steve carrells just like what the gently caress that doesnt make any sense the bonds are literally made up of the toxic mortgages that are defaulting

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The scene where they were arguing with credit ratings lady was good stuff.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i also really liked the sequence where they met with the real estate douchebros and the strippers those parts really emphasized how the crash could have been easily predicted by literally anyone willing to do basic research about what these investments actually were

i dont like the framing of the scam as being particularly complicated because thats straight up pro wall street propaganda suggesting that the whole thing was unpredictable in reality these suit wearing fucks were all woefully incompetent at their jobs and none of them facing any consequences for what they did was a travesty

worth remembering that the last time this came up we were discussing vice i think which i havent seen because the promotional material gave me the impression that vice was going to do for bush and cheney what the big short did for wall street and make them look like buffoons rather than monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Everyone offering adjustable rate mortgages during historic interest rate lows knew exactly what they were doing. Collect lending fees and move on.