Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Didn't I see today that Alan Dershowitz is on Donny's defence team for his impeachment?
Yes, yes he is. He's been outright accused of raping girls supplied by Epstein, and none of these fucks seems to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I had a question about all the soldier cosplay stuff that we saw today.

For all the people kitted up I was wondering. If you had actually served, especially in a very non-infantry type of role, would you have any idea how to properly equip/wear all that gear?

Alternate question: Were any of the people dressed up likely actual veterans, or just guys who want to dress like army mans?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes, yes he is. He's been outright accused of raping girls supplied by Epstein, and none of these fucks seems to care.

Well, they cared enough to have Epstein whacked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That Works posted:

If you had actually served, especially in a very non-infantry type of role, would you have any idea how to properly equip/wear all that gear?

It depends on how close to infantry you were, but for a lot of the military, no. Unless you actually looked into it on your own, but most folks don't get trained on that stuff.

Edit: Although it seems pretty obvious that most of that poo poo is super uncomfortable because it's too small or obviously wrong (knee holster guy).

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

That Works posted:

For all the people kitted up I was wondering. If you had actually served, especially in a very non-infantry type of role, would you have any idea how to properly equip/wear all that gear?

Alternate question: Were any of the people dressed up likely actual veterans, or just guys who want to dress like army mans?

1. Probably not.
2. Not a loving chance a significant number of them have served in the last 40 years. I'd put my money on the largest veteran demographic there being Vietnam vets. They're just playing very expensive dress up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

They were mostly kitted up in random poo poo, no real rhyme or reason besides "it looks cool" because they're literally only using it for looking like a tool.

And yes, even in support roles, you're going to learn how to put on gear properly and use it. Then you'll go lay in mud, sand, snow an get all your gear really dirty so you have to clean it, which wears at the look even more. The more used the gear, the rougher it will look. None of the poo poo on display today looks like it was used before.

In terms of what you learn as a support soldier, that's what boot is for, and why infantry is its' own career path. You get the basics and occasionally some training thrown in over your time, if applicable.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm not being sarcastic here but I feel like every year for the last 5 years I've heard that this year the flu is really bad and the vaccine isn't particularly effective.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm not being sarcastic here but I feel like every year for the last 5 years I've heard that this year the flu is really bad and the vaccine isn't particularly effective.

Are you dead? No? Then its working.

I mean, realistically you may have caught a variant/mutation that isn't in the flu shot, it does happen. But overall, the flu shot remains effective.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Like someone said upthread, these are all the patriots who would have joined but would have punched out a drill sergeant.

Or their service records are classified.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The sum total of my weapons training in the navy was:

1) an online course on the M9 which was the second worst, most useless NKO course I've ever done (government travel card still takes the top slot)

2) being handed a pistol at the range and basically being told "shoot X number of rounds at the target, go".

If you come at me with a surface task group or a flight of Su-30's I know what to do. If you come at me with a pointy stick I'm pretty much hosed.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

They don't teach hand to hand combat to Army infantry anymore, unless you choose to do it in your free time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Now that I think about it, most of the navy cats I know have next to no weapons experience. Really is a different beast of branch.

Different branch, different standards. I assume the army still makes people qualify yearly to maintain their weapons status.

An NKO/AKO pistol course sounds as terrible as I imagine it is.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lol the only hand to hand we ever got was when myself and another dude did a class on judo and wrestling for "leadership development"

It turned into hilarious slapfighting MMA wannabe almost immediately.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hand to hand is rather outdated anyhow. It can still apply, but is about as useful as a bayonet course.

Army killed bayonet training a while back too.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Now that I think about it, most of the navy cats I know have next to no weapons experience. Really is a different beast of branch.

Different branch, different standards. I assume the army still makes people qualify yearly to maintain their weapons status.

Yes, everyone in the Army is required to maintain a valid qualification on their assigned weapon, generally an M4 or M9 unless you are a grunt with a machine gun. They're valid for a year, and like every other mandated qualification, keeping everyone current is like wrangling cats.

Edit: I've only known one person who I could verify used "hand to hand combat" in a real life situation. Dude got shot in the right hand through his rifle, rendering both pretty much useless, so he used his helmet to beat some Iraqi to death. I didn't believe the story until I saw the write-up in the Silver Star he was awarded for that day's action.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 20, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Man, I don't understand why people shy away from the range. I always enjoyed them, because I wasn't under a leaking humvee all day for it.

Oh and they have a decent pistol now, assuming the M17 roll out is going smoothly. I saw Sig was selling contract excesses a month or so back.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

It's not them being right since the whole mythology they've built up around it is that the Clintons had him murdered, and Donnie and one of his lawyers aren't definitely kiddie fuckers.

Don't forget (((decadent Hollywood))).

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Man, I don't understand why people shy away from the range. I always enjoyed them, because I wasn't under a leaking humvee all day for it.

Because it's usually waiting around for hours until you get to shoot 40 rounds, and then you have to spend another couple of hours after everyone is done picking up brass. Shooting is fun, but like everything fun, the military ruins it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh yeah, I get that, but I tended to enjoy them anyhow. Misery loves company and all that jazz. I mean, I get why the people who practically live in headquarters buildings all day don't care for it, because range days are often the days nature is like "gently caress you, 17°F high for the day" but I was outside all the time anyhow.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The sum total of my weapons training in the navy was:

1) an online course on the M9 which was the second worst, most useless NKO course I've ever done (government travel card still takes the top slot)

2) being handed a pistol at the range and basically being told "shoot X number of rounds at the target, go".

If you come at me with a surface task group or a flight of Su-30's I know what to do. If you come at me with a pointy stick I'm pretty much hosed.

The amount of training/familiarization your get with small arms in the Navy is a joke. Everything I know about the M9 I had to figure out for myself.

:imunfunny:

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 20, 2020

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Late to the party but some of those guys look like they could have been nukes.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am not an infantryman but I spent a lot of my career with infantry units and spent time as an instructor for combat arms stuff. The Marine Corps has a lot of latitude for how varied career paths can be.

It’s still dumb as poo poo and the worst of the branches.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sharknado slashfic posted:

Maybe confirmation bias. This years is shaping up to be bad but not because the vaccine formulation was wrong. Last year and 3 years ago were very mild flu years. 2 years ago was real bad.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nature turning homes into snow forts.

https://twitter.com/NWSCLE/status/1219143345781403653?s=19

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

For gear to fit correctly, you need to sweat in it. To get it to fit naturally, you need to sweat in it a lot. Same with rucks. The more sweat equity you put in, the better off you'll be in the long term, comfort wise.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You know, until your spine implodes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

How long was your recovery time? Could have been that you got the high fever but symptoms abated faster. Flu can go >105F depending on the person / other health factors.

I think the vaccine is still good for the predicted strain, but another strain has diverged and spread alongside it. I need to go back and read up more on it, I just saw a little blurb in some of the infectious diseases reporting stuff I follow.

I was running a fever for about 3 days. Only feeling close to 100% today so about 2 weeks to get over the cough and general miserableness. I don’t think I’d had a fever above like 100.5 since I was 10.

Kinda moot but the guesswork they have to do each year for the flu vaccines is pretty interesting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I was running a fever for about 3 days. Only feeling close to 100% today so about 2 weeks to get over the cough and general miserableness. I don’t think I’d had a fever above like 100.5 since I was 10.

Kinda moot but the guesswork they have to do each year for the flu vaccines is pretty interesting.

Sounds consistent with the general disease. Hard to say that the vaccine helped at all in that case. Probably not tbh but yeah it's hitting a moving target so every year is different on effectiveness. Given there's no downside to getting them, I always recommend it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Guys I travel extensively for business and got a keffiyah/ shawl thing while I was in africa because it was hot and useful. I sometimes use it in cold climates to shield my face or as a fashion accessory because I am a vain idiot but.....

Am I being lumped in with those cosplaying tool bags when I wear one in public if it's cold or hot and windy?

Please provide guidance

- An SoF Marine
I was never in

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Obviously global warming isn't real if this is happening

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I love and hate that excuse. It points out so clearly how people don't understand the difference between climate and weather.

Waroduce posted:

Am I being lumped in with those cosplaying tool bags when I wear one in public if it's cold or hot and windy?

Please provide guidance

- An SoF Marine
I was never in

Unless you're wearing it while kitted out in 5.11 or other camo poo poo or open carrying a rifle, nah, you're fine.

It's one of the weirder military trends but it didn't originate with the military so it's not immediately associated with it, but lots of idiots seem to think it is.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 21, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

It's not them being right since the whole mythology they've built up around it is that the Clintons had him murdered, and Donnie and one of his lawyers aren't definitely kiddie fuckers.

Except when they hated Dersh (because of OJ)

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

They don't teach hand to hand combat to Army infantry anymore, unless you choose to do it in your free time.

When did they get rid of combatives? I have a friend who was a commander on sand hill last year or so sharing pictures of his recruits doing it?

I know they got rid of boxing and pugil sticks like a decade plus ago.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

not caring here posted:

20% disability

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Guys I travel extensively for business and got a keffiyah/ shawl thing while I was in africa because it was hot and useful. I sometimes use it in cold climates to shield my face or as a fashion accessory because I am a vain idiot but.....

Please provide guidance

- An SoF Marine
I was never in

That’s about 1000% more authentic than some dude who bought a $30 “tactical wrap” so I don’t think you have anything to worry about. I bought my hand-woven keffiyeh in the Sinai Peninsula 10 years ago and it’s my favorite winter accessory.

My problem is I grow out a beard during the winter and I’ve been wearing wraparounds since I was like 16; I try to offset this look by wearing mountain biking t-shirts and flannels but I’m always afraid someone’s going to think I’m a vet bro or some alt-right Shitler or something.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

not caring here posted:

Checks out.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Got my flu shot in October. It didn’t matter because I got hit really loving hard right after New Years. I’m talking a low grade fever, sinus infection, two ear infections, and bronchitis all in the same week. The ear and sinus infections were the worst. I still can’t hear properly 6 days into anti biotics treatment.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got the shot in October. Last week I ended up with something that gave me chills, fatigue, ache, and killed my appetite. The latter still hasn't really come back.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

When did they get rid of combatives? I have a friend who was a commander on sand hill last year or so sharing pictures of his recruits doing it?

I know they got rid of boxing and pugil sticks like a decade plus ago.

They weren't teaching it as of 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe they brought it back. I know that they don't teach bayonet courses, at the very least. Too many people accidentally dying from self inflicted stab wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I got the shot in October. Last week I ended up with something that gave me chills, fatigue, ache, and killed my appetite. The latter still hasn't really come back.

bloops posted:

Got my flu shot in October. It didn’t matter because I got hit really loving hard right after New Years. I’m talking a low grade fever, sinus infection, two ear infections, and bronchitis all in the same week. The ear and sinus infections were the worst. I still can’t hear properly 6 days into anti biotics treatment.

Just wanted to mention that both of these could be entirely due to non-influenzae infections. Rhinovirus, adenovirus etc can all knock down things to the extent that you can get some fun secondary infections. Definitely fits in the envelope of ear, sinus and bronchial infections.