Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I dunno if this has been brought up before, and heck if I am reading 22 pages, but I think more studios should do something about spiders.

Every goddamn game has loving spider enemies, and I know quite a few arachnophobes. None of those games have options for, y'know, not literally triggering a phobia without warning.

I think I can count on one finger the number of games that have had an arachonophobe mode toggle, which turned every spider enemy into a kitten. and it was from a minor indy studio, though I forget literally everything else about it except that part.

This should become more commonplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

I dunno if this has been brought up before, and heck if I am reading 22 pages, but I think more studios should do something about spiders.

Every goddamn game has loving spider enemies, and I know quite a few arachnophobes. None of those games have options for, y'know, not literally triggering a phobia without warning.

I think I can count on one finger the number of games that have had an arachonophobe mode toggle, which turned every spider enemy into a kitten. and it was from a minor indy studio, though I forget literally everything else about it except that part.

This should become more commonplace.

I imagine some of the thought process is "If they fear spiders, then they must hate them, thus they must want to kill them!"

Spiders are naturally creepy making for good enemies. They get a bad reputation out of it unfortunately.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
my friend won't play skyrim because of the spiders ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the folks are deffo out there.

even after Charlotte's Web, we're still dealing with people not liking spiders?? come on, culture.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Spiders are good and our friends

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Spider enemies definitely gently caress me up. Especially the chittering sound

When I was a kid I had a dream I fell into a closet and a swarm of spiders was crawling all over me.

Also, I lived out in the country and our neighbor collected reptiles and spiders. Eventually we had what looked likeba tarantula but it would chase you and they jumped
loving terrifying

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Lazy_Liberal posted:

my friend won't play skyrim because of the spiders ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the folks are deffo out there.

even after Charlotte's Web, we're still dealing with people not liking spiders?? come on, culture.

The only mod I used in Skyrim was the one that turned the spiders into bears. Its not that my phobia is so bad I can't play games with spiders, I just really don't enjoy it. It's always some dark Webby cavern loaded with hundreds of them, and then weird sexualized spiders with tits too. I'm looking at you EverQuest and Diablo!!

A comparison would be a game that makes you torture someone. I think gta5 had a torture mini game if I remember correctly. It's not it's as bad as actual torture, but it makes me uncomfortable and want to stop playing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiders don’t bother me but water monsters sometimes do. The hydra in Dark Souls was a struggle for me even though it’s a pretty easy miniboss. I just didn’t like having to get so close to a bottomless water pit to attack it.:cry:

I was like gently caress this when I saw the second one in Ash Lake and ran past it. The game got me good there with what happens when you do that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

It's the same people that are "screaming" over every mildly amusing thing, "shaking with rage" about celebrity drama, etc. That is to say: no, in real life people aren't actually bothered that much, but they ratchet everything up to 1000 for clicks online. People used to do it here with "gently caress the ocean" and stuff like that, it's just kind of how online discourse + engagement motive (whether for humor or profit) shakes out 🤷‍♀️

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about victims of assault and racism and poo poo that's actually terrible and a legitimate reason to be careful with our words, I'm talking about clickbait nonsense and video game arthropods. I'm also not saying that phobias don't exist and that some percentage of people actually won't be able to play animal crossing. Those people exist, and it's unfortunate for them and I hope they get the appropriate help.

It seems like every subsequent post has disagreed with this lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Spiders don’t bother me but water monsters sometimes do. The hydra in Dark Souls was a struggle for me even though it’s a pretty easy miniboss. I just didn’t like having to get so close to a bottomless water pit to attack it.:cry:

I was like gently caress this when I saw the second one in Ash Lake and ran past it. The game got me good there with what happens when you do that.

The hydra beaches itself and dies while you laugh until you realize you have a long walk ahead of you?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They're a really boring enemy type because you don't have to do any work to make a scary thing for your game, just pick the default scary monster. So many developers do it now too, Witcher 3 has like three different ones they added with the DLC. I'd like to see some cool gross monster thing like a RE1 Chimera or something out of Silent Hill instead of them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's A Thing :shrug:

for me it's bugs, but thankfully I never had a problem with Hollow Knight (even deepnest, although it was just the right amount of unsettling) due to the stylization. Monster Hunter World on the other hand is the first game that has really given me trouble because the bugs in it (particularly hornetaur and the insect glaive) look pretty photorealistic and maybe worse, moves realistically. It's a shame because the insect glaive is a very fun weapon, too (give me more event weapons where instead of a bug it's like, a bird or a spirit or something, please!)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The only thing that makes me clench up in games is a long fall. Even if there's no fall damage. But I involuntarily hold my breath during big falls even if I know there's no risk whatsoever.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Scorpions do it for me. I mean most enemies in games are stylized enough to not make me feel weird but god drat Fallout 1 and their stupid rad scorpions. loving took photos of them moving and just pixelated it.

I need to leave this state.

Heath posted:

The only thing that makes me clench up in games is a long fall. Even if there's no fall damage. But I involuntarily hold my breath during big falls even if I know there's no risk whatsoever.

Haha I get that stomach drop feeling during long falls. Even in 2d games which makes me incredibly embarrassed.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Heath posted:

Yep. Every drat time with this.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Also this. Half Life was super fun and great, and then there is that big rear end shark thing and I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Also Half Life should come to Switch.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Heath posted:

Lemme tell you, the first time this happened in VR I had that sensation where your stomach starts rising up. It didn't help my falling problems!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR intensifies both falling AND spiders it’s rad.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Social Animal posted:

Haha I get that stomach drop feeling during long falls. Even in 2d games which makes me incredibly embarrassed.

I absolutely get it from 2D games. It doesn't seem to matter whether the game is in 2 or 3D.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just thought it was worth saying since the Playstation thread had some people being babies about spiders the other day. Personally I love spiders. Gimme more spiders and crabs in games.

It just can be hard to take the walls writhing and chittering and oozing with centipedes, with wriggling pits of them, that even integrates with the in-game fear of one of those wriggling bits of Deepnest being an enemy to pop up and attack you. They're clearly creatures that were not meant to be; a scourge that the mantis tribe kept at bay. I'm not even sure there's really a lore explanation for them like there is with the spider tribe.

I really need to go back and finish that game. I only had one dreamer left.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The centipedes are nothing, because you are mighty, and have a nail

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I would never not play a game because of phobias and people that do frankly need to get a grip, and I say this as a person who used to get actual vertigo from playing jump maps on counter strike while in the middle of a spell of brain bad

That being said, the thing that I find most unsettling/disturbing yet am also strangely compelled to do in games is glitching through the boundaries and either falling forever, watching your plane of existence fracture into weird polygons as the engine struggles to render wtf is happening eventually disappearing into nothingness, or being able to run for eternity into a featureless void

No clip cheats and Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 awakened this fear/desire in young me

Skyrim had some pretty loving weird poo poo in this realm too which I discovered for myself, one of the quests towards the end of the main dragon questline takes you to some outdoor instance that's not connected to the main map and it was easy to jump through the invisible barriers and you ended up in an endless pool of shallow water where all kinds of weird poo poo like shadow towers and dragon encounters and the ghostly windows of whiterun could be found

Cool poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drowning does it for me. The moment gameplay takes me into a cramped underwater area with potentially drowning I get tense as poo poo even if I know logically it is usually easy and short

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I can deal with spiders and falls in games. What fucks me up is deep, open water. Especially when there is or might be poo poo in there.

They're absolutely harmless but the giant whales in Beyond Good and Evil scare me more than legit horror games. I needed to photograph them for completion but I jumped every time they got too close.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Heath posted:

VG, could you please ban all sentient spider posters? Tia

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lot of goons in here outing themselves as real lovely against people who have phobias

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I can deal with spiders and falls in games. What fucks me up is deep, open water. Especially when there is or might be poo poo in there.

They're absolutely harmless but the giant whales in Beyond Good and Evil scare me more than legit horror games. I needed to photograph them for completion but I jumped every time they got too close.

Never Forget

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I dunno my brain has never had any issues separating what I see on screen vs reality so I've never been able to relate to the "OMG spiders!!!" crowd.

Like y'all get that the thing can't harm you right? I'll give you a pass on VR because that can be pretty wild/confusing on the senses but otherwise don't be so dramatic for the sake of it

Obviously this doesn't apply in cases where there's an underlying psychological reason, past trauma, etc

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

KingSlime posted:

Like y'all get that the thing can't harm you right?

I feel like you don't get what phobias are.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Heath posted:

glad we have at least one sane poster here

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

well you see, phobias don't make logical sense and i consider myself a logical person ergo i simply choose not to have any phobias. don't know why everyone else doesn't do the same

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just thought it was worth saying since the Playstation thread had some people being babies about spiders the other day. Personally I love spiders. Gimme more spiders and crabs in games.

It just can be hard to take the walls writhing and chittering and oozing with centipedes, with wriggling pits of them, that even integrates with the in-game fear of one of those wriggling bits of Deepnest being an enemy to pop up and attack you. They're clearly creatures that were not meant to be; a scourge that the mantis tribe kept at bay. I'm not even sure there's really a lore explanation for them like there is with the spider tribe.

I really need to go back and finish that game. I only had one dreamer left.

Deepnest is absolutely amazing. The oppressive sound design and claustrophobic layouts are perfect. I hate spiders and I loved that area, although I was constantly dreading the inevitable spider boss that never came, or maybe I just failed to find it?

It’s the only part of the game that really feels like the setting is bugs underground, rather than just dark souls with more legs.

And yeah if you have an actual bug phobia then do not play this game. Phobia toggles would be good in other games but I think this one would be unfixable.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 21, 2020

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

stev posted:

I feel like you don't get what phobias are.

To be fair I might be confusing dramatic overexaggerations with genuine phobias because of how much that word has been abused by practically everyone

Do all phobias include imagery of the source of fear as well or not necessarily? I'm definitely not an expert on this

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Wonder what wrong opinions are being posted in the Nintendo Switch thread tod-

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

well you see, phobias don't make logical sense and i consider myself a logical person ergo i simply choose not to have any phobias. don't know why everyone else doesn't do the same
:hmmyes:

also for me personally it has a lot to do with immersion. I don't so much mind other people using the insect glaive in monster hunter, but using it myself and seeing that giant realistic beetle clawing onto my character's arm at all times just makes me extremely unnerved.

Soricidus posted:

And yeah if you have an actual bug phobia then do not play this game.
counterpoint: I do and nothing in the game really registered in my brain as "bug" :shobon: In fact I didn't even get that they were supposed to be bugs until someone called it Bug Souls in a conversation, because they're just cute cartoony characters with no bug-like textures or movements.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Cyber Bullying digital phobias Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Close Your Eyes Haha

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Sure, I get that having an immobilizing and uncontrollable fear of tiny bugs genuinely sucks but:

Your Computer posted:

they're just cute cartoony characters with no bug-like textures or movements.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

KingSlime posted:

To be fair I might be confusing dramatic overexaggerations with genuine phobias

As do most people on the internet who claim to have phobias

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Your Computer posted:

counterpoint: I do and nothing in the game really registered in my brain as "bug" :shobon: In fact I didn't even get that they were supposed to be bugs until someone called it Bug Souls in a conversation, because they're just cute cartoony characters with no bug-like textures or movements.

That’s really interesting! I agree for like 90% of the game, but deepnest specifically was different and only just tolerable for me with all the skittering spiders and so on, and I don’t have an actual phobia afaik, although most bugs horrify me in a way nothing else seems to. I guess diversity is a thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

eonwe posted:

Honestly the cheesiest way is to stay back, Igni it until it catches fire and let the entire fire DoT run, and then keep doing that

What I ended up doing was just Aard, hit twice, dodge backwards until it goes into the air, repeat

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

DOOM chat:
Monster infighting in DOOM 1/2 is the best. I really wish more games would make it a thing because it just adds a layer of chaos and satisfaction to fights. It's also really awesome that you can play all the DOOMs on the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Spiteski posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Cyber Bullying digital phobias Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Close Your Eyes Haha

Yeah well this is what i instinctively do when the sun's gravity pulls me off the surface of the comet i'm on before i can sprint back to my ship in Outer Wilds,

but lemme tell ya

real hard to play a game with your eyes closed
and having walked out of the room