Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I read the "we've made them jealous" name list as "noname YouTube nerd, no name YouTube nerd" etc am I correct

Yes, they're all comicsgate/anti-sjw conspiracy peddlers, completely irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julias posted:

Yes, they're all comicsgate/anti-sjw conspiracy peddlers, completely irrelevant.

It's a murderer's row of useless. One of them, TUG (That Umbrella Guy, whose avatar is Rorschach from Watchmen with the RE Umbrella logo on his face), has just last year accidentally doxxed his real name, found out his wife was cybering with people behind his back and spent a great deal of time yelling about a person who's been helping to lead the anti-CG charge maliciously destroyed his mailbox despite her living some states away. His mailbox.

Yeah, they've been fighting Vic's war for him and that's his front line.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know anything about comicsgate and I'm kinda afraid to ask, but I'm going to assume it's about people being garbage to minorities over Comic Book characters, isn't it?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

That and women existing. Your basic straight white dude poo poo.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Wark Say posted:

I don't know anything about comicsgate and I'm kinda afraid to ask, but I'm going to assume it's about people being garbage to minorities over Comic Book characters, isn't it?

"Women and minorities have ruined comics by bringing POLITICS into them so they are no longer entirely white male nerd fantasies" basically.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Basically it's like ever other alt-right thing that purports to "Take <thing> back to it's roots before evil SJWs killed it."

What's hilarious about comics gate in particular is they all have to ignore that the comics in the "good old days" were decidedly antifa. Jack Kirby had some very choice things to say about nazis.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Figures. :cripes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SoftNum posted:

Basically it's like ever other alt-right thing that purports to "Take <thing> back to it's roots before evil SJWs killed it."

What's hilarious about comics gate in particular is they all have to ignore that the comics in the "good old days" were decidedly antifa. Jack Kirby had some very choice things to say about nazis.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

It's basically just gamergate for the western comic book industry yeah, hating on things like Marvel and DC trying to appeal to minorities and any criticism of right wing politics/support of left wing politics.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
This remains one of my absolute favorite things. The delivery is hilarious.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why won't Vic come on my show and ruin his case even more than I already have???

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I love the idea that every day Kirby would kill exactly four nazis. Some days he'd be done by Breakfast and some he'd be out until midnight, but he always got his four.

Julias posted:

It's basically just gamergate for the western comic book industry yeah, hating on things like Marvel and DC trying to appeal to minorities and any criticism of right wing politics/support of left wing politics.

If I remember, the main focus was on the blasphemy of using the tradition of legacy characters to let someone who wasn't a straight white guy be somebody.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gyges posted:

If I remember, the main focus was on the blasphemy of using the tradition of legacy characters to let someone who wasn't a straight white guy be somebody.

Yeah, how they make their case seem reasonable to an outsider is to frame it as an outrage based on a half-truth: Even I would, in general, agree that it'd be less creatively bankrupt to make a new character that is a minority instead of cribbing on the name recognition of an old and established hero. However, you realize how disingenuous this argument is when they don't apply that same logic to the various incarnations of a character that are all white (the various Robins, The Flashes, Spider Women, etc.), and also recognize that instead of just saying "that's dumb" and boycotting the comic, they are going out of their way to harass and attack creators and supporters of these changes. It's the common strategy of alt-right adjacent indoctrination by getting somebody to side with you on a reasonable point, and then slowly warp your worldview to be in line with theirs.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Also when creators are transparently creating / using / fueling the outrage to sell their own comics; you realize there's not a lot behind it except hate.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Miles Morales is a good spider-boy and Kensho Ono's portrayal of him was fantastic. :3:

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

SoftNum posted:

Also when creators are transparently creating / using / fueling the outrage to sell their own comics; you realize there's not a lot behind it except hate.

You mean Ethan Van Sciver writing “Mein Kampf” on the draw-a-cover of one of his DC books?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

SoftNum posted:

That just reminds me of the whole "make captain america a secret nazi" storyline they did a while back. They were pretty clearly trying to make outrage to make people mad and buy the comic books and they uh, didn't. They were just pissed about it and it just ended up being a fake captain america.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the sequel to Civil War they did because the movie was coming out where they made the character they were trying to push as an A-list heroine into a literal fascist who was presented as being in the objective right for what she did.

Like she literally tried to get the Arab-American heroine who idolized her to assist her in putting people into prison camps.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the sequel to Civil War they did because the movie was coming out where they made the character they were trying to push as an A-list heroine into a literal fascist who was presented as being in the objective right for what she did.

Like she literally tried to get the Arab-American heroine who idolized her to assist her in putting people into prison camps.

Not to be pedantic, but Kamala Khan is Pakistani-American.

SoftNum posted:

This reminds me of that line from Kreia in Knights of the Old Republic II talking about the alliance between Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion. About how a bond forged out of mutual hatred is the most fragile thing.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminder that comicsgate inciting incident was a bunch of women who work at marvel going to get millshakes and some of them had visible cleavage.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tashilicious posted:

Reminder that comicsgate inciting incident was a bunch of women who work at marvel going to get millshakes and some of them had visible cleavage.

antifa comics!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tashilicious posted:

You were doing ok, but didn't stick the landing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Toshimo posted:

they weren't joking

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

No, that's actually it

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Comicsgate is dumb and lovely, yes, but here's the tweet and adding the false bit about "some of them had visible cleavage" is demonstrably false and a weird thing to add a lie about.

https://twitter.com/HeatherAntos/status/891004244089810945

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This....might be the most pedantic post I’ve ever seen

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dont get it

Is the gotcha that they arent actually showing any cleavage

Why did you bother digging the tweet up for that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

I dont get it

:same:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

ninjewtsu posted:

I dont get it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pull up, thread

PULL UP

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Pull down and crash into a fiery hellpit

This thread desires blood

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i mean you could always #kickthevic literally

i dont think he has secret service protection

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somewhat more related, Nick had a thing where it sounded like he was drunkenly saying he didn't know if he was going to go to Anime Matsuri this year because they haven't been talking to him for months. Imagine being ghosted by the biggest chud-ridden con in America.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Why are there a bunch of these dumb "#KickVic gets BTFO!" videos in Youtube recommendations lately? Is this because of that one time I clicked on a Quartering video without realizing who he was? :saddowns:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
congarts the youtube algorithm now thinks you have a high Engagement metric because you are extremely stupid

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Jagged Jim posted:

Why are there a bunch of these dumb "#KickVic gets BTFO!" videos in Youtube recommendations lately? Is this because of that one time I clicked on a Quartering video without realizing who he was? :saddowns:

Just delete the quartering video from your watch history.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dawgstar posted:

Somewhat more related, Nick had a thing where it sounded like he was drunkenly saying he didn't know if he was going to go to Anime Matsuri this year because they haven't been talking to him for months. Imagine being ghosted by the biggest chud-ridden con in America.

What's infuriating about AM is that they have a terrible reputation, especially with regard to Japanese guests, and they somehow keep convincing fairly high-profile voice actresses and industry pros to go to their con. I really wish the event could have any accountability ever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Takoluka posted:

What's infuriating about AM is that they have a terrible reputation, especially with regard to Japanese guests, and they somehow keep convincing fairly high-profile voice actresses and industry pros to go to their con. I really wish the event could have any accountability ever.

Sometimes they don't even have translators for the Japanese guests, right?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Jagged Jim posted:

I've had a bunch and I only watch regular Dragon Ball stuff. It is kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Yeah I just nuked my Watch History after I remembered you can do that.

...and I'm already starting to get these stupid videos showing up again. Goddammit! :negative: