Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I thought the internet turned on Avengers precisely because the characters didn't look like the actors from the movies, or is that :thejoke:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

I thought the internet turned on Avengers precisely because the characters didn't look like the actors from the movies, or is that :thejoke:?

Half correct, the issue is that it's obvious Square-Enix wanted the characters to look like the actors in the movies, but they don't have the money or licenses to do so. So Square-Enix did the worst thing possible, they tried to get it as close as possible, and the results are this very weird looking uncanny valley look that is distracting. The complaints from fans are that if you're going to do it, do it right and go all out (get the actual likeness or even the actors themselves on board) or do something closer to the comicbooks, not the MCU.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hah. That's the most Square move imaginable. We have a clear moneymaker lined up, let's ruin it with a bizarre development choice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah the problem is everything matches the movies except the faces (because gently caress paying RDJ a cool 5 mil or whatever he charges). So it looks like a group of cosplayers.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I've never really liked superheroes, so I'm not the target audience for this game, but it seems self-evident even to me that, with Marvel stuff so much in the zietgiest, they should have payed the RDJ tax. There's no way it wouldn't sell like hotcakes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

homeless snail posted:

vtubers are actually hosed up because theyre all run by massive japanese marketing firms and the voice actors don't own the rights to their characters, and some of the shittier companies will swap out voices if they think they're getting too uppity

kizuna ai is like 6 voices deep now

This is also why Hatsune Miku is bad.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

stev posted:

Yeah the problem is everything matches the movies except the faces (because gently caress paying RDJ a cool 5 mil or whatever he charges). So it looks like a group of cosplayers.

They should have gone all in on the cosplay angle and given you a character creator for each hero

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To be fair, I think by the time the Avengers game started development, Robert Downey Jr. and a few of the other actors were on their way out from MCU. They wanted to end it with Avengers Infinity War / Endgame, and with how massive those movies were, that is all they had time to do. Scarlett Johansson is doing like one more Marvel movie and then I think she is out for good as well. She is more interested in doing smaller movies that are vastly better (Jojo Rabbit, and Marriage Story are both really good).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

stev posted:

The faces and hair styles also look nothing like the comic book characters, so it's extra bizarre. Like I can live with a Tony Stark who doesn't look or sound like RDJ in an MCU world, but instead he looks like a hippie with frizzy hair? Like what on earth. There's a bunch of cartoons that are tied into the MCU where the character designs are nowhere near the movie actors, and none of them get this "This is a fake Iron Man" reaction from me. I think the realistic art style means they definitely used real people as the models and the ones they picked just look completely wrong for the part.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 20, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

within five years scarlett johansson will be playing Rosa Parks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/JackBox/status/1217520771787968512

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i guess that's what we're calling chili dogs now, another corruption in the hotdog sandwich war

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I can't believe 'no ethical consumption' Sonic sold out

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Updating the Sonic wiki now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

within five years scarlett johansson will be playing Rosa Parks

remember in the ghost in the shell film they hired a japanese actress just to play the japanese woman who gets her mind moved into a white womans body so scarjo can play her

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I gotta be honest, he still looks a little bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stux posted:

remember in the ghost in the shell film they hired a japanese actress just to play the japanese woman who gets her mind moved into a white womans body so scarjo can play her

That film was so awful. Scarlett Johansson playing an Asian character was terrible, and the worst part of the movie, but there were a lot of other things about it too that made the live action adaptation god awful. It just wasn't anywhere close to being an accurate adaptation of the classic anime film. It was like someone tried to recreate the anime, having never seen it, but a friend told them the basic premise and then they went from there.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

this is NOT canon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Looper posted:

this is NOT canon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Chili dogs may be the most popular but tacos are also canon
https://twitter.com/MistressDove/status/1219336780933189632

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ghost in the Shell is one of only 2 films I've walked out a cinema rather than watch. The other was Pixels. Both were free tickets but they were utter mince.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Lurdiak posted:

I gotta be honest, he still looks totally rad!!!!

fixed that for you! woooAaaahh!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

no....NOOO

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Sonic is constantly on the move and burns villages to the ground. He can still hear the screams

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I was interested in seeing the Sonic movie after seeing all of the work they did to actually listen to fans and change his appearance to be closer to the actual character, but

then I heard about how much crunch time was involved to make all of the fixes, and how terribly the animators were treated and fired pretty much right after everything was fixed. So I don't really intend to see it as a result, I really don't wanna reward crunch and bad company practices.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rarity posted:

I can't believe 'no ethical consumption' Sonic sold out

I can

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Grimace posted:

I was interested in seeing the Sonic movie after seeing all of the work they did to actually listen to fans and change his appearance to be closer to the actual character, but

then I heard about how much crunch time was involved to make all of the fixes, and how terribly the animators were treated and fired pretty much right after everything was fixed. So I don't really intend to see it as a result, I really don't wanna reward crunch and bad company practices.

Movie production studios are always like this, crunch everyone and then fold. I think the Matrix trilogy bankrupted two production companies.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

eating nothing but cholesterol makes you super fast, got it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wow Sonic is just like me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Wow Sonic is just like me

Sonic is cool, yes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm replaying Hands of Fate 2, forgot how good that game is!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDIeIs_yb_I

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Never realized my hero and the savior of Planet Mobius, Sonic T. Hedgehog, has my exact diet!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

My favorite Japanese streamer is the guy who's the co-star on Kamen Rider and does vlogs where reads twitter memes about his overacting.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Never realized my hero and the savior of Planet Mobius, Sonic T. Hedgehog, has my exact diet!

When Sonic 3 came out I was the same age as Knuckles and he liked grapes, just like me!

I foolishly liked Knuckles over Sonic for the next 5-6 years.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

When Sonic 3 came out I was the same age as Knuckles and he liked grapes, just like me!

Trying to beat the final boss of Sonic 2 & Knuckles cured me of that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MysticalMachineGun posted:

No that's the right choice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Knuckles rules, he doesn't mess around.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unlike Sonic he don't chuckle, he rather flex his muscles.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp18OG3Tmhg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become