Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Anyone considering further participation in this derail are going to want to do so with extreme caution, all right?

I'm all for people getting eddicated and Doing Better, but this has the potential to go badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
e: beaten

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Cool thanks guys for answering my question.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

While we're at it, "guys" and "dudes" are not gender neutral ways to address a group. Especially when knowingly addressing a group of trans people.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

While we're at it, "guys" and "dudes" are not gender neutral ways to address a group. Especially when knowingly addressing a group of trans people.

While we are at it, being a jerk to someone asking questions in order to learn and be better towards people is a real dick move.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I don't think this is a very universal rule. "Dudes", maybe, sure, but in my group of friends including women who are both cis and trans and we all frequently refer to each other with "hey guys" pretty casually. Maybe it's regional, or just dependent on use? I wouldn't call them "a bunch of guys" for instance, but saying "thanks guys" or "guys, listen" is very common.
If someone ever asked me not to use it in reference to them, I would avoid it, but my point is I don't think it's a hard and fast rule for everyone, because I've never met someone of any walk of life who preferred not to be included in a group that way, even when the group was entirely women.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

500excf type r posted:

While we are at it, being a jerk to someone asking questions in order to learn and be better towards people is a real dick move.

That's nice, dear. I'm glad you were able to get whatever tone you wanted out of my post.

Vib Rib posted:

I don't think this is a very universal rule. "Dudes", maybe, sure, but in my group of friends including women who are both cis and trans and we all frequently refer to each other with "hey guys" pretty casually. Maybe it's regional, or just dependent on use? I wouldn't call them "a bunch of guys" for instance, but saying "thanks guys" or "guys, listen" is very common.
If someone ever asked me not to use it in reference to them, I would avoid it, but my point is I don't think it's a hard and fast rule for everyone, because I've never met someone of any walk of life who preferred not to be included in a group that way, even when the group was entirely women.

It may not be as big a thing as "dudes" but it's still largely A Thing with a lot of trans women.

Queen-Of-Hearts has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Jan 20, 2020

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

500excf type r posted:

Didn't think anybody was bein' a jerk to ya but okay, you do you.

E:

Vib Rib posted:

I don't think this is a very universal rule.

Nah, maybe not universal to you, but FC got this earlier in something short and poetic:

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

The grammatical arguments have been made, so I'll cover the other reason: someone asked you not to and that's really all you need to know.

and SoH got another followup for your clarification

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

It may not be as big a thing as "dudes" but it's still largely A Thing with a lot of trans women.

So I think that's covered?

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Jan 20, 2020

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

500excf type r posted:

Helicoptering is a dick move. Being perhaps a little strident because your first reaction to "pls don't do that" is "I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION FIRST" is eminently reasonable.

Also, try to consider how many times people use jUsT aSkInG qUeStiOnS as a segue to being a total hamsterfucker to us and maybe you'll be a lil less goddamn delicate.

Now go put some lotion on your wiw tushie rash and let the subject die.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/scienceshitpost/status/1217988794953003008

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

What about "youse guys" in a thick jersey accent?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Me, addressing a crowd: My fellow motherfuckers,

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

christmas boots posted:

just gotta leave it at youse

"y'all" solved this problem hundreds of years ago

but this is all great water cooler talk y'all, unfortunately I think I'm going to have to go back over what an adjective is first

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Does it pre-empt directions to a restaurant?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I thought that was implied

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

Me, addressing a crowd: My fellow motherfuckers,
I prefer the more formal "What up, sluts?"

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Gender-neutral and sex positive. I like it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How am I supposed to let people know that it's Wednesday without calling them dudes?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Getting "folks" into my core vocab has been a bit of a chore but it's been worth it

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

christmas boots posted:

I thought that was implied

So the two of you's are gonna hang a left at the light and shoot on down Pulaski about tree blocks. You'll see the big sign with the kid in the straw hat wit' the fishing' pole, can't miss it. Hey and uh, send my love to ya ma, yeah?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I'll try to be mindful of it in the future, then.

Queen Combat posted:

Nah, maybe not universal to you, but FC got this earlier in something short and poetic
and SoH got another followup for your clarification
So I think that's covered?
I wasn't using it (or planning on using it) on anyone here, especially after being asked not to, but I understand that me taking exception to the issue probably came off in-context as defending 500excf so I apologize for butting into all that when I should've just kept driving.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I added "people" because I'm somewhat familiar with the way that whole derail went but clearly didn't need to add the "-ed"

my bad, move on

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Push El Burrito posted:

How am I supposed to let people know that it's Wednesday without calling them dudes?

It is Wednesday my sluts.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Bobby Digital posted:

It is Wednesday my sluts.

I got excited and looked at the calendar and it's not even Wednesday :smith:

FFT posted:

I added "people" because I'm somewhat familiar with the way that whole derail went but clearly didn't need to add the "-ed"

my bad, move on
Looking, you're *so* close. Just, y'know, "transgender people" not "transgendered people."

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Jan 20, 2020

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

Wardrobe

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009
‘Dude is gender-neutral’ is the hill I’ll die on

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

hawowanlawow posted:

just gotta leave it at youse

"y'all" solved this problem hundreds of years ago

but this is all great water cooler talk y'all, unfortunately I think I'm going to have to go back over what an adjective is first

Getting rid of "thou" is the reason for all this modern grammatical difficulty.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Elviscat posted:

Getting rid of "thou" is the reason for all this modern grammatical difficulty.

Yeah all the other words we use instead seem to be full of holes in comparison.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I default to “homies”

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
It's like you fuckers don't remember Good Burger smh

I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude....Cause we're all dudes!

Hey!

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

I default to “homies”

Exclusionary toward my homeless dudes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:hmmyes:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

So, how's the fun, jolly IOSM thread doing these da-

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

imo

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

tgacon posted:

‘Dude is gender-neutral’ is the hill I’ll die on
Promise?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Just steering one-handed on this entrance ramp as I whip out my phone and take a photo of a car that merged safely.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I think only Chef Excellence is allowed to use that.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014