Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Missed out on being on the star wars pod, drat. Oh well, maybe another time.

Gonna assume its about the crazy racist gently caress reaction to the new trilogy, rather than the fun bonkers old EU stuff like Han Solo fighting a giant space otter, or robot Princess Leia assassinating a three-eyed (fake) son of the Emperor at their "Dark Imperial Wedding".

I hope you’re ready for the grand unifying centrist theory about Star Wars.

Ash Crimson posted:

Get help. my yard is clear, as is my conscience

You’re the one needing help pal, please seek it for your own good.

Also stop loving blaming “the English” for brexit, Scotland’s conscience isn’t clear on this at all either, and actually could have decided the vote had we not our own significant minority of gammony fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of arseholes suddenly clenched in terror...I fear something terrible has happened.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Also stop loving blaming “the English” for brexit, Scotland’s conscience isn’t clear on this at all either, and actually could have decided the vote had we not our own significant minority of gammony fucks.

Yes, if noone in Scotland had voted brexit, remain would have won. Plenty of scope to pass blame!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pesky Splinter posted:

Missed out on being on the star wars pod, drat. Oh well, maybe another time.

Gonna assume its about the crazy racist gently caress reaction to the new trilogy, rather than the fun bonkers old EU stuff like Han Solo fighting a giant space otter, or robot Princess Leia assassinating a three-eyed (fake) son of the Emperor at their "Dark Imperial Wedding".

You mean Trikloyps? The Emperor's three eyed son who wanted peace, but at night designed all these Imperial Death machines while he dreamed?

That's some great poo poo.

Honestly I am hoping that the Star Wars talk is about the politics in the new film.
By which I mean how The Last Jedi is this bullshit Centrist fantasy.
I mean the film had some other major flaws (how the plot revolved around the worlds dumbest chase, that Finn had nothing to do in the film, that somebody felt a need to undercut a load of the questions/mysteries built up from Episode 7, that even after sufferinga major defeat the First Order took over the Galaxy after two weeks..) But it was the Centrist stuff that killed it for me.

"The First Order are bad. But the people who build the Resistance's fighters also build ships for the First Order. So have you considered that they are the same?"

"Fighting back against the First Order is stupid. Yes you take daring risks and score what should be decisive victories. But the script writers just say that they have another bigger ship.
The only way to beat the First Order is to hide, wait for more supporters to show up and only fight your enemy when you have a numerical advantage. "

"The Jedi order fought the Sith for thousands of years and maintained peace. But because they lost that one time, we are better off burning their texts and having no Jedi Order. I'm sure the Sith will get bored and go home."

Christ that movie was so annoying.

In other UK news Northern Ireland has (symbolically) told Borris today a bag of dicks.

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1219295023541432320?s=19

I'm sure in Rian Johnson world they should only have done so if they got a majority of UK MPs to support them but it's still a good gesture.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

some of us i.e. me, we're still waiting to grow into the swan
The queen will arrest you for that.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Also stop loving blaming “the English”
The more people blame them, the more real they become. Nobody wants that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When you say three eyes you mean like the actual aliens with three eyes or just a human with an extra eye?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Star Wars doesn't have these then I'm not watching it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Question IRL posted:

You mean Trikloyps? The Emperor's three eyed son who wanted peace, but at night designed all these Imperial Death machines while he dreamed?

No that was his real son - Trioculus was the other three-eyed guy who pretended to be the Emperor's son. I love the old EU - such great nonsense. :v:

The Question IRL posted:

Honestly I am hoping that the Star Wars talk is about the politics in the new film.

I've literally forgotten 99% of the new films. Outside of them being better films than the prequels, having no planned direction of the franchise, and every film being a reaction to the one before it. Barely thought about the politics outside of the white noise of searing hot takes on the topic of race, sex, and gender.

OwlFancier posted:

When you say three eyes you mean like the actual aliens with three eyes or just a human with an extra eye?

As in a literal human dude with an extra eye.

And here's my favourite EU Star Wars scene entirely out of context:

This was canon.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

The Question IRL posted:

By which I mean how The Last Jedi is this bullshit Centrist fantasy.
I mean the film had some other major flaws (how the plot revolved around the worlds dumbest chase, that Finn had nothing to do in the film, that somebody felt a need to undercut a load of the questions/mysteries built up from Episode 7, that even after sufferinga major defeat the First Order took over the Galaxy after two weeks..) But it was the Centrist stuff that killed it for me.

"The First Order are bad. But the people who build the Resistance's fighters also build ships for the First Order. So have you considered that they are the same?"

"Fighting back against the First Order is stupid. Yes you take daring risks and score what should be decisive victories. But the script writers just say that they have another bigger ship.
The only way to beat the First Order is to hide, wait for more supporters to show up and only fight your enemy when you have a numerical advantage. "

"The Jedi order fought the Sith for thousands of years and maintained peace. But because they lost that one time, we are better off burning their texts and having no Jedi Order. I'm sure the Sith will get bored and go home."

Christ that movie was so annoying.

In other UK news Northern Ireland has (symbolically) told Borris today a bag of dicks.

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1219295023541432320?s=19

I'm sure in Rian Johnson world they should only have done so if they got a majority of UK MPs to support them but it's still a good gesture.
Lol, just say you're big mad because you had to throw out the flowchart you'd made explaining who Snoke was and move on :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

If Star Wars doesn't have these then I'm not watching it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Found this on facebook, might be of some interest.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But what are their views on Star Wars?

That is quite useful. Not really suprising, but useful as a quick breakdown.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Mutant human with a third eye at the back of his head.

The Empire was human centric with ingrained racism. Like the Tory Party.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I missed ugly ducking chat, but I'm going to chime in that for some of us i.e. me, we're still waiting to grow into the swan

What is a swan but a goose with better eyeliner game

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Isomermaid posted:

What is a swan but a goose with better eyeliner game

The only honking I do is when some inconsiderate fucker cuts me up on the motorway. And in content news:

https://twitter.com/JayMcCluskey74/status/1218876494346407936

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The force is a horseshoe, both light and dark are the same actually

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

did y'all miss the part where don't join guy was explicitly shown to be wrong and wound up joining the fascists as soon as he was remotely threatened by them

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I know it's not UK - but PBS America channel is showing right now a documentary on Charlottesville from 2017 - not seen any footage from that before, pretty bad.
Coming to post-brexit Britain any time now.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

The original movies end with the fascist, mass murdering villain getting into space heaven because hes a space aristocrat who did a death bed repentance. Bad politics is the core of the Star Wars experience.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

He's got the MP wrong though. Onn lost, it's now Tory Lia Nici-Townend. (But apparently Onn supported brexit too).

https://twitter.com/goranmar0112/status/1219037975956185088?s=20

Ed: the article in this link is from 2017. Not sure it changes the situation though!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 20, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: TLJ showed the barest glimmers of wanting to move into a world where the force wasn't just for the Specials, and I'm 99% sure that's why the director got shitcanned. I suspect he wanted to make a movie about the force becoming democratised and an acutally realistic revolution happening, but... why would the evil empire make that movie?

It's a theme of an AWFUL lot of current pop culture, that only the Specials can fix things, and mundane humans are either there to be saved, die tragically, or gape vapidly from the sidelines.

In particular, the Incredibles 2 (one of my favourite film youtubers did a great bit on how the ending of that could have been written to actually make the public the heroes, it's genuinely emotional), everything MCU, up to and including cancelling all the TV series which starred the much more mundane, everyday hero types including at least three completely unpowered people in starring roles, Star Wars, the loving Lego movie even just... called them Specials... etc etc etc.

There's also the deeply loving disturbing fact that Disney does literal stormtrooper parades through their parks, and likes showing the villains particularly of Star Wars in full Triumph of the Wills style, which as another youtuber reminded me is *how the nazis wanted themselves to be seen*, and maybe we shouldn't copy that in portraying the mass genocidal, child-kidnapping-and-brainwashing-into-disposable-grunts totalitarian dictators?

In short movies are at best, liberal propaganda and at worst, fash propaganda, and I'm deeply, deeply concerned with how they make society at large view evil, villains, good, and heroes. I kind of want to write an essay about it but I have no motivation to when nobody will read it and it's nowhere near as developed as the Straw that broke the Turtle's Back concept.

I'm SO pissed I missed the Star Wars pod, I have so much semi-informed wild lefty bullshit to spout about the politics of pop culture.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like the smol Yoda even though it seems to be designed exactly to make people like it and also by reusing a mogwai animatronic.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

He's got the MP wrong though. Onn lost, it's now Tory Lia Nici-Townend.

https://twitter.com/goranmar0112/status/1219037975956185088?s=20
Comedy option where Britain leaves and Grimsby stays in. Hard border along the A18.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The loving comments on that tweet, I swear the UK internet is just chock full of chuds these days. Moreso than even the society in general.

And I don't get why Boris wants to overturn the Lords vote on ID cards for EU nationals. In what possible way is that bad besides making things easier post-brexit? I don't see the negative optics on that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Question IRL posted:

You mean the Jedi that upheld the Capitalistic and humanocentric Galactic Senate and gleefully enabled slave keeping at the edge of the galaxy whilst emotionally damaging a lot of their members?

The Jedi should end, just because the Sith are dreadful doesn't mean that the Jedi are that much better.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: TLJ showed the barest glimmers of wanting to move into a world where the force wasn't just for the Specials, and I'm 99% sure that's why the director got shitcanned. I suspect he wanted to make a movie about the force becoming democratised and an acutally realistic revolution happening, but... why would the evil empire make that movie?
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/12/star-wars-the-force-awakens-empire-joseph-campbell-george-lucas/

thespaceinvader posted:

It's a theme of an AWFUL lot of current pop culture, that only the Specials can fix things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0fQ_OCa9Ik

thespaceinvader posted:

In short movies are at best, liberal propaganda and at worst, fash propaganda, and I'm deeply, deeply concerned with how they make society at large view evil, villains, good, and heroes. I kind of want to write an essay about it but I have no motivation to when nobody will read it and it's nowhere near as developed as the Straw that broke the Turtle's Back concept.
I'd read it. I think Marcuse already wrote one but we could use one for the MCU era.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Private Speech posted:

The loving comments on that tweet, I swear the UK internet is just chock full of chuds these days. Moreso than even the society in general.

And I don't get why Boris wants to overturn the Lords vote on ID cards for EU nationals. In what possible way is that bad besides making things easier post-brexit? I don't see the negative optics on that.

The idea they could be copied / traded / stolen? Or if you’re going to go full cynic, the fact they’re held entirely in a government system makes it much easier to pull another Wishrush?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Windrush happened in part because all the boarding passes were destroyed though. (They were destroyed because they were 50 years old, and nobody thought that a future government would devote that much time and effort to harassing British Subjects who moved from one part of British soil to another over 50 years ago, so why keep them, so it's not the fault of the record keepers, but it was a matter of lack of documentation rather than too much documentation.)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Just give me a loving passport stamp IDC, I want something to show to a landlord or some other lovely person that I'm not illegal scum.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TLJ's director didn't get shitcanned, it was supposed to be a different director for every movie. It was the third one's director who got canned, cause he made bad film Book of Henry, which is why Abrams came back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I like the way Lisa Nandy's column has been made narrower to cover up the fact that she only has four significant proponents to everyone else's five.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

I like the way Lisa Nandy's column has been made narrower to cover up the fact that she only has four significant proponents to everyone else's five.

Oh gently caress that's great.

Especially as I am sure stephen kinnock has tried that in real life.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised that at least two of the nominations and three of the answers for Jess Phillips aren't 'Jess Phillips'.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Had a doctor's appointment today, and was only able to discuss one of the things I wanted to because they're that pressed for time they just have to move patients through as fast as they're able.

I'm sure the tories are going to increase funding sufficiently to start fixing this situation though! :v:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I’ll tease you with one more thing about the grand centrist theory, it’s not so much to do with the Jedi, but about the need for controls on space immigration (and the dangers of space Russia)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

thespaceinvader posted:

It's a theme of an AWFUL lot of current pop culture, that only the Specials can fix things, and mundane humans are either there to be saved, die tragically, or gape vapidly from the sidelines.

:elongate:

hasn't that always been the case though? I feel like it's only more recently that that kind of thing has been flipped and the idea of the Super Special Cool Guy has been challenged. Maybe mirroring the fact that more leftist interpretations of history and society that centre ordinary people's stories and efforts have become more common

If people aren't celebrating capitalism and billionaires as much, or learning how the world was shaped by Clive of India or whatever, fiction that pushes those same tropes starts to look a bit weird and dated if you're into themes

(also was it Jenny)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Josef bugman posted:

You mean the Jedi that upheld the Capitalistic and humanocentric Galactic Senate and gleefully enabled slave keeping at the edge of the galaxy whilst emotionally damaging a lot of their members?

The Jedi should end, just because the Sith are dreadful doesn't mean that the Jedi are that much better.

Shoutout to the time some Jedi were on the fringes of civilized space and ended up finding a kid with mega Force potential, but he and his mom were slaves. So they negotiated to buy them. And partook in legal, if sketchy, means to get the funds for it. And then were fine with it when the slaveowner said he would only sell one.

(Also the idea that Galactic Republic bux are worthless on Tatooine is a bit silly, it might have been more awkward to convert them to local currency but it's not like if you go anywhere on Earth the US Dollar just straight up doesn't matter. You might not be able to convince a random store to take them but you can probably talk someone making a bespoke, high-value trade into it, even if you have to throw in a little extra to sweeten the deal or something.)

Having them go "Welp, Force Persuasion doesn't work, guess we have to do everything by his rules" is the most liberal thing ever lol, quite literally talking didn't work and we're all out of ideas.

e; I too could have given endless Scalding Takes on SW if I was able to appear on the pod lol

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yer a royal, Harry

But I'm just Harry

Well, "just Harry" you are a royal

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Have you tried therapy

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ash Crimson posted:

Have you tried therapy
:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010