Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Iron Prince posted:

You’re probably thinking of kolaches. Czech people in Texas came up with the common variety around here. I’m pretty sure they’re technically not kolach, but that’s what everyone calls them anyways. Basically just a pig in a blanket. Usually has sausage and cheese or ham, but some of the fancier joints do fruit fillings or others.

I know this type of kolache is really common around the Houston area and is considered to be somewhat of a regional speciality with dozens of chains and stores specializing in them.

I like how the top one is really bummed out.

ed: ugly food snype

Pigsfeet on Rye has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This made me laugh real hard and nobody gave you credit for it. So here I am. Giving you credit.

Edit: I'm gonna :mayo:. And then I'm gonna put gochujang in it.

Fartington Butts has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Jan 19, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

If it's as good as the pickles, it's spectacular.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

this poor guy wanted pizza so bad

I mean

y'all talk poo poo about Little Caesars but maybe they should be a public good, like fire stations, because look at what he did

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I do love a sour beer...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Like you've never had hotcumber

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Spend more time in the beer thread, this is child's play my friend.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sir Lemming posted:

Spend more time in the beer thread, this is child's play my friend.

link me to the beer thread please

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

zedprime posted:

It's hard enough getting Hill and swamp people to say kolache, most of the southern bakeries just call the savory ones kolache too.

That's the only one I've ever seen make a distinction for klobasniky.

I get what you're saying. Hruška's is also awesome for pickles and jams and other "Amish" fare, which seems weird to me. Tasty, regardless.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

My dark :mayo: business.

Gettin' started. No "whiff" of cayenne because I was gonna add gochujang.

Had to yell for someone to bring me a real whisk. The thing I was using was no bueno.

Mayo done. Seems tasty.

The stuff.

It was not enough of the stuff.

It is enough of the stuff.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
what do you plan to use the gochujang mayo for? seems like it would fill roughly the same niche as sriracha mayo, but for some reason it makes me want like, a cuban sandwich but with that mayo instead of mustard.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Surprised they didn't call it a bruschetta or a pan con tomate

vegan pizza

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Gochujang is pH 5ish and depends upon being fermented for avoiding spoilage, although lots of commercial brands will do pH exactly 4.58

Sriracha is 4ish, often reported as 3.9. Recall pH is log scale

Traditional gochujang recipes do not add garlic or vinegar. Sriracha has vinegar as a material component. Gochujang is a salt ferment only but Sriracha is a salt and acid ferment. Sugar is added after the ferment in Sriracha but during for gochujang. Different varietals of pepper are used for both, including a basically proprietary one for Huy Fong Sriracha.

There is never meju in Sriracha. If you buy gochujang without meju, you didn't buy gochujang, you bought like some industrial simulacrum of gochujang.

bob dobbs is dead has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Jan 20, 2020

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The gochujang mayo tastes way better than any sriracha mayo I've made. Might do some pulled pork sammiches for it tomorrow.

Edit: Or maybe not pulled pork. For some reason I have a buncha sausages. Might slice 'em and make sammiches or quesadillas with 'em.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Mushika posted:

I believe you're thinking of klobásníky, which a lot of people bundle together with kolache. Kolache are the sweet variety. Klobásníky are the savory, pig in a blanket variety. Hruška's in central Texas does both very well and I always try to stop there when visiting family in Austin. It makes a particularly good stop on motorcycle trips for gas/food/bathroom/rest breaks.

Yeah, a lot of places here sell the savory klobasniky alongside a more traditional fruit filled kolach, but everyone lumps them into the same general “kolache” category. It’s not technically right, but they’re all pretty good. I’ve yet to see a kolache crime.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

I’ve had it and would recommended it a thousand times over. It is so loving good. I routinely stop by my local HEB on my way home just to see if they have it back in stock.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Iron Prince posted:

I’ve had it and would recommended it a thousand times over. It is so loving good. I routinely stop by my local HEB on my way home just to see if they have it back in stock.

I would.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I need to get some Best Maid sour pickles.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

reminded me instantly of costco kimchi

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

a very wet possum posted:

reminded me instantly of costco kimchi

i know kimchi can be a condiment

but a plate full of condiments

does not a kimchi make

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

i know kimchi can be a condiment

but a plate full of condiments

does not a kimchi make

For extra points, pour that poo poo in your purse for later and make yourself a second plate for now. No one's gonna stop you, that poo poo is free!

(We called it Costco Salad down Ulsan way.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

LordSaturn posted:

link me to the beer thread please

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054&pagenumber=1637

Go forth and learn all about pickle sours

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Delightful salads

The tube is actually a very useful type of majonnäs container.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is mayo in tubes a Euro only thing? It's not super common but it's definitely still around, but I've never seen it in any kind of US media

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Condiments in tiny tubes like that is pretty much not a thing in the US. We demand our condiments in huge squeeze bottles

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Fishstick posted:

Is mayo in tubes a Euro only thing? It's not super common but it's definitely still around, but I've never seen it in any kind of US media

It's in glass jars and plastic bottles too but tubes are the most common container.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Fishstick posted:

you can find them in Euro stores in the Pacific Northwest of the US at least, if you're into that sort of thing..

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hell, I think you can find 'em at Ikea.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm down.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Yeah that looks fine. You're being weird again.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

A really old pic of a DOUBLE lobster that I ate at a Chinese restaurant up in Toronto.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

My only issue is the pickle part. I hate pickles. Make it regular pork rinds, and same.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I was not prepared to see pikachu tits today :gonk:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Tribladeofchaos posted:

The "daddy" makes it extra special :unsmigghh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Don't worry, this Pikachu is male, he's ripped

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't worry, this Pikachu is male, he's ripped
This is true. Females have heart-shaped tails.

(My kid is just growing out of his Pokémon phase.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hirayuki posted:

This is true. Females have heart-shaped tails.

(My kid is just growing out of his Pokémon phase.)

You do not need to explain
on the Something Awful internet forums
why you know a thing about Pokemon
with an excuse about actual children